Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eagles release Evan Mathis [Merge]

21isSuperman

=O I just learned something new, i didn't knew the difference btw Waived and Relased XD

Never really thought about it like that myself. I always thought they were synonymous and I would just do some extra leg work to make sure the player was vested(ie. not on their first contract, i assume)

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

=O I just learned something new, i didn't knew the difference btw Waived and Relased XD

Sometimes the media uses them interchangeably, but there is a difference. Veterans with four years of experience aren't subject to waivers until after the trade deadline, through the end of the league year.

So both of these sites are wrong now?

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/gosder-cherilus/

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/indianapolis-colts/

If so, they are more worthless than some people make PFF out to be....

They're both right, but you're assuming that the dead money is all accounted for this year. Once you pass the cut off (which was moved up to May 12 this year), only this year's prorated bonus counts against this year's cap. The rest of it is accounted for in the following year. The way the bonus/dead money breaks down varies by contract, so they just show you the total dead money.

If you go to the OTC calculator and do a "June 1 cut" for Cherilus, it shows you how it would actually go against the cap. http://overthecap.com/calculator/indianapolis-colts/

no. He is a guard, and i think we have plenty of guards right now. we need a RT. We could use what little cap we have left to sign T.Y. to a long term deal instead.

Sign Mathis, Cut Cherilus, Kick Mewhort out to RT like he's been doing the past few weeks. Problem Solved

We'll keep 9-10 OL, barring injuries. In a vacuum, none of our guards are as good as Mathis. Scheme fit is a consideration, but let's assume he fits. He'd be our best guard. I'm fine with trimming the tree in order to make room for him on our final roster. Louis can go, Heenan isn't going to make it, the young tackles probably won't make it, and Thomas and Cherilus can go on the basis of injury history/projections anyways. Releasing those two immediately makes up for the cost of signing Mathis, assuming we get him on a reasonable deal. Under these parameters, Mathis would make our line better.

To me, the cost would have to be right, and the staff would (obviously) feel like he's a good fit. If those two things line up, it's an easy yes for me.

If we cut Gosder and Thomas this year we could save 4.35 M 2015, and the next year 9.96 M 2016 so if we pull the trigger we could give him around 14 M (this year guaranteed) /2 y, then we begin to give contracts to Castonzo and TY, we still have 12M to spend this year according to overthecap.

Edit: I changed the 10M to 14M i just saw that Mathis wanted a raise. I still think that 7M per year is a good deal to have a dominant OL.

Do you think he fits our blocking scheme (assuming we run what we've been running)?

I have no reason to believe he doesn't. It's not like the Eagles and Bengals teams he played on ran zone on 100% of their plays. He's arguably the best pulling guard in the NFL and I'm willing to bet that the Colts use pulling guards more than any team in the league.

Great players almost always succeed no matter what scheme they play.

They're both right, but you're assuming that the dead money is all accounted for this year. Once you pass the cut off (which was moved up to May 12 this year), only this year's prorated bonus counts against this year's cap. The rest of it is accounted for in the following year. The way the bonus/dead money breaks down varies by contract, so they just show you the total dead money.

If you go to the OTC calculator and do a "June 1 cut" for Cherilus, it shows you how it would actually go against the cap. http://overthecap.com/calculator/indianapolis-colts/

OK, so you would split it up over two years.  There no 'getting around paying' the dead money, just you can pay the prorated bonus and any guaranteed base this year and the rest accelerates to next next year.  Pay me now, or pay me later. And we are in the second part now.  Got it.

Looks like 2.9 million in 2015 and 5.8 in 2016.  Does indeed free up some space....

I have no reason to believe he doesn't. It's not like the Eagles and Bengals teams he played on ran zone on 100% of their plays. He's arguably the best pulling guard in the NFL and I'm willing to bet that the Colts use pulling guards more than any team in the league.

Great players almost always succeed no matter what scheme they play.

The Eagles -- where he really excelled -- have run far more zone than we do, even if it's not all zone. And we'd be paying him like he's going to make a huge difference. I'd hope he actually would.

Also, he's 33. Not a deal breaker, but reason to proceed with caution. 

If you can lock him in for a year, do it. Give him his 8 mil. He's got to understand this will be one of his last productive years. We have the cap space this year and we are in "win now mode". I don't like a deal longer than a year though. The stud packed 2012 draft class will need pages next year, but this year, spend every dollar we can to win the big one. We won't have this much cap space for free agents for at least another decade. Sign him to a one year deal(which will give him something to prove) and move on next year.

I am just worried that we are acquiring too much age.  If they can play yes, i get it,..but that is a roster spot a young promising player can have to develop into a good player.  People say to "Cut Gos to save cap"  But really doing that only free's up some.  Alot of that contract is guaranteed and we have to pay him whether he's on the team or not.  I'd rather use the excess cap to get a couple of those we need for the future like :A.C, T.Y, Fleener, and Allen signed.

Also, why would a team cut a "good" player at this point of the year?  there is a reason.  If he wanted too much and they just decided to let him go.....then why would you expect anything different here?...(cause of the Grigson connection? that would only go so far in terms on $$)

The Eagles -- where he really excelled -- have run far more zone than we do, even if it's not all zone. And we'd be paying him like he's going to make a huge difference. I'd hope he actually would.

Also, he's 33. Not a deal breaker, but reason to proceed with caution.

But there's no reason to assume he wouldn't play well in our scheme. And he was also just as good in Cincy as he was in Philly, if you were trying to imply otherwise with that "where he really excelled" part.

