Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Patriots being investigated for Deflating footballs.....(Mega Merge)

RealityIsLuck

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to clarify a misconception in here.

The fact that the Colts balls were in the acceptable range at halftime does not rule out the weather factor.  They said the Colts balls were legal at half, NOT that they had lost no air.

If the Colts fill theirs to the top of the range, they could lose air and still be legal.  We know the Patriots fill theirs to the lowest allowed pressure, so losing any air would make them illegal.

We also havent had the 2psi figure confirmed either.

Not claiming it was the weather, just pointing out things that need to be clarified from the league before judgements are made

Can you just (no pun intended) get off of the balls. The balls were fine, you're acting like there has never been a rainy game or a game played in 50 degree weather. It's been 4 days, enough of hearing about the science of the balls, that's not the issue.

to clarify a misconception in here.

The fact that the Colts balls were in the acceptable range at halftime does not rule out the weather factor.  They said the Colts balls were legal at half, NOT that they had lost no air.

Common sense rules out the weather factor. Temperatures would have to be in the negatives for them to lose 2 PSI. 

You are really are jumping to conclusions. We have not heard anything from the investigation as to why the balls were that way. Bill said he was not aware of any issue until Monday morning when the league told him about the investigation so the Pats were not asked anything during the game. The balls were simply removed and replaced.

And you just believe everything Bill says...? His word is gaurenteed true??? We shall see..

If he intentionally tampered with the football, then by the nfl rule book it would be a $25,000 fine.

Everyone looking for some draconian punishment from this is wayyyyy off their rocker and is just wishful thinking. The punishment is meant to match the crime, you dont put someone in prison for rolling through a stop sign

Seems a lot of Colts fans want them to rain down some insane punishment that will cripple the franchise for the next 5 to 10 years. I guess that makes sense, if you can't beat them on the field then I guess you try to take them down off of it

This is absolutely incorrect.  The punishment can be anything "including but not limited to a fine of $25,000."  You thinking that they can only fine $25K is what is off the rocker.

What Bill did is he took himself out of the equation and therefore spygate. He has handed off to Brady which as I have been saying since Monday is where this belongs. This is on Brady. He has control of the game balls.

One question I have for you is, Belichick gave very detailed remarks about how he uses under inflated or scuffed footballs in practice, as well as PSI ratios etc. If he's that detailed, do you think that he might not try it in a game ? This is a coach who takes the game down to the last possible detail.

This is absolutely incorrect.  The punishment can be anything "including but not limited to a fine of $25,000."  You thinking that they can only fine $25K is what is off the rocker.

Extenuating circumstances dictates a more severe penalty than the MINIMUM fine you cited above of $25 large. 

1) It was every football, not just 1 or a few. 

2) This has been reported to occur at least once before this season, suggesting that perhaps they've done this all year (or worse)

3) It was the Conference Championship game.

4) Repeat offenders, in regard to circumventing rules to gain an unfair advantage. 

All these factors tell us that the minimum fine would be out of the question. 

And you just believe everything Bill says...? His word is gaurenteed true??? We shall see..

He fully admitted to spygate. Took complete blame and never so much as appealed the fine or draft pick.

Every QB out there has said the HC has zero to do with the prepping of the game balls. It is the QB and equipment manager.

Extenuating circumstances dictates a more severe penalty than the MINIMUM fine you cited above of $25 large. 

1) It was every football, not just 1 or a few. 

2) This has been reported to occur at least once before this season, suggesting that perhaps they've done this all year (or worse)

3) It was the Conference Championship game.

4) Repeat offenders, in regard to circumventing rules to gain an unfair advantage. 

All these factors tell us that the minimum fine would be out of the question. 

I agree with that.  I have no idea what they will dole out.  Who knows.  Perhaps tehy do give them a slap on the wrist.  You never know with the NFL anymore.

He fully admitted to spygate. Took complete blame and never so much as appealed the fine or draft pick.

Every QB out there has said the HC has zero to do with the prepping of the game balls. It is the QB and equipment manager.

Ignorance is not an excuse, definitely not for a multiple offender.

I heard someone say yesterday (I think Jay Glazer) that what he's hearing around the league offices is that they absolutely have to get this "right."

I will not go with the notion that a fine is all that should be done, but I agree that if this hadn't blown up as much as it has, it likely would have been swept under the rug. I also agree that they most certainly do not want to hand down a ruling and then have more damning evidence come out later.

Why would he care how Brady likes the ball? This is 100 percent on Brady. 4:00 is going to be very interesting ...

I agree with this. Brady was obviously the one who wanted the balls deflated. Coaches wouldn't have anything to do with it and if they did it wouldn't happen without Brady's approval.

