Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Does it bother anyone else when Indy and Baltimore Colts records are combined?

Hoosierdome93

I Just believe they are 2 totally separate teams. I just witnessed an argument over who was the Colts best ever Quarterback. Peyton, Unites or Bert Jones. I believe that Baltimores records ended in 83 and Unites was the best to play for that team. Indy started in 84 and Peyton is the best so far (Luck will overtake) Do the Titans and Oilers get combined also? Are they considered separate or not?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Before my time also but I'm fine with it being combined. Other teams are plus it was/still under Irsay ownership when they moved.

As long as our name is the Colts it will always be combined! Don't let it bother you to much! ;)

No it's still the same franchise. It's just played in two cities. No different than the Oakland then LA then Oakland Raiders or LA and now St. Louis Rams or Chicago then St. Louis and now Arziona Cardinals.

Just because a team plays in a city doesn't mean the records only belong to the city or you would have the Texans breaking old Oilers marks even though other then playing Houston the two franchises are not connected in anyway. They are called franchise or team records for a reason. They belong to the team and a team doesn't just stop existing because it changes cities. If they elect to bring their franchise history with them it's their right.

There are many Colts fans living across the country who have no ties to either Indy or Baltimore. Speaking for those many fans of the Colts, my answer for you is, heck yes we care. Johnny is my favorite team's all time great QB even though his hatred of Bob Irsay led him to believe exactly what you are spouting.

I realize you are young but please don't start a thread about Colts history without knowing the guy's name is Unitas.

Yes Bud Adams kept the Oiler history, Tennessee actually was called the Tennessee Oilers the first two years they moved there. Warren Moon has most of their passing records

Sure does, and hopefully he always will - one of the best QB's in history.

There are many Colts fans living across the country who have no ties to either Indy or Baltimore. Speaking for those many fans of the Colts, my answer for you is, heck yes we care. Johnny is my favorite team's all time great QB even though his hatred of Bob Irsay led him to believe exactly what you are spouting.

I realize you are young but please don't start a thread about Colts history without knowing the guy's name is Unitas.

Right. I'm from Ohio, no allegiance to MD or Indy. But a Colts fan for over 50 years.

BTW, it was probably auto correct on Unitas.

You guys hear that?

It's the sound of Old Crow skipping his way here to regale us of how the Colts name leaving Baltimore ruined everything.

Think of the children.

You guys know how I feel about this. The move happened, whatever , but I would have just retired the Baltimore records , and let Indy start their own history in 1984. It just makes for a cleaner break, in my opinion. Except for three good Bert Jones led years in the 1970's , Irsay only had three winning years out of twelve after buying the team in 1972. Unlike Bud Adams, he had absolutely no part of the Baltimore Colt Championship history which all occurred before 1971. He was simply an air conditioner salesman who breezed off with some great history.

Topics never being let go bother me. This reminds me of the Asian dude who wouldn't forgive the teacher in Karate Kid.

Let.......................it.............................freaking.....................go.

Elsa from Frozen ... although 'freaking' was never said

I Just believe they are 2 totally separate teams. I just witnessed an argument over who was the Colts best ever Quarterback. Peyton, Unites or Bert Jones. I believe that Baltimores records ended in 83 and Unites was the best to play for that team. Indy started in 84 and Peyton is the best so far (Luck will overtake) Do the Titans and Oilers get combined also? Are they considered separate or not?

They are not two separate teams, they are the same team. If you wanted them to be a separate team you would have to give the name back to Baltimore like the Ravens did for Cleveland. I am sure that some QB will overtake Peyton someday. Luck only has a couple of years in. Come back when he is at ten years and we will talk. Right now, Peyton is till putting distance between them in the battle for the best QB of all time.

I say,New city - New history !! Let's look at the ravens,they still claim the Colts up until 1984, do they also claim all of the Browns history as well ??

The Ravens don't have the Browns or Colts history technically. Indy has the Colts, Cleveland the Browns. Now that being said, excuse us for wanting to be a part of the history of the Baltimore Colts for thirty years. Like you guys, we attended games, and put a lot of emotions into each Sunday.

You know , some people ask me, Old Crow, why are you here ? Well , besides it being an interesting forum , I'm kind of like your Natty Boh swilling half- brother from Baltimore. We are somewhat of a family, unlike Patriot fans, albeit a somewhat dysfunctional one. As long as our records have Baltimore - Indianapolis Colts on them , we will have that bond. Doesn't that warm your heart ?

