Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Top 5 worst QB's to win a SuperBowl

Narcosys

Namath has some of the worst stats of any QB of that era. Seriously, the people that put him in the Hall of Fame are crazy or were probably smoking crack when they did it. Look at his stats, and you are wrong about the running thing. It wasn't a big part back then as it has always been, running the ball has always been essential.

What makes no sense is Namath often lead the league in interceptions, yet he makes the Hall of Fame, yet Kenny Stabler, who totally out played Namath his entire career, and has a ring to, he's not in the Hall for some reason or another. Same could be said about countless other good QB's that out played Namath in the same era, yet get ignored cause they didn't play for the Jets. Len Dawson has a ring too from that same era, and he don't get the same pedestal treatment as Namath.

In fact, Namath's career stats put together are 170 TD's and 220 INT's.

That is bad, very bad when compared to something like Bert Jones who had 124 TD's and 101 INT's.

Bert Jones will never be in the Hall, and most people don't even acknowledge his 1976 season as one of the best ever (Namath had 4 TD's and 16 INT's that year, just to add) cause "he didn't throw for no 5,000 yards or 50 TD's!".

With Namath in the hall, I have no idea why Stabler isn't in there.

Bert Jones one of my favorite Colts,,,,,,,,,,,,He did have incredible stats back in a time when u could literally mug recievers,,,,,,His downfall was his career was not long enough due to shoulder injuries and concussions ,,,,,,,,,,,,Stats are not everything,,,,,,,,,,,Namath is a was a great QB,,he did throw many INTs but he won when he had to............He was plagued from injuries that cut his career short,,,,,,they didn't have the technology to do the knee surgeries like today,and also he was mis diagnosed as to he could tough it out and play on badly injured knees,,,,,,,,,,,,THey barely knew what they were doing back then ,,,They really just started acknowledging the seriousness of concussions,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I  hate Namath for beating the Baltimore Colts but after looking at tape many times have to give him his credit...........

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is one of my least favorite articles of the off-season.

Pure poop.

I just looked up the writer.    He's young, Canadian, living in Nicaragua and when he describes his interests,  he doesn't even mention sports!

Come on.    It's nonsense.

If you want to argue and debate because that's what you like to do -- great,  knock yourself out.    But the names listed are ridiculous.

The writer knows nothing and he clearly demonstrated it with his article.   It's the kind of nonsense article that gives the Internet a bad name.   

It's filler.     It's crap.

This is one of my least favorite articles of the off-season.

Pure poop.

I just looked up the writer. He's young, Canadian, living in Nicaragua and when he describes his interests, he doesn't even mention sports!

Come on. It's nonsense.

If you want to argue and debate because that's what you like to do -- great, knock yourself out. But the names listed are ridiculous.

The writer knows nothing and he clearly demonstrated it with his article. It's the kind of nonsense article that gives the Internet a bad name.

It's filler. It's crap.

this article is far from what gives the internet a bad name...lol

this article is far from what gives the internet a bad name...lol

It's a snarky article written by a guy who doesn't know football designed to generate Internet clicks and heated debates by young people who have nothing better to do with their time.

Sorry,   I don't see much upside there.................

It's a snarky article written by a guy who doesn't know football designed to generate Internet clicks and heated debates by young people who have nothing better to do with their time.

Sorry, I don't see much upside there.................

Its hard to argue his list.

Its hard to argue his list.

Look..........  in any list,  SOMEBODY has to be at the bottom.    That's the very definition of a list.

Someone is at the top.    Some are in the middle.    Some are at the bottom.

But, it's all cheap shots.

And it's not hard to argue some of the names.....

Namath?    Doug Williams?     Heck,  Jeff Hostetler was the back-up only playing because the starter, Phil Simms got hurt.

And the writer takes a cheap shot at the player for doing what he's supposed to do?!?    Leading his team to victory in the Super Bowl?!?     Hostetler has to get ripped for that?!?

That's the definition of a cheap shot.    It's a snarky article written by someone who doesn't know or appreciate football.

Enter Terry Bradshaw. The guy wasn't that good a qb, but the Steelers were amazing over all. So they won a lot back in the day.

