Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay's after game comments are 100% correct...

Indeee

This team has to get tough defensively. We as fan, just like Jim, has watched the Colts teams over the past 12-14 years get manhandled by certain teams in big moments. Every once in awhile they would play aggressive and get lucky, but we have never had a truly physical defense. I don't really question there heart but whats evident is that they get whipped alot from a strength position. Last night Blount looked like a tank compared to our Linebackers, it was embarrassing. Our D-Line got manhandled by an O-Line led by a makeshift center..

Its sad.. I like many are just sick and tired of this same old story :yuk:

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not too down. The Colts are still a draft or two away from being where they need to be. As a whole the Colts are pretty young and the future still looks bright.

Future looks bright if our goal is to reach AFCCG every year.

To play Seattle, GB and NE and win, we are not even close.

And this is the end of third year with the build the monster crap. I saw we getting manhandled last night.

This team has to get tough defensively. We as fan, just like Jim, has watched the Colts teams over the past 12-14 years get manhandled by certain teams in big moments. Every once in awhile they would play aggressive and get lucky, but we have never had a truly physical defense. I don't really question there heart but whats evident is that they get whipped alot from a strength position. Last night Blount looked like a tank compared to our Linebackers, it was embarrassing. Our D-Line got manhandled by an O-Line led by a makeshift center..

Its sad.. I Iike many are just sick and tired of this same old story :yuk:

Same piece of lines since Peyton Playoff days. Nothing will change to improve on D.

And this is the end of third year with the build the monster crap. I saw we getting manhandled last night.

So you think an inexperienced team without the right players are going to beat the teams your mentioned? It is not rocket science. The Colts are still a few players away from being good enough. We can whine, cry and point fingers all we care to but it changes nothing. As far as what you call the monster crap, it is a 5 year plan not a three year plan. I understand everyones disappointment but reality is we don't have the players on the team yet to reach the super bowl.

In no way do I believe we're on track in year 3 of a 5 year plan - that we're close.  If anything, we're largely starting over.  Werner was a bust.  Most of the free agent money appears to have been wasted on, at best, marginal improvements.  Who knows what Mathis has left.  You have a corner or two - that's about it.   

We beat two out of those three teams in the Luck/Pagano era

We are a couple of years and at least one or two stars away from taking down New England.

Thing is, Grigson needs to hit a home run in this draft. Big time. The Richardson trade and Werner pick has, in a way, held us back. Stop gambling and do your homework, Ryan.

Jimmy is right. We need toughness. We need someone with a mean streak on defense who is a playmaker. Get rid of deadweight that misses tackles. And light a fire under people who don't catch passes thrown in their hands.

Sign Terrance Knighton, change more to a 4 man front, let Mathis and Newsome loose together at the edges, make Werner what Rob Morris was, a strongside 4-3 LB (he did enough of that at Florida State too, don't make the mistake that we made with Jerry Hughes in terms of scheme). The 3-4 DEs we have will make better UTs than play 2 gaps, IMO. Both Redding and RJF can play that, IMO.

Hate to say it, the teams that have won the SBs recently (2009 Saints, 2010 Packers, 2011 Giants, 2012 Ravens, 2013 Seahawks), 4 out of those 5 outside the 2010 Packers used four man fronts more often than the 3 man front.

If you stop the run, you can take the chances with your man coverage corners. Otherwise, you are wasting the talent in the secondary. Get better LBs and safeties to complete the defense, that is how the D can be complete.

So you think an inexperienced team without the right players are going to beat the teams your mentioned? It is not rocket science. The Colts are still a few players away from being good enough. We can whine, cry and point fingers all we care to but it changes nothing. As far as what you call the monster crap, it is a 5 year plan not a three year plan. I understand everyones disappointment but reality is we don't have the players on the team yet to reach the super bowl.

5 year plan?. Thats an average NFL player's career.

At end of 3rd year, you would expect to see a progress. I mean playing the same team for 4th time and the results getting worse?. Where is the improvement and adjustments?.

We're not close at all.  We have to keep rebuilding the o line and the defense every year.  We cannot find a consistent mix.  The starters we have on the o line, d line, and linebacking core are mediocre at best and there is no depth behind any of them.  After 3 years of building the monster, we should at least have a good core to build around but we don't.  Next year we will more than likely have a new o line and new defense.  That's not consistency.  Yes, we will continue to win our division and make the playoffs because the division is so bad. 

