Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Manning and Luck [Mega-merge]

WoolMagnet

If we get the #1 pick, the Colts will draft Luck, and keep Manning too if he's healthy. According to Irsay and Polian.

You are probably right.. that doesn't mean it is the best decision... If some team is really going to offer 6 first round picks... Nobody and I mean nobody coming out this year is worth picking in the place of 6 first round picks! It doesn't have to be 6 first round picks... think of the next 3 years of first and second round draft picks.. and some scattered mid round selections this year and next.. How foolish would the Colts be to not entertain trade offers and drive up the value of the pick! Maybe that's what Polian is doing all along!!!!

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a way, this is a win-win situation. The Colts either get the next great QB or they trade the pick to get lots of picks. In another way (depending on your perspective), it's a lose-lose situation. The Colts either take the QB now and risk not taking enough talent to give the team a ring now or they don't take the next great QB and look like fools to the rest of the world.

I don't see any problem with the two QBs co-existing on the same team. Some people say they don't want the two to co-exist. Some say they can't co-exist because they are both starter material. If Manning is healthy, I don't see what is wrong with us taking Luck. Manning is a catalyst for this team, on offense and defense. Scoring lots of points on offense will allow our front 7 to unleash their speed and do what they do best. When Manning plays on offense, it allows our defense to do what they do best. So it's not as though the defense is terrible, it's just built a certain way. When allowed to play to the way they were built, the defense is very good. In fact, when we have been relatively healthy in the past, we have had some solid defense in terms of total yards allowed and points per game.

You are probably right.. that doesn't mean it is the best decision... If some team is really going to offer 6 first round picks... Nobody and I mean nobody coming out this year is worth picking in the place of 6 first round picks! It doesn't have to be 6 first round picks... think of the next 3 years of first and second round draft picks.. and some scattered mid round selections this year and next.. How foolish would the Colts be to not entertain trade offers and drive up the value of the pick! Maybe that's what Polian is doing all along!!!!

True, you never know what is really going on behind closed doors. The only way we would know is if Irsay told us on his twitter haha

I would actually faint if we pulled something like that off!Or could you imagine also receiving d.ware,kerrigan,landry,haden or ford depending on our trading partner?!SSSSSSSSWWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!

True, you never know what is really going on behind closed doors. The only way we would know is if Irsay told us on his twitter haha

He would, but it would be in some kind of a code! You are right about the post above this one, it can either be a win win or a lose lose...but you can't assume they can coexist, and that the team will be Super Bowl contenders. In all fairness this was the winless team two weeks ago, it still have all those gaping holes throughout the team. I understand Luck wouldn't be as big of a cap hit as say 2 years ago... but it is still a cap hit at a position, when healthy, we have the games very best! Taking Luck really ensures what many think will be a bright future, but it will only take away from the Colts the next four years. That's $4 million dollars a season gone, where two or three rookies could take the same cap hit! If the Colts take Luck and he is a bust, that would be more detrimental to the team, then passing on luck for 6-8 draft picks, where even half of them don't live up to be stars.. as long as half pan out, that beats having one player worth all that value turn into a BUST! Then the Colts are right back where they started....

I would actually faint if we pulled something like that off!Or could you imagine also receiving d.ware,kerrigan,landry,haden or ford depending on our trading partner?!SSSSSSSSWWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!

Exactlly picks and players... if Lust is as Bust it would be worse to the Colts then if they traded him for picks and players and Luck turned out to be the next great thing! If Luck was the next great thing, I don't think he is more important than having 6 good players on a team, or even 3 good players! Imagine having Revis, Suh, and Troy P.. If the Colts could get the next three versions of these players, they would be a much better team! Even with Danny O and QB! Even the next Vontae Davis, Erick Berry, and Gerald McCoy, I would take over Luck!

I think if we trade the luck pick to a team; that teams draft picks might be later in the draft in following years.

It really depends who we trade the picks with.. Cleveland will be bottom feeders the next few years even with Luck. The kid is not NFL proven and would face Baltimore and Pittsburgh four times! Even if it wasn't them an it was Washington or Miami, we are talking difficult conferences...

