Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton Manning Voted No.1 By The Players

King Colt

What was the most impressive aspect of Peyton Manning's 2013 season?

Was it the 55 touchdowns? The 5,477 passing yards? The unprecedented fifth MVP award? The third trip to the Super Bowl?

Perhaps the most amazing achievement was the timing of it all. Manning was the greatest quarterback on the planet at 37 years old in his 16th (16th!) NFL season. Manning mastered football's most vital position, an accomplishment that earned him the top spot on NFL Network's The Top 100 Players of 2014 countdown.

Manning finished ahead of Detroit Lions wide receiver Calvin Johnson, who landed in the top three for the third consecutive year. Tom Brady, Adrian Peterson (last year's No. 1) and LeSean McCoy rounded out the top five.

Way to go champ! Great in any uniform means great, all new surroundings and people and you remain The King-no surprise. Bless you and family and we all look forward to watching you rip it up in 2014.

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What was the most impressive aspect of Peyton Manning's 2013 season?

Was it the 55 touchdowns? The 5,477 passing yards? The unprecedented fifth MVP award? The third trip to the Super Bowl?

Perhaps the most amazing achievement was the timing of it all. Manning was the greatest quarterback on the planet at 37 years old in his 16th (16th!) NFL season. Manning mastered football's most vital position, an accomplishment that earned him the top spot on NFL Network's The Top 100 Players of 2014 countdown.

Manning finished ahead of Detroit Lions wide receiver Calvin Johnson, who landed in the top three for the third consecutive year. Tom Brady, Adrian Peterson (last year's No. 1) and LeSean McCoy rounded out the top five.

Way to go champ! Great in any uniform means great, all new surroundings and people and you remain The King-no surprise. Bless you and family and we all look forward to watching you rip it up in 2014.

Thanks for the great post. I agree 100% :thmup:

The positives did outweight the negatives last season for Peyton. He had a great year, and his numbers were probably helped by a horrid Denver D forcing more shootouts since it could not hold a lead and contribute with defensive scoring as much, IMO. Regardless, I have no ill will towards him and he deserved the No.1 spot based on the previous year for what he did for his team.

Mug his wideouts playing bump and run, prevent YAC and make Peyton look predictable without much mobility. A lot of teams know the philosophy but only a few could execute as well as the Seahawks with their personnel, IMO, and make him look predictable. Chargers and Patriots tried but Peyton controlled clock and time of possession in those 2 playoff games; it is safe to say the Broncos would not have sniffed the SB if not for Peyton. But the Seahawks were a total different ball of wax defensively. More than their CBs, it is their 2 safeties Chancellor and Earl Thomas that make that secondary really tick, IMO, with their outstanding reads and instincts.

There is something to be said about good teams playing the Seahawks a second time, it takes time to get used to their physicality and speed. First time, the Saints were shell shocked in Seattle's stadium but the second time, they were somewhat able to hang in there in the playoff game. Same for the 49ers too in their second regular season game and then the 3rd one in the NFCCG. Same for the Cardinals too in their second game vs the Seahawks that they pulled off the road win against Seahawks. The only one that beat them by adjusting on the fly the very first time they met them, you know it, our Indianapolis Colts where patience was the key after going down 0-12 and then making our runs with Luck and TY. :)

Yea that isn't surprising that he got #1 after his statistical performance last year, he certainly earned it.  I was actually really surprised how high LeSean McCoy made it on the list.  Two RBs in the top 5 players in the NFL is pretty crazy, especially with all of the talk about how the RB position is no longer what it once was and lost value ha

I was pleased to see that his peers still view Brady as a top 3 player in this league, even after his "down" year which really was only a down year statistically given that he lost 6 of his 7 top targets from the previous year.  The players pay attention, and they recognized what he was able to accomplish with no weapons around him, leading the league in comeback wins.

Kudos to all the top players, I suspect that its a greater honor to be recognized by your PEERS rather than sports writers, "journalists" and fans.  