I was going to start a thread about tough defense but this one will suffice.

No doubt in my mind, the difference between the other three teams and the Colts this weekend was how each handled their one on one matchups. The Colts players are just unable to stand up a player and tackle them...and the line is unable to stand their ground..more than occasionally.

Its been that way since DC Vince Tobin left years ago.

Also: ditto much of what Chad72 said above.

The buck stops with Irsay. He has recently talked about his vision, but the fact of the matter is he needs to surround his second once in a lifetime QB, with commiserate talent. Polian is three years gone now, and Luck is entering his fourth season.

This is no longer a rebuild or Stalinist five year plan, anymore than it is in Baltimore, Denver, or Pittsburgh.

Defense needs some major toughness. Offensive needs work. 7 fricken points? Come on man! No way does Luck deserve to be the highest paid player. That stupid crap is what hurt all the manning teams. I love Luck and he's very good be he is not too tier yet. He shows glimpses but he's a ways off.

Its sad.. I like many are just sick and tired of this same old story :yuk:

Yeah it's not like Blount and Gary are dominant runningbacks but they've looked like the GOATs vs the Colts. They both seemed to be dragging the defenders around all over the place because they kept consistantly reaching the second level, the bigs didn't really seem to do their job.

5 year plan?. Thats an average NFL player's career.

At end of 3rd year, you would expect to see a progress. I mean playing the same team for 4th time and the results getting worse?. Where is the improvement and adjustments?.

An average players career has nothing to do with building a team. If you think you haven't seen progress over the last three years you haven't been paying much attention. The Colts do not match up with the Patriots with the players they have. But just continue to point fingers and blaming someone when it is a simple problem. That being the Colts do not have the players at this time to be competitive against the top teams in the NFL. Till those players are brought in it will not change. New coaches can not work with players who are not good enough.

The buck stops with Irsay. He has recently talked about his vision, but the fact of the matter is he needs to surround his second once in a lifetime QB, with commiserate talent. Polian is three years gone now, and Luck is entering his fourth season.

This is no longer a rebuild or Stalinist five year plan, anymore than it is in Baltimore, Denver, or Pittsburgh.

Had to get your normal dig in on Irsay didn't you?

Sign Terrance Knighton, change more to a 4 man front, let Mathis and Newsome loose together at the edges, make Werner what Rob Morris was, a strongside 4-3 LB (he did enough of that at Florida State too, don't make the mistake that we made with Jerry Hughes in terms of scheme). The 3-4 DEs we have will make better UTs than play 2 gaps, IMO. Both Redding and RJF can play that, IMO.

Hate to say it, the teams that have won the SBs recently (2009 Saints, 2010 Packers, 2011 Giants, 2012 Ravens, 2013 Seahawks), 4 out of those 5 outside the 2010 Packers used four man fronts more often than the 3 man front.

If you stop the run, you can take the chances with your man coverage corners. Otherwise, you are wasting the talent in the secondary. Get better LBs and safeties to complete the defense, that is how the D can be complete.

In a way, I do like the thinking.  I have no idea whether Suh is a realistic possibility or not, but people conclude he doesn't fit the system.  Well, make him fit.  Through three seasons we have wasted free agent money on players who fit the scheme, but only, at best, marginally improve the defense.  I would rather pay a true difference maker and make him fit.   

An average players career has nothing to do with building a team. If you think you haven't seen progress over the last three years you haven't been paying much attention. The Colts do not match up with the Patriots with the players they have. But just continue to point fingers and blaming someone when it is a simple problem. That being the Colts do not have the players at this time to be competitive against the top teams in the NFL. Till those players are brought in it will not change. New coaches can not work with players who are not good enough.

You keep talking about having no good players. Who is stopping you not having good players?. 

You got all those extra money when Manning left. What the hell did we do?. To see a game like last night with the same team  for 4th time?.

Defense needs some major toughness. Offensive needs work. 7 fricken points? Come on man! No way does Luck deserve to be the highest paid player. That stupid crap is what hurt all the manning teams. I love Luck and he's very good be he is not too tier yet. He shows glimpses but he's a ways off.

