Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Changes Coming?

Manning1887

In light of last night's debacle, I can't help but wonder what changes/tweaks the team might implement going forward. Perhaps we end up sticking to the same old routine with no changes and end up with 10 or 11 wins and a first round exit. Maybe, we tinker around a little and try to patch up some deficiencies in house.

A couple of thoughts struck me: 

1.) Start AQ Shipley at center. I am not sure how Harrison graded out last night, but he did cost us 5 yards by forgetting to snap the ball early in the game. He clearly wasn't helping in the run game. He seemed to do a nice job pass blocking, but the Patriots did get pressure up the middle (although some of that could be attributed to missed blitz pick-ups by our running backs). 

2.) Start Dan Herron at running back. Bradshaw's injury will be interesting because it will lead to some increased carries/touches for Herron. If Herron proves to be more effective than Richardson, will the team finally move on from their mistake? I have liked what I have seen from Herron in limited action. He runs hard, somewhat reminiscent of Donald Brown. 

3.) Increase Jonathan Newsome's snaps. This guy seems to be the only player on the team capable of generating consistent pressure. I don't recall seeing Werner getting anywhere close to Brady last night. Walden had some moments, but was always a second or two late. Studabaker seems like more of a "force" against the run. Newsome has his deficiencies, but getting him some increased playing time will allow us to see what kind of future he has with this team. Let him learn more on the job. Perhaps we don't need to spend a high draft pick on a pass rusher if he is capable of stepping up and being the man going forward. 

4.) Consider playing Darius Butler at safety. Our safety play has been erratic and borderline disastrous at times this season. Laron Landry was a no-show last night. Sergio Brown has had his moments. Mike Adams has been our most consistent performer. He had a couple of picks last night, but he didn't do much to slow the run game down. Some of this is based on giving Lou Purifoy a chance to shine as the nickel corner. Let's see what he has to offer. 

5.) Play Donte Moncrief more. Notwithstanding a great td catch from Hakeem Nicks, he was an absolute non-factor. Moncrief is part of the future at WR for us, might as well give him more snaps as the #3. He has shown he is more than capable, and he would have had a huge td catch last night had Luck not overthrown him. 

A couple of final thoughts. 

• I would rest Arthur Jones for the next two weeks. Let that ankle heal more before facing Cleveland. 
  • I would consider resting Cherilus for the next two weeks as well. He had a couple of notable whiffs run blocking, although he was very solid in pass protection. 

These are just a couple of thoughts, mostly based on frustration from last night. Feel free to rip them apart or add your own thoughts on tweaks we could make. 

1) Harrison did play like garbage, but the coaches love him. I hope we haven't seen his ceiling. 

2) Herron will play, just not start. 

3) Agreed. We need all the help we can get on our pass rush. 

4) No. Butler is great in the slot. He's not great on the outside, and we don't need him getting hurt playing safety. <- which I don't believe he would be good at anyways. LaRoid sucks, but he'll get reps at safety. Safety should've been addressed a LOOOOOOOONNNNNGGGG time ago yet we did nothing. Now here we are. 

5) Moncreif > Nicks. Everyone knows that in the entire stadium except for the coaches. I don't get it. 

Nothing's gonna change if nothing was changed over the Bye Week

Nothing more than an AFC SOUTH threat and even that is in jeopardy. I believe the Texans get their first win in the Oil Drum this season IF Mallet is anything or better than he was yesterday

And then also if Clowney finally gets his life together.

Bunch of if's but the Texans really aren't that far from taking the division as people think they are

And gotta love the post loss over reactions that happen literally after every loss.

I wouldn't say my thoughts are an overreaction as much as commenting on what I have seen thus far this season. I think when you get dominated at home by the Patriots (Super Bowl contender), embarrassed on the road by the Steelers (playoff contender), and really only seem to dominate the bottom rung of the league, you are justified in assessing where the roster might be upgraded. Not an overreaction at all if there are some changes, perhaps minor changes, that could be made that could enhance the team. 

SPECIAL NOTE: I love the term "LaRoid". I am going to use that going forward. Nicely done

In light of last night's debacle, I can't help but wonder what changes/tweaks the team might implement going forward. Perhaps we end up sticking to the same old routine with no changes and end up with 10 or 11 wins and a first round exit. Maybe, we tinker around a little and try to patch up some deficiencies in house.

