Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Polian Show 11/28

vitoaf27

I am not currently listening to it, but I am following Stampede Blue's live feed of the show, and basically Polian is saying we need to have completely new systems next year, there is players on the defense that don't need to be there, and implying that the season is basically over.

Anybody currently listening that can give any input?

I am not currently listening to it, but I am following Stampede Blue's live feed of the show, and basically Polian is saying we need to have completely new systems next year, there is players on the defense that don't need to be there, and implying that the season is basically over.

Anybody currently listening that can give any input?

We have needed new systems for several years,welcome to reality Polian

Wow...new system(s) plural huh? Seems to imply changes not only to defense but to the offense as well. Now as long as we have Peyton there is no changing the offensive system...unless we won't have him in which case all bets are likely off. I personally believe that Peyton's heir will operate under a different type of offensive system than the one custom built for Manning. Perhaps Polian's comment provides a clue regarding Peyton's future status and reveals our plans to transition towards a more conventional offensive system for our next franchise qb.

Wow...new system(s) plural huh? Seems to imply changes not only to defense but to the offense as well. Now as long as we have Peyton there is no changing the offensive system...unless we won't have him in which case all bets are likely off. I personally believe that Peyton's heir will operate under a different type of offensive system than the one custom built for Manning. Perhaps Polian's comment provides a clue regarding Peyton's future status and reveals our plans to transition towards a more conventional offensive system for our next franchise qb.

I disagree with the underlined part...I'd prefer to start changing the system now to a more balanced attack even with Manning back. For one thing, that takes some of the pressure off him. Also, it gives the rest of the offense the ability to adjust now to the new system and get comfortable with it so that the rest of the offense will be up to speed before the new QB comes in. That way it's only the new QB who has to adjust and not the entire offense which should make for a much easier transition for the new QB.

I disagree with the underlined part...I'd prefer to start changing the system now to a more balanced attack even with Manning back. For one thing, that takes some of the pressure off him. Also, it gives the rest of the offense the ability to adjust now to the new system and get comfortable with it so that the rest of the offense will be up to speed before the new QB comes in. That way it's only the new QB who has to adjust and not the entire offense which should make for a much easier transition for the new QB.

Hey Jason! I am interested to know what constitutes changing the system in your view. When I speak of our offensive system, I am thinking of the way our offense is designed with all plays going through Peyton with the heavy emphasis on at-the-line adjustments & audibling, and the muddle huddle based offensive flow; etc. I think that only Peyton can run that kind of system effectively because it is custom built to his unique intellect & skill set and that if we eventually go with someone else then we will have to get away from some of that and become a more conventional style offense.

I definitely agree that the offense needs to be more balanced and innovative but that isn't really an offensive system change as much as it is better overall play calling/play selection in my opinion.

Pick Up Jim Sorgi or Brady Quinn we might have a chance going 5-11. The Defence is not the problem that defence plays great with a lead which is something we have not be able to do all year.

The Jim Sorgi of 3-4 years ago perhaps. Not so sure about now though as I believe he has been impaired by injuries a bit since leaving Indy. I actually liked Sorgi while he was here. I remember him winning a game or two for us towards the end of the year while we were resting Manning. I vividly recall him beating Arizona one year and the Titans another year with Manning calling in plays via headset from the sidelines. :D Watching the Curtis Painter comedy hour makes me long for the good ole Jim Sorgi days.

Polian is a joke and his show is a joke. All of the one and dones didn't make him see that changes were needed. Why would it take a possible winless season to see that changes need to me made. These changes should have been made years ago. Maybe he is trying to save his job.

Well he'd be a fool to go with the status quo so nothing new here. But a new coaching AND approach to the game might be a big deal. Perhaps Norv Turner will end up in Indy.

I know yall would love that;-)

Norv Turner??? Are you asking for a negative rep?

Polian is a joke and his show is a joke. All of the one and dones didn't make him see that changes were needed. Why would it take a possible winless season to see that changes need to me made. These changes should have been made years ago. Maybe he is trying to save his job.

Bingo.Reading between the lines I would guess Irsay has made it known he isn't happy with this national embarrasment.

Yeah the defense has needed revamped for years, it seems like our defensive philosophy for years have been, "we pressure the QB, inconsistently force turnovers, and can't stop the run."

that works great in the regular season but come playoff time when all the teams are good your weaknesses become your fate to lose.

Not trying to sound arrogant, but when gave we had an offensive system? It's called peyton go to the line and pick a play. Our o coordinators do nothing really, except in the sb at the end of the half.....

Peyton tries to be balanced but its kind of hard when the rub game just shuts down sometimes. I remember against tye chargers we had like 16 rushes for 28 yards. If polian means drafting players that can run or block well im all for it. We will need a real o coordinator when peyton is gone but until then the overhaul just needs to occur in the play execution of the players.

I'd like to see a Caldwell Show.

Cardboard cutouts can't speak!! Better yet, we need NFL films to secretly mic up Peyton during these games so we can all hear what he has to say about this failure of a so called coaching staff. I bet that would be the highest rated NFL network show to date.

