Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Top 5 worst QB's to win a SuperBowl

Narcosys

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

u got to be crazy Bert Jones was great and he is the reason the Balt, Colts were so terrific in the mid 70's,,,,,,,,,,,,To bad for his injuries shortened his career ..........Even a few yrs after his retirement a San Diago Charger owner or GM saw him (Jones) throw at some QB completion and offered him 4million to sign w/ the Chargers but Jones was one hit away from a concousion that'd of messed him up Jones declined

Jones was not "great". He was just OK. He had a couple of good years, but overall he was quite average. He might be a sentimental favorite with some Baltimore Colts fans, but that's guided by .... Well, sentiment.

Actually, I think Bert jones was a classic example of an underachiever. I think he could have been a top QB, but he lacked the drive it took to achieve that level of play.

I don't think so. He led the Colts to three division Championships on 1975, 76, and 77. He was the AP Most Valuable player , and Offensive Player of the Year in 1976. John Riggins described Jones as the toughest quarterback he ever saw, and Bill Bellichick said he was the best pure passer. He was injured in 78 and 79, and the Colts plunged to last place like the Indy Colts did without Manning. He was traded to the Rams, but further injuries curtailed his career. He accomplished much of this despite the incompetent ownership of Bob Irsay. I think he was a top quarterback during that era, he definately had the drive and toughness, but injuries killed a promising career.

Jones was not "great". He was just OK. He had a couple of good years, but overall he was quite average. He might be a sentimental favorite with some Baltimore Colts fans, but that's guided by .... Well, sentiment.

Quite average,He was the mastermind player of those great Baltimore mid 70's Colt teams.........The stats from QBs back in the 70's 60's are differe nt from QB's f today the rules of the gamre are different and the NFL has made it sure to be a QB leaugue for the fans so the fans can see high scoring,,,,,,,,,They made the QB's untouchable w/ rules so its had to sack them,,,,,,back in the 70's and before u could literally murder a QB and get away w/ it...........The Steelers were a great team back in the Jones era perhaps the greatest team ever,And we lost to the Steelers as well as a great Oakland   Raiders in one of the greatest playoff games the double over time game which the Colts actually should of won.........Just like in the Manning yhrs w/ the Colts the Pats stopped us in the playoffs as well as the Steelers,,,,,,,,,,,Jones was one tough Mfer,,,,,,,,,,,,and Belicheck who was a coach for the Baltimore Colts in the 70's praised Jones as VERY SPECIAL,,,,,,,,,On the NFL Network talking about great QBs of the 70's Bert Jones was in the top ten and many felt he should have bee  closer or #1,,,,,,but his injuries didn't make that possible,,,,,,,,,He had I think the best completion rating at a time when the DB's could mug the receivers big time.....Jones was spoken of as the toughest B players had ever seen as well as Jones having the strongest arm people had ever seen,He was a big guy 6'3 or 6'3 and 1/2....And  the owners of the Colts at that time let many f the Colts offensive stars go so Jones didn't have them anymore,,,,,,,,

Quite average,He was the mastermind player of those great Baltimore mid 70's Colt teams.........The stats from QBs back in the 70's 60's are differe nt from QB's f today the rules of the gamre are different and the NFL has made it sure to be a QB leaugue for the fans so the fans can see high scoring,,,,,,,,,They made the QB's untouchable w/ rules so its had to sack them,,,,,,back in the 70's and before u could literally murder a QB and get away w/ it...........The Steelers were a great team back in the Jones era perhaps the greatest team ever,And we lost to the Steelers as well as a great Oakland   Raiders in one of the greatest playoff games the double over time game which the Colts actually should of won.........Just like in the Manning yhrs w/ the Colts the Pats stopped us in the playoffs as well as the Steelers,,,,,,,,,,,Jones was one tough Mfer,,,,,,,,,,,,and Belicheck who was a coach for the Baltimore Colts in the 70's praised Jones as VERY SPECIAL,,,,,,,,,On the NFL Network talking about great QBs of the 70's Bert Jones was in the top ten and many felt he should have bee  closer or #1,,,,,,but his injuries didn't make that possible,,,,,,,,,He had I think the best completion rating at a time when the DB's could mug the receivers big time.....Jones was spoken of as the toughest B players had ever seen as well as Jones having the strongest arm people had ever seen,He was a big guy 6'3 or 6'3 and 1/2....And  the owners of the Colts at that time let many f the Colts offensive stars go so Jones didn't have them anymore,,,,,,,,

