Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Freeman Taunting Call

dw49

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That call, the horrible punt call/easy catch dropped from own 19 and another Luck Int. led to 21 fast points. All it take sis one negative play to set the tone for a whole game usually.

A team benefits by having been in the position before.  Yesterday, it showed that resting players is misguided if the players do not already have the experience of playing in pressure situations.  The reason the Colts got their butts beat was because they played like there WAS a tomorrow if they lost, while the Cowboys played like their wasn't.

I agree with taking action to thwart the habit but your still asking for trouble as a HC and team if you take away a good player in such a short season no matter if it late in the season or early

You agree unless it costs anything?  If a team doesn't spend it all on the field, who would be interested in watching them?

I think that is the obvious answer along with the fact that the player stood over him and did it. He was excessive in his taunt. I really don't see it any different than when Manning ran up to Swearinger in the end zone and got up in his grill. They flagged and fined him for that and he is Peyton Manning.

My point is some are called and others aren't. It's way too subjective and arbitrary . So if Gronk gets in the face of a DB he made look silly and starts yelling (does this all the time) this is not a penalty because he did not tackle the player. Other words it was different because Freeman tackled that player and he was on the ground ? Of coarse he would be over the player if he made a tackle. Not saying he didn't qualify for a taunting penalty , just like the one that Manning got and the ones other players got away with. IMO , it's a stupid rule that results in uneven officiating. I don't see where the league is any better since this was implemented. 

My point is some are called and others aren't. It's way too subjective and arbitrary . So if Gronk gets in the face of a DB he made look silly and starts yelling (does this all the time) this is not a penalty because he did not tackle the player. Other words it was different because Freeman tackled that player and he was on the ground ? Of coarse he would be over the player if he made a tackle. Not saying he didn't qualify for a taunting penalty , just like the one that Manning got and the ones other players got away with. IMO , it's a stupid rule that results in uneven officiating. I don't see where the league is any better since this was implemented. 

I think when it is personal and demonstrative the way Freeman's was and Manning's along with what is said, it gets called. I really do think the key is what is said and the demonstration of showing another player up.

I am not sure why you keep harping on Gronk. I have never ever seen him do what Freeman did.

what I cant believe is freeman was left in the game he should have been benched, this is one of many problems our team has

No he should not have. The penalty was enough, he didn't injure anybody.

15 yards is already way too much for talking trash.  The league has been

allowing it to go on for ages because they really don't have a problem with

it in the first place. They want to act like they have an issue now with all of

this "Safety" culture.

I think when it is personal and demonstrative the way Freeman's was and Manning's along with what is said, it gets called. I really do think the key is what is said and the demonstration of showing another player up.

I am not sure why you keep harping on Gronk. I have never ever seen him do what Freeman did.

Cause I don't like Gronk

Posted · Hidden by ColtsBlueFL, December 23, 2014 - reply to post with masked cursing
Hidden by ColtsBlueFL, December 23, 2014 - reply to post with masked cursing

Oh, I'm afraid he's chuck chuck bo buck, banana fanna fo @!#$ed

I'm afraid you're hilariously delusional ;)

what I cant believe is freeman was left in the game he should have been benched, this is one of many problems our team has

Can you provide any example of a time when an nfl player was benched for the rest of the game after committing a taunting penalty?

Can you provide any example of a time when an nfl player was benched for the rest of the game after committing a taunting penalty?

Not sure about taunting, but Mike Singletary kicked Vernon Davis out for far less, in what he referred to as "selfish behavior" by Davis. 

Davis actually credits Mike now for having steered him straight. 

By any reasonable measure, I would call Freeman's behavior yesterday.....selfish

"I cannot tolerate players that think it's all about them". 

I thought the call was whack. Players do that ALL the time and don't get called for it. Freeman made a great play, and let the guy know....big deal.

I'm not saying the refs cost us the game (we did that on our own) but they were completely horrendous all night.

You can't stand over a guy a talk %, and no that doesn't happen all the time. Freeman is an * and that penalty was definitely deserved.

There's an almost poetic beauty to the images of what Freeman is doing and the score-box juxtaposed just above the images. 

