Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Top 5 worst QB's to win a SuperBowl

Narcosys

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joe Flacco.

To his credit, he has made the playoffs in 5 out of his 6 years and played lights out in that SB run rivaled by only Montana to throw 10+ TDs and 0 INTs in any playoff run. That by itself has enough legs to dismiss your suggestion.

I absolutely LOVE the Namath and Dilfer picks. I would put Brad Johnson 3. I mean seriously, he didn't even need to show up to that game. Warren Sapp could have played QB and won that game. As for Dilfer, I genuinely despise that man. He was a borderline mediocre QB, and he's an even worse analyst. I laugh every time I hear him spew his judgmental garbage about players like Manning and Luck. The man is a JOKE. Other than those 3, have at it. 

He really didn't play lights out. He was ok and made some drives at the end of games to win. When all is said and done he will have more picks then Favre but nowhere near his yardage or TDs.

Some drives?.

Is that how you refer to game winning drives in SBs?.

How about the performance against Green Bay when it was like minus million?.

How about beating the 49ers?.

Some drives?.

Is that how you refer to game winning drives in SBs?.

How about the performance against Green Bay when it was like minus million?.

How about beating the 49ers?.

He was very good the years won Giants won the SBs for sure. But I was talking overall career which I think is what this list is capturing. Doug Williams had a great playoff run and was SB MVP the year the Skins won it setting all kinds of offensive records in the SB but the rest of his career was blah. I kind of feel the same about Eli outside of his playoffs runs. Even those two years he went to the SB and won the Giants were 10-6 and 9-7.

You wouldn't? Maybe Jim Plunkett too.

Jim Plunkett was very good. Tough as nails as well. I don't no how old you were when he was a Patriot but he was lucky to get out of here with his life. I was glad to see him win in Oakland and that's saying a lot. The tuck rule was nothing compared to some of the calls Oakland got when playing the Patriots back in the day.

Jim Plunkett was very good. Tough as nails as well. I don't no how old you were when he was a Patriot but he was lucky to get out of here with his life. I was glad to see him win in Oakland and that's saying a lot. The tuck rule was nothing compared to some of the calls Oakland got when playing the Patriots back in the day.

I remember him as a Patriot and a Raider. I was not impressed.

I remember him as a Patriot and a Raider. I was not impressed.

Well then besides being one heck of a nice guy he was one of the luckiest SOB's in the world. 1st overall pick, Heisman winner and two time SB Champion. Not impressive in the least. 

I absolutely LOVE the Namath and Dilfer picks. I would put Brad Johnson 3. I mean seriously, he didn't even need to show up to that game. Warren Sapp could have played QB and won that game. As for Dilfer, I genuinely despise that man. He was a borderline mediocre QB, and he's an even worse analyst. I laugh every time I hear him spew his judgmental garbage about players like Manning and Luck. The man is a JOKE. Other than those 3, have at it. 

Really???

Not trying to be snarky or argue, but when I've heard him on sports radio his analysis always seemed more informed with objective evaluation and specifics versus the  judgmental subjective slant...

With that said I didn't get to hear him much if at all this past season (local radio dropped the ESPN channel I would listen to on my drive to/from work), & I never heard him say anything outwardly negative about Luck or Manning...

Just saying because I always felt he was a much better analyst than player...

Really???

Not trying to be snarky or argue, but when I've heard him on sports radio his analysis always seemed more informed with objective evaluation and specifics versus the judgmental subjective slant...

With that said I didn't get to hear him much if at all this past season (local radio dropped the ESPN channel I would listen to on my drive to/from work), & I never heard him say anything outwardly negative about Luck or Manning...

Just saying because I always felt he was a much better analyst than player...

Yeah, I always thought Dilfer was pretty good talking x's and o's. The man is 10x better as an analyst then he ever was as a player. I don't ever watch ESPN because the channel overall is bad... but Dilfer isn't among the horrible former athletes they have.

Yeah, I always thought Dilfer was pretty good talking x's and o's. The man is 10x better as an analyst then he ever was as a player. I don't ever watch ESPN because the channel overall is bad... but Dilfer isn't among the horrible former athletes they have.

True, I agree. Dilfer is definitely a better analyst than Merill Hoge, IMO, and is better as an analyst than he was as a player.

Really???

Not trying to be snarky or argue, but when I've heard him on sports radio his analysis always seemed more informed with objective evaluation and specifics versus the judgmental subjective slant...

Just saying because I always felt he was a much better analyst than player...

Touché. Excuse my use of hyperbole. He is without a doubt a better analyst than he was a player. With that being said, I personally am not a big fan. His X's and O's are pretty well articulated; however, I just find that my take on team evaluations always seems to be in contrast to his. I feel as though he never backs the Colts, but will heap praise on teams I don't believe are that good. I suppose I could say that about every analyst though. Side note, I didn't find your comment snarky at all. Just inciting good discussion to pass the offseason by haha.

Wow having only discovered the NFL in 1995 , all ive ever heard of Joe NAmath was amazing things. Then i read this article and was blown away by his career stats. Guess a lot of media only remember one statement he made instead of his whole career.

The rules were much different back in the '60s and '70s so you can't really compare QB stats from that era to today.  Back then defensive backs could pretty much mug receivers all over the field and there weren't rules protecting the QB so he could get annihilated if he didn't get the ball out quickly.  They also tended to throw the ball down the field more with less dinking and dunking so completion percentages were lower and interception rates were higher.  A lot of HOF quarterbacks had stats that would look fairly ugly today.