Yea that isn't surprising that he got #1 after his statistical performance last year, he certainly earned it. I was actually really surprised how high LeSean McCoy made it on the list. Two RBs in the top 5 players in the NFL is pretty crazy, especially with all of the talk about how the RB position is no longer what it once was and lost value ha

I was pleased to see that his peers still view Brady as a top 3 player in this league, even after his "down" year which really was only a down year statistically given that he lost 6 of his 7 top targets from the previous year. The players pay attention, and they recognized what he was able to accomplish with no weapons around him, leading the league in comeback wins.

Kudos to all the top players, I suspect that its a greater honor to be recognized by your PEERS rather than sports writers, "journalists" and fans.

Well according to Donte Whitner the players don't vote on the top 100, NFL network does..he said only thing the players actually vote on is the Pro Bowl

More of the same old "look at our guy! look at our guy! look at our guy!"

Pat yourselves on the back, stats do count. He won't be winning another Super Bowl period, and hey Colts fans should be happy about this. One guy isn't your whole team. Packers fans absolutely did not want to see their ex-QB win another one without it being their team.

Pat yourselves on the back, stats do count. He won't be winning another Super Bowl period, and hey Colts fans should be happy about this. One guy isn't your whole team. Packers fans absolutely did not want to see their ex-QB win another one without it being their team.

Comparing Peyton to Brett Favre is a cardinal sin.  Unlike Favre, Peyton never had a flip-flop deal with retirement and didn't go out of his way for media attention like Favre.  Not only that, but Peyton wouldn't be as awkward and rude (for lack of a better term) with Luck as Favre was with Rodgers.  I know many Colts fans (including myself) that would have been very happy to see Peyton win the Super Bowl.

I didn't think it was possible to be wrong on so many levels in just five sentences ....

I dunno its very likely Manning could win another SB (or two) with the stacked team he has in Denver right now, and will certainly be in contention for the next several years.

I don't put a ton of weight onto stats and awards without context, but any award or recognition that is determined by your fellow players in the league is more meaningful than any AP awards, etc in my opinion.  If I was Manning, I'd probably be more proud of being #1 on this list than getting the NFL MVP last year.

55 TDs and 5,400 yards with a second string left tackle and a tight end who was only in his 4th season of organized football

....is still stunning to me.

A truly amazing season, something I'll chalk down as one of my top favorite memories from being an NFL fan. So fun to watch him and his team, the Denver Broncos. ...bittersweet as it is for me, a Colts fan.

What happened in the SB was shocking. The guy is truly snake-bitten, an unfair smudge on the legacy of Manning. 

INB4 your best buddy comes a knocking, and to be the only one to agree with you.

Well according to Donte Whitner the players don't vote on the top 100, NFL network does..he said only thing the players actually vote on is the Pro Bowl

I'd like to see that link....

Because according to the NFLN, it's entirely the players vote.    The NFLN just reveals the results....    period.

I dunno its very likely Manning could win another SB (or two) with the stacked team he has in Denver right now, and will certainly be in contention for the next several years.

I don't put a ton of weight onto stats and awards without context, but any award or recognition that is determined by your fellow players in the league is more meaningful than any AP awards, etc in my opinion.  If I was Manning, I'd probably be more proud of being #1 on this list than getting the NFL MVP last year.

A truly amazing season, something I'll chalk down as one of my top favorite memories from being an NFL fan. So fun to watch him and his team, the Denver Broncos. ...bittersweet as it is for me, a Colts fan.

What happened in the SB was shocking. The guy is truly snake-bitten, an unfair smudge on the legacy of Manning.

Another Super Bowl snake bitten? Come on he could never win the big games not as a Colt and not as a Bronco. He is a HOF one of the GOAT but he chokes in the playoffs. How many times did we win 12-14 games to go one and done? Pretty sure 9 times that is not snake bitten that is not being able to win when the money is one the line. Ask the Gators it was that way in college too.

Brady one and done 2x big Ben 2x Favre 3x to give an idea 9x is a huge number. That is one huge snake. I love the guy what he did for Indy but don't see why he gets a pass on not being able to win in the playoffs I would have to check but I'd bet over half the 9x he was the betting favorite and probably at home.