You should be given a million likes for taking the time to illustrate the profundity of Freeman's "mistake" so clearly. Maybe those defending him can take a moment for pause. 

Where is any one defending him? It was stupid it cost his team some of just believe Freeman is smart enough to realize that and that it was addressed in the locker room and that the notion that he should have been dressed down to street close is ridiculous.

Is it a penalty YES was it the right call YES have I seen worse not be called YES Did it cost the team YES.

He should not have been pulled for the entire game.

You really think he should have been pulled for the entire game for committing a penalty? Really? What if it was TY getting a flag for his touchdown celebration does he sit the entire game too?

The guy made a great play he hasn't had the greatest of years got over juiced made a stupid mistake no one else has made a mistake on here? Maybe there was some personal stuff between the two we don't really know. It was stupid no question but sitting him the entire game. I don't think I have ever seen that nor do I think I am likely to see that in the NFL

I'm actually not sure who was worse....

The refs, or the commentators. 

tumblr_mas4pw5VUX1qdlh1io1_400.gif

Yeah it was Phill that said Fleener wasn't raped bad enough to warrant a penalty that made us punt on our 2nd drive of the day. We weren't winning this game but the calls and non calls greatly aided a 21-0 score that could have been maybe 14-7. Or maybe we don't try the fake punt if they don't get the opening drive 7 point gift.

You can't stand over a guy a talk %, and no that doesn't happen all the time. Freeman is an * and that penalty was definitely deserved.

You also can't jump on Fleener's back about 2 seconds before the ball gets there and force a punt either. We were still in the game and they robbed us on that drive also. To me every bit as obvious as Freeman's was obvious to you. That taunting crap goes on all the time... some gets called .. some doesn't. I also got a big kick out of every single call going against the Colts until the score was around 35-0 , then the buffoons start calling a few against Dallas . LOL on those "make-ups ."

Not sure about taunting, but Mike Singletary kicked Vernon Davis out for far less, in what he referred to as "selfish behavior" by Davis. 

By any reasonable measure, I would call Freeman's behavior yesterday.....selfish

Curious you ignored the fact that Singletary is no longer a HC in this league. Plus I fail to see why you must compare coaching styles. All coaches have different personalities and it reflects in their coaching style. No one way is right. You wouldnt ask Dungy to behave like Harbaugh would you? Then why ask Pagano to act like someone he isnt either?

You think the coaches have ignored that play in the film room? Has it crossed your mind that Greg Manusky and Chuck Pagano have likely called him out, in front of all his peers? Theres nothing like good old peer pressure to humble a man. Perhaps Freeman even raised his hand and said "my bad guys, wont happen again."

All kicking him out of the game would have done is successfully remove a learning experience and given you a less talented defensive lineup. Im not interested in either of those "perks"... Instead of a humbling situation in the film room (ya know.. the place were the learning is done) You have now created a situation where all your players on your team are now watching that play and asking themselves if that was really ejection worthy. Which it wasnt, hence the reason why neither the refs nor the coaches decided, or likely even considered an ejection. Only in the minds of FANatacis was that thought even considered.

I see players get away with jawing, both standing up and walking away looking over their shoulder, but not this. What Freeman did gets called every time I've seen it. Any team, any player. This was quite flagrant as he was over him a fairly long time-

2014-12-22132544_zps12f411f4.jpg

2014-12-22132501_zps65fc359a.jpg

2014-12-22132610_zps08edcc80.jpg

2014-12-22132644_zpsc2a2b41a.jpg

Especially this right arm whipping motion thing he did just before Cory Redding gets there to stop him (too late of course!) D'QJax and Arthur Jones were right behind but much too late. Damage done. 15 yards unsportsmanlike penalty. i really hate those. We've had more than out share and i think it shows lack of discipline and respect.

Of the many things we need to 'clean up' that is one I wish would get top billing. Eliminate mental errors. Then reduce/eliminate physical errors.

Edit: BTW, I also have a picture that shows the pass was actually incomplete as the point of the ball clearly hits the ground over the right shoulder of Dunbar as Freeman drove him into the turf. Immaterial considering the outcome.

Thanks for posting that. What a huge mistake by freeman. Literally costed us a touchdown.

