Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Current Hole at the WR position

ProblChld32

What if we re-sign Nicks and draft a receiver?

Guys in FA that are better than Nicks:

1. Cobb

2. Maclin

3. Andre Johnson

4. Crabtree = Nicks, IMO

If we don't get any of those guys in FA, we are better off re-signing Nicks, who already knows the system and had shown improvement as the season went on. He was good in the Cinci and Denver playoff games. (No one was good vs. NE).

Johnson PLEASE!

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love to post-pone drafting a wide receiver until next year and in the meantime signing Andre Johnson. I think the ideal prospect for our team is Laquon Treadwell from Ole Miss. He's a big receiver that can serve as a great possession receiver and he's a strong, willing blocker in the run game. Another added benefit is that he was teammates with Moncrief in college. For this year though, Andre Johnson is a good possession target and a good veteran presence. Give Johnson a two year deal and try to win him a ring. 

Give me Jeremy Maclin please.  Age 26; 6'0 198 lbs.  85 receptions for 1,813 and 10 TD's last year.   Put him with Luck opposite of T.Y. and look out!  

I'm not big on Andre Johnson as I have concerns about his age and concussion riskiness.  I will settle for him though if that is the best Grigs can do. 

Give me Jeremy Maclin please.  Put him with Luck opposite of T.Y. and look out!   I'm not big on Andre Johnson as I have concerns about his age and concussion.  I will settle for him though if that is the best Grigs can do. 

Ding, ding, ding!  We have a winner!

Maclin is the Reggie clone we need, only younger at 26 (turns 27 this May).

Yeah, I'm over the stopgap route, also. You'd think it would be a good option for our team, but it hasn't worked for whatever reason. If we really want to upgrade the WR corps, then sign a guy who can start and play at a high level right now. Or just draft a guy who can be a playmaker and work his way into the rotation over time (lots of those in this draft). 

The stop gap hasn't worked because the guys we were counting on developing into WR's were knuckleheads Rogers and Brazil. Both guys had the talent but have left us with a big gap. The cupboard is bare at WR.

In my opinion we need to sign a guy that can contribute at a high level for the next few years or so while we develop our own. Moncrief will see more playing time obviously and hopefully continues to grow. We don't even know if Carter can play in this league.

We are not in very good shape at WR and it wasn't like Reggie was gong to fix that just made opened eyes.

I don't think signing a guy like A Johnson or Bowe any of those guys who are over 30 is a good option. Their best years are behind them. We are paying for what they did. Andre Johnson is 33 years old.

The guy I would look at is Stevie Johnson(28) would walk in take the #2 role and hold it down while we rebuild depth at WR. I am not married to Johnson there are guys like Short (28) Crabtree(28) Britt(27) that could all file that role.

I am interested in Denarius Moore too not sure why just a gut feeling on him. Showed some flashes in Oakland has never played with a NFL QB.

We need to address the position in FA and in the draft. I don't think it is enough to draft a guy and let him work his way into the rotation. We really have no rotation. It is TY and then Moncrief. Is Moncrief ready to be the #2 guy? That is a lot of pressure on those two guys. I am a little concerned about TY holding up physically without some real help.

Give me Jeremy Maclin please.  Age 26; 6'0 198 lbs.  85 receptions for 1,813 and 10 TD's last year.   Put him with Luck opposite of T.Y. and look out!  

I'm not big on Andre Johnson as I have concerns about his age and concussion riskiness.  I will settle for him though if that is the best Grigs can do. 

I am with you I would avoid Andre Johnson dude is 33. He is injured a lot including concussions that isn't going to get better with age. A real nice name but not the guy we need. His best years are behind him.

We need a guy like Maclin that will upgrade the position and do so for years to come. I am not sure what Maclin will demand and think we might be able to get the same thing cheaper but I really hope we go that route and not some aging guy.

We need a guy that is going to be here for the long haul not a stop gap. Sign that guy draft a WR and start building our depth at that position again.

