Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Adam Schefter Predicts Trade

BProland85

False.

The Jets have zero cap room for a contract like Peyton's, even if it were a lot lower.

Certainly not through a trade but Sanchez is their biggest cap hit, if they get Manning they surely won't hang onto Sanchez freeing up a lot of room

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Colts owe the man at least a couple of SB rings he well deserves. Think about it, he had his best 13 years here and we wasted how many opportunities? This year just answers why Peyton Manning always falls short: His team is winless without him. No wonder they always find ways to lose - defense melt down, pass protection broken apart, running game not being able to pick up 1 yard, special team give up half a field with 1min left...

You keep him here, he will end his career having only 1 ring and carrying the title "choke artist" at the age of 38. Don't be such selfish to keep him.

again my point stands :) If you want the colts to win you keep Manning - I for one don't wish to see him tear apart our sloppy tampa 2 defense for some other team!

I think had Manning played this year, they are a playoff team and will be next year if he plays as well.

Perhaps... we're all speculating I guess. If the Colts had a capable backup we'd probably have a clearer picture of how things would have been this year with #18 at the helm.

again my point stands :) If you want the colts to win you keep Manning - I for one don't wish to see him tear apart our sloppy tampa 2 defense for some other team!

This is simply selfish. You keep him here another 2-3 years, you may barely make the playoff and keep the dreams alive, but this team will always find ways to exit quickly. Considering how good the Texans have been, these 2-3 years may be painful to watch since we may easily fall out of the playoff by losing to them. Don't think about the wildcard since Ravens and Jets always get them and they may have better records than the Texans.

I personally do not worry about Manning tearing us apart. Every starting QB has learned how to do this, including guys like Josh Freeman and Andy Dalton. It does not make things much worse to have Manning doing the same.

This is simply selfish. You keep him here another 2-3 years, you may barely make the playoff and keep the dreams alive, but this team will always find ways to exit quickly. Considering how good the Texans have been, these 2-3 years may be painful to watch since we may easily fall out of the playoff by losing to them. Don't think about the wildcard since Ravens and Jets always get them and they may have better records than the Texans.

I personally do not worry about Manning tearing us apart. Every starting QB has learned how to do this, including guys like Josh Freeman and Andy Dalton. It does not make things much worse to have Manning doing the same.

I wouldn't call it selfish to hope for the best for the team I support, and I honestly believe keeping Manning is the best solution. What do you suggest the colts tell Mannning "Hey lad, we're convinced you're good enough to compete, but we suck so bad that we need to cut you loose only to have an unprooven QB start instead - but feel free to win a few rings with some other team" what kind of message is that to send? From a business standpoint it doesn't add up - from a personnel standpoint maybe.

I wouldn't call it selfish to hope for the best for the team I support, and I honestly believe keeping Manning is the best solution. What do you suggest the colts tell Mannning "Hey lad, we're convinced you're good enough to compete, but we suck so bad that we need to cut you loose only to have an unprooven QB start instead - but feel free to win a few rings with some other team" what kind of message is that to send? From a business standpoint it doesn't add up - from a personnel standpoint maybe.

The trading will make perfect business reasoning: you free up cap space, get more talented young players, and start preparing for another decade of business success. Keeping Manning may still sell lots of tickets for 2-3 years, but nobody will want to buy tickets after he retires.

Manning still has pretty high trade value now, but if he comes back and fails to make playoff next year, his trade value will be much lower. Not to mention if he retires he will have no value.

You tell Peyton thank you and you move on. The Colts owe Peyton nothing. They paid him well, put a good team on the field and gave him every opportunity to do as best he and the team could do. He went to 2 SB's which is more then say Dan Marino got to go to in his career. Did Miami cheat Dan Marino out of anything? Did the Packers cheat Brett Farve out of anything? What about Jim Kelly or Fran Tarkington...did their teams cheat them out of anything? Peyton did alot for this town and franchise and we can only wish him the best, but long term, he is no longer the answer here.

