Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

3 reasons we shouldn't sign Suh

1. Hes out of position!

Moving from a 43 DT to 34 DE is always tough i don't care who you are!

2. His attitude!

Some see this as a positive but not me. I don't wanna player that could be suspended at any given point in the game!

3. He would destroy the cap!

He would easily take up 20 percent of the cap then after Luck up to 50 percent for 2 people. Say goodbye to signing anybody else.

Suh is not worth it!

We need players with attitude. We need rough and nasty, in your face players who hit hard and then stares the opponent down. We need players with swag and players who put fear in our opponents. We need players who will do anything to win, and who think losing is inacceptable. We could sign Suh and be fine cap wise. Look at Denver, they have stars all around and are fine with their cap situation. Some people think we should never sign any good players and I still don't get it. Yeah, we need to build through the draft, but we also need to sign some playmakers here and there. Especially now since we are only a few pieces away. Maybe we shouldn't sign Suh, but we certainly need to sign a few good players. Especially on the D-Line, and the O-Line.

We need players with attitude. We need rough and nasty, in your face players who hit hard and then stares the opponent down. We need players with swag and players who put fear in our opponents. We need players who will do anything to win, and who think losing is inacceptable. We could sign Suh and be fine cap wise. Look at Denver, they have stars all around and are fine with their cap situation. Some people think we should never sign any good players and I still don't get it. Yeah, we need to build through the draft, but we also need to sign some playmakers here and there. Especially now since we are only a few pieces away. Maybe we shouldn't sign Suh, but we certainly need to sign a few good players. Especially on the D-Line, and the O-Line.

Denver is a poor choice of example as they are in the "win now mode". They aren't expecting any of the players they sign to be there 3 or 4 years from now. The Colts are literally the polar opposite. And you can get mean players without getting dirty players. Suh has gotten lucky getting his suspensions dropped to fines to this point. No one is saying don't get a good DL through FA but Suh has already said he wants JJ Watt money and it's not worth the headache.

These three "reasons" don't really hold up.

He can play DT/DE in our front, no problem.

His issues with discipline are real, but overblown. It's not like he's in the drug program and likely to miss an extended stretch for one indiscretion. And all indications are that he's a really solid guy off the field.

Most significantly, 20% of the cap would be $28-30m/year. Stop and check your math, and you'll realize we're talking about more like half of that. Probably still too much, IMO, but let's not be sensational.

Okay so if your saying he's 2 Dt in game, if jj watt was a free agent , would you be saying he's to expensive ? I don't think signing him would be good, but also wouldn't be a stupid move. We have never had a guy disruptive guy in trenches ever have we ? Booger McFarland maybe but he was old, and what happened when we had him and Corey Simon ?

1. Hes out of position!

2. His attitude!

Some see this as a positive but not me. I don't wanna player that could be suspended at any given point in the game!

He would easily take up 20 percent of the cap then after Luck up to 50 percent for 2 people. Say goodbye to signing anybody else.

Suh is not worth it!

Pairing Suh with Arthur Jones, Robert Mathis and anyone else we bring in would help our defense out tremendously. It helps our linebackers and secondary.. I would be all for us bringing him here. We need a guy like that if we ever want to win a ring.

The only problem with Suh IMO is his age, he is 28 and if we give him a deal like Gerald Mccoy it would be 7yrs ~~ 100m and i can see Suh playing at All-Pro 4 years and then we have 2 solid years. If we give him a deal like Grigson is used to we could absorb much of his cap the first 4 years and then we could cut him, like Cherilous and RJF they can be cut before their deals expire and we could save a ton of cap, the true issue with singing Suh is how much are you gonna pay the 2011 class? I mean we have 2 years left on Luck's contract bu TY is gonna eat a lot of cap this year, and we need to bring back our TE duo but i think we can have both of them on a good price, so we need a player like Suh nasty we bring Landry because he was supposed to be that nasty guy that could bring the wood every play but he has been a disappointment. 

IMO bring Suh, then we could play 

Suh(DE/DT), Danny Shelton(hopefully)NT, Jones(DT/DE), that is a heck of DL.

Pass situation

Mathis, Suh, Jones, Newsome then you have a pretty good passrush with 4 man no blitz.

Let Suh eat a big chunk of cap space up on some other team. I would welcome him here IF he would take a reasonable contract but I don't see that happening. I wouldn't want the Colts to over pay any player who can't really seem to control himself. He more than likely would be facing a suspension with another bone head play.

I would be willing for Suh too eat up some cap room for a couple SB's. Because thats where the Colts would be heading with him in Indy next season!

Regardless of what some people think about him, hes a game changer

With Suh we could replace three starters in Jackson, Landry, and Walden with backups and rookies and it still make our defense considerably better.

1. Hes out of position!

2. His attitude!

Suh is not worth it!

I'm not worried about #1.  But #2 and #3 are good enough reasons not to sign him.  

Also as Superman pointed out you are looking at more like 10% of our cap for #3, not 20%  That's still a lot to put on one non quarterback player though.

The other thing to consider is based on what I've heard, Suh wants to go to a major media market. . . That isn't Indy ladies and gentlemen.

1 solid reason would be that it doesn't make sense to give top dollar to a guy to play 3-4 DE, when you have a hole at NT. A good NT will make everyone on the line better and set the tone for the D. The D is a good NT and ILB away from being really good. DE is not as big a priority.

If the Colts drafted him and he was up for contract, I doubt people would be campaigning for us not to re-sign him.

True, but the primary difference for me is that high priced free agents who switch teams are less successful than high priced free agents who stay with the same team. And they tend to cost a little bit more.

As for your first point, he would be lining up in pretty much the same position on the line as he does in Detroit, logistically speaking, and wont be asked to do much different than he is doing now (stop the run between the tackles and collapse the pocket in passing situations). And its not that big of a change for an interior lineman going from a 4-3 to a 3-4. We line up 4 down linemen half the time anyway...

Your 3rd point is half way there. The numbers you have are more than a little off, but I agree with the temperament behind it. He would cost too much money with the re-signings we're going to have to make after next season. Luck, TY, yada yada yada...

I agree with your 2nd point. I like players that have a mean streak but Suh has something more than that, in that he's just seemingly not a nice person. I like the Ray Lewis or Cory Redding type of tenacity but when the whistle is blown or the game is over its done and its time settle down. He seemingly doesn't get that.