Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Adam Schefter Predicts Trade

BProland85

No, it isn't.

Yeah it is, didn't Shefter say that we should trade Wayne and Mathis for 4th round picks? There was no evidence for that and look at what happened. He was just making trades out of what he though, not information that he gathered. It's just a matter of opinions when their is no evidence.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not read through all the posts but a trade in the next 2 seasons is simply cap death for the Colts. Dak, Chap, and Kravitz have discussed this at length. And if Indy trades Manning, before or after the balloon payment of 28 mil. they are STILL on the hook for ALL OF IT. So trading Manning and having to absorb this huge cap hit makes zero sense.

So if they trade him before the start of next season they will have to swallow all of it, if they trade him next season then they have to swallow 21 million of it... and so on through year 4.

This is the way I understand it, if a trade happens it would most likely happen in the 3rd or 4th year of the contract.

If this is not correct please correct me, cap issues are very confusing some times.

The only realistic options are for Manning to remain a Colt, retire, or get released.

Im a cardinal fan, but as a fan of football Peyton Manning is my favorite player ever. I hear all the talk about Luck being the next Elway and thats fine, but he isnt the next Manning. Peyton isnt a once in a generation player he's a once in a lifetime. I know a lot of Colts fans would like to get luck, cause heck, you'll just take off where you left off, but no way. Regardless of what team drafted Peyton they would have enjoyed similar success as the Colts have during his time. I feel he is the only player that that is true for. Has Brady not been drafted by the Pats no way would he have had this success, even Aarron rodgers stepped into a great situation, with Peyton though he he made his own path. If im the Colts I wouldnt trade Peyton for the world, last year before anyone knew of his injury i said this colts team would be 0-16 minus Peyton, a team that was in the SB and 14-2 2 years ago, he's the only player in the NFL that could impact his team that much, he's the best player of all time, hands down, you just dont trade that in my opinion. Good luck getting him back, I hope his a colt next year, and if so I hope you guys go 16-0 with him.

Yeah it is, didn't Shefter say that we should trade Wayne and Mathis for 4th round picks? There was no evidence for that and look at what happened. He was just making trades out of what he though, not information that he gathered. It's just a matter of opinions when their is no evidence.

No he reported those as deals that should happen but wouldn't. As per normal someone heard the trade part and got excited and jumped the gun on the story, since then it has been reported he said that those were deals that should happen but weren't going ot happen.

Also I really doubt any of us get paid to find out what the latest news is in the NFL and I doubt any of us have the same sources as Schefter has. We just flat out guess or try to guess based on what is told to us by people like Schefter. People talks to people in the NFL who probably have an idea of what is going on. While he might not always be right it's not unreasonable to think that Schefter's guesses about something are a little more informed that most of ours.

As for the truth to this, John Clayton who works for the same network said the Colts couldn't trade Manning because of how his contract is set up and when his bonus's would be due about a month ago so clearly someone is wrong or Schefter has found out something that Clayton didn't know at the time in regards to maybe Manning being willing to rework his deal to push that date back to allow for a trade but I am not even sure if that is aloud.

Really? and what is so different with this team oppose to the 14-2 SB team a couple of years ago? besides a less talented offensive line that we had back then of course. Then last year we watched manning play with the back ups of the guys playing now, and he still pulled out 10 wins. This team is more talented then it was when manning was behind center (excluding QB play of course) Reggie was younger, Brown wasnt performing, Collie and Garcon where younger as well.This team has actually made improvements from previous years only Manning went down before he got a chance. With a legit team around Manning he could honestly go 16-0 next year. We watched the Colts talent level deteriorate over the past few years yet their standing remained the same. Why? cause Manning continued to raise his game. If we did happen to trade him, we would be forced to watch the best Manning of his career win a couple SBs with another team. Why not watch watch him do it in a Colts uniform? I for one have had enough of a Manningless Colts team and all I want is to see #18 back on the field. And thats what all the players and organization as a whole want, which is why he will not be traded. There will be other Qb prospects, there will not be another Manning.

See subsequent posts... a couple of people already called me on that.

My thought is simply that the Colts struggled to get to 10-6 last year, and made few improvements IMO this offseason. I know there were a lot of injuries in 2010, but that's inevitable (every team seems decimated at one point in the season or another), and last season exposed Indy's lack of depth. The QB play this year has been atrocious for sure from Collins, Painter, and probably Orlovsky when he gets in there on Sunday, so it's difficult to gauge the rest of the team's performance and to surmise how things would be going if Manning had been healthy all season.

For most football watching observers, the Colts are more than just "one Peyton Manning away" from being a legit championship team again. That's all.

cool... but at the end of the day it's just a prediction.

Agreed...the media is drumming this up. They want to see the Colts lose Manning. They would like nothing better than to get him out of Indianapolis and into a bigger market. So they keep trying to create and stir up controversy where it otherwise does not exist.

Nothing said by Polian, Irsay or Manning would lead anyone to believe that the Colts are not perfectly happy with having Peyton and his future successor co-exist for a few seasons if possible. On the contrary, there have been several statements made by them in support of the idea.

This is the same media that has been trying to tell us our window is slammed shut for the past three years we have made the playoffs. They want to nail it shut now by trying to convince us that our team can't keep Manning and draft a future franchise guy in the 1st round. I'm not buying it until I hear it coming from one of our guys.

If Peyton is healthy we will find a way to compete next year and if we take Luck we will be setting the stage to potentially sustain this post-Manning. The window may have an ugly crack in it right now but it isn't closed just yet.