You tell Peyton thank you and you move on. The Colts owe Peyton nothing. They paid him well, put a good team on the field and gave him every opportunity to do as best he and the team could do. He went to 2 SB's which is more then say Dan Marino got to go to in his career. Did Miami cheat Dan Marino out of anything? Did the Packers cheat Brett Farve out of anything? What about Jim Kelly or Fran Tarkington...did their teams cheat them out of anything? Peyton did alot for this town and franchise and we can only wish him the best, but long term, he is no longer the answer here.

How much does Colts organization make because of Peyton Manning? Will you guys buy tickets and jerseys if your team have <3 wins each year? Yes Manning earns a lot, but guys like Sam Bradfford and Mark Sanchez earns not much less.

Dn, that was a really good post up until " but long term, he is no longer the answer here". That is an opinion and it isn't in stone yet. I'd argue that 28 million for not playing a game is a decent severance package and move on. But I think your implying he wouldn't do his usual work with the team if given a chance and I disagree.

Personally I would tell Polian thank you and move on. The Colts owe Polian nothing. They paid him well and gave him every opportunity to do as best he and the team could do. Polian did alot for this town and franchise and we can only wish him the best, but long term, he is no longer the answer here.

Dn, that was a really good post up until " but long term, he is no longer the answer here". That is an opinion and it isn't in stone yet. I'd argue that 28 million for not playing a game is a decent severance package and move on. But I think your implying he wouldn't do his usual work with the team if given a chance and I disagree.

Some analysists already suspected that the 28 million for this year was the Colts' parting bonus for their QB and that is why they signed the contract even when they knew Manning was not healthy. They may be tanking the season intentionally as far as they know who they are gonna draft.

Colts will never trade manning. I question irsay and his sanity sometimes but i do believe in his loyalty to manning. Manning is the franchise n u cant just trade him away. I hope they dont take luck but if they do i really see luck sitting for 4 years. Peyton gets paid the majority of the contract in the next two years. It's not like luck can really do anything if they choose to sit him for four years.

If Manning is healthy and stays in Indy, the Colts are maybe 8-8 next season. He's a huge difference maker, no doubting that, but he's not going to take a team still looking for a win in week 13 this year and bring them to the playoffs 12 months later.

More importantly, and as you guys are aware, Indy needs to fix their offensive line. Assuming he's healthy, is Manning going to want to take a beating week in and week out, regardless of whether the team wins or loses? Would he hold up under those circumstances? We all saw what a struggle that was in 2010, even for a QB of Manning's ilk and talent, and it can't be fun as a football player who is accustomed to success to be tossed around every Sunday like a rag doll.

Where I'm going with all of this is that a trade scenario is certainly not unlikely. I'm sure Manning is like a god to the Irsays and to Polian, but when #18 does eventually retire, they still have a team to run, and they're going to want to make money. This is a rare opportunity to trade a player who can possibly give you the resources you need to build a foundation aimed at long-term success. If the Cowboys hadn't traded Hershel Walker for a boatload of picks, there's no Dallas Dynasty in the early 90s. And I'm sure the same conversations took place back then.

Im not disputing the rest of your statements at all you make some valid points but why couldnt he take this team to the playoffs? its virtually the same team from last year and years past i dont understand your logic in that. The colts are built much different than your pats. Its not so much the players as it is the coaching in my opinion, thats whats wrong with the colts its coaching. You cant have Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark, Austin Collie, Dwight Freeney, Robert Mathis Etc these guys just didnt forget how to play overnight. And at least 4 - 6 games we were in were winnable games but thrown to the dogs due to Painters terrible play and coacing staff asking him to throw 40 + times in those games which is :sorry:

Im not disputing the rest of your statements at all you make some valid points but why couldnt he take this team to the playoffs? its virtually the same team from last year and years past i dont understand your logic in that. The colts are built much different than your pats. Its not so much the players as it is the coaching in my opinion, thats whats wrong with the colts its coaching. You cant have Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark, Austin Collie, Dwight Freeney, Robert Mathis Etc these guys just didnt forget how to play overnight. And at least 4 - 6 games we were in were winnable games but thrown to the dogs due to Painters terrible play and coacing staff asking him to throw 40 + times in those games which is :sorry:

