Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Da'Rick and Whalen/Will Whalen make the roster? [Merge]

camcolts2621

It would be just ridiculous if Whalen gets cut this year.

I will lose all respect for Grigson and Pagano.

To keep Harvey? Or Saunders? Or some other bum?  Over Griff is just a joke.

That' what I was thinking. With that being said, we should always keep our best 53 on the field.... I think Griff belongs in the 50-53 range without a doubt. He's the kind of guy that fans (Especially Colts fans) cheer for! 

Harvey at fullback makes me cringe a little... having him on the field with Wayne, Hilton, Allen, and Fleener just wouldn't make any sense to me  :funny:

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think GW is pretty overrated by the board in all honesty.

Honestly... I can see why you say that. It's probably because you could care less whether we keep him. I think it's just because Colts fans (or most Colts fans) love hard work when they see it and they want it on the team as much as possible. 

Honestly... I can see why you say that. It's probably because you could care less whether we keep him. I think it's just because Colts fans (or most Colts fans) love hard work when they see it and they want it on the team as much as possible. 

He seems like a great guy he just hasn't done much on the field.

how do you know how hard he works?

Andrew luck always mentions Griff as a studious guy with the playbook and with what he's given. He straight up gets the job done. Everyone on the team knows he catches everything. At Stanford this dude came on the team as a walk on, made the team and increased his numbers every year. 

Really gritty. A gym rat. Not very athletic but he works hard. Very tough player. 

Dan Patrick?

Forget all our opinions, forget his measurables, forget the color of his skin.  Just evaluate him for what he's done on the field.

He is what he is, a dependable receiver and a pretty good punt returner.  Guys like that aren't easy to find.  Plenty with more potential.  Plenty of those who never get as good as he is now.

he has done very little and read how you all are talking

Yeah, all these clowns talking about how Whalen is going to lead the team in receptions, and how he's a Pro Bowl favorite, and he should be the missing link for the offense, and how are we gonna afford him when his contract is us? and all that nonsense, they are severely overrating Whalen...

/sarcasm

All I see are comments about how he should be the 5th or 6th WR -- not a top gun, not even a starter, but a deep reserve, really -- because he catches the ball well (two drops in 49 targets speaks to that), is dependable and hard working, can play special teams, and people are rooting for him. And that must really irk you, because you seem to hate him. That minor praise for your least favorite player of all time must seem like people are nominating him for the HOF in your mind.

Yeah, all these clowns talking about how Whalen is going to lead the team in receptions, and how he's a Pro Bowl favorite, and he should be the missing link for the offense, and how are we gonna afford him when his contract is us? and all that nonsense, they are severely overrating Whalen...

/sarcasm

All I see are comments about how he should be the 5th or 6th WR -- not a top gun, not even a starter, but a deep reserve, really -- because he catches the ball well (two drops in 49 targets speaks to that), is dependable and hard working, can play special teams, and people are rooting for him. And that must really irk you, because you seem to hate him. That minor praise for your least favorite player of all time must seem like people are nominating him for the HOF in your mind.

someone said they would lose all respect for grigs and pags if he were released.

Another dude agreed

Yeah, all these clowns talking about how Whalen is going to lead the team in receptions, and how he's a Pro Bowl favorite, and he should be the missing link for the offense, and how are we gonna afford him when his contract is us? and all that nonsense, they are severely overrating Whalen...

/sarcasm

All I see are comments about how he should be the 5th or 6th WR -- not a top gun, not even a starter, but a deep reserve, really -- because he catches the ball well (two drops in 49 targets speaks to that), is dependable and hard working, can play special teams, and people are rooting for him. And that must really irk you, because you seem to hate him. That minor praise for your least favorite player of all time must seem like people are nominating him for the HOF in your mind.

Well said. Whalen isn't expected to be a #1. He is expected to be a solid #4-5, which I think is within his ability. He's also the type of guy (assuming he is durable) that the Colts could keep around for the entirety of both Whalen and Luck's careers at a very good price, giving Luck a familiar face throughout his career and a guy who will almost always catch it. Those two qualities together -- I think that is definitely worth the price (which won't ever be unreasonable), and definitely worth a lot more than a guy who is an unknown but simply plays at a "position of need." You keep your best players on the field (and roster). Period.

