Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

No QB Controversy in Cincy

PrincetonTiger

Yep, 6 year $115 million extension for Andy Dalton

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/04/bengals-reach-six-year-extension-deal-with-andy-dalton/

Most likely, the Bengals miss the playoffs because the loss of an OC and DC simultaneously is hard to withstand. Just like Flacco in year 1 after his extension, I expect the Bengals to barely miss the playoffs.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/04/bengals-reach-six-year-extension-deal-with-andy-dalton/

Most likely, the Bengals miss the playoffs because the loss of an OC and DC simultaneously is hard to withstand. Just like Flacco in year 1 after his extension, I expect the Bengals to barely miss the playoffs.

Thanks for the details

I'm sure it will be a Kaepernick style deal with little guaranteed money. You have to pay him though, if they are banking on AJ McCaron they will be very upset. 

That team as a unit is too good right now to start over, especially with the likes of McCaron at backup...

Good grief. The market for a quarterback is getting insane.

Definitely like the deal. He's probably getting slightly overpaid, but that's the norm in the NFL with these QB contracts these days. The Bengals have to lock him up for a long time, as he is improving every year and the only knock on him is he hasn't won a playoff game. He'll keep the Bengals a winning team, and if he can take them a step further, then they will be a force, even for teams like the Broncos, Pats, and Colts.

I'm sure it will be a Kaepernick style deal with little guaranteed money. You have to pay him though, if they are banking on AJ McCaron they will be very upset. 

That team as a unit is too good right now to start over, especially with the likes of McCaron at backup...

If I was in the A.J. McCarron I would be upset

Some felt that he could take over for Dalton or at least be given a chance to compete

I have no doubt this contract is in direct correlation to what McCaron has shown them in camp. If some did feel that was the case, I wasn't among them.  AJ McCaron left so many plays on the field at Alabama, he was a marginal pro prospect. 

Some felt that he could take over for Dalton or at least be given a chance to compete

In all honesty Dalton's stats are not that bad. I don't think he is worth such a contract... but if they add a few more pieces on offense other than just A.J. Green they could do some good even in a tough division. 

Dalton has made the playoffs all three years he has been at Cinny 30-18. He just hasn't won a playoff game yet. The thought of McCaron taking his job is laughable to me. Peyton didn't win a playoff game until his sixth year in the league.

They need more options. Bernard will help but on the outside you put a guy over the top of AJ Green and they have nothing. They did nothing to improve it this year besides hope Marvin Jones has a break out year.

They did draft Eifert last year at TE which should help. To me his situation is a lot like Stafford's in Detroit.  Dalton gets in trouble trying to force the ball into AJ because he doesn't have much else. Hopefully Eifert will become a good piece for the Bengals. 

Plus AJ Green wanted him back as well who they need to resign too. That might have been a little more difficult with McCaron back there. I never saw that guy as a pro same as McElroy

Dalton has made the playoffs all three years he has been at Cinny 30-18. He just hasn't won a playoff game yet. The thought of McCaron taking his job is laughable to me. Peyton didn't win a playoff game until his sixth year in the league.

They need more options. Bernard will help but on the outside you put a guy over the top of AJ Green and they have nothing. They did nothing to improve it this year besides hope Marvin Jones has a break out year.

They did draft Eifert last year at TE which should help. To me his situation is a lot like Stafford's in Detroit. Dalton gets in trouble trying to force the ball into AJ because he doesn't have much else. Hopefully Eifert will become a good piece for the Bengals.

Plus AJ Green wanted him back as well who they need to resign too. That might have been a little more difficult with McCaron back there. I never saw that guy as a pro same as McElroy

He hasn't just lost in the playoffs, he's been god awful in em.

So was Peyton Manning in his 1st three playoff games 1 TD, 2 Ints and 47.6% completion percentage along with 558 yards passing(To Daltons 718, 1 TD and 6 picks and 57% passing). I think your not taking into account that somebody has to throw those TD's, Green would still have the talent without Dalton but it takes a good QB to get those star WR's the ball, Dalton is an improving QB, He is already pretty good

Too much money, but on the other hand I definitely think people have overblown how bad Dalton is-- especially last season. In response to Nobody, he's definitely better than Mark Sanchez was at any point. Like others have pointed out, he has only been the league for 3 years, and while he has struggled mightily in those games (no other way to put it), I don't think that just because a young QB struggles in the playoffs in his first few seasons that means he is a an abject failure. If he is still performing that poorly even this year (assuming Cincy makes the playoffs), then I may start to get concerned. He's also had some very good performances throughout his young career.

I do think it was too much money for him, but on the other hand, it looks like this is what is happening with the QB position in general. Who knows how much the Colts will have to pay Luck after his rookie contract is up.

Dalton has made the playoffs all three years he has been at Cinny 30-18. He just hasn't won a playoff game yet. The thought of McCaron taking his job is laughable to me. Peyton didn't win a playoff game until his sixth year in the league.

They did draft Eifert last year at TE which should help. To me his situation is a lot like Stafford's in Detroit.  Dalton gets in trouble trying to force the ball into AJ because he doesn't have much else. Hopefully Eifert will become a good piece for the Bengals. 

Plus AJ Green wanted him back as well who they need to resign too. That might have been a little more difficult with McCaron back there. I never saw that guy as a pro same as McElroy

Not that Manning didn't have his problems early on, but the Bengals have one of the top rosters in the AFC....they should be in the playoffs.

