Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dwayne allen's goal to play faster

12isthenew18

Almost certain that comes down to Andrew Luck not Pep

Almost certain he needs to run routes to get the ball, champ. And he needs routes in which he's one of the main targets, not just a safety valve/distraction.

This is not a Luck problem. Under BA, Allen was one of Luck's favorite targets.

Almost certain he needs to run routes to get the ball, champ. And he needs routes in which he's one of the main targets, not just a safety valve/distraction.

Again, Pep does control all of that but Luck still decides who gets the ball

And with all these weapons, Allen might be getting even less attention. Luck loves his stay at the Hilton (Pun intended) and now with the vet AJ, he may look to him much like he always looked to Reggie

Comes down to Allen, Pep, Luck, and the OL holding it together.

Yep. I get what Legacy is saying but Luck determines it. It's been numerous times Luck missed the wide open WR and threw a dangerous pass. Allen could be that open guy. But I really like what Grigson has done, stacked the offense and now it forces Pep to get creative to keep everyone happy and get everyone involved. If Pep can handle that, this offense will easily be top 3

This probably is the most talented group Pep has ever had cause he definitely didn't have this kind of receiving talent at Stanford

Under BA, Allen was healthy and on the field. 

Under BA, Allen was healthy and on the field.

I'm not buying that excuse. Allen saw a lot of snaps last year, but he was used as glorified 6th lineman who occasionally would run a dump off route. I agree he wasn't 100% last year but that doesn't account for the misuse.

At least, Pep and Andrew realized DA's value in goal to go territory.

I'm not buying that excuse. Allen saw a lot of snaps last year, but he was used as glorified 6th lineman who occasionally would run a dump off route. I agree he wasn't 100% last year but that doesn't account for the misuse.

and as I said in another thread, IMO that was far more to do with the inconsistencies with the OL and pass blocking than it was Pep saying "hey, I don't want to target Dwayne Allen that much!". 

That's really not accurate. He played 788 offensive snaps, and ran a route on 382 of them, 48.4%. He was targeted 60 times, 15.7%. He was used as a pass blocker on 85 of the 467 pass plays he was on the field for, 18.2%. Yards per pass route run was 1.42.

In 2012, he played 994 offensive snaps, and ran a route on 422 of them, 42.5%. He was targeted 70 times, 16.6%. He was used as a pass blocker on 134 of the 556 pass plays he was on the field for, 24.1%. Yards per pass route run was 1.41.

That means he ran pass routes on a greater percentage of total plays in 2014, and was targeted slightly less percentage-wise. It's not Pep using him as a glorified blocker. If anything, he's not getting as many targets when he does run routes, but that's negligible. He played 200 fewer snaps and only saw 10 fewer targets. No one is phasing Allen out or neglecting him in the passing game. He's just not been healthy, and hasn't played as many snaps.

Again, Pep does control all of that but Luck still decides who gets the ball

And with all these weapons, Allen might be getting even less attention. Luck loves his stay at the Hilton (Pun intended) and now with the vet AJ, he may look to him much like he always looked to Reggie

When Dwayne Allen is constantly the 4th/5th target, Luck won't be looking at him unless the rest of the group isn't getting open. It's called progression and Luck is one of the best at it.

That's really not accurate. He played 788 offensive snaps, and ran a route on 382 of them, 48.4%. He was targeted 60 times, 15.7%. He was used as a pass blocker on 85 of the 467 pass plays he was on the field for, 18.2%. Yards per pass route run was 1.42.

In 2012, he played 994 offensive snaps, and ran a route on 422 of them, 42.5%. He was targeted 70 times, 16.6%. He was used as a pass blocker on 134 of the 556 pass plays he was on the field for, 24.1%. Yards per pass route run was 1.41.

That means he ran pass routes on a greater percentage of total plays in 2014, and was targeted slightly less percentage-wise. It's not Pep using him as a glorified blocker. If anything, he's not getting as many targets when he does run routes, but that's negligible. He played 200 fewer snaps and only saw 10 fewer targets. No one is phasing Allen out or neglecting him in the passing game. He's just not been healthy, and hasn't played as many snaps.

You set me up, you SOB haha. Good stuff. Maybe I'm giving too much credit to BA and not enough to Pep. Either way, a healthy DA needs to be involved more.