I do think Namath is somewhat overrated but he was the biggest star in the AFL and played a role in getting the AFL and the NFL to merge.  He also had tons of injuries and his knees were completely shot by the end of his career so I don't think its fair to judge him only by his career stats.

Wow having only discovered the NFL in 1995 , all ive ever heard of Joe NAmath was amazing things. Then i read this article and was blown away by his career stats. Guess a lot of media only remember one statement he made instead of his whole career.

Namath was a cocky, and a true showman if there ever was one. The guy would walk the sidelines wearing fur coats in the 70's. I will unfortunately remember him more for getting drunk, and trying to kiss a sideline reporter... and his near botch of the coin toss in last years Super Bowl. Stat wise he was a lot like Bradshaw in that as a qb he wasn't putting up super numbers. The run to Super Bowl III against the Baltimore Colts was his one shining moment.

The rules were much different back in the '60s and '70s so you can't really compare QB stats from that era to today.  Back then defensive backs could pretty much mug receivers all over the field and there weren't rules protecting the QB so he could get annihilated if he didn't get the ball out quickly.  They also tended to throw the ball down the field more with less dinking and dunking so completion percentages were lower and interception rates were higher.  A lot of HOF quarterbacks had stats that would look fairly ugly today.

I do think Namath is somewhat overrated but he was the biggest star in the AFL and played a role in getting the AFL and the NFL to merge.  He also had tons of injuries and his knees were completely shot by the end of his career so I don't think its fair to judge him only by his career stats.

Namath was a great QB and also had a very very quick release,,,,,,,,Back then 60s ,70's it was primarily a running game,,,,,,,,,,,Rules were much ,much different DBacks got mug receivers totally and smash them as well as the Defensive  players hit the QB hard and would be suspended is they did that nowadays,,,,,,,,I was saw film of a Jet defense guy punch Unitus in the face after the play was long over,,,,,,,,,,,,Namath beat the Colts w/his quick release and great  game plan,,,,,,,,,,,Also Shula had such a big ego he didn't alter the Colts after halftime -He could of done a lot of alterations but he did not ,,,,,,,,,,The ball also bounced the Jets way many ties in that game INTERCEPTIONS FUMBLES,,,ALSO The Jet Dbacks mugged the hell out of Colt receivers that wasn't called,,,,,,,And the ref blow a whistle I believe that would have given the Colts the ball ,,,,,,,,,,,,Colts had un-timely bad things happen to them during that game,,,Also Johnny U  said or told Shula to put him in the gam after the half and Unitus said if Shula had they'd of won the game,,,,,,,,,But give Namath credit also he played well that game,,,,,,,,,and was a great QB==And remember he would of plaed lo nger in his career but they didn't have surgercies like the yo now he played on knees that should have been operated on sooner

I would throw in Tom Brady just because I hate him.

and some how some way Peyton Manning had the worst post season stats for a QB that ever won a Super Bowl. I never see the stat lovers bring that one up, though his stats were ugly in the post season that year.

Namath was a great QB and also had a very very quick release,,,,,,,,Back then 60s ,70's it was primarily a running game,,,,,,,,,,,Rules were much ,much different DBacks got mug receivers totally and smash them as well as the Defensive  players hit the QB hard and would be suspended is they did that nowadays,,,,,,,,I was saw film of a Jet defense guy punch Unitus in the face after the play was long over,,,,,,,,,,,,Namath beat the Colts w/his quick release and great  game plan,,,,,,,,,,,Also Shula had such a big ego he didn't alter the Colts after halftime -He could of done a lot of alterations but he did not ,,,,,,,,,,The ball also bounced the Jets way many ties in that game INTERCEPTIONS FUMBLES,,,ALSO The Jet Dbacks mugged the hell out of Colt receivers that wasn't called,,,,,,,And the ref blow a whistle I believe that would have given the Colts the ball ,,,,,,,,,,,,Colts had un-timely bad things happen to them during that game,,,Also Johnny U  said or told Shula to put him in the gam after the half and Unitus said if Shula had they'd of won the game,,,,,,,,,But give Namath credit also he played well that game,,,,,,,,,and was a great QB==And remember he would of plaed lo nger in his career but they didn't have surgercies like the yo now he played on knees that should have been operated on sooner

Namath has some of the worst stats of any QB of that era. Seriously, the people that put him in the Hall of Fame are crazy or were probably smoking crack when they did it. Look at his stats, and you are wrong about the running thing. It wasn't a big part back then as it has always been, running the ball has always been essential.

What makes no sense is Namath often lead the league in interceptions, yet he makes the Hall of Fame, yet Kenny Stabler, who totally out played Namath his entire career, and has a ring to, he's not in the Hall for some reason or another. Same could be said about countless other good QB's that out played Namath in the same era, yet get ignored cause they didn't play for the Jets. Len Dawson has a ring too from that same era, and he don't get the same pedestal treatment as Namath.

In fact, Namath's career stats put together are 170 TD's and 220 INT's.

That is bad, very bad when compared to something like Bert Jones who had 124 TD's and 101 INT's.

Bert Jones will never be in the Hall, and most people don't even acknowledge his 1976 season as one of the best ever (Namath had 4 TD's and 16 INT's that year, just to add) cause "he didn't throw for no 5,000 yards or 50 TD's!".

With Namath in the hall, I have no idea why Stabler isn't in there.