Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Adam Schefter Predicts Trade

BProland85

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=7297948

Give this a listen. Schefter goes into the Colts QB situation and predicts they will look for suitors for Manning in the offseason. He states there should be a number of teams that will be interested, even with his age and salary. I just wonder what we could get for him.

If we could get at least a 1st round pick, and give Luck some more talent with those picks acquired from the Manning trade, then Im all for it. Look, I know a lot of us want to have both Luck and Manning on the roster so that Luck can be tutored like Rodgers. This is NOT the same situation as that. Luck is much more NFL ready than Rodgers.

If we can get another potentially great player to help out Luck through the 2012 draft aka Matt Kalil, Justin Blackmon, or get a defensive playmaker like Morris Claiborne, why not do this?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I normally like Schefter, but this isn't a trade prediction: it's a shopping prediction. He also predicted we would try to trade Wayne and Mathis before the trade deadline.

He didn't predict that. He said it would be a logical move to trade both of them in his opinion but he also said that it wouldn't happen. I watched that segment.

I normally like Schefter, but this isn't a trade prediction: it's a shopping prediction. He also predicted we would try to trade Wayne and Mathis before the trade deadline.

My first instinct was that I'll be really surprised if they even shop Peyton.

Then again..... the other 2 triplets didn't exactly get a royal send-off.

I dont get it, if Pm is healthy enough that another team would ttrade a 1st rounder(so im assumming he would get 100%)...Why on earth are we talking about trading him? i mean seriously, whats with that? not only has he given everything to this franchise now we talk about getting rid of him? i get it luck is the new cool thing but you are talking about a legend who hasnt, as of now, lost a step...why get rid of him?

again, all that goes to the drain if he is not healthy....but then why would a team trade for him?

What i think could be a possible option is the Jets going for Manning. We all know what Rex Ryan thinks of Manning and he is beggining to realize that Sanchez is not the QB to lead his team to the Superbowl. He would obviously have to trade Mark Sanchez since they won't invest all that money in the QB position. I just think a team that is somewhat close to a superbowl would be the ones interested in Manning compared to a team that has to rebuild. I'm not saying this is a very likely scenario but just an interesting one.

Wait wait wait, haven't we had multiple threads saying the Colts won't trade PM or can't trade PM...?

Sure we have.... its just not accurate. Apparently there is a 3-5 day window in February when he can be traded.

Whether we do or not? Who knows.... but I have serious doubts unless some knucklehead owner comes to us with a sick compensation package.

What i think could be a possible option is the Jets going for Manning. We all know what Rex Ryan thinks of Manning and he is beggining to realize that Sanchez is not the QB to lead his team to the Superbowl. He would obviously have to trade Mark Sanchez since they won't invest all that money in the QB position. I just think a team that is somewhat close to a superbowl would be the ones interested in Manning compared to a team that has to rebuild. I'm not saying this is a very likely scenario but just an interesting one.

I think it would a fabulous landing spot for him and I'd love to see him there.

I'd really like to see him win a few championships and carrying this shell of a team is not going to get them for him

I'd really like to see him win a few championships and carrying this shell of a team is not going to get them for him

You're right about the Jets.... and other than his wife's feet I don't think anything gets Rex as excited as having Peyton as his QB.

And Peyton and Eli both in NY? The NFL would love it.

I dont get it, if Pm is healthy enough that another team would ttrade a 1st rounder(so im assumming he would get 100%)...Why on earth are we talking about trading him? i mean seriously, whats with that? not only has he given everything to this franchise now we talk about getting rid of him? i get it luck is the new cool thing but you are talking about a legend who hasnt, as of now, lost a step...why get rid of him?

again, all that goes to the drain if he is not healthy....but then why would a team trade for him?

Simple, there isn't much gas left in the tank for Peyton. He is looking at maybe 3 at best 4 years left playing wise. If we can get a younger replacement and add pieces around him then you are set for the next 7-10 years easily.

I personally would rather peyton stay on this team, but no doubt andrew luck is what every team in the top 5 wants... and seeing that he isnt gonna be expensive IF the colts trade or release peyton then its all good with me assuming they have money to make some moves in the draft and FA.

Even though Polian has already said Manning will be back

IF he ends up somewhere else its going to be the Jets. .they are the most super bowl ready team w/o a good QB

I disagree. I think the SF 49'ers would be the best place for Manning. It would be out of conference and that team has everthing they need but a good QB and maybe one more receiver. Given Snyder's propensity for overbuying, Washington may be the better deal for our FO though.

I think it (NYJ) would a fabulous landing spot for him and I'd love to see him there.

Careful, some of us still think of the Jets as division rivals...and therefore still hate them. Peyton on the Jets would mean I would have to root for a team I hate. :/

http://espn.go.com/e...play?id=7297948

Give this a listen. Schefter goes into the Colts QB situation and predicts they will look for suitors for Manning in the offseason. He states there should be a number of teams that will be interested, even with his age and salary. I just wonder what we could get for him.

If we could get at least a 1st round pick, and give Luck some more talent with those picks acquired from the Manning trade, then Im all for it. Look, I know a lot of us want to have both Luck and Manning on the roster so that Luck can be tutored like Rodgers. This is NOT the same situation as that. Luck is much more NFL ready than Rodgers.

If we can get another potentially great player to help out Luck through the 2012 draft aka Matt Kalil, Justin Blackmon, or get a defensive playmaker like Morris Claiborne, why not do this?

Says who? If we can get value I am ok with trading Manning. I dont like it, but I understand the future of the team is most critical. But how do you know that Luck is more ready to go than Rodgers? For all we know Luck could Suck and Suck for Luck would be a huge mistake. Im not convinced that the Colts wouldnt be better off trading the #1 pick to get somewhere in the #3-5 range and draft Barkley and get more picks. Then compile that with whatever you can get for Manning. Maybe you can get the #3 pick this year and the first round pick next year for #1 this year.

