Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sergio Brown

John Waylon

First of all, good on you my man. You had one hell of a game yesterday. 

But there in lies the dilemma. What if he continues to play at that rate? Or what if he continues to out-produce Landry?

I mean, I don't know if the coaches would continue to start him over Landry or not. We're financially committed to Landry. 

But Brown had a better game in one start then Landry has since he got here. (I cannot recall a game in Landry's time here where he was as effective as Brown was yesterday.)

It's a good problem to have, no doubt, but many are already having buyers remorse over Landry and this surely will fuel it.

I'm excited to see what Brown can do on Thursday night.

I believe its a good dilemma to have, to say the least.  With that being said,  I believe if Brown continues to produce with results like this, he will be rewarded with more playing time.  At the very least, through one game, we know we have a capable back-up.  I'm all for problems like these versus worrying about the oline (knock on wood)  <-- see what I had to do there!

Screw financially committed, we can cut Landry after the season if need be. If Brown shows he can consistently play at this level he better keep the job even when Landry gets back. They've shown their not scared to shuffle the Center position which had much better play than what Landry was bringing to our safety position.

I'd like to keep Brown at safety (if this game wasn't a fluke) and see Landry tried at situational nickel LB, I think he'd be an ok to solid run stuffer and he'd be much better in coverage than our LBs.

But there in lies the dilemma. What if he continues to play at that rate? Or what if he continues to out-produce Landry?

I mean, I don't know if the coaches would continue to start him over Landry or not. We're financially committed to Landry. 

But Brown had a better game in one start then Landry has since he got here. (I cannot recall a game in Landry's time here where he was as effective as Brown was yesterday.)

It's a good problem to have, no doubt, but many are already having buyers remorse over Landry and this surely will fuel it.

Depending on how much money the colts would save if im the colts I would consider cutting Landry at the end of the season.

I liked what Brown did yesterday and he definitely played better than Landry ever has in a Colts uniform. If we cut Landry after June 1st next year we save 4M and take a 1.75M dead hit. In 2016 we'd save 6M and take the same dead money. I say cut him in the summer and get some room for extensions for our good players.

I liked what Brown did yesterday and he definitely played better than Landry ever has in a Colts uniform. If we cut Landry after June 1st next year we save 4M and take a 1.75M dead hit. In 2016 we'd save 6M and take the same dead money. I say cut him in the summer and get some room for extensions for our good players.

That's the problem. I seem to recall Landry's deal being pretty unfriendly against that.

Nevermind. lol. I must be thinking someone else had a largely guaranteed deal.

Cherilus got a lot of guaranteed money and if we were to cut him it would be in 2016 after June 1st to save 7M on his 9.9M contract.

Yeah, I know Cherilus did, and Walden's deal is pretty much fully guaranteed for a season after a certain date in the offseason. But it wasn't either of them. Could it be RJF? 

Yeah, I know Cherilus did, and Walden's deal is pretty much fully guaranteed for a season after a certain date in the offseason. But it wasn't either of them. Could it be RJF? 

No other big signing bonuses. Just Cherilus and Landry. And just to make sure you're not confused by what Peytonator said, if we cut Landry after this year, it's a total cap penalty of $3.75m. But we could designate him as a post-June 1 release and split that in half, between 2015 and 2016. I don't see any real need to do that, as cap space is a collective figure, not necessarily a one year figure. The way things stand right now, we have a cap figure of $107m in 2015, and we're in position to roll forward somewhere around $10m. If the cap is $140m, then we'll have $40m in cap space, so I don't know if we'd need to bother with a post-June 1 release for Landry.

I agree with anything you said.

However, if the current pattern follows, Landry will be back.  Ask AQ Shipley about that policy.

One game and he played very good. He was the guy who was lost coverage wise in 2012 (i think it was 2012)  that game Shorts III broke for the winning TD late. he has really improved and has become a safety we could plug in. If he shows more of what he did vs the ravens he will have really earned that starting spot and Landry will more than likely be cut in the offseason. i forgot his contract details but wasn't it cap friendly after the first year?

I expect Brown to play well during this suspension. From what i have seen he will get better. Fitzpatrick usually throws a few ints. I would not be surprised if Brown gets one Thursday.

I hope he can keep it up but before we start cutting players it was just one game. I am not a big fan of Landry's and being a die hard Irish fan that would put me squarely in Brown's corner but still just one game.

I think he can and will continue the same type of play we got from him yesterday. He was asking for this chance I expect him to make the most of it. After 4 games I think we will have a much better sample of what he can do. Players can improve. 

One game and he played very good. He was the guy who was lost coverage wise in 2012 (i think it was 2012) that game Shorts III broke for the winning TD late. he has really improved and has become a safety we could plug in. If he shows more of what he did vs the ravens he will have really earned that starting spot and Landry will more than likely be cut in the offseason. i forgot his contract details but wasn't it cap friendly after the first year?

I expect Brown to play well during this suspension. From what i have seen he will get better. Fitzpatrick usually throws a few ints. I would not be surprised if Brown gets one Thursday.

Sergio Brown never should have been covering Shorts in the first place. Terrible matchup.

Satele vs Shipley

McGlynn vs Reitz

Richardson vs ... anyone, really

Who won those depth chart battles?... See a trend here?

I would hope the coaching staff would start the best player, regardless of level the of investment... but looking at how they've handled things in the past and the present, I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. To their credit, they did bench Richardson last season in favor of Donald Brown.  However, they continue to start him this year when Bradshaw is obviously the better back at every phase of the game. Seems like they're more concerned with giving 'their guys' every opportunity to prove that they were right, rather than playing the guys who give us the best chance to win

Satele vs Shipley

McGlynn vs Reitz

Richardson vs ... anyone, really

Who won those depth chart battles?... See a trend here?

I would hope the coaching staff would start the best player, regardless of level the of investment... but looking at how they've handled things in the past and the present, I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. To their credit, they did bench Richardson last season in favor of Donald Brown. However, they continue to start him this year when Bradshaw is obviously the better back at every phase of the game. Seems like they're more concerned with giving 'their guys' every opportunity to prove that they were right, rather than playing the guys who give us the best chance to win

I think they are trying to keep Bradshaw healthy. The two back rotation is working fine. No need to mess with it.

Its a good situation to have. i think they see what Brown can do these next few games and depending upon performance you know they may deem Landry Expendable. Granted i believe once he comes back from suspension Landry still gets the knod to start unless Brown gets like several Interceptions in the next few games.

I know it's only 1 game, but it sure was great to see Brown play like a starter, especially in light of negative comments made by some posters who imagine themselves to be talent scouts. Go Brown!

It is just not 1 game.Hes been solid special teams comes up with big plays there in games.

Laaron Landry is absolutely horrible and has been for his entire career.

He's made a living off of a couple of big hits on Youtube and a steroid-induced physique. 

I would be more than happy if he doesn't play for the Colts again.

Not horrible he is good in the run game,just gets beat way too much in passing game.

If Sergio continues to play well then I believe Landry will become a situational player.