Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eagles release Evan Mathis [Merge]

21isSuperman

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We could cut GC to save some cap space. Sign Mathis. Castonzo at LT, Mewhort at RT, Reitz backup T. Mathis at LG, Herremans at RG, Thornton or someone else on the roster backup G. I'd feel quite good about that. Then it's just up to the center position, and someone to emerge there.

I think Mathis fits in well with the Vikes too. As you know, we have a hole at left guard. We were going to move our RG (Brandon Fusco) to LG and have the rookie Clemmings play RG. I would prefer playing Mathis at LG and keeping Fusco at RG.

You liked Clemmings a lot. He seems to be coming along well but he suffered an injury last week. I believe he was practicing again yesterday.

I think Mathis fits in well with the Vikes too. As you know, we have a hole at left guard. We were going to move our RG (Brandon Fusco) to LG and have the rookie Clemmings play RG. I would prefer playing Mathis at LG and keeping Fusco at RG.

You liked Clemmings a lot. He seems to be coming along well but he suffered an injury last week. I believe he was practicing again yesterday.

Yeah really most teams would be improved if they could get Mathis, Vikings included. He's a very good player, age concerns aside. The medical is a big concern with Clemmings. I also think since he's so new to the position, he's more of a project than a plug and play guy. He's a good athlete with good length, he played a tough, physical brand of football in college. But I do think it would've been better for him to land on a team that didn't necessarily need him in 2015. 

The Eagles -- where he really excelled -- have run far more zone than we do, even if it's not all zone. And we'd be paying him like he's going to make a huge difference. I'd hope he actually would.

Also, he's 33. Not a deal breaker, but reason to proceed with caution. 

You're so good at being sensible EVEN when I know you are not a big supporter of signing these aging vets.  :worthy:

Just out of curiosity... does this seem like a logical way to look at this?

McCoy was running well behind his Philly O-line and I just have to assume that taking their two vet guards and putting them in between Costanzo - Holmes/Harrison - Mewhort would equal something like 5YPC or more for Gore. Then, having the O-line back ups we have can't hurt either. I'm not saying we would be great but... as much as we switched it up on the line last year how could it hurt?

If Grigson thinks it would help the team then I am on board for the ride. I would hope that the guaranteed money would be on the low side to protect against the threat of injury.

I know there are other variables to consider in this scenario I have painted for you all but, keeping it simple at its core, would having Mathis and Herremans reunited lead you to believe our run game would improve? 

Just out of curiosity... does this seem like a logical way to look at this?

McCoy was running well behind his Philly O-line and I just have to assume that taking their two vet guards and putting them in between Costanzo - Holmes/Harrison - Mewhort would equal something like 5YPC or more for Gore. Then, having the O-line back ups we have can't hurt either. I'm not saying we would be great but... as much as we switched it up on the line last year how could it hurt?

If Grigson thinks it would help the team then I am on board for the ride. I would hope that the guaranteed money would be on the low side to protect against the threat of injury.

I know there are other variables to consider in this scenario I have painted for you all but, keeping it simple at its core, would having Mathis and Herremans reunited lead you to believe our run game would improve? 

I think it makes some sense. The Eagles had a tremendous O-line in 2013 - some injuries (including both Mathis and Herremans) slowed them down a bit last year but these guys have played some really good football together. With #12 at QB, the array of passing game options we have... If we could get our run game really rolling I think we could have one of the best offenses of all time this coming season. I really think it's worth trying to make it happen.

I'm all for anything that adds pop to our running game. This guy seems like a great piece to add some needed horsepower to our less-than-consistent run game. Can you imagine the pressure this offense is going to put on teams this year? It's going be like a multi-headed monster for an offense. If the finances make sense, I say we bite on Mathis and try and reel him in. He didn't go to Florida by chance did he?

I mean, Grigson wanted to sign him in 2012. 

I see Grigson (Based on all the interviews he has done to date and drafts and players brought in through FA and so on) as a GM who not only will bring in whoever it takes to improve the team (as long as it is a financially responsible move) but also as a GM who wont allow sticking to a particular scheme and getting players solely based on that scheme specific mold to get in the way of getting players who he thinks are good, Now that's not to say I agree with all his past decisions on who he thinks is good(I haven't) but I don't think he will allow a rigid scheme idea deter him from getting playmakers who make plays be it on the stat sheet or not, Mathis is clearly on the not category.

I mean, Grigson wanted to sign him in 2012.

Then maybe we get him. I'm all for it. Like I said in an earlier post it would the best O line we have put on the field for Andrew. At least on paper

It would be great if Mewhort could lock down RT. We would have our bookends.