Fair point, which is why I replied to JJ with:

That's funny 'cause I was going to add, "+/- two wins," but thought that made me look too wishy-washy. :P

All of these Colts are going to trade Peyton speculations are nonsence. There's no way in H.E.L.L. the Irsay is going to trade Peyton for a unproven player thats never even took a snap in the NFL! Peyton at 50% is better then Luck at 100%.. So if the front office be dumb and trade the GREATEST QB to ever play the game, they will really know the meaning of #SuckForLuck

The team was bad last season with Peyton and limped into the playoffs because Houston and Jacksonville both fell apart late. You're right in saying that this is virtually the same team as last year and that is just unacceptable.

I just dont understand why we cant have both of them, why do I keep hearing its an either/or? Money? Child please

We can keep both as Polian stated but its all the MEDIA and ESPN COMMENTATORS thats keeping up this ''They should trade Peyton'' Just kause Luck may get drafted 1st dont mean he has to come right in and start. What if we trade Peyton in the offseason then Luck tare his ACL in minicamp? First thing they will say is ''Why did they trade Peyton'' The media is trying so hard too make Peyton out to be Brett Farve when Aaron Rodgers got drafted. Peyton's not that kind of guy and I know that for a fact!

The trading will make perfect business reasoning: you free up cap space, get more talented young players, and start preparing for another decade of business success. Keeping Manning may still sell lots of tickets for 2-3 years, but nobody will want to buy tickets after he retires.

Manning still has pretty high trade value now, but if he comes back and fails to make playoff next year, his trade value will be much lower. Not to mention if he retires he will have no value.

Completely agree. His value is still high enough if he returns heatlhy to bring us at least a high 1st round pick and Im thinking for the future and longevity of this team. Many of you fans cant fathom trading Manning, but it would be the best business decision if we can get a good amount in a trade for him. Like it or not, we are a team needing to rebuild, but thats not necessarily a bad thing, since we will have the opportunity to bring in loads of young talent in the 2012 draft and through the trading of Peyton.

If Andrew Luck pans out and is a good NFL QB which many believes he will be, we will be set for the next 15 years and can be in the playoff hunt again with young talent around Luck and hopefully some better coaching.

The Colts were 10-6 last year, and I think that the defense is worse this year than last year. Never mind that your DTs at this time are not good at all due to injury.

I predicted 8-8 for the Colts this year WITH Peyton, and I see nothing that would have disproved that.

Guest indynorth

I dont buy Peyton will be traded.Irsay said theres enuf salary to keep both.I think people would love to see him go to a lousy team.Hes retiring in a colts uniform.Book it.

Colts will never trade manning. I question irsay and his sanity sometimes but i do believe in his loyalty to manning. Manning is the franchise n u cant just trade him away. I hope they dont take luck but if they do i really see luck sitting for 4 years. Peyton gets paid the majority of the contract in the next two years. It's not like luck can really do anything if they choose to sit him for four years.

That would be the dumbest move ever to sit Luck for 4 years. 1st overall picks and QBs as NFL ready as Luck DO NOT sit for very long.

I heard Manning say before 16 seasons is what he planned to play, this year would have been his 14th. Just b/c you sign a 4 year contract does not mean you plan to play all 4.

Why is it so hard to think that a rookie could learn from the best for 2 years? Sure there are rookies QB with some moderate success...but lets talk about SB winners as the benchmark.

Theres 2 options IMO

1. you do the right thing for Peyton (since we "owe" him a couple of rings). Trade the Luck pick for as many DPs as you can get and try to fix up the OL and the Secondary situation asap and get Peyton another ring. The downside is that our SB changes diminish drastically after 2 years and will decline over the next decade.

2. you do the right thing for the Franchise and we trade Peyton for as many DPs as we can get and try to fix up the OL and the secondary situation asap and get Luck some future rings. The downside is that our SB chances are low for at least 3-4 years but increase over the decade.

