Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts working out C Steve Vallos

CS Colts Fan

Isn't it possible Goodwin isn't interested in us right now?

Right.  And he's only working the guy out, they probably work out a lot of guys that we never know about.

I can't believe that people are going to complain about this.

Isn't it possible Goodwin isn't interested in us right now?

I doubt Goodwin would say no to any team looking at him. And I wasn't criticizing Grigson on working out this guy. I'm just pointing out the fact that Grigson really didn't like this free agent class of centers.

I doubt Goodwin would say no to any team looking at him. And I wasn't criticizing Grigson on working out this guy. I'm just pointing out the fact that Grigson really didn't like this free agent class of centers.

The dude is 35. Maybe he doesn't want to be in camp this summer. Maybe he wants to wait until some team loses their starting center in OTAs and his value increases a little bit. Maybe he wants to wait until after the draft, so he doesn't sign with a team that intends to pick a center and plug him in to start. Maybe he hates the Colts.

There are a number of scenarios that make sense in my mind as to why Goodwin might not be ready to sign, here or anywhere. Ultimately, both sides have to want to get a deal done.

The dude is 35. Maybe he doesn't want to be in camp this summer. Maybe he wants to wait until some team loses their starting center in OTAs and his value increases a little bit. Maybe he wants to wait until after the draft, so he doesn't sign with a team that intends to pick a center and plug him in to start. Maybe he hates the Colts.

There are a number of scenarios that make sense in my mind as to why Goodwin might not be ready to sign, here or anywhere. Ultimately, both sides have to want to get a deal done.

You're making way too much sense.

Stop it, there's no place for logic.

was on the Broncos and had a whole 9 snaps...   I like that they are looking under every rock ( no pun intended ) but it also says they are not comfortable with Austin backup...   He hasn;t been much maore than a jersey or camp body from what I have been able to find

was on the Broncos and had a whole 9 snaps... I like that they are looking under every rock ( no pun intended ) but it also says they are not comfortable with Austin backup... He hasn;t been much maore than a jersey or camp body from what I have been able to find

No pun intended... No pun at all.

um who?

Exactly CR91, I can't render a decision on a guy I know almost nothing about. Gavin, do you have any videos on this guy?

I get the due diligence thing on the part of Grigs, but when all you hear are crickets at the mention of his name...Run away from Steve Vallos as fast as your legs can carry you. 

Yes, I get the irony here. 1st I say I can't make the call & then I say run for the hills & don't sign him. He just doesn't instill confidence in me as a center I guess. 

Better yet, since Bayone is such a big Broncos fan, I'd love to hear his take on Mr. Vallos personally. Barry hasn't been on the forum for awhile, I hope he's doing okay...

Exactly CR91, I can't render a decision on a guy I know almost nothing about. Gavin, do you have any videos on this guy?

I get the due diligence thing on the part of Grigs, but when all you hear are crickets at the mention of his name...Run away from Steve Vallos as fast as your legs can carry you. 

Yes, I get the irony here. 1st I say I can't make the call & then I say run for the hills & don't sign him. He just doesn't instill confidence in me as a center I guess. 

Better yet, since Bayone is such a big Broncos fan, I'd love to hear his take on Mr. Vallos personally. Barry hasn't been on the forum for awhile, I hope he's doing okay...

Agreed on Bayone

Here is a little on Vallos

Here was a replacement signing after the season ending injury to Dan Koppen and he saw action in 15 games

No pun intended... No pun at all.

lol   i read his comment a few times and was thinking the same thing.  "I like that they are looking under every rock ( no pun intended )"

so... Did we literally look under a rock for a player or something??   lol

lol i read his comment a few times and was thinking the same thing. "I like that they are looking under every rock ( no pun intended )"

so... Did we literally look under a rock for a player or something?? lol

Maybe Vallos' middle name is Rock.

He's been in the league for 6 years.  Scrubs and camp bodies don't stay in the league that long.

Now he may be a career backup in fact by all appearances that's exactly what he is.  But he's been on active rosters and played in many games.

Here's what Wikipedia says about him. 

7th round pick

Seahawks '07 - '09 with some time on practice squad.  Played in 16 games in '08 with 5 starts.  Played in 16 games in '09 with 3 starts.

Browns '10 - '11 7 games in '10 and 1 in 2011

Eagles '12 - Signed but let go in camp. . . re-signed due to an injury.  Apparently let go later in the season

Jags '12  Signed and let go a week later.

Broncos '13 Signed during camp and stayed the whole season.  

Career backup. . . but not a scrub.