When Dwayne Allen is constantly the 4th/5th target, Luck won't be looking at him unless the rest of the group isn't getting open. It's called progression and Luck is one of the best at it.

well that I disagree with.  He's certainly improved since his rookie year, but consistently reading his progressions is not something I'd say Luck is currently one of the best at. 

well that I disagree with. He's certainly improved since his rookie year, but consistently reading his progressions is not something I'd say Luck is currently one of the best at.

You're right, he misses RBs and Dwayne Allen too often. haha

Sometimes Luck locks on and it gets him in trouble, but on the whole he is very good at getting through his progressions. Maybe not Peyton Manning good but still very good nonetheless. It's especially impressive when you consider how Luck works the pocket whilst still reading the field.

And of course Luck is still progressively progressing his process of progression.

You set me up, you SOB haha. Good stuff. Maybe I'm giving too much credit to BA and not enough to Pep. Either way, a healthy DA needs to be involved more.

Wasn't trying to set you up. I think I posted that a few months ago... But yeah, it's mostly about Allen being healthy and on the field. I think he will be. Now he has to distinguish himself consistently, because there's no shortage of receiving options this year. I'm curious about how the offense will evolve. 

well that I disagree with.  He's certainly improved since his rookie year, but consistently reading his progressions is not something I'd say Luck is currently one of the best at. 

He's one of the best at reading his progressions while running for his life.  Let's hope he gets a little more time to do his reading this season.

As for Allen, I'm pretty sure we're still playing with one ball.  Everyone has to eat.

Wasn't trying to set you up. I think I posted that a few months ago... But yeah, it's mostly about Allen being healthy and on the field. I think he will be. Now he has to distinguish himself consistently, because there's no shortage of receiving options this year. I'm curious about how the offense will evolve.

I know you weren't, I was just messing around.

I just think using DA in any role less than how the Cowboys use Witten is a waste of an incredible talent.

He's one of the best at reading his progressions while running for his life. Let's hope he gets a little more time to do his reading this season.

As for Allen, I'm pretty sure we're still playing with one ball. Everyone has to eat.

This!!

Now this I definitely agree with :)

True, DA needs to be utilized more beyond just blocking Jason. And for the record, neither CL or Superman are SOBs...Just 2 people who know what in the hades they are talking about 98% of the time. Nobody's perfect just darn near flawless right fellas.  :P

I just think using DA in any role less than how the Cowboys use Witten is a waste of an incredible talent.

Good point. Witten is an asset to the Cowboys & INDY needs to find more create ways to get our other TE the darn ball. 

Wait, did I just say something complementary about another Cowboys offensive player? First Dez in another thread & now Jason. Oh the humanity! 

His goal needs to be to play healthy. Kinda tired of all these guys on the Colts not being healthy while other players who are 100% don't get attention. I think that's why they phased him out of the offense last season. Fleener was always 100% and on fire.

Dwayne Allen is amazing when healthy but I'm not holding my breath on him like last off-season. Keep feeding Fleener IMO.

You're right, he misses RBs and Dwayne Allen too often. haha

Sometimes Luck locks on and it gets him in trouble, but on the whole he is very good at getting through his progressions. Maybe not Peyton Manning good but still very good nonetheless. It's especially impressive when you consider how Luck works the pocket whilst still reading the field.

And of course Luck is still progressively progressing his process of progression.

While I am sad to see Reggie go and did not like seeing him get hurt last year or the year prior, I think Reggie's injuries will be the best thing for Luck's future.  As a rookie, Wayne was Luck's blanket and I thought Luck really struggled to read thru progressions (a bad OL did not help with that).  In year 2, Luck didn't seem to show me much as far as improvement in that area until a few games after Wayne went down and he was forced to learn.  Last year, prior to Reggie's injury he and TY were getting about equal looks (54 targets to Reggie compared to 59 for TY prior to the Cincy game).  From the Cincy game until the Washington game -- TY was targeted 42 times compared to Reggie 41 times --  it was the game against Cleveland when I believe we realized how bad Reggie was banged up that game TY got 19 targets with 10 receptions to Reggie's 8 targets with 1 reception.  Come post season, TY was targeted 28 times to Wayne's 5 targets.  Anyway, once everyone seemed to know how bad Reggie was, it is obvious that he stopped getting the looks and TY became much more of a focus.  Unfortunately, when team's realized they didn't have to worry about Reggie (after Cleveland), TY's connection rate dropped from 65.5 % (78 receptions on 119 targets) to 38.5% (15 receptions on 39 targets). 