#2 seems like a no brainer business decision unless of course..

a. Luck gets hurt and your in the same exact boat as you are now (in fact worse because the luck trade would yield higher dps than a manning trade).

b. Luck doesn't pan out and you have a mediocre team with a mediocre QB for another decade. (Yes, I still remember watching Jeff George so....).

#1 seems to have the highest chance to yield a SB win, even if its only in the short term.

#1 seems just seems like the right thing to do from a people perspective also.

Besides, I'd rather sit through another 10 years of mediocrity than lose Manning to another team.

Cannot agree more. Most of us Colts fans are just too emotional on the trading, which is understandable. But this is professional football and they run teams as business. If the management do not see the future of the team, they will end up regretting for decisions not based on reasoning and get punished by losing their jobs. Fans may be calling for Bill Pollian's head once Manning gets traded, but to all our fans this day could come sooner than we expected.

Sorry guys sounds great but it ain't happening!!!!!!! Peyton will be back next year, we will will have a LAST PLACE SCHEDULE next year,the Colts will win 10 or more games if Peyton is healthy, & we will win the division with a new young QB in the fold for years to come. This team is struggling now, but is the same team PREDICTED TO WIN OUR DIVISION. This team is not as bad as our record & with BETTER QB PLAY could have EASILY won at least 7 or 8 games!! :D Given that with all the injuries this year alot of young guys getting to play I think the future looks bright, with some of the youngsters continued improvement. If we trade anyone or anything, it will be the first pick it self for MORE PICKS!!

Theres 2 options IMO

1. you do the right thing for Peyton (since we "owe" him a couple of rings). Trade the Luck pick for as many DPs as you can get and try to fix up the OL and the Secondary situation asap and get Peyton another ring. The downside is that our SB changes diminish drastically after 2 years and will decline over the next decade.

2. you do the right thing for the Franchise and we trade Peyton for as many DPs as we can get and try to fix up the OL and the secondary situation asap and get Luck some future rings. The downside is that our SB chances are low for at least 3-4 years but increase over the decade.

#2 seems like a no brainer business decision unless of course..

a. Luck gets hurt and your in the same exact boat as you are now (in fact worse because the luck trade would yield higher dps than a manning trade).

b. Luck doesn't pan out and you have a mediocre team with a mediocre QB for another decade. (Yes, I still remember watching Jeff George so....).

#1 seems to have the highest chance to yield a SB win, even if its only in the short term.

#1 seems just seems like the right thing to do from a people perspective also.

Besides, I'd rather sit through another 10 years of mediocrity than lose Manning to another team.

My emotion also leads me to option 1, but as far as I have been watching this team play, it does not look like we could address the issues (OL, DL, secondary, aging star players, running game, special team) from 1-2 drafts, not to mention the new players and coaches will need time to glue. This is the worst NFL team that may need more than the remaining of Manning's career to rebuild.

Sorry guys sounds great but it ain't happening!!!!!!! Peyton will be back next year, we will will have a LAST PLACE SCHEDULE next year,the Colts will win 10 or more games if Peyton is healthy, & we will win the division with a new young QB in the fold for years to come. This team is struggling now, but is the same team PREDICTED TO WIN OUR DIVISION. This team is not as bad as our record & with BETTER QB PLAY could have EASILY won at least 7 or 8 games!! :D Given that with all the injuries this year alot of young guys getting to play I think the future looks bright, with some of the youngsters continued improvement. If we trade anyone or anything, it will be the first pick it self for MORE PICKS!!

This team was predicted to win the division only because of Peyton Manning. Yes, he is that great, he is the difference between a winless team and a superbowl contender. What you proposed is also what I would like to see, but use some reasoning you will find how fanatic the idea is, but OK we are fans so there is nothing wrong being fanatic :D

What makes me laugh is the fact that people who want to trade Manning and want Luck are assuming that Luck will be better than Manning. The problem is the front office and if that dosnt change I dont care who our QB is we will never win a SB. What makes people think that Pollian can build a team around Luck? He couldnt do it with the GOAT QB so getting Luck wont solve the problem. Manning will play as a Colt next year you can count on it. Luck will sit on the bench.