Anyway that $25,000 fine ain't gonna happen. There are other provisions Goodell can use in this case to do whatever he wants and he will. I wouldn't be surprised to see fines, suspensions, and/or losses of draft picks....next season. They aren't going to mess with the Super Bowl, and they shouldn't.

One question I have for you is, Belichick gave very detailed remarks about how he uses under inflated or scuffed footballs in practice, as well as PSI ratios etc. If he's that detailed, do you think that he might not try it in a game ? This is a coach who takes the game down to the last possible detail.

That's right.   One minute he's stating all the tactics he uses in practice, manipulating the football,  then the next minute he's stating he doesn't know the specifications or how it all works.  :scratch:    He was very uncomfortable, nervous, and IMO had the very look of guilt in his presser...  I don't care what his words were,  Body language doesn't lie.

I agree with this. Brady was obviously the one who wanted the balls deflated. Coaches wouldn't have anything to do with it and if they did it wouldn't happen without Brady's approval.

Anyway that $25,000 fine ain't gonna happen. There are other provisions Goodell can use in this case to do whatever he wants and he will. I wouldn't be surprised to see fines, suspensions, and/or losses of draft picks....next season. They aren't going to mess with the Super Bowl, and they shouldn't.

Bill had to be involved in this for the org to be punished with draft picks or suspensions. Heavy fine for Brady is what I think pending on what he says today at 4 ...

You are not thinking logically here. Why would Bill order to the balls to be deflated without Brady's consent? Why would Bill care how Brady likes his balls in the first place? This prepping of the game balls is 100 percent that QB. Both Brady and Manning fought for this type of control several years ago. Practice balls are different. Bill runs the practices. He is preparing the team. Game balls have nothing to do with him. Like he said, we play with what the league tells us.

They don't need to touch Brady IMO and many other's opinions. Everyone knows Goodell is Kraft's BFF, everyone knows they have cheated before. They can win the SB, get crowned, parade, all that, and you get to have that which is great, but we all know it's not legitimate. I think that's a win win

You don't think the Pats completely bullying the Colts and dominating in all 3 phases of the game in the biggest blowout in AFCCG history was legitimate?

Wow. Your very own player Dwayne Allen disagrees, because he knows how embarrassing it would be to hide behind this overblown story as an excuse for being thoroughly dominated on the field by a superior opponent.

The Colts didn't deserve to go to the SB. If you want to play for a SB championship, you have to play better... which I have no doubt the Colts are headed in that direction, Luck is a top QB in the league at such a young age... but they didn't come close to getting it done on Sunday and the better team advanced to represent the AFC in the SB

You are not thinking logically here. Why would Bill order to the balls to be deflated without Brady's consent? Why would Bill care how Brady likes his balls. This prepping of the game balls is 100 percent that QB. Both Brady and Manning fought for this type of control several years ago. Practice balls are different. Bill runs the practices. He is preparing the team. Game balls have nothing to do with him. Like he said, we play with what the league tells us.

it doesn't mean he didn't know. sean Payton didn't know about the bounties, look what happened to him and loomis

You are kind of throwing your hero under the bus ? Do you think Bill is throwing Brady under the bus ? The HC is the leader, and is accountable for everything.

If anybody wants to question if this was done with a nefarious intent, remember that Tom denied this, literally laughing it off as silly. i.e. He lied already. Will he lie again? 

And for me more than that.  If he's empowered to lie, did he suddenly go rogue?  I think it's the culture of the organization.  Again, I'm not one to go insane over stuff like this.  But, I have joined the ranks of the outraged.

You don't think the Pats completely bullying the Colts and dominating in all 3 phases of the game in the biggest blowout in AFCCG history was legitimate?

Wow. Your very own player Dwayne Allen disagrees, because he knows how embarrassing it would be to hide behind this overblown story as an excuse for being thoroughly dominated on the field by a superior opponent.

The Colts didn't deserve to go to the SB. If you want to play for a SB championship, you have to play better... which I have no doubt the Colts are headed in that direction, Luck is a top QB in the league at such a young age... but they didn't come close to getting it done on Sunday and the better team advanced to represent the AFC in the SB

Colts fans are not doubting that we wouldn't have gotten beaten if they used a beach ball. You can't say they didn't deserve to go. The last two games prior to the AFC CG were one score games in the 4th quarter. The same thing happens every time, NE pulls ahead to two scores and the Colts start throwing wild and going for it on 4th down to get it back. The colts definitely quit last weekend.