I hope they don't sign any free agent receiver after Avery, DHB, Nicks experience, year after year. TY, Moncrief, Whalen, Carter are just fine, draft another guy and that's it.

they will want some kind of veteran presence as they have a guy going into year four, a second year player, and a rookie.

If you think Nicks was "reliable" last season, then we differ on the meaning of the word. I think all the guys I mentioned would be much better than Nicks.

We also differ on what the team needs. Both Hilton and Moncrief are game-changing WRs who dictate how the defense plays. As Moncrief gets better, that will be more obvious. And the way the Pats played our passing game was only possible because Revis erased Moncrief, and they bracketed Hilton. Add a third guy who can get separation in the middle of the field, and it changes the way they defend our offense entirely.

I'd be fine with AJ, by the way. I'm just saying, I think the top notch FA receivers would definitely help our offense.

What I mean by the reliable part, is the logic that the Colts probably had in seeing him before they signed him. Before this year and injury-plagued 13', Nicks was a "reliable, veteran" receiver. What I'm saying now is, I hope the Colts don't fall into the allure of picking up another "reliable, veteran" type of WR that ends up producing next to nothing. Same logic applies to when they signed Avery as well.

Maybe that's true with Moncrief. Believe me I hope its true just as much as you do. I hope that he will evolve into that big-time player the Colts need opposite TY. They may only need that 3rd WR that can stretch the middle of the field.

The thing about AJ too is, he'd bring back that veteran leadership role as well that is now clearly absent with Reggie being gone. If he can still put up decent numbers with Ryan Fitzpatrick, he can thrive with Luck for the 2-3 solid years he has left.

not resigning reggie does not put us in a hole. he was non-factor for most of the season and the entire playoffs. I love reggie, but it was time. everyone seems to want andre (cant figure why) while personally I rather have cecil shorts

I hope they don't sign any free agent receiver after Avery, DHB, Nicks experience, year after year. TY, Moncrief, Whalen, Carter are just fine, draft another guy and that's it.

If you're relying on Whalen and Carter to be our 3rd and 4th receivers then you're delusional. Whalen wasn't even on the roster after we picked up Cribbs and we have no idea what Carter is capable of. We have to pick up a receiver at some point this offseason. Sign Andre Johnson and draft a guy that can hopefully step into that role in 2 years or so. You CANNOT go into the season with Hilton, Moncrief, Whalen, and Carter as your top 4 receivers.

they will want some kind of veteran presence as they have a guy going into year four, a second year player, and a rookie.

Then keep Nicks, There is no point in getting another veteran and by the time he learns the offense well enough to play instinctually and get in sync with Luck you let him go.

Then keep Nicks, There is no point in getting another veteran and by the time he learns the offense well enough to play instinctually and get in sync with Luck you let him go.

because nicks wasn't that productive and frankly probably doesn't have much interest in returning to Indy.

Maclin is the best option IMO but the only concern I have with him, and Cobb as well, is the long term contract would have to give them. Thats the reason they are available in the first place. The upside to briniging in a vet like Johnson is the fact that we could give him a short deal that would expire when its time to re-up Moncrief (if he earns it) in a few years AND a draft pick who can contribute this year. It gives our young guys a real chance to develope.

Id much rather bring in Johnson and a draft pick (Dorsett, Lockett,) than just blow big money on Maclin or Cobb.

Hilton, Johnson, Moncrief, Carter, Dorsett is better than

Hilton, Cobb/Maclin, Moncrief, Carter, Whalen

One man's opinion.

Maclin is the best option IMO but the only concern I have with him, and Cobb as well, is the long term contract would have to give them. Thats the reason they are available in the first place. The upside to briniging in a vet like Johnson is the fact that we could give him a short deal that would expire when its time to re-up Moncrief (if he earns it) in a few years AND a draft pick who can contribute this year. It gives our young guys a real chance to develope.

