Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Don't seem interested in Wilfork

I guess we're going to address the D-Line in the draft. Unless Montori Hughes is still the next Haloti Ngata. But seriously, if we get a guy like Jordan Phillips, he could come in day 1 and really improve our defense, and have a major impact. Pair him with Arthur Jones and we'd have two pretty good DT's.

Well, there are a bunch of things that could have happened.  One, maybe Wilfork doesn't want to play for the Colts.  Maybe his agent said he is looking for a minimum 3 year deal.  Or maybe they watched film of him and saw that he has nothing left, even if the AFCCG he was manhandled in just about every one on one match up.

I guess we're going to address the D-Line in the draft. Unless Montori Hughes is still the next Haloti Ngata. But seriously, if we get a guy like Jordan Phillips, he could come in day 1 and really improve our defense, and have a major impact. Pair him with Arthur Jones and we'd have two pretty good DT's.

People forget Montori Hughes was dealing with the death of his 3-month old daughter last season. I think he will be a very good player.

There have been rumors that the Colts were interested. It's very likely that they have spoken with his representatives and are far apart in negotiations. So at this point there is no interest. If Wilfork is willing to take less then I'd think the Colts would be interested again.

This is not bad because it would indicate that Grigson is not ignoring the D-line, rather, he is assessing the available talent and placing a value on what's available. If the value doesn't match, then there isn't any interest.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2015/3/16/8226349/report-colts-do-not-intend-to-meet-with-vince-wilfork

It is hard to understand why they will not even talk to him. Maybe they have other ideas or the price is too high.

Grig's doesn't think he is better than what we have now it is that simple. He likes Hughes Kerr and Quarles. He has come out and said as much. Maybe we grab someone after the draft but I don't see any major additions along the D Line until then.

There have been rumors that the Colts were interested. It's very likely that they have spoken with his representatives and are far apart in negotiations. So at this point there is no interest. If Wilfork is willing to take less then I'd think the Colts would be interested again.

This is not bad because it would indicate that Grigson is not ignoring the D-line, rather, he is assessing the available talent and placing a value on what's available. If the value doesn't match, then there isn't any interest.

When have we shown any interest expect for Frank Gore???? And people on this board?

Grig's doesn't think he is better than what we have now it is that simple. He likes Hughes Kerr and Quarles. He has come out and said as much. Maybe we grab someone after the draft but I don't see any major additions along the D Line until then.

When have we shown any interest expect for Frank Gore???? And people on this board?

There were several rumors, nothing substantial.

According to one of the last stampedeblue articles the Colts like what they already have on the D-Line with Kerr, Hughes, Chapman and Quarles which I absolutely wouldn't understand. I hope they draft a DT early like Phillips or Goldman but I fear that Grigson is gambling again like with the Offensive Line by relying on average players and just hope they develop into good starters like he did with the O-Line.

According to one of the last stampedeblue articles the Colts like what they already have on the D-Line with Kerr, Hughes, Chapman and Quarles which I absolutely wouldn't understand. I hope they draft a DT early like Phillips or Goldman but I fear that Grigson is gambling again like with the Offensive Line by relying on average players and just hope they develop into good starters like he did with the O-Line.

All those guys were either roomies or in their second year. I'm sure they'll improve. Kerr was a rookie, chapman was first year starting and Hughes had some major family issue. I don't even think I could play if I lost a child.

Well, there are a bunch of things that could have happened.  One, maybe Wilfork doesn't want to play for the Colts.  Maybe his agent said he is looking for a minimum 3 year deal.  Or maybe they watched film of him and saw that he has nothing left, even if the AFCCG he was manhandled in just about every one on one match up.

Are we talking about this most recent AFC Championship game?

The one where the Colts were embarrassed 45-7?

We were manhandling Vince Wolfork and still only scored 7 points?

Was Holmes doing this by himself, or did he have guard help?

You know you're o-line play and this is the first I've read of this anywhere.....   so, I'm not disagreeing with you,  but I am stunned to read this.....

Share more...

All the guys this board is so high on the GM's across the league don't seem to be.  

Fairley a prove it deal as well he should be. Potroast to Washington for peanuts yeah I am sure he really wanted to be there. They are going places. Wilfork is drawing interest from just about no one.

Hughes had his 3 month old daughter die at the end of August last year.  

Wilfork is old and IMO is pretty washed up.  I don't think he's any better than Chapman as of right now, and Chapman still has room for improvement where Wilfork is on the decline.  Hughes was a project when we drafted him, he improved between year 1 and 2 and should continue to improve.  He is massive (our largest player) and very athletic -- he seemed to really start understanding his role and get his size and athleticism to translate into football skills last year.  Kerr did quite well as a rookie -- again he has room to improve, but there is no reason to think he won't as he is so young.  I think the biggest part of the equation is Art Jones should be healthy, which should result in drastic improvement of our D-Line by itself.  People also are often forgetting to mention Langford, who is an upgrade over RJF and (IMO) Redding.  If the season started today and all our guys were fully healthy, I think we'd have a better line than last year.  That said, I would still like to see us add another player or 2 to the mix.

