Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ryan Grigson press conference -- 5/1/14 (merge)

Dustin

Relax.  He did not say he would be the starting center.  Really did not even get close to saying that. 

Right.  I'm guessing he meant that Thomas could be the backup to Holmes at C if a better option isn't brought in.

Right.  I'm guessing he meant that Thomas could be the backup to Holmes at C if a better option isn't brought in.

Dude, I love your Avatar... I have 2 American Mastiffs and they do the same thing when we go for a ride!!  Have to drap a towel over my right shoulder!!

He said Possible, when you say possible that means a strong option. I prefer Thomas at G not C

when did that happen?

Dude, I love your Avatar... I have 2 American Mastiffs and they do the same thing when we go for a ride!!  Have to drap a towel over my right shoulder!!

lol..thanks.  I'd love to own a mastiff.  My uncle has a male brindle mastiff that's getting close to a year old and he's awesome. :)  The avatar though is from one of my favorite episodes of Archer. :)

when did that happen?

lol..thanks.  I'd love to own a mastiff.  My uncle has a male brindle mastiff that's getting close to a year old and he's awesome. :)  The avatar though is from one of my favorite episodes of Archer. :)

Read the thread title "Donald Thomas possible option at C.

This was brought up a few months ago as a possible option.   Rietz, Holmes, and back then....Costa, are options at LG.

If there is a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick used for LG, that would make a talented OL.

Also, by announcing the possibility of of using Thomas at C just a week before the draft, it may get some teams thinking that we will draft an LG, keeping possibly other teams off of an S.  Keep em guessing.

Grigson: Center and safety still work in progress. Donald Thomas might be an option at C. Has snapped in preseason.

— Mike Chappell (@mchappell51)

May 1, 2014

I hope Grigson isn't taking the same approach with the OL as Polian did. Which basically was that it was an after thought That's my opinion. Grigson did spend a couple of picks there with Thornton and Hughes but if you want to really build a good OL you have to be willing to use higher picks. I like the tandem of Castonzo and Cherilus. Where set there for a few years but beyond that I don't see much talent there.

http://www.colts.com/videos/videos/Grigson-2014-Pre-draft-Press-Conference/4196de2c-c765-4be1-99f2-d938034f9857

One interesting point made by Grigson was that Josh McNary would have been the starting nickel linebacker if he didn't hurt his hamstring in camp. Also that we need safeties who are interchangable, but can cover and run. Press conference talks about the draft a lot. One more week!!

Also mentions Donald Thomas at center.

I hope Grigson isn't taking the same approach with the OL as Polian did. Which basically was that it was an after thought That's my opinion. Grigson did spend a couple of picks there with Thornton and Hughes but if you want to really build a good OL you have to be willing to use higher picks. I like the tandem of Castonzo and Cherilus. Where set there for a few years but beyond that I don't see much talent there.

"I don't see much talent there"

That's the problem with being a fan vs being a actual position of power holder. Just cause you don't see talent/potential in the current offensive line doesn't mean the front office/coaches don't

If they feel we're set, then so be it. If they feel we need help badly, we'll see a lineman come off the board for us early

Next week all these comments, speculation, criticism, etc etc gets silenced.

My fear as well. While many people feel that we have potential with the current line, I don't see a great improvement over last year. Yes, Thomas will be an addition--if he stays healthy and if he is as solid as everyone thinks. Thornton's output was very mediocre at best, but hopefully he will see marked improvement. Also Holmes at C will be an improvement over Sataele, but that is also yet to be determined. At best, we have 3 huge question marks (and not less than huge question marks) in the area that protects our biggest asset, Andrew Luck or opens holes for our first round pick in this year's draft, Trent Richardson.

i love how he talks about after the draft being important!, he hit the nail on the head saying with the amount of depth in this draft and the amount of juniors there could be some diamonds in the rough post draft. 

After listening to his responses, I am more convinced that SS Deone Buccannon is a high possibility for the Colts if he is close to our pick. When he was discussing safeties, he said that both he and Pagano like interchangeable safeties who can both cover and stop the run. Bucannon is probably more suited to play both SS and FS over Jimmie Ward. Although I still think Ward would be the better pick since he covers much better and Landry struggles in that dept.

I also don't think we draft a Center early, maybe late though. He said they have 3 guys who can snap it, and I still see us bringing in another vet. He didn't mention anything about improving our pass rush at OLB, but if the right guy is there for us possibly after a trade down(Marcus Smith, Jeremiah Attaochu, Demarcus Lawrence), I think we will consider it. Same with WR. I don't see us reaching for a WR unless a stud is there that they really covet. He liked the depth at CB in the draft so I could see us adding a player there as well.

My prediction on positions we'll address in the draft (S, CB, OLB, WR, OG)

And I do predict at least 1 trade down since he mentioned only having 5 picks and the possibility of trading down if there wasn't a great player available when they pick.

After listening to his responses, I am more convinced that SS Deone Buccannon is a high possibility for the Colts if he is close to our pick. When he was discussing safeties, he said that both he and Pagano like interchangeable safeties who can both cover and stop the run. Bucannon is probably more suited to play both SS and FS over Jimmie Ward. Although I still think Ward would be the better pick since he covers much better and Landry struggles in that dept.

