Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

LB Shaq Thompson set to visit Colts

thompson is the definition of a tweener

A 3-way tweener if you include RB....which some say is his best position.

I'm all for due diligence but I'd prefer we spend our #29 pick on a player with a set position and a body of work that shows consistent production at that position.

Unless Grigson and Pagano can clearly see it...I don't think we should be drafting experimental players. 

I wouldn't be suprised if we were looking at him as a RB but it won't be in the 1st round.

He has said he doesn't want to play running back. He wants to play defense. I know it isn't his choice but we just spent two years dealing with a guy who didn't want to play RB. It isn't much fun.

he's said in recent interviews he's refusing to do RB drills and has his heart set on playing weakside LB but has run Safety drills and is "open to playing safety" which is what i imagine we'll push him to run more scheme oriented safety drills perhaps work him at LB as well but no chance he'll play RB.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/06/shaq-thompson-set-for-visits-with-cowboys-colts-panthers-and-more/related/

Watch us draft him in the 1st to have him play RB = last year as GM for Grigson

No one thinks of him as a 1st round running back.

The story says Thompson doesn't see himself as a running back -- period -- no matter the round.    So, I don't see that happening.

The question is linebacker (which the kid says he wants to play at the next level)  or safety,  which is what I think the Colts would want him to play.

he's said in recent interviews he's refusing to do RB drills and has his heart set on playing weakside LB but has run Safety drills and is "open to playing safety" which is what i imagine we'll push him to run more scheme oriented safety drills perhaps work him at LB as well but no chance he'll play RB.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/06/shaq-thompson-set-for-visits-with-cowboys-colts-panthers-and-more/related/

He's gonna be at his best in a hybrid role, wherever he goes. He's good close to the line of scrimmage, but he's a liability against linemen and TEs in the run game. So keeping him in space behind block eaters is the best way to use him. 

Can he play ILB?

If we draft him then he will in the box often. Doesn't really matter what we call him when he is on the field. Best way to describe him would be 8th man in the box. He has the cover skills to defend RB's and TE's too.

He could be a real difference maker in the NFL, and he is beginning to grow on me as someone who is worthy of our first pick.

Not every LB/SS hybrid is going to be the next Kam.  Look at Taylor Mays.  He had better measurables than Shaq or Kam, but he's been fairly bad his entire NFL career.

If we took Shaq, we would look for him to gain ten pounds or so and play ILB.  It wouldn't be worth our first-round pick; but, if he slid to our second, I wouldn't mind the pick.

Not every LB/SS hybrid is going to be the next Kam. Look at Taylor Mays. He had better measurables than Shaq or Kam, but he's been fairly bad his entire NFL career.

The problem is when you take a dynamic player and try to squeeze him into a position in your scheme that he doesn't necessarily fit instead of adjusting your scheme.

The best DCs are the ones that adjust their schemes to fit their talent instead of the other way around.

And Taylor Mays is completely different, as he played safety throughout his college career, was insanely fast in a straight line, and was noted as having stiff hips and may fit better as a nickel LB.