I know this isn't going to be popular but it is the truth blame the D Manning always wanted more weapons blame the weather oh wait that pesky dome. It is just the truth doesn't take away from anything he has done.;still a first ballot HOF still one of the GOAT

Another Super Bowl snake bitten? Come on he could never win the big games not as a Colt and not as a Bronco. He is a HOF one of the GOAT but he chokes in the playoffs. How many times did we win 12-14 games to go one and done? Pretty sure 9 times that is not snake bitten that is not being able to win when the money is one the line. Ask the Gators it was that way in college too.

He did win a SB and has been to a total of three, which by any reasonable measure, is a fantastic accomplishment. 

I'll summarize your entire post in a few sentences;

"Peyton can't win a big playoff game, except for all the times he did. Peyton can't win the Super Bowl, well, except for the time that he did."

Brady one and done 2x big Ben 2x Favre 3x to give an idea 9x is a huge number. That is one huge snake. I love the guy what he did for Indy but don't see why he gets a pass on not being able to win in the playoffs I would have to check but I'd bet over half the 9x he was the betting favorite and probably at home.

I know this isn't going to be popular but it is the truth blame the D Manning always wanted more weapons blame the weather oh wait that pesky dome. It is just the truth doesn't take away from anything he has done.;still a first ballot HOF still one of the GOAT

The guy has had crappy defenses his entire career except the one year when he won the Superbowl because somehow they came alive during the playoffs. Peyton makes whatever team he's on an instant SB contender. He did lose some playoff games/and SB's, but not all of those times were his fault. 

This idea of judging one player for winning a SB is just plain dumb. Who was the QB on the 85 Bears and how was that game won by the Bears? Defense. Is Bradshaw the greatest QB of all time because of his rings? Dan Marino is according to the Super Bowl stats, is a bum. Get off it. Was Tom Brady a member of a disorganized choir of Oakland Raider rejects?

If I was Manning, I'd probably be more proud of being #1 on this list than getting the NFL MVP last year.

I agree with that 100%. Much more of an honor to be recognized by your peers than a collection of mediots. 

The guy has had crappy defenses his entire career except the one year when he won the Superbowl because somehow they came alive during the playoffs. Peyton makes whatever team he's on an instant SB contender. He did lose some playoff games/and SB's, but not all of those times were his fault.

Demonstrably false. What's up with this new apologetic viewpoint of Colts' fans? There were several years when the Colts defense was dominant, or at least top 10.

Demonstrably false. What's up with this new apologetic viewpoint of Colts' fans? There were several years when the Colts defense was dominant, or at least top 10.

I like to call that "The Bob Sanders Effect".  But in general, Peyton has been plagued with average coaching and defenses.  Also, don't let the stats fool you into thinking the Colts had a good defense.  There was one year where we only gave up 6 (or so) pass TDs, but that was because teams had such an easy time running the ball on us, they didn't need to pass it.  The stats would indicate that our pass defense was one of the best in the league that year, but that's not the case

Manning tore through the NFL and had the best season ever by a quarterback this year. Him not capping it off in the SB and losing in the fashion that he did will indeed hurt his legacy, it is akin to Brady and the undefeated Patriots losing to Eli and the Giants.

I like to call that "The Bob Sanders Effect".  But in general, Peyton has been plagued with average coaching and defenses.  Also, don't let the stats fool you into thinking the Colts had a good defense.  There was one year where we only gave up 6 (or so) pass TDs, but that was because teams had such an easy time running the ball on us, they didn't need to pass it.  The stats would indicate that our pass defense was one of the best in the league that year, but that's not the case

Yes and No. Outside the Flacco led SB run, I have not seen a SB winning playoff run where a team won without holding opponents to the low 20s or below consistently on the defensive side. There will be one game where the QB will need to put up numbers in the high 20s or low 30s to win in the playoffs usually. But a HOF QB has to at least give his team a shot by getting to that 20 mark against elite Ds more often.

