Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is Caldwell the reason the Lions lost? Too conservative? (Article)

ReMeDy

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/1/4/7492071/cowboys-lions-jim-caldwell-punt

The article mentions Caldwell should have gone for it on 4th & 1 in Dallas' territory on the 46-yd line as the Lions had the lead. Instead, he tried to draw Dallas offsides, conceded the 5-yd penalty, then punted (classic Jim Caldwell). Dallas drove the length of the field, scored, and the Lions couldn't answer back. To Caldwell's credit, it's impossible to know the punter would have screwed up, but regardless, I do think the 4th & 1 attempt should have been the right call.

That overturned PI call with no explanation was a big play. Megatron looked slow maybe even old you can't have 3 turnovers on the road.

I thought they should have taken more shots deep but I really didn't watch to closely had my victory party in full swing during the game

It didn't help that he went conservative there but no i don't think this is on him. I Honestly believe that the nfl picks which teams they want to win games and uses the refs to make it happen. It's silly to say and yet it isn't. every other major sport in the U.S has been revealed to have fixed games I do not believe that the nfl is an exception to this. this is an entertainment business and they are in this business to make money, so you tell me which sells bette the lions or dem cowboys?

Will Jim Caldwell disappear mysteriously like Jimmy Hoffa did over this unpleasant result? No, I'm not seeing that, but it was a pretty good flick directed by Danny Devito starring Jack Nicholson in 1992 though.

Stick exclusively with the picked up penalty flag alone. Why? Because it's simple, easier to follow, & Dallas is tailor made to be despised anyway: Filthy rich owner living off of previous SB accolades almost 20 yrs ago.

Conspiracy theories, the ones that take hold for decades, are always straight forward, sly, & succinct. Never confuse the conspiracy nuts. Only give them what they can handle as a general rule of thumb. JMO.  

If the Lions were smart, they would fire him immediately and bring in Rex Ryan and resign Suh and they might just be a good football team next year.

Wow. I guess you are one of those who wanted to fire your coach a few weeks ago after you lost to this same Cowboys team 42-7. Thankfully fans and media are not in charge of firing and hiring coaches.

I'm not a Caldwell fan but mistakes and that non call hurt them.But then again my friend who is a Cowboy fan was worried down 14-0 and I told him don't worry Caldwell will find a way to lose (I always remember that Jet game where he called a timeout to help them set up a field game and seeing Peyton on the sideline with his hands up disgusted ) GO JIMMY 

Its a massive stretch to blame Caldwell..who nhad them ahead 20-7

....Detroit lost in large part because 3 fouls on one play were not called...and the Lions should have had a 3-point

lead with a first down at the Dallas 30 yard line midway in the 4th quarter..

Detroit was the better team,. in large part, through Caldwell's calls on offense

I don't think Caldwell was the problem.

Their defense giving up unnecessary penalties at the worst possible times had a big helping hand in their loss. They gave up 3 bad penalties to Dallas on the scoring drive that erased their lead. All of which were correct calls. 

Their defense giving up unnecessary penalties at the worst possible times had a big helping hand in their loss. They gave up 3 bad penalties to Dallas on the scoring drive that erased their lead. All of which were correct calls. 

As well as they played and in typical Lions form, there were the egregious, self-imposed penalties that really held them back as well. 

never seen the refs miss 3 penalties on one play

you see it every single game. There is holding on nearly every play. Illegal contact on nearly every pass play. The only thing unique about that play was they picked up the flag after announcing the penalty

you see it every single game. There is holding on nearly every play. Illegal contact on nearly every pass play. The only thing unique about that play was they picked up the flag after announcing the penalty

I would say another unique thing about that play was Dez Bryant coming onto the field to argue the call, that is not something that you normally see.

never seen the refs miss 3 penalties on one play

go watch the Giants' o-line on the Tyree Helmet Catch in the Superbowl.  it was a flat out clinic in holding.

and on this play, I blame Caldwell.  Why the heck are you calling a 15 yd seam pass to your 4th option on 3rd and 1 instead of simply running with the game on the line?

If the Lions were smart, they would fire him immediately and bring in Rex Ryan and resign Suh and they might just be a good football team next year.

Cauldwell has a much higher percentage of winning than Ryan. Cauldwell will be back and the Lions will still be good no matter what your opinion of Cauldwell is.

Cauldwell has a much higher percentage of winning than Ryan. Cauldwell will be back and the Lions will still be good no matter what your opinion of Cauldwell is.

to me Rex is the far better coach.  hell, he got to 2 AFC Championship games with Mark Sanchez.

You think Caldwell wins anything with Sanchez or Geno?  Even the offensive genius Chip Kelly crashed and burned with Sanchez.

to me Rex is the far better coach.  hell, he got to 2 AFC Championship games with Mark Sanchez.

You think Caldwell wins anything with Sanchez or Geno?  Even the offensive genius Chip Kelly crashed and burned with Sanchez.

Ryan as a head coach had gotten worse as he went along. Caulwell has gotten better. It is what it is. Cauldwell's records speak for themselves just like Ryan's does. Ryan has proved he is more suited as a defensive coordinator more so than a head coach.

Ryan as a head coach had gotten worse as he went along. Caulwell has gotten better. It is what it is. Cauldwell's records speak for themselves just like Ryan's does. Ryan has proved he is more suited as a defensive coordinator more so than a head coach.

Are you intentionally spelling his name incorrectly

Its a massive stretch to blame Caldwell..who nhad them ahead 20-7....Detroit lost in large part because 3 fouls on one play were not called...and the Lions should have had a 3-pointlead with a first down at the Dallas 30 yard line midway in the 4th quarter..Detroit was the better team,. in large part, through Caldwell's calls on offense

Don't believe Caldwell calls the plays

And to say the Lions lost the game on one play where the pass had no chance of being completed is hilarious.

Detroit and bad penalties. Nothings changed. Until Caldwell can get this team more disciplined and able to not  lose their center before the biggest regular season game to decide the division and then almost lose your best defensive player before the playoffs then you have real problems. I remember up in NE how they could not handle being blown out and committed dirty foul after dirty foul at the end and yet Caldwell said he had no issue with it. Until that mindset changes, nothing will change for Detroit.

Generally its the right call to punt if you have a great defense. If you don't then you may have to gamble and go for it.

Like Belichick when he went for it on 4th and 2 back in 2009. He knew the Colts could score if they punted and that they would eat a lot of clock.