Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Espn: Peyton Manning Would Leave Colts 'peacefully' If They Drafted Andrew Luck

bayone

Peyton Manning would walk away (or be traded) from the Colts 'peacefully' if the team drafted Andrew Luck No. 1 overall in the 2012 NFL Draft, it's kind of crazy around here.

Here are Laura's Tweets from earlier this morning:

ESPN NFL Sunday Countdown: If #Colts took Luck, #Manning would believe Luck should start, so he (#18) would leave peacefully

ESPN NFL Sunday Countdown: Option on Manning is scheduled for March 8. Gives #Colts from March 5 to March 8 to trade him if they decide to

I personally didn't see this ESPN countdown segment, but Laura (who used to work with me here at Stampede Blue) is a strong source to follow on this.

http://www.stampedeb...if-they-drafted

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to know the source also. I have a hard time believing peyton would be saying that to anyone,at this point in the season. NO WAY i take luck, other than trade bait, if peyton would want out of indy. Imo, If peyton is healthy and he doesnt want luck to back him up....then bye bye luck!

Wow, can espn find something else to write about then make up stories. Stop talking about a guy thats not even playing right now and worry about something else. Go back to the Penn State Scandal, they only talked about the 24/7 everywhere for the past 4 days or so.

This is just silly. PM can be the starter for the next 4 years, and we can draft Luck. We can compensate both, PM doesn't have to leave, and I'll be freagin ticked if he leaves, I mean, I know he can't play forever, but he can't leave when he's still playing well.

I would like to know the source also. I have a hard time believing peyton would be saying that to anyone,at this point in the season. NO WAY i take luck, other than trade bait, if peyton would want out of indy. Imo, If peyton is healthy and he doesnt want luck to back him up....then bye bye luck!

A couple of days ago during the media scrum: "We're in full disclosure with each other," Manning said. "If I'm not healthy in February, I think it's fair for the Colts to make their decision."

there is your source. straight from the top.

ESPN has mentioned a specific date based on his contract extension, but Peyton's decision will be made sooner, in February, just like he said.

This is just silly. PM can be the starter for the next 4 years, and we can draft Luck. We can compensate both, PM doesn't have to leave, and I'll be freagin ticked if he leaves, I mean, I know he can't play forever, but he can't leave when he's still playing well.

I know people like to dream of the Manning to Luck transition..but imo it will never happen.

Edited by Jason

A couple of days ago during the media scrum: "We're in full disclosure with each other," Manning said. "If I'm not healthy in February, I think it's fair for the Colts to make their decision."

there is your source. straight from the top.

ESPN has mentioned a specific date based on his contract extension, but Peyton's decision will be made sooner, in February, just like he said.

I know that quote, its not the same thing, this also means Peyton is OK and draft Luck Manning would bow out as he belives # 1 pick QB should start

I don't get everyone on here screaming for Luck. If anything the last couple of years worth of draft picks has shown is that there is no can't miss college player. He could be the next Ryan Leaf for all we know. You have to calm down and see what happens to Manning, see if he's healthy. The man deserves to play in a Colt uniform as long as he wants. If he's healthy draft tools on defense and weapons on offense and some free agents to get him another couple of rings. You know what you have with Manning, with Luck I'm just not ready to believe the hype and I'm not ready to throw Manning away. EVER HEAR OF LOYALTY.......guess not.

I don't get everyone on here screaming for Luck. If anything the last couple of years worth of draft picks has shown is that there is no can't miss college player. He could be the next Ryan Leaf for all we know. You have to calm down and see what happens to Manning, see if he's healthy. The man deserves to play in a Colt uniform as long as he wants. If he's healthy draft tools on defense and weapons on offense and some free agents to get him another couple of rings. You know what you have with Manning, with Luck I'm just not ready to believe the hype and I'm not ready to throw Manning away. EVER HEAR OF LOYALTY.......guess not.

so, hypothetically, when he announces in February that he is no where near where he needs to be, and asks for a release, and the Colts draft Luck, you wont be excited? nervous for sure, cause nothing is a sure bet, but not excited?

no way peyton said this to the media

I agree and I think right now Peyton's concern is getting better and he's not thinking of the draft and Luck. He has more on his plate than worrying about the draft. Peyton doesn't talk to the media that much right now it's all speculation on their part and evidently they have nothing else to talk about. They need to leave things alone.

so, hypothetically, when he announces in February that he is no where near where he needs to be, and asks for a release, and the Colts draft Luck, you wont be excited? nervous for sure, cause nothing is a sure bet, but not excited?

Not really until Luck or any QB can prove himself to be a NFL QB. Sorry not the answer you expected but Luck may be a fine QB but until he proves he can play in the NFL why get overly excited. Who knows he may decide to finish his senior year if he doesn't like who would get the #1 pick. Right now I can't see any player wanting to play with the fiasco this organization is in.

1.Would he even work in the current system and why would we go over Painter when it should be his job?

2.Why would Manning have to leave?This is his team and he shouldn't have to leave.He could fill a coaching position just fine.To ask him to leave would be just disrespectful after all he has done for the Colts and Indy.

