Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ranking NFL O-lines :Colts 18th

Lawrence Owen

Confirmed we're not pursing Mathis so you can throw that out the window

Yeah I just seen that. I'm hoping we still do anyways. I don't get why we wouldn't. Seems like a sure, quick way to improve the line.

More of a prediction really in my opinion, I think the reality ends up being we finish in the 20's again in rushing and under 45 carries of 10+ yards with 100 hits on the QB though with under 30 sacks, I just don't see Herremans making a big difference

More of a prediction really in my opinion, I think the reality ends up being we finish in the 20's again in rushing and under 45 carries of 10+ yards with 100 hits on the QB though with under 30 sacks, I just don't see Herremans making a big difference

You could be correct, but I'm pretty sure the staff and FO are banking on the young interior players (and either JM or GC at RT) progressing...so, in other words, it isn't just Herremans that in theory can make the line better. 

Alot of that had to due with Injuries and inexperience from the linemen.  I am hopeful (knock on wood) that there will not be nearly as many injuries to the starters as there were last year.  Cohesion plays a very big role in how the line works.

You could be correct, but I'm pretty sure the staff and FO are banking on the young interior players (and either JM or GC at RT) progressing...so, in other words, it isn't just Herremans that in theory can make the line better. 

Im hoping the O Line makes a big jump, Just not sold that's going to happen

LT Anthony Castonzo, LG Donald Thomas, C Khaled Holmes, RG Todd Herremans, RT Jack Mewhort

B/Rs projected starting lineup is the exact starting line* I predicted before the draft, assuming Gosder wasn't good to go. Although, I'd also like to see someone like Donald Thomas get a shot at center since there is a lot of G depth and center is our biggest question mark.

I think a line of Castonzo, Reitz, Thomas, Herremans, Mewhort would succeed in having the best players on the field.

*I had LG as TC battle between Thomas and Reitz.

I refuse to put any stock into anything written by someone who would take the Seahawks' or the Patriots' offensive line over the Browns' offensive line.

Agreed, the Browns line is much, much better than the 14th best unit and that's before including Cameron Erving.

well considering Everyone but Trent averaged 4.5-5 ypc, and Luck totals sacks ranked him 23rd in the NFL for most sacked, The O-line was not/is not, Nearly as bad as what the Media has been pouring over.

Not as bad as some believe, but nothing to brag about either. Still too many defenders in the backfield for the RBs and too many dirty pockets for Luck. Hopefully they show marked improvement this year.

Is this what passes for column write ups now? The Bleacher Report has never impressed me that much. Is there any analysis there at all? Hades no. Do they give out sports journalism degrees in a Cracker Jack box now? Sigh...

No disrespect to forum members BrentMc11 & NCF who worked hard for their degrees & would put any BR writer to shame. It just irritates me when any fool can list a projected starting lineup & mention who was injured last year. Are thought provoking reporters a dying breed now? Links like Lawrence's Owen's make me feel like it. 

I can't believe someone has our OL ranked at #18. They were last year our biggest weakness with our group of rb's not far behind. I hope I'm wrong but don't expect neither unit improving much this season.

As far as pursuing/signng G Mathis, it doesn't surprise me COLTS are rumored not to be interested.

That's not what we do( build our OL ).

Is this what passes for column write ups now? The Bleacher Report has never impressed me that much. Is there any analysis there at all? Hades no. Do they give out sports journalism degrees in a Cracker Jack box now? Sigh...

No disrespect to forum members BrentMc11 & NCF who worked hard for their degrees & would put any BR writer to shame. It just irritates me when any fool can list a projected starting lineup & mention who was injured last year. Are thought provoking reporters a dying breed now? Links like Lawrence's Owen's make me feel like it. 

Ok, I do not know how to feel about your post.  In a way it feels as though you're attacking me personally.  I am Not a sports annalist, I am a fan of the game whom saw something I wanted to share.  And was wanting feedback on it.  I can give reasons why I believe our O-line is not nearly as bad off as what a lot of people think we are..

1: Trent just sucked, every other RB played well, and averaged good yards per carry.