Cardboard cutouts can't speak!! Better yet, we need NFL films to secretly mic up Peyton during these games so we can all hear what he has to say about this failure of a so called coaching staff. I bet that would be the highest rated NFL network show to date.

Can you imagine what he is thinking watching this crapfest.

I only cought the start of it but Polian sounded like he was admitting coaching was an issue. Clearly what happened with Coyer seems to back this up. The line that really struck me last night was Polian said they practiced all week for the option and the defense got burned with it the first three times the Panthers ran it. He then said it was clear there was a communcation problem and getting the point across. Well clearly now he was talking about Coyer.

He also said they were also going to make changes if injuries would let them. Seems like Orlovsky is one of those. He also made a point to say it's time to understand the greats that made us great for year outside of Reggie and Saturday are either not here anymore or aren't playing and it's time to understand we aren't that team anymore. He said we so I don't think he was talking about the fans I think he ment the franchise which tells me Coyer is just going to be the first person to fall and there are going to be a lot of changes both in coaching and players in the off-season.

He was also very hard on the run back (with good reason) and saying they can't have that happen yet it keeps happening and that MUST be fixed. I know we've heard him say things like this before but very rarely has he singled out specific plays or players and pretty much said they have to be changed. I don't know it just sounded different to me than he normally does at least at the start. My only issue with Coyer going today is that Ray Rychleski gets to keep his job? I guess they have a guy who can fill in till the end of the year for Coyer in Murphy but not one who can fill in for Rychleski although at this point I almost say let them play street ball and Pat and Adam coach it.

Pick Up Jim Sorgi or Brady Quinn we might have a chance going 5-11. The Defence is not the problem that defence plays great with a lead which is something we have not be able to do all year.

Well........maybe the Colts would be better off with a defense that can play well regardless of the score :hmm:

Well........maybe the Colts would be better off a defense that can play well regardless of the score :hmm:

No defense can play well, for 4 quarters, when the offense goes 3-and-out in 90 seconds. That's just the indisputable truth.

It's also not likely to have a defense that consistently plays well AND an offense that puts up lots of points. Parity is the NFL, and there will be weaknesses on a team. It's impossible to be good across the board for more than a couple of games at a time.

Well........maybe the Colts would be better off with a defense that can play well regardless of the score :hmm:

No defense can play well, for 4 quarters, when the offense goes 3-and-out in 90 seconds. That's just the indisputable truth.

It's also not likely to have a defense that consistently plays well AND an offense that puts up lots of points. Parity is the NFL, and there will be weaknesses on a team. It's impossible to be good across the board for more than a couple of games at a time.

The Colts have had issues with a "can only play well if there is at least a 2 possession lead" defense long before this season.

I don't think it's asking too much for a team with a good offense to have a defense that isn't one of the worse in every category

Polian should be as good as gone the day after the season ends. Losing Manning and watching this front office scramble to fill the unfillable void signed the walking papers. They are a joke, the problems with this team have been evident for years and this arrogant man has done nothing to address the issues and has even berated the fanbase many times for it.

If there is one positive I take out of this craptastic season it's the fact that there is now no denying the fact that this team is pretty shallow in the talent department, the defensive philosophy does not work and hasn't worked for many years and our "plethora" of offensive playmakers who eat up much of the cap aren't much to speak of without the GOAT tossing them the ball and calling all the plays. The spotlight has shown bright and exposed alot these players and this organization as a fraud and now Irsay is going to have to do something to right this thing or risk media blackouts and a disgruntled and dwindling fanbase, just look how fast the pacers went from top in gate reciepts to worst in the league, it can happen real fast here in Indy when the fans have had enough and don't think Irsay does not know this. Changes are coming, this is a fact, just how deep and radical they are going to be are the only question and as a long time fan I hope it's a complete cleaning of the ol' house, bring in fresh minds and proven coaches and build this thing right.

And for those of you who have fallen for this defense that "plays with a lead" garbage, you need to get a clue, find your own opinion and stop repeating what Bill Polian spews out, most of which is contradicting and false in nature to begin with. I would be happy to see this goon sent packing today, he has rode Manning's coat tails long enough and the only thing he has done consistantly is saddle one of the NFL's all time great QBs with a putrid defense and even worse special teams every stinking year, and then he has the gall to claim his genius after Manning bails this team out time and time again. Get somebody in here who can actually build a balanced team with quality depth and maybe salvage the last years of Manning, or if he's done, then set up excellence with Luck by having complimenting parts to the team. Our squad now, even with Manning, is only 1/3 of a team, no defense to rely on and special teams that has it's punter as it's leading tackler..... I have some faith that this 0fer season will get the ball rolling in the right direction.

I agree SolderColtsFan, if the Colts are really trying to win, this season shows just how bad this team is run from top to bottom. Peyton Manning has made this team what it is. He is reading defenses and studying film and motivating the team. All the things that the coaching staff is supposed to do, Manning has done it behind center. If they aren't tanking games, then this team is a joke. If they are tanking the season, they know much more about Manning's future than they are letting on.

