Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

RUMOR: Colts eyeing trades for vet WRs, Brandon Marshall among one of the WRs.

NBColtsFanatic

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wanted Brandon Marshall back when the Broncos were getting rid of him.

I understand why. He was younger and was/is a certified MAN on the field but this was before he became aware of his mental issues. If we got him back then, it'd be a good chance we wouldnt have him now.

Im certainly interested in picking him up as he's matured significantly and has taken full control over his mental state and hs gotten his career back on track.

I understand why. He was younger and was/is a certified MAN on the field but this was before he became aware of his mental issues. If we got him back then, it'd be a good chance we wouldnt have him now.

Im certainly interested in picking him up as he's matured significantly and has taken full control over his mental state and hs gotten his career back on track.

I don't see why he couldn't have found out about and gotten effective treatment for his issues while with the Colts. And based on what the Dolphins gave up for him, it would have cost us Pat Angerer and Ben Ijalana (two second round picks in 2010 and 2011). They aren't here now, either.

But that's a really old argument. I just thought he'd be a difference maker, especially paired with Manning and opposite of Reggie. 

Now, my concerns with him are about his physical health. He took some serious abuse last season. He's probably still more than capable of being a #2, and would be a really good complement to Hilton. Assuming he's healthy.

Marshall is 31 in March...his salary for 2015 is $7.5M...in 2014 he had 61 recs / 721 yds / 8 TDs.

Cobb turns 25 in August ...he wants around $9M per year...in 2014 he had 91 recs / 1287 yds / 12 TDs.

....and Cobb played with Jordy Nelson as the #1 in Green Bay.

Which I hope means Marshall would be a cheaper contract than Cobb. Use the extra money on other guys as well.

Which I hope means Marshall would be a cheaper contract than Cobb. Use the extra money on other guys as well.

Assuming he's released, I doubt he'll get $7.5m from anyone.

Also, he's a completely different receiver from Cobb, who is a slot receiver. To me, $9m/year for a slot is too much, especially when we have good TEs.

Marshall is 31 in March...his salary for 2015 is $7.5M...in 2014 he had 61 recs / 721 yds / 8 TDs.

Cobb turns 25 in August ...he wants around $9M per year...in 2014 he had 91 recs / 1287 yds / 12 TDs.

Brandon Marshall is the type of WR the offense is missing, not Randall Cobb.

Cobb also had Aaron Rodgers throwing him the ball compared to Marshall with Cutler.

I don't see why he couldn't have found out about and gotten effective treatment for his issues while with the Colts. And based on what the Dolphins gave up for him, it would have cost us Pat Angerer and Ben Ijalana (two second round picks in 2010 and 2011). They aren't here now, either.

But that's a really old argument. I just thought he'd be a difference maker, especially paired with Manning and opposite of Reggie. 

Now, my concerns with him are about his physical health. He took some serious abuse last season. He's probably still more than capable of being a #2, and would be a really good complement to Hilton. Assuming he's healthy.

I worry about his health too...can't remember exactly but it seemed he had foot problems late in the year and his numbers plummeted...that said Jeffries became the #1 target and that took a lot of balls from him.

Can't see why we would have needed him back then...we had Wayne, Garcon, Collie (before head trauma) and Clark....more than capable receivers. Of course we fell apart with injuries but I don't remember him even being on the radar back then. Peyton regularly took receivers with some talent and turned them into pro bowl caliber guys.

I worry about his health too...can't remember exactly but it seemed he had foot problems late in the year and his numbers plummeted...that said Jeffries became the #1 target and that took a lot of balls from him.

Can't see why we would have needed him back then...we had Wayne, Garcon, Collie (before head trauma) and Clark....more than capable receivers. Of course we fell apart with injuries but I don't remember him even being on the radar back then. Peyton regularly took receivers with some talent and turned them into pro bowl caliber guys.

It wouldn't have been a need, but I do think it would have made the offense better. Manning never had a receiver like that in Indy.

It wouldn't have been a need, but I do think it would have made the offense better. Manning never had a receiver like that in Indy.

Manning had two Hall of Fame receivers in the prime of their HoF careers.    What am I not understanding about your comment?

Are you talking size?    I grant you that....

Manning had two Hall of Fame receivers in the prime of their HoF careers.    What am I not understanding about your comment?

I'd say he means that big 6'3, 6'4 number 1 type beast, who can go up and get jump balls. Its what I've personally always wanted us to have btw.

We definately didn't have a target like him...I remember him going off for like 20 catches against us that one game. I think we started using Garcon kinda like that a bit since he was a stronger type receiver and starting running those quick screens but you are correct. That said I don't think we had the cap space for yet another wr....and we had major line issues.

I'd say he means that big 6'3, 6'4 number 1 type beast, who can go up and get jump balls. Its what I've personally always wanted us to have btw.