If Manning is healthy and stays in Indy, the Colts are maybe 8-8 next season. He's a huge difference maker, no doubting that, but he's not going to take a team still looking for a win in week 13 this year and bring them to the playoffs 12 months later.

More importantly, and as you guys are aware, Indy needs to fix their offensive line. Assuming he's healthy, is Manning going to want to take a beating week in and week out, regardless of whether the team wins or loses? Would he hold up under those circumstances? We all saw what a struggle that was in 2010, even for a QB of Manning's ilk and talent, and it can't be fun as a football player who is accustomed to success to be tossed around every Sunday like a rag doll.

Where I'm going with all of this is that a trade scenario is certainly not unlikely. I'm sure Manning is like a god to the Irsays and to Polian, but when #18 does eventually retire, they still have a team to run, and they're going to want to make money. This is a rare opportunity to trade a player who can possibly give you the resources you need to build a foundation aimed at long-term success. If the Cowboys hadn't traded Hershel Walker for a boatload of picks, there's no Dallas Dynasty in the early 90s. And I'm sure the same conversations took place back then.

I will be happy to see Manning traded since it will be extremely painful to have him struggling with this winless team in the last couple of years of his career. Even as great as he is, he will have tons of difficulties to lead the team to the playoff again in this division due to the rising of the Texans, and the AFC wildcard spots will require even more wins than the AFC south title. If Colts miss the chance to take Luck and trade Manning for valuable picks, the rebuilding after Manning retires will take much longer.

I just hope they trade him to a decent team that can compete for titles. If they trade him to the Jets he could end his career with two more SB rings, which would be a nice compensation for his lone-ring Colts career of 13 years.

If Manning is healthy and stays in Indy, the Colts are maybe 8-8 next season. He's a huge difference maker, no doubting that, but he's not going to take a team still looking for a win in week 13 this year and bring them to the playoffs 12 months later.

More importantly, and as you guys are aware, Indy needs to fix their offensive line. Assuming he's healthy, is Manning going to want to take a beating week in and week out, regardless of whether the team wins or loses? Would he hold up under those circumstances? We all saw what a struggle that was in 2010, even for a QB of Manning's ilk and talent, and it can't be fun as a football player who is accustomed to success to be tossed around every Sunday like a rag doll.

Where I'm going with all of this is that a trade scenario is certainly not unlikely. I'm sure Manning is like a god to the Irsays and to Polian, but when #18 does eventually retire, they still have a team to run, and they're going to want to make money. This is a rare opportunity to trade a player who can possibly give you the resources you need to build a foundation aimed at long-term success. If the Cowboys hadn't traded Hershel Walker for a boatload of picks, there's no Dallas Dynasty in the early 90s. And I'm sure the same conversations took place back then.

This logic also works in reverse and has a proven track record. With Peyton 10 wins easy no doubt.

Cannot agree more. Most of us Colts fans are just too emotional on the trading, which is understandable. But this is professional football and they run teams as business. If the management do not see the future of the team, they will end up regretting for decisions not based on reasoning and get punished by losing their jobs. Fans may be calling for Bill Pollian's head once Manning gets traded, but to all our fans this day could come sooner than we expected.

So, who are you rooting for?! Based on your comment you're a Manning fan and thus can't be called a COLTS fan. I'm a Manning fan too, but I won't root for him to win a SB ring for someone else than the colts!

On topic: I don't get all the trade Manning posts - he's most likely the best QB in NFL history every, why oh why would you ever trade someone like that if he's healthy?! If his healthy we keep him, if his too worn down with his neck issues he'll retire.

So, who are you rooting for?! Based on your comment you're a Manning fan and thus can't be called a COLTS fan. I'm a Manning fan too, but I won't root for him to win a SB ring for someone else than the colts!

On topic: I don't get all the trade Manning posts - he's most likely the best QB in NFL history every, why oh why would you ever trade someone like that if he's healthy?! If his healthy we keep him, if his too worn down with his neck issues he'll retire.

Colts owe the man at least a couple of SB rings he well deserves. Think about it, he had his best 13 years here and we wasted how many opportunities? This year just answers why Peyton Manning always falls short: His team is winless without him. No wonder they always find ways to lose - defense melt down, pass protection broken apart, running game not being able to pick up 1 yard, special team give up half a field with 1min left...

You keep him here, he will end his career having only 1 ring and carrying the title "choke artist" at the age of 38. Don't be such selfish to keep him.

I really don't see Manning being traded. The more this goes on, the more I expect them to coexist for a few years. it is clear in this league that you cannot have just one QB. Ok, so lets say the Colts trade away Manning and put Luck as the new starter. He likely won't do well at first. But what if, by some chance, he gets hurts? Then who plays? Curtis Painter? Someone picked up as a free agent? We are back to where we are now. Same thing if we kept Manning and traded away the Luck pick.

I expect the Colts to draft Luck and carry both for 2-3 years. That way, if Manning gets hurt, Luck is there to play and eventually takes over. To me, it makes the most sense.

IMHO, I disagree. I think had Manning played this year, they are a playoff team and will be next year if he plays as well. As was pointed out in a previous post, this is essentially the same team that made the Super Bowl two years back. In fact, in some ways it is better. The running attack is better and the offensive line is better. Now, the cornerback position is weaker.

Now, saying that, I think if Luck is the QB next year, they are a 4-12 team. So if we go with Luck and get rid of Manning, I would expect to Suck With Luck for awhile.