I also don't think we draft a Center early, maybe late though. He said they have 3 guys who can snap it, and I still see us bringing in another vet. He didn't mention anything about improving our pass rush at OLB, but if the right guy is there for us possibly after a trade down(Marcus Smith, Jeremiah Attaochu, Demarcus Lawrence), I think we will consider it. Same with WR. I don't see us reaching for a WR unless a stud is there that they really covet. He liked the depth at CB in the draft so I could see us adding a player there as well.

And I do predict at least 1 trade down since he mentioned only having 5 picks and the possibility of trading down if there wasn't a great player available when they pick.

Didn't Jimmie Ward play SS in college though?

To be fair there is good reason to doubt that Ward falls to us anyways.  It's gonna be close if you ask me.  

If we draft a WR I would think it would be late and maybe a guy we can put on the practice squad without having him pilfered by another team.  

Not sure of the order, but that's probably a good guess based on possible open spots.  It's going to be tough for a late round WR to make the team IMO.

My takeaways

-Grigson knows what he's doing

-Grigson is the man

-We're drafting a S & Offensive Lineman

-Grigson has a "Win Now, Reload on the Fly" mentality

#InGrigsonWeTrust

I don't think so.  Gave away our number 1 pick for Richardson? 

I don't think so. Gave away our number 1 pick for Richardson?

:facepalm:

And you came to this conclusion after throwing a player into the mix midseason & expect them to do something?

Vontae had troubles getting accustomed to the team too when we traded for him midseason. Guess that was a bad move by Grigson too right?

That's the problem with being a fan vs being a actual position of power holder. Just cause you don't see talent/potential in the current offensive line doesn't mean the front office/coaches don't

If they feel we're set, then so be it. If they feel we need help badly, we'll see a lineman come off the board for us early

Agree

That's my opinion. This is why I come to the forum to voice my opinion. It can't be argued that the interior of the Colts OL was not good last year. That's pretty much a fact. My comment about not seeing much talent has to do with the fact that we have 1 player coming off of 2 injured legs, 1 player who has played like 4 snaps in the NFL and another who struggled last year but hopefully will take a big jump this year. You can't argue that there are some big unknowns for the interior of the offensive line. Reitz is a decent contributor and Hughes is a complete unknown. Unitl I see 1) more of Dondald Thomas, 2) more of Hughes, and 3) Thornton improve my opinion is that I just don't see much talent there. That could change once I see them but right now I don't have a lot of confidence that we're going to be much improved on the interior of the offensive line. Mostly because of the unknowns, health of Thomas, Hughes' ability level and Thornton's progress.

That's my opinion. This is why I come to the forum to voice my opinion. It can't be argued that the interior of the Colts OL was not good last year. That's pretty much a fact. My comment about not seeing much talent has to do with the fact that we have 1 player coming off of 2 injured legs, 1 player who has played like 4 snaps in the NFL and another who struggled last year but hopefully will take a big jump this year. You can't argue that there are some big unknowns for the interior of the offensive line. Reitz is a decent contributor and Hughes is a complete unknown. Unitl I see 1) more of Dondald Thomas, 2) more of Hughes, and 3) Thornton improve my opinion is that I just don't see much talent there. That could change once I see them but right now I don't have a lot of confidence that we're going to be much improved on the interior of the offensive line. Mostly because of the unknowns, health of Thomas, Hughes' ability level and Thornton's progress.

"There are known knowns and there are known unknowns. But there are also unknown unknowns; things we don't know that we don't know."- Gin Rummy

"There are known knowns and there are known unknowns. But there are also unknown unknowns; things we don't know that we don't know."- Gin Rummy

It would stand to reason then that there must also be unknown knowns... things we don't even realize that we know!

Now this is getting interesting...

I think. ?

Great interview. Half hour long and it delved into a wide range of topics and I thought Grigson took us inside his mind quite a bit in a wide range of topics, From our current Center issue to his thought process on the draft, to what he is looking for in a Safety and several other topics, That was an interview in my opinion well worth listening to

For goodness sake....    Grigson only brought up Thomas as the 3rd candidate to play center.    He's talking about an emergency.

If something happened to Holmes and/or Austin (assuming he even makes the roster)....   he's only saying Thomas has some limited experience at center....    Grigs noted it was in pre-season.

But that's it.    No one is making plans for Thomas to play center.    

Take a deep breath.    It would really help if some people here would bother to actually listen to Grigson when he gives a press conference....   the man speaks his mind as much as any front office guy I've heard in most any sport.   He's as candid as he can be,  all things considered.........

Nice beard.

He's certainly talking the talk. He didn't answer in a cagey manner when they asked about drafting safeties and linemen. I don't know whether that means anything or not. He also kept open the possibility of trading back, and gave a pretty strong indication that trading up probably won't happen. Got a little testy when asked about Trent Richardson.

He again touched on the rookie linemen vs rookie corner issue. Basically said the same thing: It's harder for a rookie lineman. Didn't say he doesn't want a rookie lineman to play. 

when did that happen?

That IS my fav episode or Archer haha.

Josh McNary was going to be the the starting nickel linebacker in just a week of camp last year until he hurt his hamstring, that's incredible being he got there late. No wonder he got on the field so easy when they elevated him in the regular season.

Well he is a Houston native so it's kind of expected lol