Bradshaws records in super bowls- 4 super bowl wins in 4 tries. 58% passing- 9 TDs with 4 interceptions- Passer rating of 112.7. League MVP in 1978- 2 super bowl MVPs- Hall of Famer- All of this with numurous injuries for most of his carreer. Rated #44 of the greatest NFL players ever by Sporting News. He also rushed for 32 TDs in his carreer. For you to even make the comment that Bradshaw wasn't a good player is very short sighted to the point of blindness.

Look.......... in any list, SOMEBODY has to be at the bottom. That's the very definition of a list.

Someone is at the top. Some are in the middle. Some are at the bottom.

But, it's all cheap shots.

And it's not hard to argue some of the names.....

Namath? Doug Williams? Heck, Jeff Hostetler was the back-up only playing because the starter, Phil Simms got hurt.

And the writer takes a cheap shot at the player for doing what he's supposed to do?!? Leading his team to victory in the Super Bowl?!? Hostetler has to get ripped for that?!?

That's the definition of a cheap shot. It's a snarky article written by someone who doesn't know or appreciate football.

I don't know the guy on a personal level like you apparently do, but i doubt he is any less qualified than most here.

I would take Namath off and replace him with Mark Rypian. I wouldn't rank them in any particular order, but those would be my bottom dive in terms if guys that won a superbowl vrs other career accomplishments

Namath has some of the worst stats of any QB of that era. Seriously, the people that put him in the Hall of Fame are crazy or were probably smoking crack when they did it. Look at his stats, and you are wrong about the running thing. It wasn't a big part back then as it has always been, running the ball has always been essential.

What makes no sense is Namath often lead the league in interceptions, yet he makes the Hall of Fame, yet Kenny Stabler, who totally out played Namath his entire career, and has a ring to, he's not in the Hall for some reason or another. Same could be said about countless other good QB's that out played Namath in the same era, yet get ignored cause they didn't play for the Jets. Len Dawson has a ring too from that same era, and he don't get the same pedestal treatment as Namath.

In fact, Namath's career stats put together are 170 TD's and 220 INT's.

That is bad, very bad when compared to something like Bert Jones who had 124 TD's and 101 INT's.

Bert Jones will never be in the Hall, and most people don't even acknowledge his 1976 season as one of the best ever (Namath had 4 TD's and 16 INT's that year, just to add) cause "he didn't throw for no 5,000 yards or 50 TD's!".

With Namath in the hall, I have no idea why Stabler isn't in there.

Namath also barely completed 50% of his passes. I agree wholeheartedly that if Broadway Joe is in Stabler should be without question.

The writer needs to realize that not all SB winning QBs throw for 4 or 5 TD passes in a SB or even in a single game in a SB winning playoff run, at least not lately. Elite teams factor for good QB arms and have been forcing a grind it out game where they force the QB to earn it with balance and in smaller chunks of yardage.

So, yeah, every once in a while, you will have a Montana-like-Flacco playoff run but more often than not, starting with the conference championship game and SB, one expects more along the 1-3 TD range for QBs in those big games for folks like the writer hung up on stats. If the QB has a balanced offense like Brady had with his SB runs or some of the QBs mentioned in those articles, he will hand it off more often if he can. That should not be used as a knock on the QB, that is all I am saying.

The writer needs to realize that not all SB winning QBs throw for 4 or 5 TD passes in a SB or even in a single game in a SB winning playoff run, at least not lately. Elite teams factor for good QB arms and have been forcing a grind it out game where they force the QB to earn it with balance and in smaller chunks of yardage.

So, yeah, every once in a while, you will have a Montana-like-Flacco playoff run but more often than not, starting with the conference championship game and SB, one expects more along the 1-3 TD range for QBs in those big games for folks like the writer hung up on stats. If the QB has a balanced offense like Brady had with his SB runs or some of the QBs mentioned in those articles, he will hand it off more often if he can. That should not be used as a knock on the QB, that is all I am saying.

He isn't talking about the superbowl itself, he is talking about the careers of these guys that have rings. Outside of a superbowl victory, these guys didn't have much of a career

I don't know the guy on a personal level like you apparently do, but i doubt he is any less qualified than most here.