1.) Start AQ Shipley at center. I am not sure how Harrison graded out last night, but he did cost us 5 yards by forgetting to snap the ball early in the game. He clearly wasn't helping in the run game. He seemed to do a nice job pass blocking, but the Patriots did get pressure up the middle (although some of that could be attributed to missed blitz pick-ups by our running backs). 

2.) Start Dan Herron at running back. Bradshaw's injury will be interesting because it will lead to some increased carries/touches for Herron. If Herron proves to be more effective than Richardson, will the team finally move on from their mistake? I have liked what I have seen from Herron in limited action. He runs hard, somewhat reminiscent of Donald Brown. 

3.) Increase Jonathan Newsome's snaps. This guy seems to be the only player on the team capable of generating consistent pressure. I don't recall seeing Werner getting anywhere close to Brady last night. Walden had some moments, but was always a second or two late. Studabaker seems like more of a "force" against the run. Newsome has his deficiencies, but getting him some increased playing time will allow us to see what kind of future he has with this team. Let him learn more on the job. Perhaps we don't need to spend a high draft pick on a pass rusher if he is capable of stepping up and being the man going forward. 

4.) Consider playing Darius Butler at safety. Our safety play has been erratic and borderline disastrous at times this season. Laron Landry was a no-show last night. Sergio Brown has had his moments. Mike Adams has been our most consistent performer. He had a couple of picks last night, but he didn't do much to slow the run game down. Some of this is based on giving Lou Purifoy a chance to shine as the nickel corner. Let's see what he has to offer. 

5.) Play Donte Moncrief more. Notwithstanding a great td catch from Hakeem Nicks, he was an absolute non-factor. Moncrief is part of the future at WR for us, might as well give him more snaps as the #3. He has shown he is more than capable, and he would have had a huge td catch last night had Luck not overthrown him. 

• I would rest Arthur Jones for the next two weeks. Let that ankle heal more before facing Cleveland. 
  • I would consider resting Cherilus for the next two weeks as well. He had a couple of notable whiffs run blocking, although he was very solid in pass protection. 

These are just a couple of thoughts, mostly based on frustration from last night. Feel free to rip them apart or add your own thoughts on tweaks we could make. 

I'm not going to disagree with your points. I think that the pass protection last night was better than what I saw earlier in the season. The run blocking was very bad(obviously). Without Bradshaw now our run game could be non existent.

I will go as far as to say that even without a run game we still could have been in that game if the defense was anywhere close to being average at stopping the run.

We need a stud player on each level of the defense. One at DT, one at ILB and one at S. I like freeman but he is so small he looks like a safety up there. Getting Art Jones back will help up front. I agree that Newsome needs to play more.

Grigson needs to realize that the safety position is in terrible shape. We have to get a stud safety in the draft or FA.

I'm yet to understand why Shipley was benched. The line went from okay to not good just as soon as he was benched for Harrison - who isn't impressive in the least. 

I kind of thought that an obvious adjustment last night  was bringing Landry in against the run, but we didn't see that.

I dont want to be the guy who bangs on the coaches (because it's difficult to know just what's on them or on the players- at least for me, a non mind reader), but I wasn't impressed with them yesterday.

I'm yet to understand why Shipley was benched. The line went from okay to not good just as soon as he was benched for Harrison - who isn't impressive in the least. 

I kind of thought that an obvious adjustment last night  was bringing Landry in against the run, but we didn't see that.

I dont want to be the guy who bangs on the coaches (because it's difficult to know just what's on them or on the players- at least for me, a non mind reader), but I wasn't impressed with them yesterday.

I love your viewpoint here Fish.  The one thing I have learned over the years is that the gray hoodie mades a lot of coaches look bad.  Pagano, Pep, and Manusky are not the first, and by all means we know they will not be the last.  Jim Caldwell gets him next Sunday.

I believe I've seen this before. Same thing happened last season. We win consecutive games and people think we're super bowl contenders. Lose a big game and people think the sky is falling and we won't win the division. Then we go on another run that gets people thinking we can win the super bowl.

I believe I've seen this before. Same thing happened last season. We win consecutive games and people think we're super bowl contenders. Lose a big game and people think the sky is falling and we won't win the division. Then we go on another run that gets people thinking we can win the super bowl.