We are always one play away from disaster.  Keep 7 go no full back (not likely) and only 3 TEs.

I see many predictions of us keeping 4 TEs....No please.

Agreed. I don't see the point of 4 TE's. I think Fleener, Allen, and Doyle was fine. Use Allen or Doyle to fill fullback if needed.

so they say. I wonder why?

Truth is nobody here knows how hard he works compared to the other guys

So in order for a fan to say he works hard, that fan needs to know how all the other players work and THEN Whalen needs to work harder then them in order to work hard?  That's tought.

There is some evidence that he works hard.

One, he was a walk on at Stanford and still earned his varsity letter as a true freshmen.  That doesn't happen without working hard.

He worked his way into the starting lineup at Stanford.  That doesn't happen without working hard.

Then he was an UDFA that made the team on the PS.  That doesn't happen without working hard.

He stuck on the practice squad and then got moved to the regular squad. That doesn't happen without working hard.

Once on the regular squad he got more passes for more 1st downs and as many TDs than any other receiver that was not on the 53 man roster to start the season (ie Brazill and Rogers). That doesn't happen without working hard.

He is getting ready to start his 3rd year in the league after going undrafted.  That doesn't happen without working hard.

No, saying Whalen is a hard worker is not a stretch by any means.

And then there are articles like this and this where others talk about his work ethic.

shows the absurd love affair with a guy that is borderline nfl talent

So because one poster stated that, then everyone that supports Whalen feels that way?  How exactly does that work?

And your posts show the absurd hatred for a guy that is a member of the Colts.

Besides, what Super said was correct, nobody is talking about Griff being the future #1 or superstar in the league.  Just that he is a dependable, hard working player that is good to have on the team. 

So because one poster stated that, then everyone that supports Whalen feels that way?  How exactly does that work?

And your posts show the absurd hatred for a guy that is a member of the Colts.

Besides, what Super said was correct, nobody is talking about Griff being the future #1 or superstar in the league.  Just that he is a dependable, hard working player that is good to have on the team. 

Not only that, he's EARNED his spot on the team. He's been no worse than the 4th best WR on the roster, ahead of Moncrief, and probably ahead of Rogers (except that Rogers has that big play ability). And he's a sure-handed punt returner, which is underrated until you see Josh Lenz screw it up.

someone said they would lose all respect for grigs and pags if he were released.

Another dude agreed

Not in this thread.

And that isn't exactly "you all," like you said in the post that I quoted.

Just hate him openly. Don't try to make it about other people overrating him. Just embrace your own hatred of Griff Whalen.

goooooood-let-the-hate-flow-through-you.

so they say. I wonder why?

Truth is nobody here knows how hard he works compared to the other guys

I liked this post, just so I could unlike it.

Is your theory that there is some conspiracy to paint Griff Whalen as a hard worker, so as to satisfy the masses that are already in love with him?

Griff is a serviceable receiver, he has pretty good hands, does well in traffic & doesn't fumble & last year he averaged 10 yards a reception on like 24 receptions or so, plus he can be used in the return game so he has value on ST...

anyways with some uncertainty with Wayne & Hicks I think you make sure there is room for 6 receivers going forward, I think with adding Moncrief, keeping Griff & Rogers & developing them for another season helps the team now & moving forward...

I like Griff as he is a dependable chain mover, but he will be one of the last guys to make the 53.

Griff comes up short of the chains often do to his lack of speed.

Hopefully our pass blocking is better so Griff will have time to take another step or 2.

If rosters were 3 guys longer i think he would one of them if i chose.

Dan Patrick?

Forget all our opinions, forget his measurables, forget the color of his skin.  Just evaluate him for what he's done on the field.

He is what he is, a dependable receiver and a pretty good punt returner.  Guys like that aren't easy to find.  Plenty with more potential.  Plenty of those who never get as good as he is now.

Only kidding. I do think the intangibles aspect of his game is overrated. He doesnt have glue for hands or really crisp routes or anything.

He's a decent player and it won't break my heart if he's cut.

no

No as in "no," or no as in "I'm gonna take some time to think about it, and then maybe I'll formulate a thoughtful response later"?

Because if it's the second option, I'm eagerly awaiting your expressions, and then maybe we can have an enriching back and forth about it.