Id much rather bring in Johnson and a draft pick (Dorsett, Lockett,) than just blow big money on Maclin or Cobb.

Hilton, Johnson, Moncrief, Carter, Dorsett is better than

Hilton, Cobb/Maclin, Moncrief, Carter, Whalen

One man's opinion.

That's an interesting perspective. I do respect your opinion. I just wonder how many developmental type receivers do we really need? We already developed T.Y. Now we are in the process of developing Moncrief and hopefully Carter. If we add some one of Macklin's caliber the need to draft yet another young receiver lessens in my opinion. We are trying to win now...we need an established vet that can open it up even more for T.Y. not another guy on the decline like Andre Johnson...in my opinion.

You must have a lot of faith in Moncrief. Don't get me wrong, I think he will be a good player but he hasn't proven himself to be that true, #2 guy opposite TY. Cobb would indeed by the perfect slot WR for us but we have Duron Carter and Fleener who can both line up in that spot.

A reliable veteran performer is not what this offense needs. The Colts tried that last year with Nicks and it didn't work out. They don't need another solid possession WR. They need a player that can make game-changing plays and dictate how a defense plays them.

New England proved that if you double TY, there isn't much else there at WR for the Colts. Give me Andre Johnson that can still light it up against most corners 1 on 1. Let Moncrief play the 3 and Carter play the 4. Or better yet, do a rotation to keep the legs fresh and really punish defenses.

Did you forget it was Moncriefs FIRST season??? Did you expect 1500 yds and 15 Tds out of him in his first year? Give him sime time to develop. Also he played very limited snaps. He had some solid moment and definitely flashed potential. He also had some rough ones which is to be expected. He was a ROOKIE. And he's still fairly raw and has a fair amount of polishing he needs to do. He needs another season or so I think before we see him really take off. Not all players are gonma be instant impact players and instant stars.

because nicks wasn't that productive and frankly probably doesn't have much interest in returning to Indy.

Well, he got better as the year progressed. And he is much younger than A. Johnson who can be this year Reggie. Anyway, I don't really care if they sign Nicks, I just wanted to point out that signing him may be better than starting over with another veteran contracted for 1 year at the end of which they let him go. It's like wash, rinse and repeat at this point.

Well, he got better as the year progressed. And he is much younger than A. Johnson who can be this year Reggie. Anyway, I don't really care if they sign Nicks, I just wanted to point out that signing him may be better than starting over with another veteran contracted for 1 year at the end of which they let him go. It's like wash, rinse and repeat at this point.

i think if they bring in Johnson or another vet WR it's going to be for more than a one year deal. If they just wanted a vet on a one year deal they could have just kept Wayne.

I also don't think Nicks wants to be here anymore. Last year probably go the way he had envisioned when he signed here.

i think if they bring in Johnson or another vet WR it's going to be for more than a one year deal. If they just wanted a vet on a one year deal they could have just kept Wayne.

I also don't think Nicks wants to be here anymore. Last year probably go the way he had envisioned when he signed here.

Oh, Wayne clearly could not play anymore. I meant somebody of the kind of Avery, DHB, etc.

It would be interesting to see what kind of offers Nicks gets anf from what team.

I love Maclin's talent and have watched him since College.  He'd be my first choice. Cobb second.  Not interested in AJ or Nicks.  I also think we should draft a WR if one of our top Two are available on the Draft Board.  Whalen?  He's okay, but nothing special.  We need another young SPECIAL and Moncrief still has a ways to go.  He may develop, but if we draft another, then I feel one of the two will shine and we keep the other as the 4th/5th receiver.  

I still wish we'd kept Reggie and drafted a great young receiver.  We know nothing about whether Duron Carter will be anything in the NFL.  He could easily be a total bust OR get back into trouble.  (It isn't like we don't have enough SCUMBAGS brought in by Grigson who have filled up the Indy Star crime pages.  I don't trust their screening instincts much.