Exactly......^^^^^^^^^ :thmup:

5.) Play Donte Moncrief more. Notwithstanding a great td catch from Hakeem Nicks, he was an absolute non-factor. Moncrief is part of the future at WR for us, might as well give him more snaps as the #3. He has shown he is more than capable, and he would have had a huge td catch last night had Luck not overthrown him.

I agree with shipley and newsome.. werner is slow and has no strength to get a good push.. ive said it all year.. as for moncrief.. he has had plenty of chances to show he is better.. he averages 24 snaps a game. And he only has 17 catches on the year.. close to 200 snaps.. so he isnt making a good case for himself.

The problem isn't losing, it is how we are losing. Our D looked absolutely horrendous against the Pats, Steelers, Eagles, and Broncos. Those teams moved the ball at will against us. We are a playoff team, just not a Super Bowl contender. The point is to consider what adjustments/changes can be made to help us play better. 

I'm not sure how much we can improve it now for this season, but we have got to get better in the running game. I don't know how much blame to lay where, but the results last night were pathetic.

VERY true! I really don't know if the problem is the offensive line, the running backs, or both.

As much as Trent Richardson takes the brunt of the blame, there are times when he is swarmed as soon as he touches the football. I am not sure Adrian Peterson could run well behind our line at times. Last night, I recall Cherilus whiffing badly on a run block that led to a loss. Mewhort missed badly on the run play that ultimately led to Bradshaw's injury. There were missed blocks all over the place last night. The pass blocking was good, run blocking not so much. 

However, when there did appear to be a little room to run, Trent did nothing. Trent Richardson was an absolute non-factor last night. Bradshaw was not much better. 

Maybe the Patriots defense is just that good. 

coaching has to change in my opinion. we are fighting the same problems year over year. I'm frustrated because it seems we play good and then always have setback games. We always look unprepared going into games or are unable to adjust. After Bradys second interception I thought that was a change of momentum. After halftime Colts played the same garbage as before unable to do anything to stop the Pats like the Steelers game.

Nothing more than an AFC SOUTH threat and even that is in jeopardy. I believe the Texans get their first win in the Oil Drum this season IF Mallet is anything or better than he was yesterday

Bunch of if's but the Texans really aren't that far from taking the division as people think they are

Don't forget to remind us Fleener is soft......

I still think we should have Drafted RG3, he's just not doing good because the Skins are stinky. Luck ain't that good.

Ok forum friends, colleagues, countrymen. neighbors and enemies from other worlds.  This is the "official" ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this is not Brentmc11 post.....this has to be an alien from somewhere unknown.  I might have to change my name after this absurd post  :lol:   I am laughing hysterically.  WOW~~~ :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:

Jonathan Harrison graded out 25th out of the 27 Centers that played yesterday. He graded out at a negative -2.9.

Here are his grades from Pro Football Focus. I realize some people on here seem to think PFF is not a credible organization but the fact is that most of your pro bowl and all pro players at each position are usually ranked in the first several places at the end of the year. I think their grades have proven quite accurate over the years and they continue to improve their system. Of course, it is not perfect, but I like the grading system.

Week 11 Center Grades

Name                 Team        Snaps   Overall   Pass        Screen     Run        Pen      # Pen    QB QB QB

Block      Block      Block                              SK HT HU

Jonathan Harrison     IND            58         -2.9       -2.4             0.0         -0.6        1          0-0        0    1     2

I know firing Pagano would be crazy even if the Colts have a winning record but loses in the playoffs in the 1st round. What if the Colts hired Jim Harbaugh? He would have excellent chemistry with Luck right off the bat since he was his coach at Stanford. Maybe implement a trade between head coaches that way everyone wins. Colts and 49ers would both have winning head coaches. 

head coach Bill O'Brien said of Mallett. "He grew up playing football since he was a little kid. He understands football and he understands the system. It’s only one game and I’m sure there are some mistakes that we have to correct, but it’s a good start for him.”

guy first nfl start he won .

Ok forum friends,  This is the "official" ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this is not Brentmc11 post.....this has to be an alien from somewhere unknown.  I might have to change my name after this absurd post  :lol:   I am laughing hysterically.  WOW~~~ :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:

BrentMc11 is my Son. He doesn't like to acknowledge it because we don't agree on most Topics when it comes to Football.