I'd offer him two years 13m, up to 14m with incentives. 8m guaranteed.

Year 1: 2m signing bonus, 6m guaranteed roster bonus/salary. 500k for showing to all offseason activity and starting 16 gms. 7m in cap hit.

Year 2: 5m nonguaranteed salary, 500k again for "perfect attendance". 6m in cap hit if we keep him, 1m in cap hit if hes cut.

I think this would work for both sides, and we cut Cherilus, Thomas, or Louis for the roster spot/clearing cap space.

They have improved at RB. As far as receiver, does anyone outside of KC think Maclin was worth 11 per? Not to mention they snagged a 1st Rd WR to replace him.

They're lacking at guard but they have the best T/G trio in the league. I doubt their line is a big issue.

I have no idea what Chip is exactly doing but if you are going to jetson your best skill guys and you have a QB that has only played 50 percent of his career games than I would pony up for the line. From everything I have read here on this guy he can still play an elite level. When you have that the player is always worth it IMO.

I have no idea what Chip is exactly doing but if you are going to jetson your best skill guys and you have a QB that has only played 50 percent of his career games than I would pony up for the line. From everything I have read here on this guy he can still play an elite level. When you have that the player is always worth it IMO.

This is no different than the Mankins move last year. While we all did not understand what BB was doing, you strongly defended the move. In the same way, we don't know Chip's reasons for making this move. (I know, the Mankins move was a trade and the Pats received at least one player and a draft pick. It seems the Eagles tried to trade Mathis but could not get the deal they wanted.)

This is no different than the Mankins move last year. While we all did not understand what BB was doing, you strongly defended the move. In the same way, we don't know Chip's reasons for making this move. (I know, the Mankins move was a trade and the Pats received at least one player and a draft pick. It seems the Eagles tried to trade Mathis but could not get the deal they wanted.)

Not at all. Mankins was showing signs of decline and also often injured. And Bill had not jettisoned his top skills guys either or had a fragile QB behind center. And of course the Pats did pay big time at the start of the season when the Oline was a mess. Brady took a ton of hits and I and I would think if Bradford is under the same duress that he would go out injured given his history.

Per Rotoworld....

"Eagles released LG Evan Mathis.

This has been a long time coming for Mathis, who wore out his welcome under my-way-or-the-highway coach Chip Kelly. Mathis skipped voluntary workouts the past couple seasons in hopes of a trade or raise from the Eagles. Due a $5.5 million salary in 2015, Mathis wanted more entering his age-34 season. Now hitting the market at this stage of the year, Mathis would do well to make 75 percent of that. The Dolphins, Patriots, and Rams all reportedly expressed some level of interest in Mathis in recent months. When on the field, Mathis is still one of the best guards in the league."

I like the last sentence and it would provide so much depth and flexibility.  

This would not suck...

Joseph

I'd offer him two years 13m, up to 14m with incentives. 8m guaranteed.

Year 1: 2m signing bonus, 6m guaranteed roster bonus/salary. 500k for showing to all offseason activity and starting 16 gms. 7m in cap hit.

Year 2: 5m nonguaranteed salary, 500k again for "perfect attendance". 6m in cap hit if we keep him, 1m in cap hit if hes cut.

I think this would work for both sides, and we cut Cherilus, Thomas, or Louis for the roster spot/clearing cap space.

I have a strong feeling the Colts may release Cherilus anyways and Thomas is a sure lock to be gone. Might as well get it out of the way and sign one of the best guards in all of football..

I am all for releasing Gos if the penalty is not too bad.  But the reason we had to many different line starters last year was not due to lack of talent, it was due to injuries.  We have talent, and if these younger guys stay healthy, they develop a continuity that transforms into playing well, like they did late last season and early post-season.  I think we need a center more than anything.

Not at all. Mankins was showing signs of decline and also often injured. And Bill had not jettisoned his top skills guys either or had a fragile QB behind center. And of course the Pats did pay big time at the start of the season when the Oline was a mess. Brady took a ton of hits and I and I would think if Bradford is under the same duress that he would go out injured given his history.

I was referring to the Mathis move only. How many games did Mankins miss the year before the trade? That is a serious question. Mathis played in fewer than half the games last year; so, it isn't like he has not been injured. I also don't remember anyone saying that Mankins was "showing signs of decline". You defended the move by arguing only that the Pats needed the money to re-sign McCourty and Revis. The Eagles are making a business move just as the Pats did with Mankins.

Mankins was showing signs of decline and also often injured. 

And Mathis is 34 and was injured half of last season.  The only thing that's different is one move was made by the Pats, and one wasn't.