Peyton however has had several losses where he scored below 20 - in fact 10 times out of which he was 1-9 (16 vs Titans in 1999, 17 vs Dolphins in 2000, 0 vs Jets in 2002, 14 and 3 in Foxboro in 2003 & 2004, 18 vs Steelers in 2005, 15 vs Ravens in 2006, 17 vs Chargers in 2008, 17 vs Saints, recently 8 vs Seahawks). I know that each game has its own character but putting all their eggs in the Peyton basket and spending more high draft picks on offense over OL and defense (either to please Peyton or whatever reason) was largely responsible for the Colts' early playoff exits when elite Ds forced the Colts teams to run on them. Only SB we won was when we relied less on the passing weapons, enough said.

In other words, investing more on the offensive identity of the team came with a price to pay come playoff time when more contact is allowed from DBs in the passing game and points are at a premium (most fans should have this figured out by now). The numbers speak for themselves. Say what you want about the Patriots - they invested more in OL and defense which has led them to less one-and-dones because they built complete teams that helped them compete better vs elite teams to play any style on offense. Plus, yes, Belichick vs Dungy or Fox, no question who is better there :).

Manning tore through the NFL and had the best season ever by a quarterback this year. Him not capping it off in the SB and losing in the fashion that he did will indeed hurt his legacy, it is akin to Brady and the undefeated Patriots losing to Eli and the Giants.

I am not sure that is good comparison the Pats were in that game. It took the Tyree head catch kind of a hail mary on the final drive for the Giants to pull off 17-14 victory. While Brady didn't have his best game he throw for like 250 yards no picks and none of the Manning pick 6's that are almost customary in playoff games. The Pats looked like they had that game.  The Giants scored with under a minute to go.

The Bronco's on the other hand got manhandled Manning threw his customary pick 6 and they were never in that Super Bowl. That game was nothing like the Pats v Giants that game. That was the Seahawks embarrassing the Bronco's it was 43-8 again Manning 2 picks one for a td meanwhile Wilson played a clean game 2td 0 int's 

I am not sure that is good comparison the Pats were in that game. It took the Tyree head catch kind of a hail mary on the final drive for the Giants to pull off 17-14 victory. While Brady didn't have his best game he throw for like 250 yards no picks and none of the Manning pick 6's that are almost customary in playoff games. The Pats looked like they had that game.  The Giants scored with under a minute to go.

The Bronco's on the other hand got manhandled Manning threw his customary pick 6 and they were never in that Super Bowl. That game was nothing like the Pats v Giants that game. That was the Seahawks embarrassing the Bronco's it was 43-8 again Manning 2 picks one for a td meanwhile Wilson played a clean game 2td 0 int's 

I agree. It was more comparable to some of the Elway SB blowouts, ironically, the recent SB.

Yes and No. Outside the Flacco led SB run, I have not seen a SB winning playoff run where a team won without holding opponents to the low 20s or below consistently on the defensive side. There will be one game where the QB will need to put up numbers in the high 20s or low 30s to win in the playoffs usually. But a HOF QB has to at least give his team a shot by getting to that 20 mark against elite Ds more often.

Peyton however has had several losses where he scored below 20 - in fact 10 times out of which he was 1-9 (16 vs Titans in 1999, 17 vs Dolphins in 2000, 0 vs Jets in 2002, 14 and 3 in Foxboro in 2003 & 2004, 18 vs Steelers in 2005, 15 vs Ravens in 2006, 17 vs Chargers in 2008, 17 vs Saints, recently 8 vs Seahawks). I know that each game has its own character but putting all their eggs in the Peyton basket and spending more high draft picks on offense over OL and defense (either to please Peyton or whatever reason) was largely responsible for the Colts' early playoff exits when elite Ds forced the Colts teams to run on them. Only SB we won was when we relied less on the passing weapons, enough said.

In other words, investing more on the offensive identity of the team came with a price to pay come playoff time when more contact is allowed from DBs in the passing game and points are at a premium (most fans should have this figured out by now). The numbers speak for themselves. Say what you want about the Patriots - they invested more in OL and defense which has led them to less one-and-dones because they built complete teams that helped them compete better vs elite teams to play any style on offense. Plus, yes, Belichick vs Dungy or Fox, no question who is better there :).

