Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bjoern Werner film review

Dustin

B. Werner is gonna be something special this season. And he gets to start early as he'll be starting opposite of E. Walden come opening day due to the Mathis suspension

Can't wait for our former first round pick to do his thing this year next to Freeman, Jackson & Walden

:colts:

He has the potential!!! When he got drafted I was guessing that he could have made a bigger impact but I realized that he will take some time!

As long as you keep seeing improvement it is a good thing! In a couple seasons he could be a stud as long as he keeps working and learning! One of the reasons I got his Jersey last year!

I've been skeptical of Werner ever since we took him.  The old regime took a 3-4 OLB and forced him to play in a 4-3 (Jerry Hughes) while this regime is doing the opposite, taking a 4-3 DE and making him play 3-4 OLB.  Werner has talent, but our coaching staff really needs to improve how they utilize him to make him effective.  Hopefully, Werner can prove me wrong

I don't know what I am missing that everyone else is seeing but for my money we better hope Newsome can get off blocks and cause some damage or Adongo. I did not see much from Werner to make me as optimistic about him. If he see's the majority of Mathis's reps. from what I have seen we have a problem. I guess anything is possible.  

I don't know what I am missing that everyone else is seeing but for my money we better hope Newsome can get off blocks and cause some damage or Adongo. I did not see much from Werner to make me as optimistic about him. If he see's the majority of Mathis's reps. from what I have seen we have a problem. I guess anything is possible.  

I almost puked in my mouth, when our card was turned in and it said  WERNER.

I've been skeptical of Werner ever since we took him.  The old regime took a 3-4 OLB and forced him to play in a 4-3 (Jerry Hughes) while this regime is doing the opposite, taking a 4-3 DE and making him play 3-4 OLB.  Werner has talent, but our coaching staff really needs to improve how they utilize him to make him effective.  Hopefully, Werner can prove me wrong

I've had him pegged as a monumental 1st round bust since draft day. Nothing but a JJ Watt shot-in-the-dark. 

It was unfortunate and quite coincidental that we'd just relieved ourselves of our last 1st round bust DE, Jerry Hughes.....and then we take another risk on DE.  

I've had him pegged as a monumental 1st round bust since draft day. Nothing but a JJ Watt shot-in-the-dark. 

It was unfortunate and quite coincidental that we'd just relieved ourselves of our last 1st round bust DE, Jerry Hughes.....and then we take another risk on DE.  

How is Werner in anyway a "JJ Watt shot-in-the-dark"? They don't even play the same position.

While I was watching Werner, I kept thinking back to my look at McNary. McNary played inside linebacker almost exclusively, so it’s apples and oranges to some extent, but he showed way more flashes on way fewer snaps than Werner. If I reviewed them both from scratch, I’d think McNary was an early draft pick and Werner was an undrafted free agent.

You win some, you loose some. :GoodBad:

How is Werner in anyway a "JJ Watt shot-in-the-dark"? They don't even play the same position.

A pass rusher who can swat balls down.

I get that a lot from our front office, the attempt to copy other teams.  We try to replicate the 2 TE sets New England ran (which resulted in us taking Coby Fleener in the 2nd round, higher than he should have gone, and when many thought there were better players available).  We try to replicate JJ Watt by taking a pass rusher who has shown the ability to swat passes down at times.  We try to replicate Marshawn Lynch by bringing in T-Rich.  I understand it's a copycat league, but I've disagreed with a lot of these moves.  Why try to be a team we aren't?  Take the best available player and form your own identity, don't reach for players just because you want to copy someone else.

I get that a lot from our front office, the attempt to copy other teams. We try to replicate the 2 TE sets New England ran (which resulted in us taking Coby Fleener in the 2nd round, higher than he should have gone, and when many thought there were better players available). We try to replicate JJ Watt by taking a pass rusher who has shown the ability to swat passes down at times. We try to replicate Marshawn Lynch by bringing in T-Rich. I understand it's a copycat league, but I've disagreed with a lot of these moves. Why try to be a team we aren't? Take the best available player and form your own identity, don't reach for players just because you want to copy someone else.

I've never got that vibe from us. Closest thing to that vibe is Chuck Pagano wanting to build a team like he had in Baltimore, just better

Nothing wrong with taking notes from other teams then doing what they do better. But I don't think I've ever gotten the vibe that we're just downright being followers of the NFL

In terms of non producing pass rushers I wonder which player got screwed worse. McClellan in Chicago or Werner over here. Wonder if each would produce more if they flipped teams.

I get that a lot from our front office, the attempt to copy other teams.  We try to replicate the 2 TE sets New England ran (which resulted in us taking Coby Fleener in the 2nd round, higher than he should have gone, and when many thought there were better players available).  We try to replicate JJ Watt by taking a pass rusher who has shown the ability to swat passes down at times.  We try to replicate Marshawn Lynch by bringing in T-Rich.  I understand it's a copycat league, but I've disagreed with a lot of these moves.  Why try to be a team we aren't?  Take the best available player and form your own identity, don't reach for players just because you want to copy someone else.