But what about the week before? It was a one score game the Pats possibly also cheated in. Perhaps they did or they didn't. If Flacco doesn't air it out for the endzone and uses the last 1:39 to dink and dunk from the 40 on 2nd and 5 then perhaps they travel to Indy for the AFC CG, where they lost earlier this year. You saying the Colts didn't deserve to go to a SB is moronic. They weren't the ones who cheated.

1297413120617_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&si

The dude is a straight liar. He started off by saying he's learned more about the rules in the past 3 days than he had his past 30-40 years of coaching. Are you freaking kidding me? How stupid do you think people are? If anyone believes for one second, that a man who lives for this and scours the rule book for anything he can find to use, that he doesn't know the rules on a football then you are either the most gullible and naive person in the world or you are disconnected from reality and a die hard pats Homer. The guy literally just said he didn't know the rules. It's his job to know the rules, all the rules. He just admitted incompetence in his job. Furthermore ignorance of the law is not an excuse. Ignorance of the rules is not an excuse. He basically just told everyone in the world to blow off and purposefully insulted everyone's intelligence. The man is a disgrace.

You are kind of throwing your hero under the bus ? Do you think Bill is throwing Brady under the bus ? The HC is the leader, and is accountable for everything.

It did have a throwing-Brady-under-the-bus feel to it.

'I don't know anything about anything. You're going to have to ask Tom about all of that.'

You are not thinking logically here. Why would Bill order to the balls to be deflated without Brady's consent? Why would Bill care how Brady likes his balls in the first place? This prepping of the game balls is 100 percent that QB. Both Brady and Manning fought for this type of control several years ago. Practice balls are different. Bill runs the practices. He is preparing the team. Game balls have nothing to do with him. Like he said, we play with what the league tells us.

You are spinning again

Bill cares about every tiny detail that might impact the game.  I mean EVERY single detail.  Nobody does anything without him knowing about it.  He's not buyable as an innocent bystander. AT ALL

It is 100% on him

What is this Brady/Manning fight for control you reference?

And you do not play with what the league tells you because the league tells you what the PSI of the ball should be.

Bill had to be involved in this for the org to be punished with draft picks or suspensions. Heavy fine for Brady is what I think pending on what he says today at 4 ...

I don't know, Pete Carroll and USC got sanctioned for stuff that happened off campus between Reggie Bush, an agent and his parents that the school had no involvement in. The NCAA calls it Lack of Institutional Control or something like that. I'm sure Goodell could concoct a reason for suspensions, fines, and a loss of draft picks under a similar pretext. That's what he does.

I agree Nadine and I too feel for the Seahawks because this is supposed to be a fun and great time for them. I for one hope they WIN big in this game after what has transpired. :)

Yea those poor, classy Seahawks.. the Seahawks that have more PED violations than anyone, which is monumental levels of cheating. With trash talking players that grab their croch every time they score, lead by the righteous Pete Carroll!

What an upstanding group of gentleman lol

Nobody on the Colt's team thinks they weren't dominated and that it doesn't matter if the balls were properly inflated or not. The Colts did not deserve to go if they can't get through New England, you're right. But, that's not even the issue here, bro.

The 4 O'clock Presser should be interesting.

BB has shifted the Blame to Brady.   Brady  will do one of two things...

Admit this is all on him and take the blame...

...or pass the blame to someone else down the totem pole.

You know, % rolls downhill..

I don't know, Pete Carroll and USC got sanctioned for stuff that happened off campus between Reggie Bush, an agent and his parents that the school had no involvement in. The NCAA calls it Lack of Institutional Control or something like that. I'm sure Goodell could concoct a reason for suspensions, fines, and a loss of draft picks under a similar pretext. That's what he does.

Exactly as I stated before. A leader is responsible for everything his men do and fail to do, both good and bad. The man had no integrity or honor. He's looking for a way out and not take responsibility. If he's not going to take responsibility for his organization, then he shouldn't be leading it. Same with spygate. He lied about that and tried to pass the blame.

Yea those poor, classy Seahawks.. the Seahawks that have more PED violations than anyone, which is monumental levels of cheating. With trash talking players that grab their croch every time they score, lead by the righteous Pete Carroll!

those players were suspended yes? the patriots signed one that was suspended yes?

The 4 O'clock Presser should be interesting.

BB has shifted the Blame to Brady.   Brady  will do one of two things...

Admit this is all on him and take the blame...

...or pass the blame to someone else down the totem pole.

You know, % rolls downhill..

He's not going to take the blame. He will plead the 5th as well.

Uhh, you do realize the Patriots signed Brandon Browner, right?  You know, the one who received the harshest suspension of them all?