I would take Namath off and replace him with Mark Rypian. I wouldn't rank them in any particular order, but those would be my bottom dive in terms if guys that won a superbowl vrs other career accomplishments

To be clear....

I do NOT know this guy on a personal level.    My reaction maybe personal,  but I don't him at all.

Never even heard of him before today.    I clicked on his name and it took me to a one paragraph description of the guy that he himself wrote.    That's all I know about him.    Seriously.    That's it.

I just think it's a terrible article, and the kind of article that's designed to drive Internet traffic.

It brings much heart and no light to any situation.    It's designed to stir things up.    And that's all.......

Every time someone brings up the "it was a different era" argument in regards to Namath my head firmly plants itself on my desk.  Namath had numbers that only would have been considered good in the 1940s.  In his own era he was utterly outclassed by Unitas, Tarkenton, and Jurgenson on top of the guys you already named.  Even the likes of Griese and Lamonica were far more dependable.

Namath was a more famous Norm Snead, good enough to stick around for some time but not good enough to truly impress outside of his one shining moment.  He was more of an elite personality than an elite QB.  He's the Michael Vick of his era.

Every time someone brings up the "it was a different era" argument in regards to Namath my head firmly plants itself on my desk.  Namath had numbers that only would have been considered good in the 1940s.  In his own era he was utterly outclassed by Unitas, Tarkenton, and Jurgenson on top of the guys you already named.  Even the likes of Griese and Lamonica were far more dependable.

Namath was a more famous Norm Snead, good enough to stick around for some time but not good enough to truly impress outside of his one shining moment.  He was more of an elite personality than an elite QB.  He's the Michael Vick of his era.

The thing with Namath is he put the AFL on the map. He is viewed as that guy that gained legitimacy for the AFL. But he really was more personality then anything else and he still going strong today. I have to admit I do like listening to the guy especially when he rips the Jets. haha

I had been meaning to ask you if you are a Redskins fan or just a fan of RG and how far back you go watching football. I began watching in the early 80's and became enamored with the Joe Gibbs Skins with Theismann, Riggins and the Smurfs. The Pats were not a good team back then so I was always rooting for the Redskins as my second favorite team. I don't think Joe Gibbs ever gets enough credit for winning three SBs with three different QBs, one of which made this list. Not to mention Mark Rypien who could also be on this list.

You know, this is one of those polls that you don't mind your quarterback being on because they won. You don't want a poll that has best quarterback that loses most Super Bowls, or something. While I agree with the inclusion of Trent Dilfer , he got the job done for the Ravens . They were 5-4 when he took over, and he led them to 11 straight victories. Obviously, the 2000 Ravens defense was the main reason we won, but Trent did his job and managed the game.

I know some wise guys want to add Joe to the list, but remember , he was Super Bowl MVP, and outplayed Luck, Manning, Brady, and Kaepernick in that Super Bowl run, with 11 TD's. , and no INT's in the playoffs. The Ravens just signed TE Owen Daniels, so he now has more weapons. In fairness , give him a little more time until you try to add him to the list.

I have said this before and i will say again, this whole article is quite insulting.

I mean they are players who worked hard their whole life to get what they had and we sit here and discuss about how overrated they were??.

Every one of them deserves what they have.

Please everyone, respect them for what they have achieved in life. There was a reason they were QBs in those teams.

I had been meaning to ask you if you are a Redskins fan or just a fan of RG and how far back you go watching football. I began watching in the early 80's and became enamored with the Joe Gibbs Skins with Theismann, Riggins and the Smurfs. The Pats were not a good team back then so I was always rooting for the Redskins as my second favorite team. I don't think Joe Gibbs ever gets enough credit for winning three SBs with three different QBs, one of which made this list. Not to mention Mark Rypien who could also be on this list.

Skins fan.  My capacity to appreciate Griffin's talents hinges pretty strictly on his ability to be the guy that we've been missing basically since... well... probably Sonny Jurgenson (Theismann came close but ehhh).

In both of his stints Gibbs was a hell of a leader and players' coach in his own way.  The first time around was truly something else but Bill Walsh just happened to (probably deservingly) hog that 80s spotlight.  The second go around showed that he needed a quality GM to really run with it like he did during the Super Bowl years but he still got a lot out of relatively little actual talent.