All of these Colts are going to trade Peyton speculations are nonsence. There's no way in H.E.L.L. the Irsay is going to trade Peyton for a unproven player thats never even took a snap in the NFL! Peyton at 50% is better then Luck at 100%.. So if the front office be dumb and trade the GREATEST QB to ever play the game, they will really know the meaning of #SuckForLuck

hahahaha!!! Perfect post. I agree!

What makes me laugh is the fact that people who want to trade Manning and want Luck are assuming that Luck will be better than Manning. The problem is the front office and if that dosnt change I dont care who our QB is we will never win a SB. What makes people think that Pollian can build a team around Luck? He couldnt do it with the GOAT QB so getting Luck wont solve the problem. Manning will play as a Colt next year you can count on it. Luck will sit on the bench.

No QB can be as good as Manning, in my opinion, even Rodgers and Brees. But none of them can play forever, and you will need to plan for life without them before they can no longer play.

Plus as people are asking "who knows how good/bad Luck could be", they could have asked "who knows how good/bad Manning could be" in 1997. I am not saying he could be as good as Manning, but he still has the chance to be one of the best in his own era.

This team was predicted to win the division only because of Peyton Manning. Yes, he is that great, he is the difference between a winless team and a superbowl contender. What you proposed is also what I would like to see, but use some reasoning you will find how fanatic the idea is, but OK we are fans so there is nothing wrong being fanatic :D

You can & others may call it fanatic, I don't here's how I see it.

1 Peyton Healthy QB problem solved, but draft a good young guy to groom Luck or anybody else lower in the draft that can play.

2 The running game is improved, Addia, Carter & Finally Brown looks good & keep a fullback or 2.

3 The Ol has had it's ups & downs this year, but I have seen improvement, Castonzo looks like he will be good, Pollack I think has improved, Jeff has had I THINK he's best year in 2 years sign him again, Link has improved Diem has played well at guard, Reitz not sold on yet but we will see he not horrible. & Ijalana looked OK to bad he was hurt could have gained some experience. Another year together we willl see together & more help in the draft.

4 The receivers are in place they need SOMEONE TO GET THEM THE BALL.

5 Kicking game is good.

6 DL Has been OK could use another DT Nevis looks good, Johnson soso, Mathews has looked good. All the ends have played OK & I like Braten & Anderson inside at the DT's on passing downs. Foster back next year. The guy who needs to do something is Hughes.

7 LB's have been good Weller has played I think real well, Angerger I like, but he seems to be a catch, grab & pursue guy, NOT A REAL THUMPER which is Ok, but we need a THUMPER. Conner makes some mistakes but is a real hitter & physical & Sims I think can & will play better throw in OUR DEFENSIVE CAPTAIN Gary I like the group, but draft another one.

8. DB's now here is the area for me of concern. Bethea & Powers are fine. WE ABSOLUTELY MUST FIND ANOTHER CB. Thomas looks OK he's not physical, Lacy is not a starter, Rucker looks more like a safety to me & Johnson whatever. Also Safety is a problem with our OTHER DEFENSIVE CAPTAIN OUT BULLET. 2 shoulder problems in 2 years, hum I don't know we need a draft pick here badly as well. Caldwell is OK, but not physical enough for me.

9. Special Teams are bad get hungry good guys who can tackle.

!0 If I was the GM First I would evaluate if Luck is really the crap or not. If so draft him or look for someone I like in the 2nd or 3rd RD trade the pick get there 1st & 2nd & 3rd round pick & draft the big OT from USC, & in the 2nd & 3rd draft a QB,S, CB, & either a DT or LB.

Sounds just like first place to me.

I don't get it. Everyone is saying this team is so bad and is the same team as last year's.