He's been in the league for 6 years. Scrubs and camp bodies don't stay in the league that long.

Now he may be a career backup in fact by all appearances that's exactly what he is. But he's been on active rosters and played in many games.

7th round pick

Seahawks '07 - '09 with some time on practice squad. Played in 16 games in '08 with 5 starts. Played in 16 games in '09 with 3 starts.

Eagles '12 - Signed but let go in camp. . . re-signed due to an injury. Apparently let go later in the season

Jags '12 Signed and let go a week later.

Gijon Robinson was in the NFL for 6 years. Keyunta Dawson has been in the NFL for 7 years and counting. That's just 2 ex-Colt scrubs that immediately come to mind.

Of course, the real issue is how you define "scrub". If I were asked to use it in a sentence, it would be "Gijon 'Mustard' Robinson and Keyunta 'Stunka' Dawson are two of the scrubbiest of scrub football players you may ever know."

0a08b0a20c3c1fdaa2928710e73ea82c0d04c806

He's been in the league for 6 years.  Scrubs and camp bodies don't stay in the league that long.

Now he may be a career backup in fact by all appearances that's exactly what he is.  But he's been on active rosters and played in many games.

7th round pick

Seahawks '07 - '09 with some time on practice squad.  Played in 16 games in '08 with 5 starts.  Played in 16 games in '09 with 3 starts.

Eagles '12 - Signed but let go in camp. . . re-signed due to an injury.  Apparently let go later in the season

Jags '12  Signed and let go a week later.

100% Correct

Gijon Robinson was in the NFL for 6 years. Keyunta Dawson has been in the NFL for 7 years and counting. That's just 2 ex-Colt scrubs that immediately come to mind.

Of course, the real issue is how you define "scrub". If I were asked to use it in a sentence, it would be "Gijon 'Mustard' Robinson and Keyunta Dawson are two of the scrubbiest of scrub football players you may ever know."

0a08b0a20c3c1fdaa2928710e73ea82c0d04c806

Actually Robinson was in the NFL for 3 years.  All the teams he was with after the Colts he never made a final roster or played in a game for them.  Basically he was invited to camp but that's it.  Wasn't a colts fan at the time so I don't know the story on him or why they kept him.  But you can't really say it counts if they just where there for camp.  They don't even get a real paycheck doing that, just a small stipend.  

Vallos has been on the roster during the season for all the teams he's been with.  

Dawson I don't know about but I wouldn't consider him a scrub.  To me a scrub is a guy you bring in to camp and cut soon afterwards.  He may get invited to a few different camps and he may spend some time on a practice squad.  But the limit on the amount of time you can spend on practice squad usually limits this person's time earning a paycheck from the league.

A Journeyman or a career backup is a guy you bring in as a backup or as a pinch starter but you don't keep for a long time.  These guys may be in the league for a while and play for a new team every year or every other year.  I would say Dawson and Vallos fall under this category. 

A third category is what I would call a ringer.  A guy who used to be pretty good but is old.  You bring him in because of unforeseen injuries.  It sounds like Goodwin would fit under this if he gets signed by anyone.  Deion Branch would fit under this category too.  

Actually Robinson was in the NFL for 3 years. All the teams he was with after the Colts he never made a final roster or played in a game for them. Basically he was invited to camp but that's it. Wasn't a colts fan at the time so I don't know the story on him or why they kept him. But you can't really say it counts if they just where there for camp. They don't even get a real paycheck doing that, just a small stipend.

Vallos has been on the roster during the season for all the teams he's been with.

Dawson I don't know about but I wouldn't consider him a scrub. To me a scrub is a guy you bring in to camp and cut soon afterwards. He may get invited to a few different camps and he may spend some time on a practice squad. But the limit on the amount of time you can spend on practice squad usually limits this person's time earning a paycheck from the league.

A Journeyman or a career backup is a guy you bring in as a backup or as a pinch starter but you don't keep for a long time. These guys may be in the league for a while and play for a new team every year or every other year. I would say Dawson and Vallos fall under this category.

A third category is what I would call a ringer. A guy who used to be pretty good but is old. You bring him in because of unforeseen injuries. It sounds like Goodwin would fit under this if he gets signed by anyone. Deion Branch would fit under this category too.

Semantics. They're scrubs to me due to their horrendous play, being backups/depth doesn't excuse it. If an arbitrary number of years clinging to the NFL makes them non-scrubs to you then great.

I have no opinion on Steve Vallos. I'm just commenting on the implication that you can't be a "scrub" and remain in the NFL for 6 years.