Skins fan.  My capacity to appreciate Griffin's talents hinges pretty strictly on his ability to be the guy that we've been missing basically since... well... probably Sonny Jurgenson (Theismann came close but ehhh).

In both of his stints Gibbs was a hell of a leader and players' coach in his own way.  The first time around was truly something else but Bill Walsh just happened to (probably deservingly) hog that 80s spotlight.  The second go around showed that he needed a quality GM to really run with it like he did during the Super Bowl years but he still got a lot out of relatively little actual talent.

Gibbs is probably one of the most under-rated men in sports. Not only EXTREMELY successful coach and like you pointed out did it with 3 different qbs but a super successful owner in nascar. He is successful in almost everything he runs. Add on just a great Christian man...well I am just always impressed with him and have read a couple of his books. A great role model and example of a man in sports.

I liked Griese, he was one of the best.

Namath's best season was where he threw for 4,100 yards. That was impressive since it was back in the old days, but his numbers on completions and the TD/INT ratio are very bad. It is not only a sin, but a crime that he is in the Hall of Fame but Kenny Stabler is not. I could make the same argument for many really good QB's that will never make it to the Hall. I use Stabler cause it seriously is a shock that he's not in the Hall.

I'm pretty sure Brian Sipe will never be in any argument for QB's worthy of the Hall back in the old days, but he managed a hell lot better with even less to work with than what Namath had. Sipe would have had a ring too had he been on a better team than those old scrubby Browns teams that got kicked in the teeth every year by much better Houston (Earl Campbell days) and Pittsburgh teams.

What do you think of Mark Rypien?

I'm actually surprised his name hasn't come up yet, cause I know many Skins fans over on the Tecmo forum that call him a disappointment since he had that one really good year in 1991, and then didn't do anything for the rest of his career but sustain injuries.

I don't know what to think of Rypien honestly. I liked him as a kid, cause I had his cards, and I liked him in the Tecmo Super Bowl games cause he could throw bombs, but I never really watched him to know if he was any good. Just asking, since my friends are always bashing him elsewhere.

I had the pleasure of meeting and talking to RG3 at the Ed Block Courage Awards in Baltimore. He is a heck of a nice and polite young man. I hope he has a great season , and gets back to his old self from the previous season. My daughter tore her ACL in lacrosse, and I know it's a brutal injury to come back from. Also met Colt Cory Redding. Wish he was still with the Ravens like Art Jones.

I had the pleasure of meeting and talking to RG3 at the Ed Block Courage Awards in Baltimore. He is a heck of a nice and polite young man. I hope he has a great season , and gets back to his old self from the previous season. My daughter tore her ACL in lacrosse, and I know it's a brutal injury to come back from. Also met Colt Cory Redding. Wish he was still with the Ravens like Art Jones.

I agree about RGIII. A great young man. Sure he will have some bumps along the way but I'm pulling for him to turn that franchise around. He seems to have a good head on his shoulders and considering all the distractions he has to face that isn't easy. Not every qb plays in a small market and gets play outside the pressure and not under the microscope. So far I've seen nothing but a nice young man that a lot of kids in the african american community can aspire to. I'm not saying that they should look up to him but we all know in a world without fathers and positive male role models it isn't bad to have some men to look up to.

I'm actually surprised his name hasn't come up yet, cause I know many Skins fans over on the Tecmo forum that call him a disappointment since he had that one really good year in 1991, and then didn't do anything for the rest of his career but sustain injuries.

I don't know what to think of Rypien honestly. I liked him as a kid, cause I had his cards, and I liked him in the Tecmo Super Bowl games cause he could throw bombs, but I never really watched him to know if he was any good. Just asking, since my friends are always bashing him elsewhere.

Rypien is a former Super Bowl MVP from back in XXVI against Buffalo... and got one as a backup to Doug Williams. I was looking at his info, and shocked to see after 93 he played with 7 teams over the next 7 years including here in Indy in 2001.

Rypien had maybe one of the best deep balls ever. In 1991 the Skins Oline was superb. They routinely gave him 5 seconds or more back there to wait and just throw deep. I believe that team set the points record in '91 which was then broken by the Vikings a few years later. Once he did not have that type of protection, he really struggled to even be a marginal QB.