I think people forget that we lost 2 of our top 3 draft prospects to injury this year - and Nevis has very

high potential to be an anchor for our defense. Yes, injuries are part of the game, but think about it;

we get top draft picks in each round next year (did we trade any draft picks in the upcoming draft??)

and we get back last year's picks. We're much better than last year.

If Peyton is healthy he has a better running game and (hopefully) a better O-line to play with. Why would

i want to trade him if he's healthy?

Luck hasn't taken a snap in the NFL I say we win now with Peyton if he's healthy. Keep Luck in case he

goes down or doesn't fully recover. I doubt Luck's trade value goes down halfway through the season.

My .02

I DO agree that if Peyton is healthy, he is our starter no doubt about it...and that we will win the division again...but where i do NOT agree is that the "last place schedule" will help us at all. You do realize that next year, we play the NFC North and the AFC East, right? So our schedule will look like this (not in this order):

Green Bay

Detroit

Chicago

Minnesota

New England

NY Jets

Buffalo

Miami

San Diego

Houston x 2

Tennessee x 2

Jacksonville x 2

+ one other game

While "last place schedule" sounds nice and all, it really doesnt mean much

Simple, there isn't much gas left in the tank for Peyton. He is looking at maybe 3 at best 4 years left playing wise. If we can get a younger replacement and add pieces around him then you are set for the next 7-10 years easily.

But we obviously dont have those pieces/..At least not the young ones..

The good pieces are in Manning's age bracket...

We'll never trade a healthy Manning..

4,700 yards in 2010..and 3 TDs..maybe his best season...considering the injuries around him

Adam, also said

http://espn.go.com/e...play?id=7297948

Give this a listen. Schefter goes into the Colts QB situation and predicts they will look for suitors for Manning in the offseason. He states there should be a number of teams that will be interested, even with his age and salary. I just wonder what we could get for him.

If we could get at least a 1st round pick, and give Luck some more talent with those picks acquired from the Manning trade, then Im all for it. Look, I know a lot of us want to have both Luck and Manning on the roster so that Luck can be tutored like Rodgers. This is NOT the same situation as that. Luck is much more NFL ready than Rodgers.

If we can get another potentially great player to help out Luck through the 2012 draft aka Matt Kalil, Justin Blackmon, or get a defensive playmaker like Morris Claiborne, why not do this?

ESPN also said that Tampa Bay was a coming powerhouse..sure to go to the playoffs

I dont understand why polian and irsay would consider trading peyton. i mean lets be real, we havent even saw andrew luck take an nfl snap yet and here we are ready to give him the keys to our franchise. and just by the way he has played the past couple weeks should make the colts think again. might i remind everyone that ryan leaf looked "nfl ready" coming out of washington state in 1998. Had we made that mistake, colts football as we know it would not exist. To me, it makes sense to trade that number one pick. Who knows, maybe miami would give their second overall pick as well as say, a Brandon Marshall or Reggie Bush. With the second pick, we could take Blackmon/Richardson

If Manning is healthy and stays in Indy, the Colts are maybe 8-8 next season. He's a huge difference maker, no doubting that, but he's not going to take a team still looking for a win in week 13 this year and bring them to the playoffs 12 months later.

Really? and what is so different with this team oppose to the 14-2 SB team a couple of years ago? besides a less talented offensive line that we had back then of course. Then last year we watched manning play with the back ups of the guys playing now, and he still pulled out 10 wins. This team is more talented then it was when manning was behind center (excluding QB play of course) Reggie was younger, Brown wasnt performing, Collie and Garcon where younger as well.This team has actually made improvements from previous years only Manning went down before he got a chance. With a legit team around Manning he could honestly go 16-0 next year. We watched the Colts talent level deteriorate over the past few years yet their standing remained the same. Why? cause Manning continued to raise his game. If we did happen to trade him, we would be forced to watch the best Manning of his career win a couple SBs with another team. Why not watch watch him do it in a Colts uniform? I for one have had enough of a Manningless Colts team and all I want is to see #18 back on the field. And thats what all the players and organization as a whole want, which is why he will not be traded. There will be other Qb prospects, there will not be another Manning.