Nice post. Many of the people making blanket statements like the one you corrected, or the guy who said Unitas didn't play in SB 5 , really need to hit the history books before they comment . Some of these statements are quite shocking in their inaccuracy.

Nice post. Many of the people making blanket statements like the one you corrected, or the guy who said Unitas didn't play in SB 5 , really need to hit the history books before they comment . Some of these statements are quite shocking in their inaccuracy.

True,And so many people,,,,,,,,,,do make statements w/out knowing what the heck they are talking about

Actually, I think Bert jones was a classic example of an underachiever. I think he could have been a top QB, but he lacked the drive it took to achieve that level of play.

Wrong. he lacked the supporting cast. He was on the verge of becoming a legend and injuries slowed him and then the team went to pot and he floundered. Circumstances my friend.

Wrong. he lacked the supporting cast. He was on the verge of becoming a legend and injuries slowed him and then the team went to pot and he floundered. Circumstances my friend.

Yes the team went bad after  that 1977 Colts Raiders playoff game double overtime,,,,,,,We lost Lydell Mitchell Dutton Raymond Chester and a few other's if we had retain them we woud of cont to be good -Plus Jones had those shoulder injuries

If u think Jones was just ok U clearly do not know football well

There are always reasons, excuses or mitigating circumstances behind every story.

I've forgotten more about football than you have ever known or ever will.

I hear u,,,,,,,,,,Jones was great ,and he also gave up his body to make plays and played hurt dispite painful injuries,,,,,,,,,,Just wish the Baltimore Colts couod of made it to the Sbowl w/ Jones they were good enough to have done it,,,,,,,,,,

I hear u,,,,,,,,,,Jones was great ,and he also gave up his body to make plays and played hurt dispite painful injuries,,,,,,,,,,Just wish the Baltimore Colts couod of made it to the Sbowl w/ Jones they were good enough to have done it,,,,,,,,,,

Obviously they weren't good enough. They lost their first playoff game in each of their three playoff season with Jones. Usually by a fairly lopsided score. The Colts had a sub .500 record with him as the QB.

Playing with injuries is not something which was unique to him. If he was "great" why isn't he in the Hall of Fame? Why isn't he even in consideration for the HOF? That's where the "greats" get recognized. He isn't because he was not a "great" QB.

Obviously they weren't good enough. They lost their first playoff game in each of their three playoff season with Jones. Usually by a fairly lopsided score. The Colts had a sub .500 record with him as the QB.

Playing with injuries is not something which was unique to him. If he was "great" why isn't he in the Hall of Fame? Why isn't he even in consideration for the HOF? That's where the "greats" get recognized. He isn't because he was not a "great" QB.

Football is the ultimate team game. There have been plenty of great QB's who played on bad teams and their win percentage was not good. There are plenty of great players, regardless of position, that are not in the hall of fame. Was Bert jones good enough to make it to the hall? We'll never know because the injuries took their toll and affected his play. Call it what you want but the fact is that we'll never know what a healthy Jones would have done. In his first 3 seasons as a full time starter the Colts made the playoffs. The first 2 years they were bounced by the Steelers who dominated the 1970's and the 3rd year they lost in OT to the Raiders in one of the most memorable playoff games in NFL history. After that, there were 3 seasons where Jones never played more that 4 games because of injuries until 1980 and 81 where when he returned and played on bad teams he still managed to put up pretty good numbers. A serious spinal condition ended his career.

