Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Freeman Taunting Call

dw49

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't get me wrong. I think we get beat badly with or without this call. But what the heck was that ? I see Gronk do similar to that on about 70% of his catches. Just curious to how some of you saw it.

It's a rule, so I do not argue with the call.  However, the refs are very inconsistent with how they call it.

It's a rule, so I do not argue with the call.  However, the refs are very inconsistent with how they call it.

Guys are always yapping when they make a play. Like a said , I see Gronk yap at just about every defender he beats on almost all of his catches.

From the stand point of that sort of talking goes on all the time with no flag being thrown I agree.  However, it is a rule, just one that is called arbitrarily.

I think a big part of it was that he stood over the player to do his taunting.  The rule specifically mentions this behavior so it will likely be called every time.  

I think a big part of it was that he stood over the player to do his taunting.  The rule specifically mentions this behavior so it will likely be called every time.  

Exactly! Jawing is one thing, but standing over a guy, flexing your arms while jawing deserves a flag

Don't get me wrong. I think we get beat badly with or without this call. But what the heck was that ? I see Gronk do similar to that on about 70% of his catches. Just curious to how some of you saw it.

Except that Gronk has never done what Freeman did.

At all.

Standing over someone, leaning over, and yelling at him?

Yeah, Gronk's never done that.

Guys are always yapping when they make a play. Like a said , I see Gronk yap at just about every defender he beats on almost all of his catches.

I agree with you.  Based on body language alone I didn't think Freeman did anything egregious that would deserve a flag.  However, we don't know what was actually said, which I have a feeling is more what caused the flag.

That's the problem, it is not called every time.  Also, I am not sure what it matters if a player is standing over another.  If there is taunting going on then call it or don't, just be consistent.

Another mistake by Pagano, if you ask me. 

This exact same thing just happened a few weeks ago with Vontae Davis. Can't remember who he was defending or who we were playing (someone help me here), but he successfully defended an endzone pass and then stood over his man mocking him, erasing his good effort and granting a first down to our opponent. 

Pagano didn't have the stones to send Freeman to the locker room. This kind of garbage will continue unabated, because our coach didn't send the message. We ended up losing by 35 points, we're headed into the postseason, and he allowed Freeman to get away with this garbage, a mistake that started the snowball rolling. 

As for the refs; I will NEVER fault the refs for calling a penalty on a clear infraction of the rules. I'm not going to sit here like a child and whine about what was and wasn't called on the other team. Freeman CLEARLY broke a rule, one that is excessively easy to obey. 

This exact same thing just happened a few weeks ago with Vontae Davis. Can't remember who he was defending or who we were play (someone help me here), but he successfully defended an endzone pass and then stood over his man mocking him, erasing his good effort and granting a first down to our opponent. 

Pagano didn't have the stones to send Freeman to the locker room. This kind of garbage will continue unabated, because our coach didn't send the message. We ended up losing by 35 points, we're headed into the postseason, and he allowed Freeman to get away with this garbage, a mistake that started the snowball rolling. 

As for the refs; I will NEVER fault the refs for calling a penalty on a clear infraction of the rules. I'm not going to sit here like a child and whine about what was and wasn't called on the other team. Freeman CLEARLY broke a rule, one that is excessively easy to obey. 

That's what an undisciplined team does. Shoot themselves in the foot

That's the problem, it is not called every time.  Also, I am not sure what it matters if a player is standing over another.  If there is taunting going on then call it or don't, just be consistent.

It is called EVERY time. When a player stands over his man that long, making eye contact, yelling at his opponents face, it's called EVERY time. During our Gameday thread, I ....well here, look for yourself  http://forums.colts.com/topic/33925-colts-cowboys-game-day-thread/?p=973982

I typed "OMG" because I knew immediately, before the flag even came out. Notice how others after me said things like "Good tackle Freeman". Meanwhile, I would've bet my house he'd get called for that, and he did. 

What the hell some of you are talking about, I have no idea. I do know it's pathetic to blame the refs for doing their job. 

This is without a doubt the easiest penalty to avoid being called on. Hands down, the simplest penalty to avoid. 

It is called EVERY time. When a player stands over his man that long, making eye contact, yelling at his opponents face, it's called EVERY time. 

What the hell some of you are talking about, I have no idea. I do know it's pathetic to blame the refs for doing their job. 

This is without a doubt the easiest penalty to avoid being called on. Hands down, the simplest penalty to avoid. 

No it is not, I have seen it go on without any flag.  My issue with the refs is not that they called it on Freeman, it is that they are inconsistent with it.  You are right about it being a very easy penalty to avoid.

Except that Gronk has never done what Freeman did.

At all.

Standing over someone, leaning over, and yelling at him?

Yeah, Gronk's never done that.

No Gronk has never did that. He just tackles a player way out of bounds into a camera stand. And then says he kicked him out of the club? Yeah, that's real smart.

