Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

LaRon Landry suspended 4 games for PED use [Merge]

MTC

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as this sucks....and yes it does, bc Landry was not horrible...how bad does it look that we didn't re-sign Bethea? He is playing pretty damn well for the 49ers. Everyone here said he was done, had too much mileage, etc. But I watched the game yesterday and he came up big...Looks pretty solid to me, though I haven't watched all his games.

PED violations come with a four game suspension on a first offense. Steroids, stimulants, or HGH. I'm not sure if HGH testing has started yet.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11542076/nfl-union-ok-new-performance-enhancing-drug-policy-human-growth-hormone-testing

Can we get out of his contract because of the suspension? I know we can cut him but he dead money makes no sense. Can we make this work in our favor?

He certainly isn't worth what he is getting paid. I know we don't have much behind him but I would be a great way to get out of a bad contract.

Right, can't cut him now. He's a vested veteran, his salary for 2014 is guaranteed. I mean, we can cut him, but it wouldn't save us anything. And we'd still have a cap penalty of $3.5m in 2015. 

By the way, while that cap penalty isn't exactly shrug worthy, it's still a cap savings of $2.25m. And it gets rid of $7.75m in 2016. Again, I'm not thinking that he gets cut, unless he's absolutely terrible once he comes back (or can't get back on the field because someone else is playing well in his place). 

You answered my question in this post thanks I just asked you about cutting him in a previous post

You answered my question in this post thanks I just asked you about cutting him in a previous post

Yeah, just to clarify that rule, his suspension voids future guaranteed money (of which there is none, in this case). But the signing bonus has already been paid, and must hit the cap. As it stands, that bonus is $1.75m/year (over four years, equaling his $7m signing bonus). Doesn't matter what happens in the future, money already paid must be accounted for.

We do get a $700K break on his salary this season, equal to his pay over the four weeks he's suspended.

I'm not really willing to say anything definitive to either end. I just feel the logic of BpG's statements to be quite sound. 

Mathis lost his best number booster, playing opposite of Freeney. There should be some offset between the position change and the loss of Freeney. I wouldn't expect him to pound out a very near record season due to the 3-4 scheme. 

I don't really know if Freeney was a "number booster" for Mathis. I mean, Freeney was always the "better" of the two in the stat department. Now all those stats are available for Mathis. 

As much as this sucks....and yes it does, bc Landry was not horrible...how bad does it look that we didn't re-sign Bethea? He is playing pretty damn well for the 49ers. Everyone here said he was done, had too much mileage, etc. But I watched the game yesterday and he came up big...Looks pretty solid to me, though I haven't watched all his games.

You can argue the same about Jerry Hughes, Tim Jennings, etc. The main thing is, his coverage was mediocre here and wasn't worth the 6m to us. Adams has as many or more ints than Bethea did last year 4 games into the season. You may say those were lucky, but that is just it. We've never even really had those right place, right time turnovers. Besides, Landry started next to Bethea, if he was here, we would still be asking who is starting, because I doubt we would have Adams.

We are just rabid football fans and that means our sense of moral outrage is a function of the importance of the player to our team. If Luck was busted for PEDs, DUI and airing his willy in front of a senior citizen -- all in one day, we would "believe" any excuses he threw out. Same thing with Mathis and his steroid-masking drug. Besides, we like them -- even though we don't know them.

That's a fair statement, cheers.

I don't really know if Freeney was a "number booster" for Mathis. I mean, Freeney was always the "better" of the two in the stat department. Now all those stats are available for Mathis. 

Freeney demanded a team plan against him. He was often double teamed. When you send extra men to a flank, the opposite flank should be deemed as weaker. When we got rid of Freeney, I actually expected Mathis' numbers to decline, as he was then the only serious rush threat we had left. Instead, his numbers went up. 

I'm not saying Mathis isn't as good as his numbers suggest. Only that, it's too much of a coincidence that he almost set a vaunted sack record the same year he later gets busted using a banned substance. 

Freeney demanded a team plan against him. He was often double teamed. When you send extra men to a flank, the opposite flank should be deemed as weaker. When we got rid of Freeney, I actually expected Mathis' numbers to decline, as he was then the only serious rush threat we had left. Instead, his numbers went up. 

I'm not saying Mathis isn't as good as his numbers suggest. Only that, it's too much of a coincidence that he almost set a vaunted sack record the same year he later gets busted using a banned substance. 

