Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reggie Seems to be Contemplating Retirement

John Waylon

Reggie Wayne & Marvin Harrison & Edgerrin James & Peyton Manning watching these Gentlemen play for my COLTS was awesome so many good memories & heart-aches over the years - Preceded by Captain Comeback Jim "1 pass from the SB " Harbaugh .

Reggie's departure will be the end of an era that has built a great foundation for the future & Reggie has a big part in that he has brought joy & pride & class to this city & state I would love to see him make it to 1 more SB .

xxx-16_latecolts.jpg?w=1200

I think it will be close on the HOF vote

Especially the first time

Love the guy, but as Colts fans, we are going to lean toward him.

Unfortunately I didnt get my absentee ballot for HOF in the mail yet  :)

Are there top recievers on teams that their teams won more SBs? there are many folks in that line

(Including Marvin)

i hope he gets it

I think it will be close on the HOF vote

Especially the first time

Love the guy, but as Colts fans, we are going to lean toward him.

Unfortunately I didnt get my absentee ballot for HOF in the mail yet  :)

Are there top recievers on teams that their teams won more SBs? there are many folks in that line

(Including Marvin)

i hope he gets it

if Marvin didn't go in on the first vote Reggie won't but Reggie will go in sooner or later. Reggie's numbers are a Hall of Famers numbers it just might take a little while.

I think he might come back for one more year. He is less than 50 receptions away from breaking Marvin's record and putting himself in 3rd all time on the reception list. Plus we should be very legitimate SB contenders next year.

Reggie, IMO, is a HOFer, but having one more 50+ catch season will make him cemented and probably a first-ballot.

I am starting to think that elbow injury may have hurt him more than we think -- he came down on his elbow, but I am sure that did some impact on the shoulder and back as well. He definitely has seemed a little slower after that happened.

if Marv wasn't a 1st ballot guy, Reggie sure won't be

I think that this year is it for Reggie.  I think next year he would be the #3 WR on this team.  My guess is that Grigson has to look at another WR on the roster in 2015. Is it a young guy or veteran?  A vet might push Reggie to #4.  I don't want to watch Pagano prop Reggie up out of respect for his legacy.  I think for Reggie to allow himself to return, he has to feel that another year removed from surgery is going to help his speed and agility.  I really want to see Reggie go out on top!

It's probably time for him to retire.  He might have a little left in the tank but it's not much.  

I can't imagine if he came back for another year that he'd get much more then 500 receiving yards.  He's probably only be our #3 WR.  

Hilton's clearly surpassed him and Moncrief has played so well that you would think that next year he'd clearly surpass him as well.  

If he wants to come back for another year, I'm ok with giving him a small 1 year deal.  But I don't think he'd be anything more then our #3 WR.  So it's probably the best time for him to hang it up.  

if Marv wasn't a 1st ballot guy, Reggie sure won't be

Not necessarily.  I, personally, think Marv (in his prime) was better than Reggie ever was.  I thought it was a shame that Marv didn't make it first ballot, and thought it was flat out wrong.  Although Marv had the best stretch of 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10 regular seasons in NFL history for a WR, he never had big play off numbers -- and while off-field stuff isn't supposed to affect voters choices, I do not think Marv's off-field woes after he retired could have sat well with all voters.

If Reggie has 43 more receptions, he moves past Marv on the all-time list.  If he has 379 more receiving yards, he moves past Marv in that category.  He is less than 800 yards from joining the 15,000 yard club (this is very possible -- if he averages 30 yards/game for the next 4 of this season, he'd need to only average 42-43 yards/game next season to accomplish this).  He is 3 TDs away from being top 15 all time in receiving TDs.

Reggie has had one of the most impressive post-seasons of any WR in history though, which could separate him from Marv.  Reggie is 1 TD away in playoffs for being tied 3rd all time and 3 away from being 2nd all time (no one is catching Rice).  He is 47 playoff yards away from becoming 3rd all time, and 73 away from 2nd all time (again, no one is catching Rice).  Reggie is currently 2nd in NFL history in playoff receptions and is only 8 away from becoming the 2nd ever to have 100 or more post-season receptions (again, no one is catching Rice). 

Reggie also holds NFL record for consecutive multi-catch games and games with 3 or more receptions.

