Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Arthur jones

TheJACKCOLT

It's incredible what a difference Jones makes in our defense, our defense as a hole is much better, but especially our run defense. He did the same for the Ravens defense last year, they were a yard better against the run with Jones on the field. He has been banged up a lot this year, but in the last few weeks with him healthy and playing consistently this defense has been completely different and much more physical.  Great signing by Grigson, as Jones is a true difference maker.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He is terrific against the run and also does a pretty good job collapsing the pocket and getting pressure on the QB.

I said this in a different thread yesterday that got buried, but at the time he made the play I was pretty livid with Art Jones for the roughing the passer penalty on the first drive where we could have held Denver to a 3-and-out and they wound up w/ a TD.

I don't like to see anyone get hurt, but in retrospect, it seemed to me like Manning was pretty sharp on that first drive and after he had to sit he was not the same.  I have to wonder if Jones' hit to his legs early in the game hurt Peyton's leg worse than it already was, because he sure looked off from the 2nd drive throughout the rest of the game.  It wasn't really a 'cheap shot', but it was a penalty which I thought could have been avoided.  Going into the game I thought, if we're gonna win this we've got to pressure Peyton and put him on the ground early on and I think Jones' hit might have thrown him off for the rest of the game.

We'll need to hit Brady early and often next week, and I think the Patriots are a little better than Denver so we can't afford 15 yard penalties against them, but it sure would be nice to see Jones and others flatten him a few times early on.

Arthur Jones was PFFs worst rated defensive player for the Colts (2nd worst overall to Aquib Takin). -3.0 overall, -1.0 run, -1.1 pass rush.

Cory Redding is our stud and Erik Walden is playing really well. Those 2 guys jump off the screen. Also, Newsome looks to be a good one in the making. Strickly speaking of d-line and OLBs.

Arthur Jones was PFFs worst rated defensive player for the Colts (2nd worst overall to Aquib Takin). -3.0 overall, -1.0 run, -1.1 pass rush.

Cory Redding is our stud and Erik Walden is playing really well. Those 2 guys jump off the screen. Also, Newsome looks to be a good one in the making. Strickly speaking of d-line and OLBs.

Similar to the Holmes thread going on -- I'm not sure PFF always does the best job at ranking players that are part of a unit or group that works together.  Our line is much better against the run when Art is in the game, there is no denying that.  Our YPC of opposing teams is much lower with him on the field than it is when he's off it (this goes back to his Ravens days and has stayed true while he's been a Colt). 

Newsome has shown very good pass-rush potential, but I think he's got plenty of work to do to become a complete OLB. 

I think it is important to take PFF ratings with a grain of salt when they are ranking players who are rotational or who are playing as part of a unit (this is especially true for OL, DL, and LBs as sometimes the primary role of a player in a scheme-system is to eat up a blocker, set an edge, etc. to allow others to excel rather than make the play himself).

He is terrific against the run and also does a pretty good job collapsing the pocket and getting pressure on the QB.

I said this in a different thread yesterday that got buried, but at the time he made the play I was pretty livid with Art Jones for the roughing the passer penalty on the first drive where we could have held Denver to a 3-and-out and they wound up w/ a TD.

I don't like to see anyone get hurt, but in retrospect, it seemed to me like Manning was pretty sharp on that first drive and after he had to sit he was not the same. I have to wonder if Jones' hit to his legs early in the game hurt Peyton's leg worse than it already was, because he sure looked off from the 2nd drive throughout the rest of the game. It wasn't really a 'cheap shot', but it was a penalty which I thought could have been avoided. Going into the game I thought, if we're gonna win this we've got to pressure Peyton and put him on the ground early on and I think Jones' hit might have thrown him off for the rest of the game.

We'll need to hit Brady early and often next week, and I think the Patriots are a little better than Denver so we can't afford 15 yard penalties against them, but it sure would be nice to see Jones and others flatten him a few times early on.

I was super annoyed on that play but Manning just didn't look right the rest of the game after that low tackle.

In hind sight it was probably the play of the game.

I like their advanced stats and all that stuff, but can care less about their 'grades'

It's as if people think those guys talked to Pagano.  They don't know what the calls really were and what peoples assignments actually are. They are giving grades on what might be true.  It's not totally irrelevant, but they don't know what the coaches are basing their grades and evaluations on.

I was super annoyed on that play but Manning just didn't look right the rest of the game after that low tackle.

In hind sight it was probably the play of the game.

I tend to agree that it had a big role in the outcome of this game -- I don't think we can afford a 15 yard penalty to keep a drive going for Brady and the Pats next week as I think they are just a better team than DEN, but I think the key to beating Brady is roughing him up -- I really hope Jones and others can put him on the ground and get to him right off the bat next week.

I'm kind of expecting Pats to come out run-heavy to start the game, but still think the key to beating Brady and Co. is to rough him up early and often.

Colts OL.Did extremely well I guess that players only meeting held by R. Wayne really get the Colt players going well.......

Our Def, Backs did a hell of a job,,,,,,,,,,Our RBs ran had and didn't fumble,,,,,,,,,,,OUR WR's and TE's performed good,,,,,,I really hope we can play MISTAKE FREE football against NE.........Our margin for error against the PATS will be Very, SLIM,,,,,,,,,,,a mistake most likely will change the game to a loss That's IF we can keep it close enough,,,,,,,,,,ANAD playing a FULL 60 mins of football no exceptions is a must,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Plus our Def,has to come up big in all phases of the game,,,,,,,Sacks stopping the pass/ run,,etc,,,,,,,,Our Def,has to create turnovers and our offense has to , has to capitalize 7 points,,,,,,,,,,,Basically we have to scare just about every possession--If we do this all,,,,,,,,I know we can beat Seattle we match up better against the Seahawks than the Pats anyway...