The point I'm trying to make here is, losing Reggie in year 2 and having Reggie banged up in year 3 forced Luck to look away from Reggie, which IMO is ultimately a good thing.  However, it became quite clear TY became much more of a target to Luck.  It is very difficult to figure out what happened with Fleener/Allen/Nicks after Reggie's injury compared to before as their target and catches per game are kind of all over the board last season.  It is quite apparent that Moncrief began to receive a lot more looks starting the week after Cincy. 

I still think Luck has work to do in this area (progression reading), but an improved line plus the experience he got after losing Reggie or playing with a banged up Reggie I think will be hugely beneficial to Luck as we go into this season with by far the deepest WR corps he has worked with.  Along with what should be an improved OL, I expect to see Luck make a big leap here.

His goal needs to be to play healthy. Kinda tired of all these guys on the Colts not being healthy while other players who are 100% don't get attention. I think that's why they phased him out of the offense last season. Fleener was always 100% and on fire.

Dwayne Allen is amazing when healthy but I'm not holding my breath on him like last off-season. Keep feeding Fleener IMO.

Fleener needs to improve his consistency.  I don't know if it is all on him, or a big part of it due to game planning, but he was definitely not always on fire.  In the blowout loss to NE, he was targeted 7 times and caught all 7 for 144 yards, which was one of 2 times all year he had over 100 yards receiving.  Fleener followed that game up with 2 catches on 4 targets for 28 yards and just 2 weeks prior to that had 1 catch on 4 targets for 4 total yards.  His overall connection rate (reg and post season) was 55.2% (58 catches on 105 targets).  Fleener definitely had moments of brilliance last year, but he had a lot of flux in performance between weeks.  Some of it, of course, may be part of the game planning, but I think a lot of it has to do with Fleener still learning his way as a professional.

Allen was targeted much less, but had a higher connection rate of 63.5% (40 catches on 63 targets -- in 16 games compare to 19 games for Fleener).  While Allen has not been able to stay as healthy as Fleener, he seems to be more consistent when he is on the field.  He's not getting the yards or targets Fleener is, which definitely seems to be part of how he is used in the system and probably also due to the injury bug.  That said, 8 TDs in 13 regular season games is pretty darn impressive and shows that we are using him effectively in the RZ (16% of his targets in regular season resulted in TDs compared to 8 % of Fleener's). 

I can see the Colts keeping Allen and Fleener and letting TY walk. I just think Hilton will command too much money, and if Moncrief continues to grow and if Dorsett and Carter show promise, letting him go wont be as painful as people may think.

But I love TY and want him to be a Colt forever. But we shall see.

While I am sad to see Reggie go and did not like seeing him get hurt last year or the year prior, I think Reggie's injuries will be the best thing for Luck's future.  As a rookie, Wayne was Luck's blanket and I thought Luck really struggled to read thru progressions (a bad OL did not help with that).  In year 2, Luck didn't seem to show me much as far as improvement in that area until a few games after Wayne went down and he was forced to learn.  Last year, prior to Reggie's injury he and TY were getting about equal looks (54 targets to Reggie compared to 59 for TY prior to the Cincy game).  From the Cincy game until the Washington game -- TY was targeted 42 times compared to Reggie 41 times --  it was the game against Cleveland when I believe we realized how bad Reggie was banged up that game TY got 19 targets with 10 receptions to Reggie's 8 targets with 1 reception.  Come post season, TY was targeted 28 times to Wayne's 5 targets.  Anyway, once everyone seemed to know how bad Reggie was, it is obvious that he stopped getting the looks and TY became much more of a focus.  Unfortunately, when team's realized they didn't have to worry about Reggie (after Cleveland), TY's connection rate dropped from 65.5 % (78 receptions on 119 targets) to 38.5% (15 receptions on 39 targets). 

The point I'm trying to make here is, losing Reggie in year 2 and having Reggie banged up in year 3 forced Luck to look away from Reggie, which IMO is ultimately a good thing.  However, it became quite clear TY became much more of a target to Luck.  It is very difficult to figure out what happened with Fleener/Allen/Nicks after Reggie's injury compared to before as their target and catches per game are kind of all over the board last season.  It is quite apparent that Moncrief began to receive a lot more looks starting the week after Cincy. 

I still think Luck has work to do in this area (progression reading), but an improved line plus the experience he got after losing Reggie or playing with a banged up Reggie I think will be hugely beneficial to Luck as we go into this season with by far the deepest WR corps he has worked with.  Along with what should be an improved OL, I expect to see Luck make a big leap here.