2: Luck was hit alot yes, but not sacked as much as most QB's. (though i agree some of that is due to Luck's elusiveness)

3: Continuity last year was horrible due to 11 different starting lineup's for the o-line due to injuries.  That was a curse, and a blessing.

With so many getting starting experience at different positions on the line, coaches now have a larger pie to work with this year. 

4: When Herremans fills a position, adding depth desperately needed.  This free's up guys like Mewhort whom can go to a position and master it rather than getting moved around to fill weak spots.  Extensive time on a single position for young guys are needed to play well.  transition to the NFL is hard enough, learning multiple positions just adds to the difficulty and slows progression. 

5: I do not see RT as a weakness for the o-line. We have 2-3 people whom can play this role well.  The real ? for me is the center.

Ok, I do not know how to feel about your post.  In a way it feels as though you're attacking me personally.  I am Not a sports annalist, I am a fan of the game whom saw something I wanted to share.  And was wanting feedback on it.  I can give reasons why I believe our O-line is not nearly as bad off as what a lot of people think we are..

Southwest1 has been around here for quite a while so I'm pretty familiar with him.  I'm pretty confident in saying that I don't think he meant his post towards you personally, but rather the article itself and its author.  He's a pretty straight shooter, if his beef was with you he would have made it more clear, though in a respectful way.  His 3rd person references to himself can be a bit annoying at times but he has always come off as a good guy from what I have seen. :)

I can't believe someone has our OL ranked at #18. They were last year our biggest weakness with our group of rb's not far behind. I hope I'm wrong but don't expect neither unit improving much this season.

As far as pursuing/signng G Mathis, it doesn't surprise me COLTS are rumored not to be interested.

That's not what we do( build our OL ).

Your the first person I've seen to mention the Colts are not interested in singing Mathis!  Everyone has jumped on that bandwagon.  I looked it up for myself, before I saw your post even, and that is correct!  I don't get why everyone sees a name and people drool from the mouth for them? 

Bogus.

If you read any article on Mathis they all say he needs to be on a zone heavy blocking team. It's not to say he couldn't help a power blocking team but if you want maximize his talent its zone blocking. It doesn't make sense for us.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/nfl-chip-kelly-evan-mathis-philadelphia-eagles-system/

http://www.ninersnation.com/2015/6/17/8795609/evan-mathis-could-make-sense-as-49ers-transition-their-blocking-scheme

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000496735/article/four-potential-landing-spots-for-evan-mathis

For me the success of the O-Line depends on the health and development of a few guys:

1. Hugh Thorton- Was our 2nd pick in the 2013 draft due to not having a 2nd. Didn't play great at all when he played at LG but I've heard RG is his natural position. If he can finally get it together we would have extra depth at RG behind Herramans.

2. Khaled Holmes- Finally saw him starting towards the end of the season. There have been questions about his health and toughness which is why Harrison might have got the start over him initially. I thought he played admirably towards the end of the season. If he can live up to hype, then we won't have to worry about C.

3. Donald Thomas-2 missed seasons but now he's finally healthy. He was signed to be the LG of the future but that never came to fruition. If he stays healthy and can start at LG it's perfect because Mewhort can kick out to RT. He's a big key though because if he goes down, they might put Lance Louis in at LG which is a disaster waiting to happen

Also Cherilus is am obvious one. If he's good to go, than there shouldn't be any issues on the line.

Average as hell seems about right to me.

I don't consider us the worst either or in that bottom grouping like many have often done too. I know every year lately fans say we have the worst o line in the league but I really do not think thats true at all.  I think that can sometimes be over reaction.

It's not close to the best, but not the worst group either IMO.

Much room to improve in it though absolutely.

If the Oline is at 18 or there abouts, where would most Colts fan put the Dline?

Cannot really rank the D-line right now. It has had a 1/2 face lift.  Kendal Langford, Henry Anderson, Parry, all new.  plus some of the larger guys have dropped weight.  The linebackers will look different also cause i think Irving will end up replacing Jackson sometime next season.  And Cole and the return of Mathis, the front 7 just seems like a different monster to me.