Imagine if he didn't do that, Dallas punts and maybe we march down and score a TD or even a field goal. Game could have gone different (but then again maybe not)

Curious you ignored the fact that Singletary is no longer a HC in this league. 

You're entire post took my earlier post completely out of context. 

I was asked if a HC had ever kicked a player off the field for a PF penalty, and I told him I wasn't sure, but that I have seen coaches kick a player off the field for far less.

If that was a taunting penalty, then what was this?:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/new-england-patriots/0ap3000000443346/Tom-Brady-busts-a-move

Is there some rule that says Tom Brady can taunt and others can't?

Huh?

What the hell are you referring too? If you cannot see the difference between whatever the heck you think Brady did there, and what Freeman did, there is simply going to be no discussion with you. 

EDIT to add; Are we forgetting that this off-season, the NFL rules committee stipulated that "in your face" taunting will receive increased penalization"?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000337096/article/jeff-fisher-nfl-will-enforce-current-taunting-rule

"Our taunting numbers increased from nine and 12 to 34 last year, and we're going to effect change immediately."

"The in-your-face taunting. The language. It's all in the book. It's all under unsportsmanlike conduct. There's no change in our rule. We're going to enforce the current rule."

Yes, you do. That's at least 3 times that I can count this year that a Colts has done something similar.

We have a playoff invite. If this happens in the post, I directly blame Pagano for a lack of leadership, for failing to make an example out of Freeman.

Does any team in the NFL send players to the bench or locker room after a taunting penalty? It was dumb but I don't think you bench the guy for it.

I missed the Freeman call so I can't say exactly how this compares, but I definitely just saw Jeremy Hill run over a Broncos defender, stand up while holding the ball, and jaw at him for about about two seconds while he was lying on the ground. He was obviously letting him know that it's going to take more than one guy to keep him from trucking over him. He looked quite menacing with his head and shoulders thrust forward. He was not standing directly over him, but about one 1/2 - 1 yard away. No call. 

Is this similar to Freeman or was he straddling the guy?

If that was a taunting penalty, then what was this?:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/new-england-patriots/0ap3000000443346/Tom-Brady-busts-a-move

Is there some rule that says Tom Brady can taunt and others can't?

How on earth is that the same thing? Some of you just look for a way to compare a Patriot doing something that's not even remotely the same.

yeah but Singletary went to Baylor.  'nuff said

did we ever find out what the "selfish behavior" was?  

How on earth is that the same thing? Some of you just look for a way to compare a Patriot doing something that's not even remotely the same.

How is that not similar ? Because Freeman tackled a guy and he yelled at him while he was on the ground ? Brady made a first down running the ball and yelled something in that defender's face. So i guess your saying there are different rules for taunting if you make a tackle and get in the guys face while he's on the ground ? If that DB fell and Brady  then bent down and got in his face .. would that be a penalty ? Now I don't know what each guy said nor do I know if n official heard what either of them said. 

and play who McNary? He's been far worse than Freeman. Just because you don't like a starter doesn't mean you have a better option on the bench.

how do you think the pats are successful??? when someone makes a mistake they hit the bench and learn to never do it again. the next man steps up, if you think belicheck would have let freeman play after that your wrong. Our team is undisciplined

how do you think the pats are successful??? when someone makes a mistake they hit the bench and learn to never do it again. the next man steps up, if you think belicheck would have let freeman play after that your wrong. Our team is undisciplined

yeah we tried McNary when Freeman was hurt this year he was far worse. Again just because you want someone better doesn't mean you have someone better just waiting for a chance. So if the Colts benched Freemsn who do you want them to play?

and play who McNary? He's been far worse than Freeman. Just because you don't like a starter doesn't mean you have a better option on the bench.

Talk about hitting a brick wall ... what happened to that guy ? He looked to be developing into a nice player and wham... zero ... nada. Makes you wonder a bit about this coaching staff. Seems like some of these young guys that show promise never develop .

Talk about hitting a brick wall ... what happened to that guy ? He looked to be developing into a nice player and wham... zero ... nada. Makes you wonder a bit about this coaching staff. Seems like some of these young guys that show promise never develop .

or makes you think he's gone as far as an undrafted free agent player can go. There is a reason he went undrafted in the first place.