No it is not, I have seen it go on without any flag.  My issue with the refs is not that they called it on Freeman, it is that they are inconsistent with it.  You are right about it being a very easy penalty to avoid.

Kinda strange that I knew what was coming. I literally typed "OMG" while watching him do that, because he did it so long and I knew what was next. 

http://forums.colts.com/topic/33925-colts-cowboys-game-day-thread/?p=973982

Dunno what examples you've seen of players doing what he did and getting away with it, but the NFL isn't allowing that trash anymore, and I'm glad for it. 

Standing over a an opponent is considered by the NFL to be "intimidation" 

I'm with you that I don't think taunting in and of itself is called consistently.  A lot of taunting goes on out there that never gets called.

But when you stand over a down opponent that's asking for a flag.  

Kinda strange that I knew what was coming. I literally typed "OMG" while watching him do that, because he did it so long and I knew what was next. 

Dunno what examples you've seen of players doing what he did and getting away with it, but the NFL isn't allowing that trash anymore, and I'm glad for it. 

Freeman should not have done it clearly, but the NFL refs are not consistent with the rule.  I am fine with them calling it, or for that matter not calling it.  

Standing over a an opponent is considered by the NFL to be "intimidation" 

I'm with you that I don't think taunting in and of itself is called consistently.  A lot of taunting goes on out there that never gets called.

But when you stand over a down opponent that's asking for a flag.  

Completely agree and that is all I have been saying.

Freeman followed a great play with a very stupid decision. It was a good call. Maybe next time Freeman makes a good play, he won't make himself look like an imbecile right after.

*We hope

The best assurances would've been given if Pagano sends Freeman to the Locker room. It sends a clear message. "Any of you do what he did, you're out". We simply cannot do these things and try to call ourselves a "monster". 

This exact same thing just happened a few weeks ago with Vontae Davis. Can't remember who he was defending or who we were playing (someone help me here), but he successfully defended an endzone pass and then stood over his man mocking him, erasing his good effort and granting a first down to our opponent. 

ugh..,..so you want a player sent to the lockerroom after making a mistake?  Are we going to send offensive linemen to the lockerroom after whiffing on a block or blowing an assignment?  WRs and TEs to the lockerroom after dropping a pass? 

I'm not condoning what Freeman did, but I think saying that Pagano didn't have the stones to send Freeman to the lockerroom is a ridiculous overreaction.  Especially considering that was very out of character for him.  Same with Davis...neither have ever, to my knowledge, been penalized for taunting since they've become Colts, but they each do it one time and now our team has no discipline and the coaches aren't holding players accountable?  How about the fact that Davis hasn't done anything like that since and I bet Freeman won't either?

Completely agree and that is all I have been saying.

Part of the problem is that the refs have to hear it and see who said it.  That's a lot of players to watch and listen to.  Then they have to try and decide what counts as taunting and what counts as harmless jabbering.  

That's a tough call because a lot of times players just trash talk for the fun of it, don't really take it too seriously. . . it just makes the game more fun for them and provides a little bit of comedy.  Much of the time this wouldn't be much different from what you and your buddies might say during a pick up game or something.  Heck it's not entirely uncommon for some of these guys to be friends off the field.  

Honestly I think the rule needs to be clarified a lot more.  I think standing over an opponent like that counts and should be flagged.  But they should probably make the rule more clearly defined, because when the rule is unclear it makes it a judgement call for the officials. 

The best assurances would've been given if Pagano sends Freeman to the Locker room. It sends a clear message. "Any of you do what he did, you're out". We simply cannot do these things and try to call ourselves a "monster".

Do you think Belichick would tolerate that kind of stupidity? 

ugh..,..so you want a player sent to the lockerroom after making a mistake?  Are we going to send offensive linemen to the lockerroom after whiffing on a block or blowing an assignment?  WRs and TEs to the lockerroom after dropping a pass? 

I'm not condoning what Freeman did, but I think saying that Pagano didn't have the stones to send Freeman to the lockerroom is a ridiculous overreaction.  Especially considering that was very out of character for him.  Same with Davis...neither have ever, to my knowledge, been penalized for taunting since they've become Colts, but they each do it one time and now our team has no discipline and the coaches aren't holding players accountable?  How about the fact that Davis hasn't done anything like that since and I bet Freeman won't either?

It wasn't a "mistake", Jason. 

It was a bad decision. One that cannot be repeated. We simply cannot risk doing anything remotely similar to this in the postseason. 

Don't call that a mistake. 

Understood.  I was agreeing with you, and contrasting what Pags did (nothing?) to what a good coach would do.

Do you think Ditka would have tolerated that stupidity?  Or Bill Parcells?  Or Tom Landry?  Or Vince Lombardi?  :thmup:

Ahhh, I see. I saw your post and said to myself....

4347725349_553bf63db1_z.jpg?zz=1

Parcells would've choked him out.