How come Jim McMahon is not on the list? He has to be top 10 anyways.

. McMahon was a pretty good QB. He fell off quickly, but was very good when he was at the top of his game. Nowhere close to being one of he worst.

I don't think Namath was the worst Super Bowl winning QB, but I do agree hat he is the most overrated of all time. His image was what made him.

. McMahon was a pretty good QB. He fell off quickly, but was very good when he was at the top of his game. Nowhere close to being one of he worst.

I don't think Namath was the worst Super Bowl winning QB, but I do agree hat he is the most overrated of all time. His image was what made him.

In his 15 year career he had 100 Tds to 90 INTs. His career completion percentage was 58. He also never had one season where he started all 16 games. He may not have been the worst but he is on the cusp. If we look at Trent Dilfer as a guy that was carried by his D not sure why McMahon gets a pass when he won his only SB on the team with the best defense ever.

. Bert Jones was extremely overrated.

Bert Jones was definitely not definitely not over rated ,,,He was great,Unfortunitly injuries ended his career to soon,,Although he played thru so many of them in lots of pain,,,,,,,,,,,,And he played in a time where DB's could mug the recievers big time..

Rypien was a marginal talent who just so happened to play behind one of the best groups of offensive linemen ever assembled while also throwing to one of the best receiving corps of his era, not to mention that Gibbs' teams could always run the ball very well and the defense was probably the best in the league the year he won it all as a starter.  I've never considered it coincidence that his numbers fell off a cliff the moment that Monk (and to a lesser extent Clark and Sanders) started to decline.

Namath also barely completed 50% of his passes. I agree wholeheartedly that if Broadway Joe is in Stabler should be without question.

Dude your Avatar is the best one I've seen on a forum ever, and I have seen some pretty funny ones over the years on different forums, but that one totally wins the cake for me.

Rypien was a marginal talent who just so happened to play behind one of the best groups of offensive linemen ever assembled while also throwing to one of the best receiving corps of his era, not to mention that Gibbs' teams could always run the ball very well and the defense was probably the best in the league the year he won it all as a starter.  I've never considered it coincidence that his numbers fell off a cliff the moment that Monk (and to a lesser extent Clark and Sanders) started to decline.

Can't disagree there on anything.

Earnest Byner is one of my favorite backs. I thought he redeemed himself very well with the Skins even though he's sadly remembered for being the fumbler in Cleveland despite having a ring with the Skins.

I read years ago that Rypien was sacked less than 15 times in 1991, very impressive, and yes that defense was scary. I've seen a dozen of the 1991 Skins games, and they were total monsters. That defense has to be one of the most aggressive of the 90's era. I've debated with a few people on weather they were lucky or "overrated" that year, cause looking back at the tape of that defense is very scary. I don't think any defense in the past decade has come close to them when it comes to hard hits and down right mean football.

Dude your Avatar is the best one I've seen on a forum ever, and I have seen some pretty funny ones over the years on different forums, but that one totally wins the cake for me.

Kurt Cobain dressed as Barney... at a Halloween show in 93.

Bert Jones was definitely not definitely not over rated ,,,He was great,Unfortunitly injuries ended his career to soon,,Although he played thru so many of them in lots of pain,,,,,,,,,,,,And he played in a time where DB's could mug the recievers big time..

He was "not definitely not over rated"?  I'm not sure what you're saying there.

. Bert Jones was extremely overrated.

u got to be crazy Bert Jones was great and he is the reason the Balt, Colts were so terrific in the mid 70's,,,,,,,,,,,,To bad for his injuries shortened his career ..........Even a few yrs after his retirement a San Diago Charger owner or GM saw him (Jones) throw at some QB completion and offered him 4million to sign w/ the Chargers but Jones was one hit away from a concousion that'd of messed him up Jones declined

u got to be crazy Bert Jones was great and he is the reason the Balt, Colts were so terrific in the mid 70's,,,,,,,,,,,,To bad for his injuries shortened his career ..........Even a few yrs after his retirement a San Diago Charger owner or GM saw him (Jones) throw at some QB completion and offered him 4million to sign w/ the Chargers but Jones was one hit away from a concousion that'd of messed him up Jones declined

Bert Jones was awesome !