For his era Jones was one of the best QB's for a short period of time. His passer rating is seasons where he did start most of the season were really really good. By definition was his career up there with the all-time greats? No, but there's plenty of evidence to indicate that had he not gotten hurt he certainly could have been

Just to add, as an 8 year old kid living in Iowa and not having a local team to root for it was the 1977 playoff game and Bert Jones are the reason that I have been a life long Colts fan. Watching that game on TV was one of my first memories of really exciting football and even though the Colts lost I had taken up rooting for them during the game and have every since.

Football is the ultimate team game. There have been plenty of great QB's who played on bad teams and their win percentage was not good. There are plenty of great players, regardless of position, that are not in the hall of fame. Was Bert jones good enough to make it to the hall? We'll never know because the injuries took their toll and affected his play. Call it what you want but the fact is that we'll never know what a healthy Jones would have done. In his first 3 seasons as a full time starter the Colts made the playoffs. The first 2 years they were bounced by the Steelers who dominated the 1970's and the 3rd year they lost in OT to the Raiders in one of the most memorable playoff games in NFL history. After that, there were 3 seasons where Jones never played more that 4 games because of injuries until 1980 and 81 where when he returned and played on bad teams he still managed to put up pretty good numbers. A serious spinal condition ended his career.

For his era Jones was one of the best QB's for a short period of time. His passer rating is seasons where he did start most of the season were really really good. By definition was his career up there with the all-time greats? No, but there's plenty of evidence to indicate that had he not gotten hurt he certainly could have been

Just to add, as an 8 year old kid living in Iowa and not having a local team to root for it was the 1977 playoff game and Bert Jones are the reason that I have been a life long Colts fan. Watching that game on TV was one of my first memories of really exciting football and even though the Colts lost I had taken up rooting for them during the game and have every since.

Bill Belichick did refer to Bert ad the most talented QB he has ever worked with.

Bill Belichick did refer to Bert ad the most talented QB he has ever worked with.

I actually believe the quote was, best pure passer, he had ever seen.

Q: What doesn't come back in your experience?

BB: I think those injuries could affect anybody. I've seen plenty of guys not come back from them or combination of things. Bert Jones. When I was in Baltimore, Bert Jones he look like as good a quarterback as there was going to be in the National Football League, for two or three year player...whatever it was at that point...like his first four or five years in the league, I can't imagine a quarterback looking any better than him in those first five years. They might've been one or two, but I can't imagine there being very many. Once he hurt his shoulder in '78 or '79, whichever year it was, he was never the same. That was pretty much it. He never really came back. I was with him in...I guess it was his second year, but looking back on it I would say, one on one guy, based on where Bert was his second or third year in the league, I can't imagine you could take too many guys over him. He could do it all. He was great. Once he got hurt, it was never the same.

Q: Could he really throw the ball over 100 yards?

BB: Bert Jones, he could do just about anything he wanted to do. I bet he could throw it 100 yards. Yeah, I bet he could. It was like a slingshot. And he had so much flexibility in his shoulder. He did what I've never seen anybody do is when you were playing catch with him and he would be thrown the ball like this, Bert would release the ball back behind his head, like this, and you catch it and you kind of [say], 'Did he just throw that ball behind his head?' Because it happened so fast and you'd [say], 'Hey, can you do that again?'

Q: In a tight spiral?

BB: You couldn't tell the difference. You're standing there playing catch with him and you're saying to yourself, '[Man] he just threw that behind his head,' and you think you'd saw it wrong. But he would do that everyday just when he was warming up playing catch. Athletic. Good run. Tough. He was a great competitor. Whatever you want a quarterback to do, I would say that Bert could do it. Now he couldn't start at LSU, other than that, he could do it. They alternated him down there. He played, whatever, every other quarter his senior year, whatever it was. Similar to the [Tom] Brady situation really where he couldn't play in college but is one of the best quarterbacks in the league.

Jones and the Colts meet up w/ probably the greatest team in NFL history the Steelers in 2 of the losses,the other was a dramatic Double OT game against the Raiders which we should of won,,,,,,,,,Just like Peyton as great as he is he lost to the Pats numerous times,,,,,,,,,,,before finally beating them and then the Colts beat a sub par Bears team in the SB..