I don't want to see Peyton in another uniform ever

My thoughts exactly. I don't know what I'd do if I saw PM in a different uniform. This is PM's team, I don't care if we get Luck or not, if Manning is healthy, he is a Colt...at least that's how I see it. In my opinion the best option for the franchise if Peyton Manning is back to his old self is IF we have the first pick, trade it and get some veteran players(defense preferred) and let's give PM the best chance we can to win a couple SBs before he retires, pull an Elway. I would rather have 4 more years with a healthy PM than 10 years with a rookie that we don't know will fit in...I mean he could be another Ryan Leaf.

My thoughts exactly. I don't know what I'd do if I saw PM in a different uniform. This is PM's team, I don't care if we get Luck or not, if Manning is healthy, he is a Colt...at least that's how I see it. In my opinion the best option for the franchise if Peyton Manning is back to his old self is IF we have the first pick, trade it and get some veteran players(defense preferred) and let's give PM the best chance we can to win a couple SBs before he retires, pull an Elway. I would rather have 4 more years with a healthy PM than 10 years with a rookie that we don't know will fit in...I mean he could be another Ryan Leaf.

Agreed. The only way I'm even partially comfortable drafting Luck is by a)Manning retiring B) New GM, HC,OC,DC, etc, and a team being built by with defense first. If Manning can return and is healthy, auction off the draft pick to the highest bidder and start to fill in some holes that we have, along with a new GM, HC, OC, & DC.

I don't want to see Peyton in another uniform ever

Thank you.

I'm sick of this speculation that essentially has the Colts tossing Peyton Manning aside for Luck, like the Buccaneers threw Coach Dungy overboard to get Gruden.

No offense to anyone whether they be in the front office or on the couch at home, but Peyton manning has earned more loyalty that this. It disgusts me personally to see the fevered speculation about all of this. Yes, I know football is a business, but it's also a team sport that works on team moral, loyalty and players playing for reasons other than a pay check. Just as fans support a team for things other than their record. I support the Colts because I thought that the Colts organization was different. the Colts were the 'good' guys of the NFL that believe in values like loyalty, honor, duty, doing the right thing because it's the right thing. That was the attitude of the team, the players, the fans, the organization, the city, the stadium, everything - up until this year for sure, and perhaps last as well.

OK, I know, not entirely on topic in this thread, but still....

Either way, if the Colts part ways with a healthy Peyton Manning because they have decided to go after Andrew Luck, they are not the organization I thought they were, and the shine will definitely have gone off the horseshoe.

I'm with you on this.

Peyton's health is going to be the factor, and if he's not healthy and we have a the 1 pick and don't take luck i'd be surprised and a bit miffed. All of this losing is forcing Irsays hand to have to make this tough choice.

Edited by The Fish

I agree that this just sounds like media speculation and an attempt to drum up a story. Last I checked, Peyton wasn't even entertaining questions on this topic so I doubt that he would start spilling his guts to a random reporter all of a sudden. Manning is just focusing on trying to get healthy so he can get back on that field.

Thank you.

I'm sick of this speculation that essentially has the Colts tossing Peyton Manning aside for Luck, like the Buccaneers threw Coach Dungy overboard to get Gruden.

No offense to anyone whether they be in the front office or on the couch at home, but Peyton manning has earned more loyalty that this. It disgusts me personally to see the fevered speculation about all of this. Yes, I know football is a business, but it's also a team sport that works on team moral, loyalty and players playing for reasons other than a pay check. Just as fans support a team for things other than their record. I support the Colts because I thought that the Colts organization was different. the Colts were the 'good' guys of the NFL that believe in values like loyalty, honor, duty, doing the right thing because it's the right thing. That was the attitude of the team, the players, the fans, the organization, the city, the stadium, everything - up until this year for sure, and perhaps last as well.

OK, I know, not entirely on topic in this thread, but still....

Either way, if the Colts part ways with a healthy Peyton Manning because they have decided to go after Andrew Luck, they are not the organization I thought they were, and the shine will definitely have gone off the horseshoe.

AGREED, Peyton Put this team on the map, he got Indy the Stadium, help fund a children s hospital ,. has done a j host of other things unselfishly for this and other cities, He is Mr Indianapolis and deserves all the loyalty one can imagine then carry that out to infinity

Edited by bayone

I don't think it will even come down to all of this. I'm pretty sure by March the Colts will probably know whether Manning's career is over or not. If he can go maybe we draft somebody else if he can't we take Luck. I think Manning realizes the predicament the team would be in by holding onto him a long time for a healing or recovery that may never happen. Regardless I still say by March doctors will have a very good idea whether he is done or not. The draft is not until April.

Look I'm just saying that you could probably draft a lower round quarterback to be a better back up than painter or even try to find a free agent quarterback, but make a better choice than Kerry Collins, that was probably a panic signing anyway. Peyton at 60% or even 70% is still probably better than 90% of the quarterbacks in the league right now who are healthy. I think the whole 3 to 4 months and he could play statement was probably a long shot. I say you let him sit this year except for practice if he can. I just don't understand everybody giving up on him. I really think most of you have only been Colts fans since Peyton arrived, and don't remember all the awful years this team had in the past.