Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

we're not the best, but we're not done

CR91

Anything can happen.  Good Ravens example.  I believe they lost their last 4 in a row or something crazy to finish 10-6 and ended up winning it.  I believe the Packers and Giants were both wild cards when they won?  Also, I beleive a superbowl winner within the last 10 years or so lost a late regular season game 47-7(I could be mistaken, I thought I read that.) The Colts get that home playoff game to gain some confidence to hopefully make a run!

I love the morale, but I disagree. We aren't an 11-5/10-6 team. We're phonies that had our division handed to us. 

With that said, nothing would make me happier than to be proved wrong!

we did not have the division handed to us this year, if the Colts don't beat the Texans twice they win the South. The Colts earned the Division title. Are they an elite team in the AFC? I don't think so but this idea that they didn't earn the Division Title is false.

Sure why not. If the Colts win the first playoff game and even look good doing it the posters here will look like this:

.....like....dude..........omg........I can't believe it's happening.......but I still want to fire Chuck.

4bfce9e6.gif

right, once some posters decide they don't like someone around here it becomes about being right more than looking at it objectively.

Well....that's fair.

This O-line certainly isn't the same...we had Saturday with Tarik Glenn and Jake Scott on the left side.

And although our run defense during the season was pretty bad....Sanders had a clear impact when he returned for what seemed at the time would be an improbable playoff run.

But hey, let's let this thing play out....because when they DO execute for 60 minutes they can beat anyone.

Denver and Philly were very beatable those nights.

Agreed.  We had an upset.  That's why it's called that.  It's upsetting.  But, good grief, don't throw the baby out with the bath water.  We are a building team that needs another year or two.  But, we've had a pretty good year and have proven when we are firing on all cylinders, we are very capable!

This years team is missing that gritty reslilience that we had last year to me.  Last years team would get down 21 points and you couldn't tell them they were not coming back.  I'm not saying we give up, but I haven't seen that poise under pressure like I saw at different points last year.  We need to bring the dog back out!  Where's the fire man?

A team might have had more talent than us, but you could see from the looks on the guys faces that they felt their hearts and fight were much more in abundance than the other team. We gotta get back to that spot. It needs to be known that you will not out hit, out execute, and out hustle this team.

I think that is what is most disheartening of all.  The last two seasons we could all tell this team was not the most talented and certainly not elite, but they would play their hearts out and leave everything on the field.  Just seeing how exhausted the team was in the Denver game, you knew they were giving every since ounce  of energy they had.  This year, it seems like we are just going through the motions and if we get down big, they shrug their shoulders and just say "oh well, we will win next week."  The Browns game we won coming back, but that was more of starting out very poor and figuring things out in the end.   In all actuality, this team  is more talented than the last two seasons, but they have lost the underdog mentality and fighting spirit they had in the last two seasons.  

if the best team in the playoffs were the ones that won the superbowl each year, the 1st seed would always win. in 2012 no one believed the ravens could go into denver and beat the broncos or go into foxboro and beat the patriots. they werent even picked to beat the 49ers. the two runs by the giants , again no one picked them to win and they ran table and even beat the pats twice. we werent the hot team either in 2006, but we won. this loss while bitter was exactly the wake up call we needed. the offense needed that butt kicking so they can get out of the slump their in. I promise you no one in that colts complex has got rid of their morale and confidence and we as fans need to stand up and support our team instead of already thinking of the off-season. we're not done

Fantasy

The OP has a point but I caution using this kind of logic because unlike those Ravens/Giants teams he's referencing, the Colts don't have nearly as much talent as those teams. Right now, it's the Andrew Luck show and they are going as far as he takes them.

Could the Colts have another stretch of games where they overachieve like they did for that stretch of games against Baltimore and Cincinnati? Sure. But it would be because they are overachieving and not because they are playing at the level that reflects their talent and coaching.

We are done. Those Giants, Ravens teams had far more talent than the Colts on defense, which is what matter in the playoffs, AND they didn't get blown out. We have been exposed, and come playoff we wont be able to do anything.

Sadly, I have to agree.   It's not about being a hater.  It's being realistic.  This team has deficiencies at almost every position.  Poor drafting has not helped.  The Colts need to draft an O-line.  Even with that done, it takes time for an O-line to jell so patience will be required.  We are exposed defensively and the cavalry isn't coming.  We'll take our lumps and move on.  Hopefully, next year we can out-pace HOU and get back to the playoffs; hopefully.

The wooping just exposed the problems...we have 2 WRs and no RBs.

If we had an O who could run and pass and make plays, we could move the chains and keep the D off the field and give them a breather. We need an O who concentrates on 1st downs and not hitting the bomb on every 3rd play.

thats pretty much the case for the last 15 years. No o line, no run game, and no changes to address that

right, once some posters decide they don't like someone around here it becomes about being right more than looking at it objectively.

very true,  I've a colts fan now for 51 years ever since i've been 8 years old alot of things I don't like but i also realize we are not very good and hate to say it but, I have not seen anything this year to change my mine.The way the colts are playing now,the bolts and/or  pitts is going to distroy us.And I'm praying i'm wrong but don't think so.