I agree with you.  I think Polian really had a good eye for talent, but he did not build a balanced team.  It's an interesting question when you have an elite QB.  A lot of times, you hear that you need to get elite QBs some good weapons to maximize their talents.  You also hear that an elite QB will improve those around him.  So do you spend high draft picks and go after bigger name free agents on the defense and OL since your great QB will make average TEs and WRs better, or do you spend the high draft picks on great weapons to maximize your QB's talents?  Alternatively, do you simply take the best player available  with your high draft picks?  It's a very difficult case to handle.  For Peyton, people say he had tons of weapons, but his defense and OL weren't spectacular for the most part.  On the other hand, Brady had a really good defense and has a very good OL now, but his weapons are lacking.

Personally, I'm a fan of balance.  Go with the best available player, regardless of if he is on offense or defense.  Of course, there are exceptions (ie. don't take a QB in the first round when you have a 24 year old Andrew Luck on your roster), but I like the best player available approach.  I think it leads to better balance and depth 

Yep. Just saying that the situation, which in this case is a Hall of Fame QB leading the best offense of all time to a doomed SB is not dissimilar to the Patriots that everyone expected to win getting beat by the lowly Giants. Not everyone expected the Seahawks to win, as the media was in love with the Peyton Manning comeback, cementing legacy story.

He did win a SB and has been to a total of three, which by any reasonable measure, is a fantastic accomplishment. 

I'll summarize your entire post in a few sentences;

"Peyton can't win a big playoff game, except for all the times he did. Peyton can't win the Super Bowl, well, except for the time that he did."

That is not a very accurate summarization of my post but if that sort of revisionist history makes you feel better than more power to you. The real history is he lost more playoff games than he won, he went one and done more than probably any QB of his stature 9x and he was at home and favored in the majority of those games. Spin it however you want.

I agree with you.  I think Polian really had a good eye for talent, but he did not build a balanced team.  It's an interesting question when you have an elite QB.  A lot of times, you hear that you need to get elite QBs some good weapons to maximize their talents.  You also hear that an elite QB will improve those around him.  So do you spend high draft picks and go after bigger name free agents on the defense and OL since your great QB will make average TEs and WRs better, or do you spend the high draft picks on great weapons to maximize your QB's talents?  Alternatively, do you simply take the best player available  with your high draft picks?  It's a very difficult case to handle.  For Peyton, people say he had tons of weapons, but his defense and OL weren't spectacular for the most part.  On the other hand, Brady had a really good defense and has a very good OL now, but his weapons are lacking.

Personally, I'm a fan of balance.  Go with the best available player, regardless of if he is on offense or defense.  Of course, there are exceptions (ie. don't take a QB in the first round when you have a 24 year old Andrew Luck on your roster), but I like the best player available approach.  I think it leads to better balance and depth 

Bill Polian should have known from the Buffalo Bills days. Belichick, the DC of the Giants, told his players that they will concede the run to Thurman Thomas but beat the heck out of the Bills' wideouts thus never letting Kelly to get to a rhythm. Heck, it took an entire half and more for Marv Levy and his coaches to recognize :dunno:  they could run the ball wild with Thurman Thomas (again, coaches that underachieve at the highest level seem to be good fodder for Polian's hires :)). History has shown us that great passing offenses can always be game planned for. If you have to win grind it out games which seem to be the norm in a lot of playoff games, you need a running game and defense. A lot of playoff games we lost were wanting in one of those departments where we could not control tempo and play an alternate style of offense, IMO. Forgotten in Eli's playoff runs is how well the Giants' running O controlled tempo with their OL. Same with the Packers' playoff run, how James Starks and their running O emerged and gave them balance.

Lol....no sane person actually believes the Colts defense was ever dominant. It was a defense that thrived against poor quarterbacks when given a lead.

You need to get help for your issues

Lol....no sane person actually believes the Colts defense was ever dominant. It was a defense that thrived against poor quarterbacks when given a lead.

Yeah that has pretty much been the case with the Pats as well since 2007. Even the undefeated season you could see the holes in defense that were covered by the historic O getting out to such big leads.

Yeah that has pretty much been the case with the Pats as well since 2007. Even the undefeated season you could see the holes in defense that were covered by the historic O getting out to such big leads.

If the players stay healthy, the Pats should have very stout this season.....unfortunately