I was referring to the Mathis move only. How many games did Mankins miss the year before the trade? That is a serious question. Mathis played in fewer than half the games last year; so, it isn't like he has not been injured. I also don't remember anyone saying that Mankins was "showing signs of decline". You defended the move by arguing only that the Pats needed the money to re-sign McCourty and Revis. The Eagles are making a business move just as the Pats did with Mankins.

Mankins since 2010 had missed 13 games and played 2013 on a torn ACL. He let up the most sacks that year. If you check Patriots Planet from the last few seasons you will see the sentiment that he was declining. And Revis was already signed at the time the Pats traded Mankins. My point with the move last year was the fact that it was obviously a business decision but one that was ill-timed IMO given they did right before the start of the season and the Oline suffered the first month of the season with Brady taking a lot of hits as a result. And really, at this point Bill has earned the right to do whatever he wants with his track record and the line did come together to help with the SB so... Kelly does not have that type of latitude. He has not earned that yet. And again the situations are very different. The Eagles have a starting Qb that is very, very injury prone. Having a great Oline is paramount. Perhaps they feel they have enough with the guys they already have but my feeling is you pay him to keep Bradford upright. Kelly had already off-loaded some large contracts so the could have paid him.

You're so good at being sensible EVEN when I know you are not a big supporter of signing these aging vets.  :worthy:

I have nothing against it if the player is really good and the contract is sensible. Mathis is definitely the best guard to hit the market this offseason, despite his age. 

Mankins since 2010 had missed 13 games and played 2013 on a torn ACL. He let up the most sacks that year. If you check Patriots Planet from the last few seasons you will see the sentiment that he was declining. And Revis was already signed at the time the Pats traded Mankins. My point with the move last year was the fact that it was obviously a business decision but one that was ill-timed IMO given they did right before the start of the season and the Oline suffered the first month of the season with Brady taking a lot of hits as a result. And really, at this point Bill has earned the right to do whatever he wants with his track record and the line did come together to help with the SB so... Kelly does not have that type of latitude. He has not earned that yet. And again the situations are very different. The Eagles have a starting Qb that is very, very injury prone. Having a great Oline is paramount. Perhaps they feel they have enough with the guys they already have but my feeling is you pay him to keep Bradford upright. Kelly had already off-loaded some large contracts so the could have paid him.

How many games did Mankins play in last year?

And Chip Kelly does have that type of latitude. If he didn't Mathis wouldn't have been cut

How many games did Mankins play in last year?

And Chip Kelly does have that type of latitude. If he didn't Mathis wouldn't have been cut

Kelly is the head of personnel so he can do what he wants. Does not mean this does not come crashing down on him at season's end. His off-season has been bizarre. We will see how it all shakes out.

If Mathis wants to sign for $1.875m to play for the Colts, all my objections go away. People are talking about $8m/year.

Yeah that would pretty much take our cap right down to just over a mill over the cap, Cutting it to close. I'd probably go as high as 6 mill though. Im sick of watching our O Line crap the bed in the run game...Though truth be told Im 100x's more sick of what appears to be a lot of unnecessarily complicated run blocking design plays but that's a whole other discussion

Yeah that would pretty much take our cap right down to just over a mill over the cap, Cutting it to close. I'd probably go as high as 6 mill though. Im sick of watching our O Line crap the bed in the run game...Though truth be told Im 100x's more sick of what appears to be a lot of unnecessarily complicated run blocking design plays but that's a whole other discussion

Those blocking schemes look a lot better when the back has enough burst to get through the hole. But for me, the most intriguing staff move is having Hal Hunter work with Joe Gilbert as the OL coach. I don't know if that means something will change, but I'll be on the lookout. 

As for the cap, if Thomas and Cherilus go, we can easily absorb $6-8m/year.

I don't know where this idea comes from that the Eagles have no skill guys. They traded McCoy and let Maclin walk, but they signed Murray and Ryan Matthews to play RB. They drafted Jordan Matthews last year, and Nelson Agholor this year. Let's not act like the cupboard is bare.

As for Mathis, it's highly likely that he requested to be traded or released. If they wanted to get rid of him, they would have done so when they released their other vets.

Those blocking schemes look a lot better when the back has enough burst to get through the hole. But for me, the most intriguing staff move is having Hal Hunter work with Joe Gilbert as the OL coach. I don't know if that means something will change, but I'll be on the lookout. 

As for the cap, if Thomas and Cherilus go, we can easily absorb $6-8m/year.

We double a D Lineman(particularly with the Center) to much with our Guards. we make it easy for a ILB to just be patient and make the play on the RB..... just shoot the gap opened up by the helping Guard..... when the idea should be to get that Guard up on that ILB creating an automatic running lane