There is plenty of time left in FA and we haven't gotten to the draft yet -- so I'm not convinced we are done making moves on the D-Line, but it isn't like Grigs or Pagano is going to come out to the media or any reporter and say "we think our line is trash and the players are terrible" -- of course they are going to say positive things about the players on this team.  Anyway, Wilfork will either find out soon that no team is going to pay for whatever he is asking, or some team will sign him for a high price and be terribly disappointed -- maybe as negotiations continue, we will jump into the bidding process if his price comes down... or maybe Grigs/Pags don't want an expensive and very temporary player at this position (which is kind of what Redding/RJF were -- temporary veterans to improve what we had but they were not the long-term answer) -- they seem to be doing a good job of adding veterans at certain spots but without making this team a bunch of guys that will be here for 1-3 years and retire when Luck is in the prime of his career -- there may be more to just Wilfork asking too much, maybe they want to build something that will develop into a continuously improving unit (Build the Monster) with young players that will be around for a while.

Who lost a child Hughes? I never heard that?

Yes, Hughes did just a few weeks prior to the season starting.... http://www.indystar.com/story/colts-insider/2014/08/24/colts-defensive-lineman-montori-hughes-daughter-dies/14528581/

Wilfork is old and IMO is pretty washed up.  I don't think he's any better than Chapman as of right now, and Chapman still has room for improvement where Wilfork is on the decline.  Hughes was a project when we drafted him, he improved between year 1 and 2 and should continue to improve.  He is massive (our largest player) and very athletic -- he seemed to really start understanding his role and get his size and athleticism to translate into football skills last year.  Kerr did quite well as a rookie -- again he has room to improve, but there is no reason to think he won't as he is so young.  I think the biggest part of the equation is Art Jones should be healthy, which should result in drastic improvement of our D-Line by itself.  People also are often forgetting to mention Langford, who is an upgrade over RJF and (IMO) Redding.  If the season started today and all our guys were fully healthy, I think we'd have a better line than last year.  That said, I would still like to see us add another player or 2 to the mix.

There is plenty of time left in FA and we haven't gotten to the draft yet -- so I'm not convinced we are done making moves on the D-Line, but it isn't like Grigs or Pagano is going to come out to the media or any reporter and say "we think our line is trash and the players are terrible" -- of course they are going to say positive things about the players on this team.  Anyway, Wilfork will either find out soon that no team is going to pay for whatever he is asking, or some team will sign him for a high price and be terribly disappointed -- maybe as negotiations continue, we will jump into the bidding process if his price comes down... or maybe Grigs/Pags don't want an expensive and very temporary player at this position (which is kind of what Redding/RJF were -- temporary veterans to improve what we had but they were not the long-term answer) -- they seem to be doing a good job of adding veterans at certain spots but without making this team a bunch of guys that will be here for 1-3 years and retire when Luck is in the prime of his career -- there may be more to just Wilfork asking too much, maybe they want to build something that will develop into a continuously improving unit (Build the Monster) with young players that will be around for a while.

Yes, Hughes did just a few weeks prior to the season starting.... http://www.indystar.com/story/colts-insider/2014/08/24/colts-defensive-lineman-montori-hughes-daughter-dies/14528581/

That sucks I lost a son not easy stuff for sure!!

I'm very anybody we should never stop trying improve this team .We can never have to much talent. I'm with you we need to address the defense and not have a mediocre defense like we have every year. 

I'm getting the feeling that Wilfork is asking for more than what teams are willing to pay.

This is the feeling I get as well, that or he's just plain washed up and teams are staying away from him.  A guy with his stat line shouldnt be this hard to find a job unless there's an underlying reason

People forget Montori Hughes was dealing with the death of his 3-month old daughter last season. I think he will be a very good player.

Oh yeah...Pagano's Haloti clone...how silly of us to forget him.

We say 'Haloti', Chuck says 'Montori'.....Chuck says 'Montori', we say 'Haloti', ...'Haloti, Montori', 'Montori, Haloti'...Chuck says 'what's the diff?'.

Oh yeah...Pagano's Haloti clone...how silly of us to forget him.

We say 'Haloti', Chuck says 'Montori'.....Chuck says 'Montori', we say 'Haloti', ...'Haloti, Montori', 'Montori, Haloti'...Chuck says 'what's the diff?'.

This post has me feeling hunky dori haha

Are we talking about this most recent AFC Championship game?

The one where the Colts were embarrassed 45-7?

We were manhandling Vince Wolfork and still only scored 7 points?

Was Holmes doing this by himself, or did he have guard help?

You know you're o-line play and this is the first I've read of this anywhere.....   so, I'm not disagreeing with you,  but I am stunned to read this.....

Share more...

Yes that game.  I never looked at a snap count but I don't think Wilfork was in the game a lot but yes, he was very ineffective in the game.  And it was all the interior, mostly Holmes from what I remember but Mewhort as well.