Fleener needs to improve his consistency.  I don't know if it is all on him, or a big part of it due to game planning, but he was definitely not always on fire.  In the blowout loss to NE, he was targeted 7 times and caught all 7 for 144 yards, which was one of 2 times all year he had over 100 yards receiving.  Fleener followed that game up with 2 catches on 4 targets for 28 yards and just 2 weeks prior to that had 1 catch on 4 targets for 4 total yards.  His overall connection rate (reg and post season) was 55.2% (58 catches on 105 targets).  Fleener definitely had moments of brilliance last year, but he had a lot of flux in performance between weeks.  Some of it, of course, may be part of the game planning, but I think a lot of it has to do with Fleener still learning his way as a professional.

Allen was targeted much less, but had a higher connection rate of 63.5% (40 catches on 63 targets -- in 16 games compare to 19 games for Fleener).  While Allen has not been able to stay as healthy as Fleener, he seems to be more consistent when he is on the field.  He's not getting the yards or targets Fleener is, which definitely seems to be part of how he is used in the system and probably also due to the injury bug.  That said, 8 TDs in 13 regular season games is pretty darn impressive and shows that we are using him effectively in the RZ (16% of his targets in regular season resulted in TDs compared to 8 % of Fleener's).

My point was that when they actually use Fleener, he's on point. Idk why but Pep greatly underutilized the TEs last season, and Andrew often would Terry to force passes to Reggie and Hilton. So it's probably a combination of things. I've seen many times where Fleener is wide open up the seam and Andrew throws it somewhere else.

I like Allen better as a red zone threat. Fleener is the real threat. Idk if it was Collins or Hightower they Pats put on him, but they couldn't stop him that game. He's a mismatch against most linebackers. But if this is the season we start to use our TEs again, I'd give Fleener more snaps as long as he doesn't cause interceptions like he used to.

My point was that when they actually use Fleener, he's on point. Idk why but Pep greatly underutilized the TEs last season, and Andrew often would Terry to force passes to Reggie and Hilton. So it's probably a combination of things. I've seen many times where Fleener is wide open up the seam and Andrew throws it somewhere else.

I like Allen better as a red zone threat. Fleener is the real threat. Idk if it was Collins or Hightower they Pats put on him, but they couldn't stop him that game. He's a mismatch against most linebackers. But if this is the season we start to use our TEs again, I'd give Fleener more snaps as long as he doesn't cause interceptions like he used to.

All things being equal, Allen should undoubtedly see more snaps than Fleener, due to his far superior blocking (he's a better receiver too but I won't mention that).

And Fleener was one of the most used TEs in the league last year. He ran more routes than Gronk.

Allen also played on average 12% fewer snaps per game than he did in 2012. 

OK....   I'll bite....

How did Fleener -- a tight end -- cause interceptions?

I think in the three plus years I've been here,  this is the first time I've seen this assertion.

I look forward to this explanation...........

Good point. Witten is an asset to the Cowboys & INDY needs to find more create ways to get our other TE the darn ball. 

Wait, did I just say something complementary about another Cowboys offensive player? First Dez in another thread & now Jason. Oh the humanity! 

Outside of Dez & T.O., Witten has been the lynchpin of the Cowboys passing game for over a decade. As long as we have as many talented pass catchers as we do now, it'll be hard for Allen to put up Witten numbers unless we run the offense through him & Fleener going forward.

OK.... I'll bite....

I think in the three plus years I've been here, this is the first time I've seen this assertion.

Was wondering that one myself

OK....   I'll bite....

I think in the three plus years I've been here,  this is the first time I've seen this assertion.

He used to cause a lot of interceptions because Luck would throw him a passed where only he could get it and the ball should pop right out of his hands and then a defender would catch it. In general, a lot of phases that were intended for Fleener would get intercepted because he couldn't hang on to the ball. This was more during the 2013 season though. I remember one person broke it down and said that during that season Fleener was responsible for 3-4 of Luck's 9 interceptions.

He used to cause a lot of interceptions because Luck would throw him a passed where only he could get it and the ball should pop right out of his hands and then a defender would catch it. In general, a lot of phases that were intended for Fleener would get intercepted because he couldn't hang on to the ball. This was more during the 2013 season though. I remember one person broke it down and said that during that season Fleener was responsible for 3-4 of Luck's 9 interceptions.

Yeah personally I think you're getting some bad info from someone who's just mad that the colts drafted fleener instead of an OL or defender