I really don't understand all this talk about not being able to keep both QBs. If Manning is 100% he's obviously the best short term option. But he's 36 which means that Luck is the better long term option (assuming your defintion of long term is longer than 2 years) What makes sense is to keep both players, give Luck time to acclimate himself to the NFL meanwhile you have Manning (who we all know what he can do) as the starter.

This talk about "Well Luck won't stand for that!" is silly. He's a rookie. He will do what we tell him to do. And all this talk about forcing a trade is silly too. If we already have Manning, there is no risk at all to call his bluff because we don't need him this year. What's he going to do? Sit out a year just to spite us because we won't let him play right away? If he sits out the year he won't be playing right away anyway and in the process lose a year of his career which could be used to make him better (meanwhile getting paid the same amount as if he was the starter)

The only way it even remotely makes sense to trade Manning is if we get offered a Herschel Walker esque trade (which won't happen) and even then it only becomes debateable at that point. (plus the cap issues it presents which was aluded to a post or two previously)

Manning is the present, Luck is the future. Why that has people riled up is honestly beyond me. That seems about as close to an ideal situation as we could have ever possibly hoped to find ourselves in.

Agreed...the media is drumming this up. They want to see the Colts lose Manning. They would like nothing better than to get him out of Indianapolis and into a bigger market. So they keep trying to create and stir up controversy where it otherwise does not exist.

Nothing said by Polian, Irsay or Manning would lead anyone to believe that the Colts are not perfectly happy with having Peyton and his future successor co-exist for a few seasons if possible. On the contrary, there have been several statements made by them in support of the idea.

This is the same media that has been trying to tell us our window is slammed shut for the past three years we have made the playoffs. They want to nail it shut now by trying to convince us that our team can't keep Manning and draft a future franchise guy in the 1st round. I'm not buying it until I hear it coming from one of our guys.

If Peyton is healthy we will find a way to compete next year and if we take Luck we will be setting the stage to potentially sustain this post-Manning. The window may have an ugly crack in it right now but it isn't closed just yet.

QFT!

I DO agree that if Peyton is healthy, he is our starter no doubt about it...and that we will win the division again...but where i do NOT agree is that the "last place schedule" will help us at all. You do realize that next year, we play the NFC North and the AFC East, right? So our schedule will look like this (not in this order):

Green Bay

Detroit

Chicago

Minnesota

New England

NY Jets

Buffalo

Miami

San Diego

Houston x 2

Tennessee x 2

Jacksonville x 2

+ one other game

While "last place schedule" sounds nice and all, it really doesnt mean much

Honestly we should handle all those teams with Peyton back. you have SD on your list I think it will be KC & you left off Clev. Other than NE & GB these other teams scare you? I say bring them own. I like that we may have a chip on our shoulder next year!!

He said we should trade Wayne and Mathis in his opinion. He didn't say we were going to make any trades. He had a list on teams he thought should make trades but he also said they were unlikely to happen.

If we trade Manning, I will probably be in complete shock and don't know if i would pay any attention to the NFL the rest of the off season. Plus i can not see the colts owner ever trading manning, theres a reason he wanted to make manning the highest paid player in the nfl. Just can not see it happening.

no way the colts trade manning. they already said they have the cap to keep manning and sign a first round qb and still be competitive

That thinking might go out the window if that QB is the overall #1 and considered the best QB prospect in a decade or more. My prediction is if they both sign with the Colts for 2012, one of them will be gone before the 2013 season starts. I really doubt that both would be on the roster by 2012 opening day. You might be right about the trading Peyton part. I would definitely keep him if he's healthy and trade the Luck pick for the 3-5 picks he would fetch.

I have not read through all the posts but a trade in the next 2 seasons is simply cap death for the Colts. Dak, Chap, and Kravitz have discussed this at length. And if Indy trades Manning, before or after the balloon payment of 28 mil. they are STILL on the hook for ALL OF IT. So trading Manning and having to absorb this huge cap hit makes zero sense.

So if they trade him before the start of next season they will have to swallow all of it, if they trade him next season then they have to swallow 21 million of it... and so on through year 4.

This is the way I understand it, if a trade happens it would most likely happen in the 3rd or 4th year of the contract.

If this is not correct please correct me, cap issues are very confusing some times.

The only realistic options are for Manning to remain a Colt, retire, or get released.

This can't be right. Why would they have to pay him the full 28 mill if he is traded to another team willing to pay him? It makes no sense why we would still be paying out the butt even if he doenst play for us this year and next.

And you believe that ??????

Jim has been tweeting about it alot and the colts have said themselves that they can afford both rookie qb and manning. Idk why they would say that before the draft unless we will draft a QB. Pretty pointless IMO to say "oh we can afford luck and manning together" and not draft luck. Jim is slowly tweeting his way into saying " We're going to draft Andrew Luck". And i could live with that.

Honestly we should handle all those teams with Peyton back. you have SD on your list I think it will be KC & you left off Clev. Other than NE & GB these other teams scare you? I say bring them own. I like that we may have a chip on our shoulder next year!!

I did not say that the teams scare me or that we cant beat them, i simply said that "having a last place schedule" is an over blown statement. theres only a game or two added to our schedule because of being "last place"...the others are the divisions we rotate to play each year plus our own division...and yes, i do think that san diego will be last place in their division, but could very well turn it back around and be good next year...so getting them as a last place team, doesnt really help us much in my opinion.