Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We need to hit FA for OLs

chad72

I am all for developing draft picks on the OL side but at this point in our season, if we need OL help, it has to come from free agency.

OL and DL are positions that take longer to develop draft picks.  Even in the offseason, we cannot ignore FA for OL.

Thoughts???

I am all for developing draft picks on the OL side but at this point in our season, if we need OL help, it has to come from free agency.

OL and DL are positions that take longer to develop draft picks.  Even in the offseason, we cannot ignore FA for OL.

Thoughts???

Are you talking about picking up some online help this season. If so I agree with that as well we are thin right now on the o-line with the injuries. 

Are you talking about picking up some online help this season. If so I agree with that as well we are thin right now on the o-line with the injuries. 

Yep, pretty much. I feel that if we try to run vs teams like the Patriots or Broncos, the results will be futile unless we employ 6 OL sets. We need to be able to do that on the road and our 5 OL sets will not get it done, IMO. We need help and we need it fast, so FA is the way to go.

Besides, it wouldn't hurt to look at a FA or two in the offseason as well if they fit what we want to do.

If Thornton, Nixon and Harrison are able to practice and play, I think we're fine. That's 8, plus Louis and McDonald. I'm assuming Reitz is done. But I don't think anyone is out there that's going to make a difference right now.

In the offseason, a depth acquisition would be nice. But I think the young guys are still the foundation.

If Thornton, Nixon and Harrison are able to practice and play, I think we're fine. That's 8, plus Louis and McDonald. I'm assuming Reitz is done. But I don't think anyone is out there that's going to make a difference right now.

In the offseason, a depth acquisition would be nice. But I think the young guys are still the foundation.

Agreed, although a body or two on the PS wouldn't hurt. Just in case.

Besides, at this time of the season would anyone worth having be out there? Richie.... never mind...

Agreed, although a body or two on the PS wouldn't hurt. Just in case.

Besides, at this time of the season would anyone worth having be out there? Richie.... never mind...

There are guys out there. The question is whether they are worth a roster spot for us, given the fact that we have at least three guys ahead of them already.

Practice squad? Yeah, juggle that all year long. But I don't think we're going to bring in anyone that suddenly makes us better.

Thoughts???

Totally agree. Even one solid addition would payoff greatly next season. 2 solid additions (one FA pick up and one draftee) would put us where we need to be.

I'll pass, FA pickups by Grigson have been absolutely disappointing

He's only hit on like 2

Walden

Redding

Bradshaw

Cherilus was good last year

Art Jones

Toler

Freeman

DQ has been alright

Mike Adams

Rogers was decent when he played

Cribbs

.....significantly more than 2

Personally, I'm very critical of Grigson's work.  But the holes on our team aren't because he isn't trying.  With Polian, he didn't really make a splash in free agency and didn't make many trades.  Grigson, on the other hand, is doing everything he can to bring in talent.  The guy looks everywhere for talent, including indoor leagues, the CFL, and other sources.  I'm not happy with every move he made (it's unrealistic to expect him to hit on 100% of his decisions, of course), but he's certainly trying.  A lot of things you can't blame on him.  Cherilus was good last year, but hasn't been good this year....that's Grigson's fault?  Walden wasn't anything spectacular last year (Grigson's fault), but he's played well this year, so Grigson should be vindicated?

Grigson is doing everything he can to bring in talent to the team.  Not every move has been a great success, and I'm very critical of him, but a lot of things aren't his fault.  To say he's only hit on like 2 free agents is a gross understatement.  Considering it was just a few years ago that we were a 2 win team, I'd say we're doing pretty well right now.

Walden

Redding

Bradshaw

Cherilus was good last year

Art Jones

Toler

Freeman

DQ has been alright

Mike Adams

Rogers was decent when he played

Cribbs

.....significantly more than 2

Personally, I'm very critical of Grigson's work. But the holes on our team aren't because he isn't trying. With Polian, he didn't really make a splash in free agency and didn't make many trades. Grigson, on the other hand, is doing everything he can to bring in talent. The guy looks everywhere for talent, including indoor leagues, the CFL, and other sources. I'm not happy with every move he made (it's unrealistic to expect him to hit on 100% of his decisions, of course), but he's certainly trying. A lot of things you can't blame on him. Cherilus was good last year, but hasn't been good this year....that's Grigson's fault? Walden wasn't anything spectacular last year (Grigson's fault), but he's played well this year, so Grigson should be vindicated?

Grigson is doing everything he can to bring in talent to the team. Not every move has been a great success, and I'm very critical of him, but a lot of things aren't his fault. To say he's only hit on like 2 free agents is a gross understatement. Considering it was just a few years ago that we were a 2 win team, I'd say we're doing pretty well right now.