You guys know how I feel about this. The move happened, whatever , but I would have just retired the Baltimore records , and let Indy start their own history in 1984. It just makes for a cleaner break, in my opinion. Except for three good Bert Jones led years in the 1970's , Irsay only had three winning years out of twelve after buying the team in 1972. Unlike Bud Adams, he had absolutely no part of the Baltimore Colt Championship history which all occurred before 1971. He was simply an air conditioner salesman who breezed off with some great history.

Well, i guess you should have bought the team.

Well, i guess you should have bought the team.

I wish I had. I've never said the elder Bob was a bad businessman. He was quite good, and his son also has the knack. I wouldn't put either in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, but I could make a case for them in the Businessman's Hall of Fame. He bought the LA Rams and swapped them for the Baltimore Colts for 12 million, and an air conditioning unit for Rosenbloom's house. What a deal !

I was a fan of the Baltimore Colts, too..so it doesnt bother me. It was like a team I liked moving to my state.

(Now if the Jags could just move to South Bend!!)

I enjoy the Unitas-Manning debate...Both were considered the leaders of a (then) new wave of QB style

Irsay didn't buy the Colts. He originally owned the Rams and traded the Rams for the Colts

No matter what your opinion is of the Baltimore-Indy team is it really don't mean anything. Jim inherited the Colts from Robert. End of story. Getting butt hurt and having a hate thing is all personal. Owning a NFL team is a rich man's thing. All of us can cry and whine about a great number of things but a NFL franchise is the least of worries. 

It is just like any other business.  It is the same franchise/business, just because the Colts moved to a different city does not mean it is a different business.  There are business' moving all the time from one city to another, one state to another or even one country to another.  That doesn't mean that they start all over with their respective histories.

I wasn't alive to watch Unitas, and I wasn't a Colts fan until I had been to a few games with Manning under center. I have no dog in the fight. 

That said, my opinion is this. If the franchise switches names, then the records should belong to the old franchise. IE Thunder/Sonics, Browns/Ravens, Titans/Oilers...

Do you think anyone on this board doesn't know how you feel about this issue? It's every third post you make.

House-"Hey Crow, what do you think of the weather today?"

Crow-"Well Jim Irsay should change the name of the Colts because it's not appropriate to Indiana, and also his daddy stole my childhood."

They're the Colts.   It's a team, not a city.  I didn't really pay much attention to the Colts when they were in Baltimore as I was a Steelers fan in the 70's (yeah, I know).   I started to like the Bears when I moved to Indy the first time.  I was in the 6th grade when they moved to Indy ( I ignored football for several years) but I really didn't root for the Colts until they got Peyton Manning. The name "Baltimore Colts" means no more to me than the "St. Louis Cardinals."  The latter is now in Arizona and the former is in Indianapolis.  

I do believe that the Baltimore Colts should be with the Indianapolis Colts' exhibit in Canton as it is the same team.  (Haven't been but planning a trip soon).  

They're the Colts.   It's a team, not a city.  I didn't really pay much attention to the Colts when they were in Baltimore as I was a Steelers fan in the 70's (yeah, I know).   I started to like the Bears when I moved to Indy the first time.  I was in the 6th grade when they moved to Indy ( I ignored football for several years) but I really didn't root for the Colts until they got Peyton Manning. The name "Baltimore Colts" means no more to me than the "St. Louis Cardinals."  The latter is now in Arizona and the former is in Indianapolis.  

I do believe that the Baltimore Colts should be with the Indianapolis Colts' exhibit in Canton as it is the same team.  (Haven't been but planning a trip soon).  

Agree it is the Colts, When the Colts moved thought about changing teams, didn't like the dome, love the real grass & dirt, but the team and uniforms were the same thus decided to continue to root for the Colts, a lot of bad teams in there as well. Glad I continued to root for the HORSE SHOE!!

Do you think anyone on this board doesn't know how you feel about this issue? It's every third post you make.

House-"Hey Crow, what do you think of the weather today?"

Crow-"Well Jim Irsay should change the name of the Colts because it's not appropriate to Indiana, and also his daddy stole my childhood."

I don't think I brought that up on this thread. I'm just saying my opinion is they should retire records when a team leaves, that's all. Sorry you're upset your records always have a Baltimore in front of them. If you don't like it, have your owner retire them.

