Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts work out KR Trindon Holliday

Dustin

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd rather do that with T.Y. so that our play calling is not limited, that is my point (unless you want to waste a few plays just so that you can get Holliday on the field).

T.Y. Hilton is just as fast as him and we can run way more plays with T.Y. on the field. With Trindon Holliday, you cannot run him between the tackles, you cannot play him like a Sproles since he does not function well as a WR with his back to the QB, and there will be too much predictability because of that limited nature.

Rather give it to Moncrief than TY. TY has no value as a runner.

I'd rather do that with T.Y. so that our play calling is not limited, that is my point (unless you want to waste a few plays just so that you can get Holliday on the field).

T.Y. Hilton is just as fast as him and we can run way more plays with T.Y. on the field. With Trindon Holliday, you cannot run him between the tackles, you cannot play him like a Sproles since he does not function well as a WR with his back to the QB, and there will be too much predictability because of that limited nature.

im probably wrong saying this, but I dont think ty is elusive enough to run the jet sweep. he has great speed, but doesnt break a lot of tackles

im probably wrong saying this, but I dont think ty is elusive enough to run the jet sweep. he has great speed, but doesnt break a lot of tackles

That could be the case. Like Dustin said, I'd be fine with Moncrief getting that role. Do we have any WRs/RBs that were former QBs?

Just thought we can pull a Joseph Addai from the 2009 49ers game, or recently a Mohammed Sanu for the Bengals :) if we need to throw in the ultimate element of surprise for just one big play. Big Ben's best pass in the 2005 SB was to Antwan Randle El who was a QB for IU and the current WR/former college QB made that pass to Hines Ward for the TD in the SB.

We must have the day off today. Caused I'm surprised he'd step in the same building with the Punter who bulldozed him

:lol::funny:

But in all seriousness, if he learned how to hold onto the ball I'll take him. Need a spark at KR. Wish they'd let Purifoy do it though. Maybe they're cautious about Toler holding up and don't wanna shorten the DB depth Idk :dunno:

You know laughing manically to yourself is kinda strange unless you have a secret volcano lair. At the least tell me you have some sharks with laser beams on their heads? :P

Can't boot a player to the practice squad. You have to waive him, then he has to clear waivers, then he has to agree to sign back to your practice squad. So I think that's highly unlikely, especially with the interior line issues that other teams have.

You gotta wonder what's happening.  Griff has been inconsistent as a returner.  It makes you wonder why they aren't giving Purifoy or even Moncrief a shot at it

It does make me wonder if the coaching staff don't like what they see? You'd think they'd want to get Moncrief or Purifoy some exposure out there on the field even if it is only on ST. 

To be honest after the Griff performance against the Ravens I'd rather have someone who is risky but can break one rather than risky and slow. Griff's USP was his safe hands and he's blown that a little lately. 

It does make me wonder if the coaching staff don't like what they see? You'd think they'd want to get Moncrief or Purifoy some exposure out there on the field even if it is only on ST. 

To be honest after the Griff performance against the Ravens I'd rather have someone who is risky but can break one rather than risky and slow. Griff's USP was his safe hands and he's blown that a little lately. 

The Ravens game was just weird. I'm not really worried about Griff's hands or decision making. I doubt he'll make those mistakes again.

But in the Texans game, his kickoff returns just seemed incredibly slow. I could see teams kicking it a little short on purpose to entice him to return it, knowing that he isn't going to hurt them. 

Of course, I don't know how the coaches feel about Purifoy or Moncrief as returners. Purifoy made some mistakes in the preseason, but he has some wiggle to him. If we're going to bring in someone like Holliday who is known for losing the ball, then I wonder how bad Purifoy might have been in practice...

The Ravens game was just weird. I'm not really worried about Griff's hands or decision making. I doubt he'll make those mistakes again.

But in the Texans game, his kickoff returns just seemed incredibly slow. I could see teams kicking it a little short on purpose to entice him to return it, knowing that he isn't going to hurt them. 

Of course, I don't know how the coaches feel about Purifoy or Moncrief as returners. Purifoy made some mistakes in the preseason, but he has some wiggle to him. If we're going to bring in someone like Holliday who is known for losing the ball, then I wonder how bad Purifoy might have been in practice...

You're right of course that one game is an unfair sample to whale on Griff for (cue crickets) but I guess it just made me start to think that he's never going to be a guy who teams are going be really scared of breaking a big one and as you say teams might entice a little gambling on him trying a little too hard to make something happen.

Did Moncrief have return duties in college?

Can't boot a player to the practice squad. You have to waive him, then he has to clear waivers, then he has to agree to sign back to your practice squad. So I think that's highly unlikely, especially with the interior line issues that other teams have.

Ah, thanks for the clarification. You really think it's that likely he'd get claimed? I'm not sure what team would, given that he's only actually seen a few snaps.

He's an average returner who fumbles way too much  here are his career stats.

KR - 49 returns/27.1 ypr average/2 tds/1 fumble

PR - 80 returns/9.4 ypr average/2 tds/10 fumbles

No, thanks.

Let's not ignore history.  The best indicator of future performance is past performance.  While I agree he is exciting to watch, 10 fumbles in 80 punt returns is way too many.

Ah, thanks for the clarification. You really think it's that likely he'd get claimed? I'm not sure what team would, given that he's only actually seen a few snaps.

Yes, absolutely. 

Understand, Khaled Holmes was a highly rated draft prospect. There are tons of teams that have bad guard/center situations right now, and would like to have as many young prospects as possible. I don't there's any chance he'd clear waivers.

he has far more fumbles than tds

I know he fumbles. But from watching the games I always felt Holliday is a game breaker.

Of course he cant always return the ball for a TD. But he has the potential to, and he almost always gets positive yardage. 

I'd hope the Colts would also have these same statistics, and that they are well aware of his fumbles.

Yet, still they brought Holliday in for the workout.

This years team seems to be moving away from the more conservative style we saw in years past. 

Whalens hands or Hollidays speed.. Hmm.

Since there is not a report of the Colts signing him then I think the Colts reached the same decision the Broncos did.  When you have a QB that can lead a TD drive from any distance on the field then the possession is more important than the position.

Since there is not a report of the Colts signing him then I think the Colts reached the same decision the Broncos did.  When you have a QB that can lead a TD drive from any distance on the field then the possession is more important than the position.

I agree with that position, but I think it's too soon to determine if the team is trying to get a deal done. He just worked out today. I think it took a few days to put Victor Butler on the roster.

I agree with that position, but I think it's too soon to determine if the team is trying to get a deal done. He just worked out today. I think it took a few days to put Victor Butler on the roster.

Yeah, I was in offseason mode, where if the Colts brought someone in and they liked him, he had a contract before he left the building.

If we really want a KR/PR, call Kansas City...get De'Anthony Thomas...They aren't using him anyway..his only offensive play, besides returns was a swing pass he turned into a 17 yard TD, breaking a tackle in the backfield, then running through the hard hit to get into the end zone. Had a 28 yard PR as one of his two in the game, and in preseason had an 80 yard return for a TD after getting hit as he caught the ball. He's faster and more elusive than TY on returns, and if needed can occasionally run the ball, or be used as a WR. You just have to get him in open space and its a TD...He's as dangerous a return man as Deion and Hester..

Here's the TD pass after he set it up on a long PR...first offensive snap as a pro.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000406063/De-Anthony-Thomas-takes-short-pass-17-yards-for-a-touchdown