What he said. ^^^

I'm obviously a huge fan of Wayne and Harrison, but Marshall was the big, strong, fast, super athletic guy who could muscle through press coverage for a quick slant or a go route. The kind of guy who could erase a mistake downfield by winning jump balls. They were the technicians, the precision tools; Marshall was the machete who could cut you down. 

What he said. ^^^

I'm obviously a huge fan of Wayne and Harrison, but Marshall was the big, strong, fast, super athletic guy who could muscle through press coverage for a quick slant or a go route. The kind of guy who could erase a mistake downfield by winning jump balls. They were the technicians, the precision tools; Marshall was the machete who could cut you down. 

Also as we have seen could get off jams at the line of scrimmage and not allow defenders to disrupt his route. Guys like him and DT can still get open despite tough man to man coverage.

I remember him going off for like 20 catches against us that one game.

Slant route after slant route after slant route... My goodness. 

Marshall might be able to help Moncrief with his body positioning and attacking the ball in the air. To me, that's the difference between Moncrief and Julio Jones.

Brandon Marshall in 2012.. 118/1508/11

Brandon Marshall in 2013.. 100/1295/12 (Alshon Jeffery had >1400 this same year).

He was injured in 2014...      61/ 721/8

His salary would be $7.5M but he would have no dead cap potential if we were taking over his contract via trade.   The contract is not unreasonable IMO (a little more than Reggie made last season).  He could almost be like another 1-2 year rental but much, much better (assuming he comes back healthy) than the rentals we've had recently.  The only thing I'd worry about with Marshall is how meshes in the locker room.  He can be a distraction if he's not happy for some reason. And that is a big concern.

If he's likely to be cut, then I'd think he'll be available for a low round draft pick (5th or 6th).  Otherwise, yes.. wait for the cut.

Brandon Marshall in 2012.. 118/1508/11

Brandon Marshall in 2013.. 100/1295/12 (Alshon Jeffery had >1400 this same year).

He was injured in 2014...      61/ 721/8

His salary would be $7.5M but he would have no dead cap potential if we were taking over his contract via trade.   The contract is not unreasonable IMO (a little more than Reggie made last season).  He could almost be like another 1-2 year rental but much, much better (assuming he comes back healthy) than the rentals we've had recently.  The only thing I'd worry about with Marshall is how meshes in the locker room.  He can be a distraction if he's not happy for some reason. And that is a big concern.

If he's likely to be cut, then I'd think he'll be available for a low round draft pick (5th or 6th).  Otherwise, yes.. wait for the cut.

$9.575 mill would be the cap hit, not $7.5 mill......$7.5 is just the base

Slant route after slant route after slant route... My goodness. 

Marshall might be able to help Moncrief with his body positioning and attacking the ball in the air. To me, that's the difference between Moncrief and Julio Jones.

Yeah...cover 2...we were terrible...which also allowed Tom to hit those little passes all the time too. It was so hard and fast that our lbs couldn't even flatten out and cover it.

Umm..i don't know if i'd go that far with the julio comparision..but he definately has a spark there...hopefully we can harness it.

Yup. If he's traded, the new team only gets the salary, not the previously paid bonus.

That 7.5 isn't too bad this coming year...but 7.9 and 8.3 may be harder to swallow in the coming years. I'm not sure we want to be paying him that in a couple years when he is slowing down.

Yeah...cover 2...we were terrible...which also allowed Tom to hit those little passes all the time too. It was so hard and fast that our lbs couldn't even flatten out and cover it.

Umm..i don't know if i'd go that far with the julio comparision..but he definately has a spark there...hopefully we can harness it.

The physical traits are practically identical. Other than that? Raw route runner, check. Will sometimes drop a catchable ball, check. Attacks the ball at its highest point? That's the difference.

I know that's a lofty comparison, but Moncrief is a specimen, just like Julio. He just doesn't use his physical traits as well.

That 7.5 isn't too bad this coming year...but 7.9 and 8.3 may be harder to swallow in the coming years. I'm not sure we want to be paying him that in a couple years when he is slowing down.

I wouldn't trade for him, personally. I think I'd be okay with signing him for three years, $18m, or something like that.

$9.575 mill would be the cap hit, not $7.5 mill......$7.5 is just the base

Bears have to eat the signing bonus.  That's what makes it a decent deal for a team that trades for him -- they're only committed to the base salaries which are very reasonable if he's producing anywhere close to 2012/2013 levels.

It's hard to say . . . a rumor might be true that we are pursuing a trade or a FA.  Just because that trade doesn't occur or that FA isn't signed doesn't mean the rumor wasn't true. . . the deal just didn't work out.  

I

All the more reason not to get positive or negative till the deal is done. No reason to say a lot about it till that is determined. Just me, that's all.