Wouldn't surprise me if the offense improved with Hue Jackson in charge

Not that Manning didn't have his problems early on, but the Bengals have one of the top rosters in the AFC....they should be in the playoffs.

They can basically get out of the contract in 2 yrs if they want is how I understood the contract that doesn't seem like a bad deal to me.

So was Peyton Manning in his 1st three playoff games 1 TD, 2 Ints and 47.6% completion percentage along with 558 yards passing(To Daltons 718, 1 TD and 6 picks and 57% passing). I think your not taking into account that somebody has to throw those TD's, Green would still have the talent without Dalton but it takes a good QB to get those star WR's the ball, Dalton is an improving QB, He is already pretty good

1:2 TD:INT ratio vs 1:6 dude. 1:2 isn't awful over 3 games. 1:6? Absolutely terrible.

Mediocre QB's getting way too much money these days. 

At this point having a mediocre QB must suck.  Too good for you to dump them or let them walk but still making just couple million short of an elite guy.  Almost no savings worth mentioning from which to try and build a better team around them.

If elite QB salaries don't increase to compensate or mediocre QB salaries don't start decreasing then the SB will start to be owned by elite QB's only since there is very little in pay difference between them and a mediocre player.

1:2 TD:INT ratio vs 1:6 dude. 1:2 isn't awful over 3 games. 1:6? Absolutely terrible.

Andy Dalton: 0-3, 70-123, 56.91%, 718 yds, 1 TD, 6 Ints, 5.84 Y/A, 56.2 rating.

Andrew Luck: 1-2, 77-140, 55.00%, 1062 yds, 6 TD, 8 Ints, 7.59 Y/A, 70.8 rating.

Luck has been better so far even though he's thrown two more picks, but not by a large margin. Neither one of them have covered themselves in glory so far as playoff quarterbacks outside of Luck's second half vs the Chiefs.

If three games is too small a sample size to make sweeping judgements about Luck, shouldn't the same be said for Dalton?

He has not been very good in the big games period playoffs. MNF TNF you name it. The way I understood the contract from ESPN radio Cinny can basically get out in 2yrs. See if he can get over the hump and maybe draft a QB that you can develop in the meantime. They really need a #2 WR though hopefully Jones breaks out this year.

Wouldn't surprise me if the offense improved with Hue Jackson in charge

Until last year with when they drafted  Bernard and Eifert they had no one at the skill positions besides AJ Green. Even now Marvin Jones and Mohamed Sanu are their options at WR.. I would expect Bernard and Eifert having a year experience would help the offense and drafting Hill I think was a good move. I am not sure why they didn't address the number 2 WR somewhere along the line though.

Until last year with when they drafted  Bernard and Eifert they had no one at the skill positions besides AJ Green. Even now Marvin Jones and Mohamed Sanu are their options at WR.. I would expect Bernard and Eifert having a year experience would help the offense and drafting Hill I think was a good move. I am not sure why they didn't address the number 2 WR somewhere along the line though.

Marvin Jones had 10 td's last year, He had a great year really based on targets, Green just got 100 more targets then him....Which should be a given that's going to happen most years, The Bengals have to run the ball better then they did last season, They ran it 481 times but only ran it for 3.6 yards per carry (27th best...below the league average last year 4.04 if I added and divided right)...They need more balance (I expect the Bengals drafted Russell Bodine to help with running the ball better....Who I wanted in the draft)

Why do people hate Dalton so much?

That kid is terrific. He's had some bad games in the playoffs sure but he's got them there, and he's done way more Palmer did in his entire career there, already in just 3 short years.

If Brown wasn't so cheap with the team and actually spent money, or better yet got the kid a real coach, he'd be a top 10 QB.

Marvin Jones had 10 td's last year, He had a great year really based on targets, Green just got 100 more targets then him....Which should be a given that's going to happen most years, The Bengals have to run the ball better then they did last season, They ran it 481 times but only ran it for 3.6 yards per carry (27th best...below the league average last year 4.04 if I added and divided right)...They need more balance (I expect the Bengals drafted Russell Bodine to help with running the ball better....Who I wanted in the draft)

Jones 144 and 4 td's in one game and 6 games with 2 catches or less. He was anything but consistent would just disapper. Although he did show up in the playoff game.  He could be a good sleeper in fantasy ball it is his 3rd yr. sleeper alert sleeper alert.  

I liked Bodine too. They will run the ball better Law Firm is getting old(29) he had a down year last year. New blood rookie last year Bernard is explosive then they drafted the kid Hill from LSU to be their banger I would expect him  take over for the law firm by week 4 if not before.

Why do people hate Dalton so much?

That kid is terrific. He's had some bad games in the playoffs sure but he's got them there, and he's done way more Palmer did in his entire career there, already in just 3 short years.

If Brown wasn't so cheap with the team and actually spent money, or better yet got the kid a real coach, he'd be a top 10 QB.

A second option at WR wouldn't hurt either unless they are sure this is the year Marvin Jones come into his own. They were pretty bleak at skill positions until last year when they drafted Bernard and Eifiert. They grabbed Hill this yr from LSU to be the thunder to Bernard's lightening.

I don't get the hate either in the playoffs every year he has been in the league in one of the toughest divisions in football.