Jones injuries were servere enough that he had to retire many shoulder injuries,,,,,,,,including many concussions,,,,,,,,He was smart enough to retire before bad brain injuries,,,,,,and if ur throwing are is constantly hurt what are u supposed to do just the breaks f the game

Jones was 43 - 45 for his career with the Colts.  Not exactly an eye popping win / loss percentage.

Are you kidding with this comment ? Jones manages to win three division titles under one of the most incompetent ownership eras in

league history under Bob Irsay. They had three winning season in Irsay 's twelve years in Baltimore , and Bert Jones led them to all three. As already pointed out, the playoff losses were to dynasty Steeler and Raider teams of the 1970's. When Jones got injured , everything fell apart like it did in Indy when Manning went down . It just shows you how good Jones and Manning were. 43-45 isn't bad when you examine the overall Bob Irsay record in Baltimore.

Are you kidding with this comment ? Jones manages to win three division titles under one of the most incompetent ownership eras in

league history under Bob Irsay. They had three winning season in Irsay 's twelve years in Baltimore , and Bert Jones led them to all three. As already pointed out, the playoff losses were to dynasty Steeler and Raider teams of the 1970's. When Jones got injured , everything fell apart like it did in Indy when Manning went down . It just shows you how good Jones and Manning were. 43-45 isn't bad when you examine the overall Bob Irsay record in Baltimore.

The fact remains, he had a losing record as a starting QB. Losing is not synonymous with greatness.

The fact remains, he had a losing record as a starting QB. Losing is not synonymous with greatness.

Depends on what your definition of greatness is. Is he Unitas or Manning, no, but he was one of the better quarterbacks in the mid seventies. The fact that he was almost 500 under Bob Irsay was almost a miracle. He was a great quarterback for a short period of time in that era, but because of injuries, he is not an all time great of the caliber of Unitas or Manning. However, he was fairly dominant during that time frame compared to his peers.

As far as Baltimore Colts quarterbacks all time, I would place him second behind Unitas, but ahead of Morrall . The NFL channel had the Super Bowl 3 game on, and every time I watch it, I'm expecting the Colts to finally win the game like they always should have. Had they started Unitas by at least half time, they still could have won that game.

He was a pretty good runningback tho.

The wrong warner. I guess the C got you flummoxed? Next time I'll be more accurate so you can understand.

But then the running back Warner never played for the Cardinals, so maybe you were just trolling?

The wrong warner. I guess the C got you flummoxed? Next time I'll be more accurate so you can understand.

But then the running back Warner never played for the Cardinals, so maybe you were just trolling?

It was a joke..you know...ha-ha?

Namath was a cocky, and a true showman if there ever was one. The guy would walk the sidelines wearing fur coats in the 70's. I will unfortunately remember him more for getting drunk, and trying to kiss a sideline reporter... and his near botch of the coin toss in last years Super Bowl. Stat wise he was a lot like Bradshaw in that as a qb he wasn't putting up super numbers. The run to Super Bowl III against the Baltimore Colts was his one shining moment.

He was also known for his very suggestive photographs of him exposing his hairy bare chest. Twas quite disgusting. Google it, if you dare.

Then the Cardinals going to the Super Bowl under the ownership of Bill Bidwell was a miracle of biblical proportions and Curt Warner is the greatest football player in NFL history.

I would say Warner was a very good quarterback to get Bidwell in a Super Bowl. Like Jones, he was a very good quarterback for a small period of time.

Bradshaws records in super bowls- 4 super bowl wins in 4 tries. 58% passing- 9 TDs with 4 interceptions- Passer rating of 112.7. League MVP in 1978- 2 super bowl MVPs- Hall of Famer- All of this with numurous injuries for most of his carreer. Rated #44 of the greatest NFL players ever by Sporting News. He also rushed for 32 TDs in his carreer. For you to even make the comment that Bradshaw wasn't a good player is very short sighted to the point of blindness.

Even Stevie Wonder could see that he is not that good.