If we win a playoff game it's a major success this year.

Based on how everyone looks I am going to say Seattle looks like they have a very strong chance to repeat anyway. I don't even think NE can hang with them.

I agree with you that Seattle will probably represent the NFC, but I think Chandler Jones & Darrelle Revis will neutralize RW personally. Plus, if Gronk & Edelman are healthy, the Patriots are poised to seal the deal & cross the finish line. 

The only team to knock off Tommy's squad are the Broncos so I will leave that AFC Championship door open a crack because of the respect I have for Manning, Sanders, Ward, & Miller.

What do you expect when the team performs like this against team you know you can beat but keep getting these type performances out of them its outrageous to think this team the way they are playing will go anywhere.

I felt similar a few days ago. I think that the team went to Dallas and they were not prepared, didn't care, and Dallas is hot and on a roll right now. I think there is a chance that our Colts can turn this thing around but I think that talent wise we are still not as good as Denver or NE. That doesn't mean we couldn't one time either one of those teams and make it past them but we need to patch the tires this week and beat Cin/Pit first.

I agree with you that Seattle will probably represent the NFC, but I think Chandler Jones & Darrelle Revis will neutralize RW personally. Plus, if Gronk & Edelman are healthy, the Patriots are poised to seal the deal & cross the finish line. 

The only team to knock off Tommy's squad are the Broncos so I will leave that AFC Championship door open a crack because of the respect I have for Manning, Sanders, Ward, & Miller.

Will be interesting.  I think that Dallas team can get them.

thats pretty much the case for the last 15 years. No o line, no run game, and no changes to address that

Not really, they had run game when they won the Superbowl and the entire time Edge was here.  Also minus the first few seasons and last season on Manning's time with the Colts, the o line was very good to at least solid.   It just since Manning's last season and on, there have not been proper improvements to this line and it has been below average to terrible.   

Not trying to play GM here, but I really felt the Colts should have drafted a center in the 2nd or 3rd the year they drafted Luck.  Instead they went heavy with offensive weapons, but IMO, a good center and QB relationship is key to having success on offense. 

Lewis came back when the Ravens won.

Sanders came back for Indy.

Who's coming back this year?  Nobody.  The team can't run the ball and has been lit up by pretty much every good offense, and bullied lesser teams.  I don't think that is going to change all of a sudden.  I think the Colts are capable of winning any game, but it's a bit much to expect them to do so multiple games in a row.

holmes thorton cherilus and hilton

Not really, they had run game when they won the Superbowl and the entire time Edge was here.  Also minus the first few seasons and last season on Manning's time with the Colts, the o line was very good to at least solid.   It just since Manning's last season and on, there have not been proper improvements to this line and it has been below average to terrible.   

Not trying to play GM here, but I really felt the Colts should have drafted a center in the 2nd or 3rd the year they drafted Luck.  Instead they went heavy with offensive weapons, but IMO, a good center and QB relationship is key to having success on offense. 

The Colts should draft the best linemen possible with their first 3 or 4 picks. IMO. I have no clue as to what Grigson will do but I think he knows what the problem is and will do his best to get some better linemen in. Everyone is so negative that most wont or care to see the big picture. 3 years in on a 5 year plan. In those 3 years we do have some very good players on the roster. We just need more, that's all. The Colts have over achieved the last three years. This team is not near as good as most thought they were.

The Colts should draft the best linemen possible with their first 3 or 4 picks. IMO. I have no clue as to what Grigson will do but I think he knows what the problem is and will do his best to get some better linemen in. Everyone is so negative that most wont or care to see the big picture. 3 years in on a 5 year plan. In those 3 years we do have some very good players on the roster. We just need more, that's all. The Colts have over achieved the last three years. This team is not near as good as most thought they were.

Definitely agree they need to draft lineman.  As far as not being as good as most thought, you are probably right.  I guess that is why many, including myself, are disappointed with this year's team.  The last couple seasons they got some upsets over top teams, but lost to bad ones.  This season they won the winnable games, but got blown out by the top teams, which is really where they truly stand without giving false hope.   The bottom line is, this team has some holes to fill and the offensive line has been the most consistent one for the last 5 seasons, but it won't happen overnight, although it should be further along than it is at this current point. 

All we need is to get 11 #1 draft picks on each side of the ball (keeping our special teams just the way they are) to win a game in the playoffs. If not, there is always next year when we can get better #1 draft picks (the draft must have been weak that year) ... Oooh, look. That new QB is better than Andrew Luck - horse-feathers.

There is not now, nor have there ever been a perfect football team! The only requirement is that the team perform better than its opponent on each and every game day. The Colts are not made up of robots, but people. Some days, people have off days or are injured, but the team must be "complex-configured" to be adaptable to these situations. It's not "next man up" (a myth), it is reconfigure and adapt.

The Colts don't adapt - "Next man up".

Good post op love the positivity . The Colts chances of making the Super Bowl is just as good as everyone else in the postseason and just remember it's not how you're playing now it's how you're playing in JAN . Keep your heads up high Colts fan and good luck to you all in the postseason . Hope everyone enjoy the holidays .