Polian should be as good as gone the day after the season ends. Losing Manning and watching this front office scramble to fill the unfillable void signed the walking papers. They are a joke, the problems with this team have been evident for years and this arrogant man has done nothing to address the issues and has even berated the fanbase many times for it.

If there is one positive I take out of this craptastic season it's the fact that there is now no denying the fact that this team is pretty shallow in the talent department, the defensive philosophy does not work and hasn't worked for many years and our "plethora" of offensive playmakers who eat up much of the cap aren't much to speak of without the GOAT tossing them the ball and calling all the plays. The spotlight has shown bright and exposed alot these players and this organization as a fraud and now Irsay is going to have to do something to right this thing or risk media blackouts and a disgruntled and dwindling fanbase, just look how fast the pacers went from top in gate reciepts to worst in the league, it can happen real fast here in Indy when the fans have had enough and don't think Irsay does not know this. Changes are coming, this is a fact, just how deep and radical they are going to be are the only question and as a long time fan I hope it's a complete cleaning of the ol' house, bring in fresh minds and proven coaches and build this thing right.

And for those of you who have fallen for this defense that "plays with a lead" garbage, you need to get a clue, find your own opinion and stop repeating what Bill Polian spews out, most of which is contradicting and false in nature to begin with. I would be happy to see this goon sent packing today, he has rode Manning's coat tails long enough and the only thing he has done consistantly is saddle one of the NFL's all time great QBs with a putrid defense and even worse special teams every stinking year, and then he has the gall to claim his genius after Manning bails this team out time and time again. Get somebody in here who can actually build a balanced team with quality depth and maybe salvage the last years of Manning, or if he's done, then set up excellence with Luck by having complimenting parts to the team. Our squad now, even with Manning, is only 1/3 of a team, no defense to rely on and special teams that has it's punter as it's leading tackler..... I have some faith that this 0fer season will get the ball rolling in the right direction.

If it ain't broke why fix it? Over the past decade all we have done is won a ton of games, won our division and made the playoffs. Exactly what more do you want from your mag't team?

If it ain't broke why fix it? Over the past decade all we have done is won a ton of games, won our division and made the playoffs. Exactly what more do you want from your mag't team?

1. If this season doesn't tell you there are issues with our defense then...wait if it were anyone else I'd be surprised. Nevermind

2. It IS broke and has been for a long time. The only SB win came in the one year when our defense played well in the playoffs. This may be a QB driven league, and to win a SB you have to be able to put up points (because SBs aren't played in inclement weather anymore), but to get TO the SB you have to be able to run the ball and play defense unless you're a dome team AND can get home field advantage throughout, because then you at least have a chance of leaning only on a high-powered offense to outscore the other team. That is until they make every stadium a dome so that weather won't be a factor.

3. "If it ain't broke then don't fix it" sounds good and all but it's also the very definition of complacency. Even if something is working and working well, you can enjoy that while still looking for ways you could possibly improve and/or make that thing more effective or efficient.

Are you being serious?! The point is that it IS broke! If our front office had put a better team around Peyton, he/the Colts would likely have at LEAST 3 or 4 super bowls by now...the fact that our front office has put such sub par talent around the best QB of all time has essentially wasted the career of the greatest to ever play the game.

Exactly what more do i want from our management/team? I want them to put us in a better position to win super bowls...over the past several years, Polian has fielded our team with scrubs on the O line because of how stubborn he can be...he has continued to field a bunch of VERY small CBs that get dragged around when they try to tackle...he has fielded some pretty bad DTs and LBs...basically other than Manning, the WRs and DEs, the talent he has given us to work with is sub par.

And i'm sick of Polian always saying that he does not believe in spending money on free agents...what he SHOULD say is that he doesnt like to spend money on GOOD free agents...because he DOES spend on several guys that have not played well and practice squad guys and cast offs from other teams, every year

It is broke, and broken badly. The D is putrid, the special teams have got to be one of the worst overall units for at least 8 years running and the "playmakers" raking in a sizable chunk of the cap on offense are dropping the few accurate throws coming at them proving once again that w/o #18 they just aren't as great as they were portrayed to be.

You act like everything is just fine, it's not. This team has been bad for a while, Manning has held it together. Everybody that has your mindset always says "look at the wins", I say so what, look at the championship banners is what I say. We have been blessed to have one of the greatest QBs of all time directing this team and our goon GM/president has wasted this man's career by not building him a reliable defense, you know, one that actually stops the other team and not just "plays with a lead". I don't look at the wins as something to hang the hat on, to me it's a reminder that as a team the Colts have underachieved and it's thanks in large part to Polian not balancing this roster. IMO, the time to start building a D was after Miami ran it completely down their throats in the playoffs, where a relative no name RB gained over 200 yards and laid the foundation of "keepaway football" for game planning the Colts, this was like 11 years ago, and now fast forward to today and the only things that have changed is the talent level of the team and that is a direct failure of Polian to properly evaluate, adapt and adjust this team to address weaknesses

Your approach is the definition of insanity, doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. We have lived through and witnessed enough of the "Polian Era" to know what we are going to get with him, marginal talent in the trenches and overpaid skill players, it is simply time to move in a different direction.