GO COLTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm definitely glad to have him back against NE for round 2. Not that I expect BB to run it down our throats this time. I'm sure he'll have something special up his sleeve.

It would not surprise me if they threw it on every play in the first quarter.

As far as Jones, great game.  But he had me worried with that roughing penalty on their first possession.  I was thinking - here we go again, it's shaping up just like the Dallas game.

Similar to the Holmes thread going on -- I'm not sure PFF always does the best job at ranking players that are part of a unit or group that works together. Our line is much better against the run when Art is in the game, there is no denying that. Our YPC of opposing teams is much lower with him on the field than it is when he's off it (this goes back to his Ravens days and has stayed true while he's been a Colt).

Newsome has shown very good pass-rush potential, but I think he's got plenty of work to do to become a complete OLB.

I think it is important to take PFF ratings with a grain of salt when they are ranking players who are rotational or who are playing as part of a unit (this is especially true for OL, DL, and LBs as sometimes the primary role of a player in a scheme-system is to eat up a blocker, set an edge, etc. to allow others to excel rather than make the play himself).

Holmes is the weak link in the line. At first viewing I thought he was solid last week but watching it again and reading Ben Gundy's line review at Colts Authority, he is the clear weak link and he is on the ground way too much as a lineman.

Our line play the last two weeks has been solid but not great. Run blocking this week was awful. Andrew Luck has maneuvered himself in the pocket masterfully to cover up a lot of holes, missed assignments, and poor blocks.

As for Author Jones, I haven't seen him do anything special. I'm not using PFF as my bible but it just reaffirms my feelings about him so far.

It's as if people think those guys talked to Pagano. They don't know what the calls really were and what peoples assignments actually are. They are giving grades on what might be true. It's not totally irrelevant, but they don't know what the coaches are basing their grades and evaluations on.

And they don't claim to know any of that. You can usually understand what someone is supposed to be doing by watching film but they (PFF) even explain that if they don't know what someone's assignment is they will err on the side of caution and not grade them negatively.

It's a really good tool, it's not the gospel, but they're legitimate and a good source of information.

And they don't claim to know any of that. You can usually understand what someone is supposed to be doing by watching film but they (PFF) even explain that if they don't know what someone's assignment is they will err on the side of caution and not grade them negatively.

It's a really good tool, it's not the gospel, but they're legitimate and a good source of information.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/about/grading/

How accurate can grading be if you don’t know the call?

For the most part, it’s pretty clear what each player’s assignment is on a given play. Either way, we are grading what a player does and how he reacts on each play, regardless of the call. For an offensive lineman, even if we don’t know if an offensive lineman is asked to execute a reach block or simply ride his man out of the play, if he’s stood up at the line of scrimmage, it’s clear that he didn’t execute his assignment well.

There are certainly some instances during games present a clouded view of a player’s assignment, and in those instances, we err on the side of “0” grade as we try to avoid guessing as much as possible.

I still think there's a lot of room for assumption and bias within their process. There's nothing they can do about that, though.

Similar to the Holmes thread going on -- I'm not sure PFF always does the best job at ranking players that are part of a unit or group that works together.  Our line is much better against the run when Art is in the game, there is no denying that.  Our YPC of opposing teams is much lower with him on the field than it is when he's off it (this goes back to his Ravens days and has stayed true while he's been a Colt). 

ESPN stats shows Jones had 3 total/2Solo tackles in the Broncos game. I'm not disputing that Jones has been a force, but I haven't really noticed. I realize the stats don't take into account such things as pressure and disruption.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/about/grading/

I still think there's a lot of room for assumption and bias within their process. There's nothing they can do about that, though.

No doubt about that, they're human beings after all, but I think they try to minimize biases as much as possible.

Thanks for finding that info for me, that's clearly what I was referring to.

Holmes is the weak link in the line. At first viewing I thought he was solid last week but watching it again and reading Ben Gundy's line review at Colts Authority, he is the clear weak link and he is on the ground way too much as a lineman.

Our line play the last two weeks has been solid but not great. Run blocking this week was awful. Andrew Luck has maneuvered himself in the pocket masterfully to cover up a lot of holes, missed assignments, and poor blocks.

As for Author Jones, I haven't seen him do anything special. I'm not using PFF as my bible but it just reaffirms my feelings about him so far.

Do you know what they graded Holmes in the Denver game?  In the Cinny game, I thought he had a horrible 1 and a half quarters, mainly because he was always on his butt, but in the Denver game, I thought he was solid.  I only remember him being off balance and missing a block because of it only a couple times.

Do you know what they graded Holmes in the Denver game? In the Cinny game, I thought he had a horrible 1 and a half quarters, mainly because he was always on his butt, but in the Denver game, I thought he was solid. I only remember him being off balance and missing a block because of it only a couple times.

Yes, sir:

-4.0 overall, -0.9 pass block, -3.2 run block.

That's good enough for the worst overall grade on the team.

Yes, sir:

Yes, sir:

Will be interesting to see Gundy's breakdown.  The stats you get on PFF though...you need to pay for those right?

pff is trash