Exactlly picks and players... if Lust is as Bust it would be worse to the Colts then if they traded him for picks and players and Luck turned out to be the next great thing! If Luck was the next great thing, I don't think he is more important than having 6 good players on a team, or even 3 good players! Imagine having Revis, Suh, and Troy P.. If the Colts could get the next three versions of these players, they would be a much better team! Even with Danny O and QB! Even the next Vontae Davis, Erick Berry, and Gerald McCoy, I would take over Luck!

Me too!And if push-come-to-shove,then i would still be willing to accept the brownies two first this year,and their second and third and that's all.But i would also push for joe haden in that situation.

Nobody is considering what the draft picks could brign talent wise.. and because of Polian's recent track record many would rather have Luck over the picks/players.. but seriously what would make this team better... A good to great Andrew Luck

or

Having three to four top 40 talents in this years draft, four top 60 talents in both of the following years?

Imagine if just half of them pan out to be solid to good players... so at key positions

The next Terrance Knighton NT Jags (Solid) to the next Suh (Good)

The next Eric Berry SS Chiefs (Solid) to the next Larron Landry (Good)

The next Vontae Davis CB Dolphins (Solid) to the next Aquib Talib (Good)

Thats just half of them panning out to be solid to good! I would take Terrance Knighton, Eric Berry, and Vontae Davis on the Colts over having just Luck! And thats if they turn out to be just solid players! And that still only represents half of them actually being solid and the rest being busts!

He would, but it would be in some kind of a code! You are right about the post above this one, it can either be a win win or a lose lose...but you can't assume they can coexist, and that the team will be Super Bowl contenders. In all fairness this was the winless team two weeks ago, it still have all those gaping holes throughout the team. I understand Luck wouldn't be as big of a cap hit as say 2 years ago... but it is still a cap hit at a position, when healthy, we have the games very best! Taking Luck really ensures what many think will be a bright future, but it will only take away from the Colts the next four years. That's $4 million dollars a season gone, where two or three rookies could take the same cap hit! If the Colts take Luck and he is a bust, that would be more detrimental to the team, then passing on luck for 6-8 draft picks, where even half of them don't live up to be stars.. as long as half pan out, that beats having one player worth all that value turn into a BUST! Then the Colts are right back where they started....

The thing is Manning covers up a lot of the holes. For example, one of the holes on defense is stopping the run. However, when Manning has put up points and we are beating the other team by 10+, the other team will try to pass the ball more than they will run. Our run D won't be as exposed.

I definitely see what you're saying though. We do have a lot of holes on the team and trading the first pick to another team to get a multitude of picks would really help us bring in more talent. People like to say that's the short term solution. I don't see why. It's not like those players will be around for 4 years, then once Manning retires, they're gone too. Those players will be with the team for, presumably, the better part of a decade and maybe even more

If the first pick truly means that we lose manning,then i want the second pick.I willnot accept luck over manning...ever.If we have the first pick,then its likely that luck is selected,but then traded an hour later.But during that hour i'll be nervous as heck.

Why do you think picking Luck means Manning is gone. The F.O. already has said they have no problem having both

Why do you think picking Luck means Manning is gone. The F.O. already has said they have no problem having both

It will be a huge mess.There's no way luck signs,and if stubborn bill refuses to trade him,then what?That would crush our franchise,especially if we could've landed a boatload of picks.Everybody just assumes that luck must accept being drafted by us.He doesn't.There's alot he could do.

It will be a huge mess.There's no way luck signs,and if stubborn bill refuses to trade him,then what?That would crush our franchise,especially if we could've landed a boatload of picks.Everybody just assumes that luck must accept being drafted by us.He doesn't.There's alot he could do.

I doubt he's gonna pull an Elway and threaten to go play baseball... From what he has been saying, he seems to be cool with the idea of sitting behind Peyton.

I doubt he's gonna pull an Elway and threaten to go play baseball... From what he has been saying, he seems to be cool with the idea of sitting behind Peyton.