Your criticism of Luck is over-stated.  He's everything that the experts say he is.  The Colts don't get the the AFCCG without him.  Three years and three playoff appearances and the team does better each year - he gets better each year.  I was impressed with his poise last night despite the pick.  Up until that point he wasn't forcing the ball - it was his WRs, TEs and RBs that we failing him.  Don't be mistaken he's going to get his money, thats the way of the NFL.  Hopefully he will be like a Brady and others who restructure deals to give the GM flexibility on talent.  The key to the franchise is the Grigson has to pay the QB and a couple of other key players and then he has to draft well and make mid- and low-level FA acquisitions.  We are fortunate to have Luck.  Can you imagine the alternative?  You would be crying wondering why the Colts don't have a franchise QB.

Had to get your normal dig in on Irsay didn't you?

I wouldn't take it that way. I think Jim wants the responsibility for getting a second ring. He has the right vision, but is Grigson the right guy to implement it, I don't know ? He's done a great job as owner, but he is setting the bar high as he stated that one ring wasn't enough, and that they need to surround Luck with more talent , than they did for Manning. I would say the same thing about Mr. B and Ozzie for not getting enough secondary depth this year.

Why in a thread about Irsay's comments is there no link or quote of his comments? I would like to comment on the thead but it would be nice to know which comments we are suppose to comment on. Thank you to some one for linking it if possible. Irsay says lots of stuff and I was just wondering what we were suppose to respond to.

You keep talking about having no good players. Who is stopping you not having good players?. 

You got all those extra money when Manning left. What the hell did we do?. To see a game like last night with the same team  for 4th time?.

Not enough good players on the roster. Yes the Colts have some great players but not enough talent across the board. It's not hard to understand. This is going no where as long as you are so upset with the Colts you are not seeing the big picture.

The Colts have beaten two of those three. Need some key pieces on defense, and a few pieces on the O. The team is much closer to a championship than most of the teams in the league.

Not enough good players on the roster. Yes the Colts have some great players but not enough talent across the board. It's not hard to understand. This is going no where as long as you are so upset with the Colts you are not seeing the big picture.

With smart coaching, you don't need great players.  The big picture expands far beyond the players, it also involves the coaching staff, which apparently has no clue as to how to scheme to make the most of the players on the roster.

This coaching staff is not part of the big picture, if we ever hope to make it to the big dance, IMHO.

We'll struggle with New England as long as Bellichek is the coach. He's just so much smarter than most coaches -- ours included

Everyone struggles with New England. The problem is getting blown out of the stadium four times in a row. I don't think our defense lacks for toughness, in general, but that front sure does play like gummy bears against the Pats.

Your criticism of Luck is over-stated. He's everything that the experts say he is. The Colts don't get the the AFCCG without him. Three years and three playoff appearances and the team does better each year - he gets better each year. I was impressed with his poise last night despite the pick. Up until that point he wasn't forcing the ball - it was his WRs, TEs and RBs that we failing him. Don't be mistaken he's going to get his money, thats the way of the NFL. Hopefully he will be like a Brady and others who restructure deals to give the GM flexibility on talent. The key to the franchise is the Grigson has to pay the QB and a couple of other key players and then he has to draft well and make mid- and low-level FA acquisitions. We are fortunate to have Luck. Can you imagine the alternative? You would be crying wondering why the Colts don't have a franchise QB.

Luck can't do it by himself. We need strong lines on both sides of the ball. I love Luck, am a huge fan and was totally with manning leaving to get Luck. I don't think he deserves to be the highest paid player in the league. Not even close. The way these players get paid is flat out ridiculous.

Gee, we predominately played a 4 man front against NE. Good eye woodeye.

Although i agree.

We just played Chuck & Manusky`s 4-2. Which was abused many games this season.

NE lined up in a 4-4.

With smart coaching, you don't need great players.  The big picture expands far beyond the players, it also involves the coaching staff, which apparently has no clue as to how to scheme to make the most of the players on the roster.

This coaching staff is not part of the big picture, if we ever hope to make it to the big dance, IMHO.

We have decent players. Chuck and Manusky are responsible for the scheme failure.

Why in a thread about Irsay's comments is there no link or quote of his comments? I would like to comment on the thead but it would be nice to know which comments we are suppose to comment on. Thank you to some one for linking it if possible. Irsay says lots of stuff and I was just wondering what we were suppose to respond to.

profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mil/page/3/