:sigh:

It was a sarcastic comment

And take Cherilus off that list

Cherilus

Landry

DHB

Nicks

Lance Louis

He's hit where it matters most, but I'd rather build through the draft. Signing big FA is when you're a few pieces away like Denver & NE were

We need to plan for the future cause we got a looooonnnnnnggggg way to go before we're a serious threat

We're a threat now cause of the resiliency... Or "Grit" as Pagano calls it

But at the end of the day, we're our own worst enemy

The inconsistency we have

Lack of discipline

The slow starts

Can't run with the Elite teams playing the way we do

LT Castanzo is good LG mewhort looks good C Harrison is who they like really only need an upgrade at RG and RT possibly not RG if Holmes keeps lookin good

I can see Harrison being the future possibly but right now, he's not ready. Not from a physical standpoint, but a reading defenses and blitzes standpoint.

Cherilus

Landry

DHB

Nicks

Lance Louis

He's hit where it matters most, but I'd rather build through the draft. Signing big FA is when you're a few pieces away like Denver & NE were

We need to plan for the future cause we got a looooonnnnnnggggg way to go before we're a serious threat

Lack of discipline

The slow starts

it wasnt sarcasm, we all know how you love to use the emoticons. You would have certainly used a dozen or so if it was sarcasm

Cherilus

Landry

DHB

Nicks

Lance Louis

Lack of discipline

The slow starts

I agree with the last part. I put that on the coaching staff though. Game planning has sucked since Pags got here. Don't get me wrong, I like Chuck but I'm a little disappointed in him at the same time. He's too attached to letting guys work thru their issues. Plain and simple, if a guy a working out during the games on a routine basis, bench him. Not 6 games later

what are some possibilities at RT anyway? Also when can we release Gosder without really hurting the team?

You mean RT adds right now? Or in the offseason?

Technically, we could release Gosder after this season. It would cost us $1.8m in extra cap space in 2015, but would save $6m cash, and the cap savings moving forward would more than offset the loss in 2015. The question is about his replacement.

Technically, we could release Gosder after this season. It would cost us $1.8m in extra cap space in 2015, but would save $6m cash, and the cap savings moving forward would more than offset the loss in 2015. The question is about his replacement.

Who do we get thats better?

Cherilus

Landry

DHB

Nicks

Lance Louis

Lack of discipline

The slow starts

DHB, Nicks, etc ... Those were low risk high reward "prove it" "lottery tickets" ... If they worked out great, if not we cut them after season, no big loss

Your satement about only signing FAs when you are couple pieces away is completely false ... you need to maintian a good balance and adjust depending on needs and circumstances.

That's the thing.  I don't think dumping Cherilus is smart because then we have to replace him.  I believe he is just having a bad year!  He has been banged up for most of the season.  Of course he is overpaid in regards to the production he's put out, but to say we can find someone noticeably better after cutting him (with the cap hit) and keeping that players salary down, won't be easy.  Chances are we would be worse off.  When he is at his best, he is a big asset to the team.  I may be wrong but I believe a lot of the problem belongs to coaching and inexperience.  Castonzo and Cherilus are the only 2 players with a decent amount of experience on the line, and the interior is going to take time, unless we decide to bring in a bunch of veterans, which I just don't see happening.  Thomas being out 2 years running has hurt us the more than anything!

I meant after the season nothing much better out there right now

Thoughts???

Unless someone has stolen your handle....you're a guy that knows that there is nobody on the street in week 15 that can improve our O-line situation this season, so I'm going to assume you are talking about next season....

Free agents are merely rookies with more of their failures behind them (you hope).  With Mewhort and Harrison in year 2, and Holmes, Thornton and Nixon in year 3, they start to look more and more like another team's free agents as they progress.  There is no lack of talent in that group, and no reason to think that Grigs would bring in any interior OL free agents likely to start over that group.  

Tackle is a tough decision.  As of today, I waffle between cutting Cherilus and saving the incremental cost of $4M (absorbing the cap hit over and above his projected cap) and giving him one more year.  $4M is not that bad for an average starter at RT and that is what his true cost will be next year.  That likely depends on how much of a direct linkage the staff feels like there is between his health and performance - and the likelihood that he'll be back to 2013 standards by next year. 

If we cut Cherilus, I'd like to see a competent FA tackle signed - but not at a starter's contract like we did Cherilus - then draft a Tackle to compete for the role.  Same thing makes sense if we keep Cherilus - Cherilus simply becomes what we hope is the competent FA to compete for the role while we develop the rookie.

Nobody wants to hear this right now, but free agency isn't really the answer for the O-line we all want.  Talent and coaching are, and we have enough talent to keep drafting talent.  I hope we have the right OL coaches, though we have no evidence yet of that - and I suspect they'll get enough time to prove it as we stay the course.  Let's not forget that Pags swapped out the special teams coach after 1 year to get what he really wanted, so he'll make changes and probably knows what he wants.