As for his age, it doesn't matter to me. He's shown no sign of dropping off and even if we get 1 1/2 seasons of elite play, it would be much better than the vast majority of free agent contract Grigson has given out.

OK, so you would split it up over two years.  There no 'getting around paying' the dead money, just you can pay the prorated bonus and any guaranteed base this year and the rest accelerates to next next year.  Pay me now, or pay me later. And we are in the second part now.  Got it.

Ehhh... the dead money is bonus that's already been paid. The intended contract structure allows for that bonus to be amortized evenly over the life of the contract, but if we terminate the contract, whatever hasn't been amortized gets accelerated. Exactly how it gets accelerated depends on the structure of the contract, and the date of termination.

So in this case, Cherilus has three years remaining, and a total of $8.7m that hasn't been amortized. If he plays out the final three years, that gets amortized at $2.9m/year. If we had released him prior to May 12, then the entire $8.7m would be accelerated to this year's cap. If we cut him now, then only the $2.9m that's already being amortized in 2015 stays on this year's cap. The remaining $5.8m goes on next year's cap (which is $2.9m which was already in place, and the remaining $2.9m from 2017). 

We paid him already. It has to go on the cap eventually. That amortization schedule is essentially based on how long he stays on the roster.

Sign Mathis, Cut Cherilus, Kick Mewhort out to RT like he's been doing the past few weeks. Problem Solved

I agree, mathis is a great pulling guard, mewhort has trouble pulling, if we want gore to run up the gut we need him, would be an upgrade over mewhort, who could be moved to rt

But there's no reason to assume he wouldn't play well in our scheme. And he was also just as good in Cincy as he was in Philly, if you were trying to imply otherwise with that "where he really excelled" part.

As for his age, it doesn't matter to me. He's shown no sign of dropping off and even if we get 1 1/2 seasons of elite play, it would be much better than the vast majority of free agent contract Grigson has given out.

I think he was much better in Philly than in Cincy. But point taken.

We should jump on it Rotoworld reports the Phins, Pats, and Rams are most interested

He's 34 getting cut this time of the year I bet he gets around 1yr 3M I don't see why we wouldn't be on that. He's one of the better G's in the league

If Grigs wants to hang on to the young interior guys dump Lance Louis or Thomas would be even better. For some reason we gravitate toward O lineman most likely to make the IR.

Castonzo Mathis Harrison Herremans Mewhort would be the best O line Andrew has had. I bet Gore would appreciate it too.

Ehhh... the dead money is bonus that's already been paid. The intended contract structure allows for that bonus to be amortized evenly over the life of the contract, but if we terminate the contract, whatever hasn't been amortized gets accelerated. Exactly how it gets accelerated depends on the structure of the contract, and the date of termination.

So in this case, Cherilus has three years remaining, and a total of $8.7m that hasn't been amortized. If he plays out the final three years, that gets amortized at $2.9m/year. If we had released him prior to May 12, then the entire $8.7m would be accelerated to this year's cap. If we cut him now, then only the $2.9m that's already being amortized in 2015 stays on this year's cap. The remaining $5.8m goes on next year's cap (which is $2.9m which was already in place, and the remaining $2.9m from 2017). 

We paid him already. It has to go on the cap eventually. That amortization schedule is essentially based on how long he stays on the roster.

Got it... (played with OTC site choices) (and by pay, I meant pay against the cap, of course the player long ago pocketed that cash)

Grigson should be all over this if he thinks we can afford it, Its a no brainer. Mathis is a technically sound mobile guard(Which we don't have other then Herremans) who can drive block well enough......and even if he couldn't who cares because a smart coach would design plays to exploit Mathis's strengths

We should jump on it Rotoworld reports the Phins, Pats, and Rams are most interested

He's 34 getting cut this time of the year I bet he gets around 1yr 3M I don't see why we wouldn't be on that. He's one of the better G's in the league

If Grigs wants to hang on to the young interior guys dump Lance Louis or Thomas would be even better. For some reason we gravitate toward O lineman most likely to make the IR.

Castonzo Mathis Harrison Herremans Mewhort would be the best O line Andrew has had. I bet Gore would appreciate it too.

Really? 1 year @ 3 mil?  That's Alex Boone money. At 5.1 mill (his last pay) he was paid at #13 for NFL guards, yet everyone says he's one of the best.  So he'll take #28 level pay instead?  When he was due 5.5 mil and had an offer for a 1 mil /year increase (that Chip Kelly rescinded and ripped up when he got power) ?  Donald Thomas makes more than that.  You would think we would at least top that mark, but doubt he would bite.  I think if a bidding war begins, he'll get a lot more than Roto-World predicts...

Sure but he has already gotten rid of his high priced RB, two high priced WRs. Pay for him and protect your fragile QB.

They have improved at RB. As far as receiver, does anyone outside of KC think Maclin was worth 11 per? Not to mention they snagged a 1st Rd WR to replace him.

They're lacking at guard but they have the best T/G trio in the league. I doubt their line is a big issue.

We could cut GC to save some cap space. Sign Mathis. Castonzo at LT, Mewhort at RT, Reitz backup T. Mathis at LG, Herremans at RG, Thornton or someone else on the roster backup G. I'd feel quite good about that. Then it's just up to the center position, and someone to emerge there.

That's a bit low but it would not shock me if you end up correct. He could end up with very few teams wanting to invest big money in a 34 year old guard.

He has little leverage and won't have many suitors this late, I don't think. But, it only takes one team willing to pay. We'll see.