On the other topic, I haven't mentioned the move in a long time. It's not my fault your owner got himself in legal difficulties, but you try to link everything , and all comments into a Baltimore - Indy move thread. The other Irsay business is NFL news, like the Ray Rice affair. I haven't commented on this in a long time after I intellectually ran a pretender off the forum by using geometric logic.

They're the Colts. It's a team, not a city. I didn't really pay much attention to the Colts when they were in Baltimore as I was a Steelers fan in the 70's (yeah, I know). I started to like the Bears when I moved to Indy the first time. I was in the 6th grade when they moved to Indy ( I ignored football for several years) but I really didn't root for the Colts until they got Peyton Manning. The name "Baltimore Colts" means no more to me than the "St. Louis Cardinals." The latter is now in Arizona and the former is in Indianapolis.

I do believe that the Baltimore Colts should be with the Indianapolis Colts' exhibit in Canton as it is the same team. (Haven't been but planning a trip soon).

The Baltimore Colts name means everything to NFL history. Start with the greatest game ever played, to the historic loss in Super Bowl 3. The current incarnation , despite some great Manning years, still doesn't quite hold up to the earlier era.

I don't think I brought that up on this thread. I'm just saying my opinion is they should retire records when a team leaves, that's all. Sorry you're upset your records always have a Baltimore in front of them. If you don't like it, have your owner retire them.

On the other topic, I haven't mentioned the move in a long time. It's not my fault your owner got himself in legal difficulties, but you try to link everything , and all comments into a Baltimore - Indy move thread. The other Irsay business is NFL news, like the Ray Rice affair. I haven't commented on this in a long time after I intellectually ran a pretender off the forum by using geometric logic.

haha you don't honestly believe I care about the Baltimore records do you? It's a city. I could care less.

But you bring up the move on a constant weekly basis since you've been here. Or maybe you've already forgotten about the, "Raiders might relocate" thread. Unless 4 days constitutes a "long time." And the examples are endless.

Thus I knew you couldn't resist this thread. And you didn't.

haha you don't honestly believe I care about the Baltimore records do you? It's a city. I could care less.

But you bring up the move on a constant weekly basis since you've been here. Or maybe you've already forgotten about the, "Raiders might relocate" thread. Unless 4 days constitutes a "long time." And the examples are endless.

Thus I knew you couldn't resist this thread. And you didn't.

Of course it's going to come up on a Raiders moving thread, as Davis sueing the NFL to move to LA originally , opened the door for Irsay. Sorry when history you are apparently embarrassed about , creeps in. Otherwise, you would just comment one way or another about records linkage. However, you would rather challenge me and get me rolling about the Colts. Excuse me for defending myself. It's just an opinion, you don't have to like it. Obviously, I have a historical background on the subject, as all of us on the forum have certain talents and favorite types of threads. Do you expect me to remain silent when people roll out inaccurate facts or half-truths ? You apparently can't resist hammering me on any thread, along with a few of your well known contemporaries, and you didn't .

Of course it's going to come up on a Raiders moving thread, as Davis sueing the NFL to move to LA originally , opened the door for Irsay. Sorry when history you are apparently embarrassed about , creeps in. Otherwise, you would just comment one way or another about records linkage. However, you would rather challenge me and get me rolling about the Colts. Excuse me for defending myself. It's just an opinion, you don't have to like it. Obviously, I have a historical background on the subject, as all of us on the forum have certain talents and favorite types of threads. Do you expect me to remain silent when people roll out inaccurate facts or half-truths ? You apparently can't resist hammering me on any thread, along with a few of your well known contemporaries, and you didn't .

I have contemporaries? Oh please do tell lol.

It's no secret you love talking about this. No need to mask it by being the defender of all truth and justice that is the Baltimore Colts.

I just find it funny. Lots of people do. Because everyone knows. You were coming into this thread , despite saying nothing you haven't said dozens upon dozens of times, with or without me.

Speaking of a long time. Since you're playing the victim. How long has it been since I've mentioned your obsession with the move?

I do like how you went from "I haven't talked about it in a long time", to "Oh yeah well obviously I had to bring it up in a thread that had nothing to do with the Colts or Baltimore." Like the Colts are the only team to have moved ever.

Keep looking for hidden meanings and my, "embarrassments" though. It's funny that you think I care about the move a fraction of what you care.

Not many Baltimore records exist anymore anyway