I don't think bringing in Fleener and Allen was an attempt to copy NE as much as it was an attempt to get some TE's on the roster.  Going into that draft, if I remember right, Brody Eldridge was the only TE on the roster.  Now I wasn't a fan of taking TE at the top of the 2nd and top of the 3rd, it's not the way I'd have gone but it still made sense.  Whether there were better players available is always going to be up for debate, but I also disagree about taking Fleener higher than he should have gone.  He was projected as a late 1st to early 2nd so he went right around where he should have imo, especially considering Tyler Eifert went 21st overall and I personally think Fleener was a better TE coming out than Eifert was.  Though Fleener did come out in a deeper draft.

Bottom line, I don't think they're trying to copycat anyone.  I think they're going after players that fit the mindset and skillset that they want.  Because those players are similar in some ways to other players in the league doesn't mean that Grigson is trying to copycat anyone.  

Jerry Hughes wasn't a 3-4 OLB coming into the NFL.  He was a DE at TCU.  I can't say he played every single down at TCU with his hand in the dirt, but he was primarily a DE.  So imo, saying Hughes was a 3-4 OLB forced to play DE for us is inaccurate because he primarily played DE in college.  Now some of the draftniks did think he projected better as a 3-4 OLB but again, that doesn't mean Hughes was an OLB coming into the league.

I can say, however, that Werner did line up occasionally as a LB at FSU.  Yes, he was primarily a 4-3 DE but he lined up at OLB and even ILB on occasion.  So pigeon-holing him as a 4-3 DE is also, imo, not entirely accurate.  I've seen so many people use the "but he's a 4-3 DE, not an OLB" or vice versa and more often than not that argument really holds no water.  Players make the switch all the time.  

Are you being for real? Werner batted some passes so you think the team envisioned him mas JJ Watt 2.0? Again, they don't even play the same position. 

Connor Barwin is also a pass rusher who swatts passes down. And he plays the same position as Werner.

If you see in Werner a guy who will EVER be a Really Good let alone Great pass rusher, you just don`t know what you are looking at.

He should at some point be considerably better than Walden at THAT job.
 I have "got my wish" that we won`t be seeing Mathis on 1st down, for awhile. And I would expect Werner to earn that position, on 1st down anyway.
 He needs to get VG at something and run stopping on 1st down to me looks to be his best bet.

When Toler played we were seeing coverage Sacks. A shock for us that should be even more common this season. Werner will benefit.

That extra spot for a young pass rusher for 4 games is a Wonderful thing to happen to us.

No to all of that

I don't think it has anything to do with position...he wasn't effective when lining up as a DE either. To me,he just lacks the suddenness/athleticism to be a goo pass rusher.

Are you being for real? Werner batted some passes so you think the team envisioned him mas JJ Watt 2.0? Again, they don't even play the same position. 

Connor Barwin is also a pass rusher who swatts passes down. And he plays the same position as Werner.

I wouldn't say he is JJ Watt 2.0, but people like to draw similarities.  One of the things he did best at FSU that Grigs and Pagano raved about was swatting passes.  JJ Watt is arguably the best in the league at doing that.  It's not that he is the second coming of Watt, but many people like to make the connection.  I think Pagano and Grigs had dreams of his ball swatting skills becoming Watt-esque, but no one is going to confuse him with JJ

No to all of that

I understand.  I'm certainly not saying it's true.  It's just what I've seen.  Perhaps it's just a coincidence.

I don't think it has anything to do with position...he wasn't effective when lining up as a DE either. To me,he just lacks the suddenness/athleticism to be a goo pass rusher.

I believe at Florida State, he played as DE.  Coming out of college, he drew comparisons to Jared Allen.  To me, like you said, he doesn't have the athleticism to be a pass rushing OLB. 

I agree with this - I don't see any real burst, can't see him lowering and turning the corner, or strength for a bull rush.. I think he's better at SAM and setting the edge

Sometimes he goes way outside the box after his 1st draft I have lost trust in him and that RICHARDSON TRADE :eek:

we will see Richardson didn't have a bad rookie year it was 9 in the box all day played through injuries he was a the 3rd pick overall pick I am still holding out hope Richardson will get it going. Would like to see him catch the ball more and run something besides dives. I don't think Pep did him any favors last year. He tried to do what no back could have done line it up say we are running here stop us behind the softest interior line in the league.

Rookie season Richardson had 267 for 950 and 11 tds only 3.6 per carry but that was a bad offense Weedan was the QB 15 games. Was that his rookie year too? Doesn't matter he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. He was second on the team with 51 catches Little led them with 53. The  Little they  just cut.

I think  a better understanding of what's going on coaches better idea how to use him Richardson should at the least improve on his rookie numbers. If he can do that the trade won't be so bad. Really how can it not work he was the 3rd overall pick as a RB he has to be able to play a little. I would just throw last year out.

I get that a lot from our front office, the attempt to copy other teams. We try to replicate the 2 TE sets New England ran (which resulted in us taking Coby Fleener in the 2nd round, higher than he should have gone, and when many thought there were better players available). We try to replicate JJ Watt by taking a pass rusher who has shown the ability to swat passes down at times. We try to replicate Marshawn Lynch by bringing in T-Rich. I understand it's a copycat league, but I've disagreed with a lot of these moves. Why try to be a team we aren't? Take the best available player and form your own identity, don't reach for players just because you want to copy someone else.

To say we are simply trying to copy others is odd. In all honesty they went after Fleener to give Luck a familar target. Richardson was the second pick in the same draft, and having a player who can bat down balls is a good thing to have. We will see exactly what Werner is made of when he sees the field a lot more. I'm optimistic he can flurish with this team.