But at the same time, Luck has to say that or Red Flags will be drawn about this guy not being a team player.. not saying its not true, but of course he will say he has no problem sitting when deep down, he wants to play, and he wants to play right away!

The thing is Manning covers up a lot of the holes. For example, one of the holes on defense is stopping the run. However, when Manning has put up points and we are beating the other team by 10+, the other team will try to pass the ball more than they will run. Our run D won't be as exposed.

I definitely see what you're saying though. We do have a lot of holes on the team and trading the first pick to another team to get a multitude of picks would really help us bring in more talent. People like to say that's the short term solution. I don't see why. It's not like those players will be around for 4 years, then once Manning retires, they're gone too. Those players will be with the team for, presumably, the better part of a decade and maybe even more

Seriously what would you rather have:

A good to great Andrew Luck

or

Having three to four top 40 talents in this years draft, four top 60 talents in both of the following years?

Imagine if just half of them pan out to be solid to good players... so at key positions

The next Terrance Knighton NT Jags (Solid) to the next Suh (Good)

The next Eric Berry SS Chiefs (Solid) to the next Larron Landry (Good)

The next Vontae Davis CB Dolphins (Solid) to the next Aquib Talib (Good)

Thats just half of them panning out to be solid to good! I would take Terrance Knighton, Eric Berry, and Vontae Davis on the Colts over having just Luck! And thats if they turn out to be just solid players! And that still only represents half of them actually being solid and the rest being busts!

I have no problem trading the #1 pick if the price is right. I agree experts have been wrong before and if it means two high first round picks versus one, adding a second round pick, sure why not? This team badly needs depth and better players in starting positions. We still need a QB for insurance and a good one, because Manning won't be around forever. I don't think it's Luck or nothing, this is a very solid QB draft. I have no problem drafting RGIII if he goes this year and then getting a CB, O-line and if we can get a power running back that would help as well.

If the first pick truly means that we lose manning,then i want the second pick.I willnot accept luck over manning...ever.If we have the first pick,then its likely that luck is selected,but then traded an hour later.But during that hour i'll be nervous as heck.

If colts draft luck they will NOT trade him.

I've seen cousins play I love cousins. I want colts to take him if we can't get luck but why do u think he's bettter then luck? Just curious.

That's the problem those who want Luck want the co-existance, and I don't think it will work out!

I seem to agree with you alot.Yes,you're right.We cannot have both and our fanbase is dead wrong in thinking this.There's no way luck sits even one year and no way peyton splits snaps with this guy in practice.Ain't gonna happen.

Are you serious? That's how you talk to people posting on the message board.

Yes, Im serious! Are you? There was nothing out of line with my question to him.

He often does that to people on here.Its not unusual for him.

I often do what? Tell people the truth??? You're right, I do that often.

If manning can be 100% and play like he has the last couple yearst then manning.

But if there is any doubt that maybe pm isn't the same as he use to be its time to move on. I think it's hard to pass on such a great prospect like luck though.

If colts draft luck they will NOT trade him.

I've seen cousins play I love cousins. I want colts to take him if we can't get luck but why do u think he's bettter then luck? Just curious.

I think its the value the Luck pick brings that makes Cousins more appealing... Many including myself would rather see a good all around team around Manning for once, and not just the most NFL loaded QB depth chart in the game.. with scattered pieces here and there... Cousins is someone who could be drafted later, who could sit on the bench, and be a developmental project with serious upside!

The team would not benefit from having both, it would prevent them from filling holes on the team by having both! Why? Because Luck would bring a multitude of picks for his value to address holes, even back-up QB if necessary! It would keep the Colts from reaching Super Bowls short term, while also affecting rebuilding long term... Manning still needs a team around him, Luck only takes away from that with his cap hit!

I think its the value the Luck pick brings that makes Cousins more appealing... Many including myself would rather see a good all around team around Manning for once, and not just the most NFL loaded QB depth chart in the game.. with scattered pieces here and there... Cousins is someone who could be drafted later, who could sit on the bench, and be a developmental project with serious upside!

You've really done your homework,so kudos to you!I think cousins upside is much better than luck.Andrew has already peaked.