I'm not disagreeing with you: but what I will say is that there are a ton of variables. PEDs don't create skill. Do they make you faster, and stronger? Yeah, but look at LaRon Landry. You can be as big and as strong as you want- but you still have to have the skill behind it to make it work.

Well, again at one time I would have agreed with you.  However I have since come to the conclusion that the player next to Mathis is far more important than the guy on the other side of the line from Mathis.  With Freeney on one end and Mathis on the other end, but no one of consequence at the 2 DT spots, the other team can go one on one with both DT's using 2 out of their 3 interior OL.  The other OL (either a OG or C) can help doubleteam on one side and then you have backs and TE's that can help chip and double on the other side.  

However, if there are 2 effective DT's in the middle, then odds are the other team has to use their 3 interior OL to block the 2 DT's, leaving no other OL to help double Mathis.  All they have available is the backs and TE's.  In a wonderful world, which has happened a few times, the 2 DT's both command double teams so all 3 interior OL plus a back or TE has to help to account for the 2 DTs.  

At this point it doesn't matter who the edge rusher is on the other end as far as Mathis is concerned.  It could be Walden who might be taken out one on one by the RT, but that has no effect on Mathis' pass rush.  It's the 2 guys in the middle that help occupy the interior OL and possibly even a RB or TE that helps create the best matchup for Mathis.

Bethea is still the same average player he was when he left here, he just has a better defense around him to hide his flaw just a little bit more

I'm not disagreeing with you: but what I will say is that there are a ton of variables. PEDs don't create skill. Do they make you faster, and stronger? Yeah, but look at LaRon Landry. You can be as big and as strong as you want- but you still have to have the skill behind it to make it work.

100% agree. 

Adding to that, what Mathis ingested may not have helped him one iota. As well, it is entirely possible he's being honest and he truly wasn't aware he ingested a banned substance. It's entirely possible he was, in fact, only trying to help give his wife a child. Unlikely IMO, but possible, and who are we to judge.....I suppose. 

Anyone know much about Dewey McDonald?? To me the guy looks about as jacked as Landry and he does look like a physical freak of sorts... Who knows if the guy may be any good...

He listed @ 6"0 220 which isn't small by any means. Some guy called in on 1070 the fan stating he reminds him of Sean Taylor. He didn't state why though.

Anyone know much about Dewey McDonald?? To me the guy looks about as jacked as Landry and he does look like a physical freak of sorts... Who knows if the guy may be any good...

He listed @ 6"0 220 which isn't small by any means. Some guy called in on 1070 the fan stating he reminds him of Sean Taylor. He didn't state why though.

Dewey was solid in preseason. Nothing to set the world on fire, but solid. Young player so he'll definitely grow. Hopefully gets some reps come Sunday and not be on the inactive list

Then we need a pass rush. Pass rush covers the flaws in your secondary

We need that too.  But realistically we need both.  

The defense is heavily flawed in both pass rush and the secondary (mainly safeties, CB's are fine) and that's something I worry about when we are going up against competent quarterbacks.  

Love his size....can hit you.  Burley had looked better for sure....and he was traded as we know to Seattle.  I do like Dewey!  I may night like him next week... haha

Well, again at one time I would have agreed with you.  However I have since come to the conclusion that the player next to Mathis is far more important than the guy on the other side of the line from Mathis.  With Freeney on one end and Mathis on the other end, but no one of consequence at the 2 DT spots, the other team can go one on one with both DT's using 2 out of their 3 interior OL.  The other OL (either a OG or C) can help doubleteam on one side and then you have backs and TE's that can help chip and double on the other side.  

However, if there are 2 effective DT's in the middle, then odds are the other team has to use their 3 interior OL to block the 2 DT's, leaving no other OL to help double Mathis.  All they have available is the backs and TE's.  In a wonderful world, which has happened a few times, the 2 DT's both command double teams so all 3 interior OL plus a back or TE has to help to account for the 2 DTs.  

At this point it doesn't matter who the edge rusher is on the other end as far as Mathis is concerned.  It could be Walden who might be taken out one on one by the RT, but that has no effect on Mathis' pass rush.  It's the 2 guys in the middle that help occupy the interior OL and possibly even a RB or TE that helps create the best matchup for Mathis.

Agreed. The whole point of the Rush position in our defensive front is to get the best pass rusher in one-on-ones, away from double teams. That's why he's generally on the weak side of the play. So far more important than the guy on the other side of the field is the guy right next to him, since he is commanding the attention of the guard on the weak side. It's your Rush backer vs a tackle the vast majority of the time, and there are few tackles in the NFL who can handle Robert Mathis one on one for an entire game.