Additionally, Reggie has never had any off-field issues, has been much more media-friendly than Marv, and may get some voter praise because of that.  Wayne's 189 consecutive games played (before his knee last year) are 3rd all time among WRs.  Wayne also may get some additional credit in that he had a good season with Kerry Collins/Dan Orvolsky/Curtis Painter and gang and an excellent season with a rookie QB in Andrew Luck (Marv had a couple decent seasons with Harbaugh and a lot of very good seasons with Manning, which can be used as a knock on a WR -- 'he is only the product of a great QB').  Wayne has a very good possibility of moving up some of the all-time charts by the end of this season, and if he comes back and plays one more he will have surpassed Marv in every WR category except TDs.  Plus, we have a shot at winning a super bowl this year and maybe even a better shot next year -- another ring on his finger cannot hurt his chances.

If I were Irsay / Grigson, I wouldn't make it easy on Reggie to retire. I'd get to offering a 2-year contract, pronto .... And in consideration of him having taken a home discount in his last contract, I'd be sure to pay slightly more than what his current market value for his expected role moving forward might be. I would very much want Reggie to have a shot of being around to hoist the hardware with Luck for a new era SB victory.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, December 7, 2014 - baiting
Hidden by Nadine, December 7, 2014 - baiting

If I were Irsay / Grigson, I wouldn't make it easy on Reggie to retire. I'd get to offering a 2-year contract, pronto .... And in consideration of him having taken a home discount in his last contract, I'd be sure to pay slightly more than what his current market value for his expected role moving forward might be. I would very much want Reggie to have a shot of being around to hoist the hardware with Luck for a new era SB victory.

im glad you aren't them

I think he will retire, not a 1st ballot HOF but will eventually make it. The WR's next year will be Hilton, Moncrief, Duron Carter, and Whalen.

I think we'll be looking for a veteran affordable free agent to sign....

I suspect Carter replaces Nicks,  and the FA fills the Wayne spot.

TYH and Moncrief would be our 1-2 WR's.

Of course,  this all presumes that Reggie retires.....   which I'd peg right now at 50-50 or perhaps 60-40 that he returns....

Reggie's earned the right to walk away from the NFL on his own timetable. He's a 1st ballot HOF yellow jacket shoe in easy. I'd hate to see Wayne depart before going to another SB with Luck this time around, but that's not my decision to make. #87 is the epitome of relentlessness, perseverance, humility, & Championship character. You will be deeply missed, but I respect whatever your final decision is in the end at the close of this season. 

"I think much of this has to do with his desire to spend more time with his family, especially his kids." --jmac_48. 

That's entirely possible, but too much time at home with nothing else to do is no picnic either given enough time off. I suppose Wayne could land a TV NFL analyst gig if he's ready to hang up his cleats for good. 

Whatever you decide to do Reggie, take your time & don't be rash about it. Darn man, this one's gonna hurt as much as Peyton leaving. I know it's coming, but it's still gonna be excruciatingly painful when it happens...

SW1....

I don't know if you looked through the rest of this thread after posting,  but what I'm about to write is not new.    I'm not the first to say it.    But I didn't see anyone respond to you directly,  so I thought I would.

I think Reggie will someday make the HoF.    But I think there's little chance he's a first ballot guy.    Just too many great Wide Receivers who had to wait a number of years or are still waiting.    Heck,  even Marvin Harrison is still waiting and he's been waiting for years.    Cris Carter waited for years.    So did Tim Brown (or is he still waiting?)   and how about Andre Reed?

With the passing rules relaxed,  too many WR's are posting great numbers.   Which means lots of competition for HoF votes.

Reggie will get in,  but I suspect he's going to have to wait a number of years.   No slight to him,  just the reality of things....

I didn't expect the drop off to be this hard. He started off the season ok and I figured he'd be serviceable this year and in to next maybe...but it's not looking good.

Receivers do tend to hit the wall harder than most. It happened to Marvin, too. 1 more year tops.

Yea I remember when Marvin was out for an extended period of time. On the very first reception after he returned, he fumbled it. I think at that point, everyone -- the fans, the coaching staff, and the players -- knew he was done.

Yea I remember when Marvin was out for an extended period of time. On the very first reception after he returned, he fumbled it. I think at that point, everyone -- the fans, the coaching staff, and the players -- knew he was done.

Second playoff game against the Chargers...yeah...it was tough to watch.

Second playoff game against the Chargers...yeah...it was tough to watch.

I also remember him and the analysts commenting on how slow he was. Marvin's specialty was in crisp route running, but when your speed takes a hit, and you can't make your cuts like you used to, what are you left with if that's your specialty?

when he catches the ball (if he catches it), he does this immediate dive thing , I mean he has always known when to dive to avoid a hit but man, it's now hard to watch him want to avoid contact like the plague.  It's sad, really is.  Fully healthy, he can be a 4th wide-out, that's it.