Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

0-line must be addressed

TheJACKCOLT

I love everything Grigson has done in free agency so far this offseason. He has resigned the players that needed to be resigned. Jones is the player I wanted the most for our D-line, as he can play DT and DE and brings a real toughness to the defense, as well as Jackson, tough veteran leadership, great moves. The signing of Nicks, and the price we got him for, is on the verge of genius. We still need a free safety and I think he has a plan, whether in the draft or a veteran starter (maybe both). My biggest concern, and the teams number one priority, for the last two seasons, is the O-line. We have so much talent at the skill positions, solid running back rotation, a great mixture of youth and veteran talent at wide receiver, two of the best young TE's in the game and the very best young QB in the NFL, the sky is the limit with this group

We have got to upgrade the O-line, all this talent will go to waste if we have a below average O-line. The last two seasons we have had one of the worst O-lines in the NFL. We don't even have to have a great O-line, with all the talent we have, we just need average to good O-line. With a good 0-line this team would be unstoppable, but with a poor O-line this team will continue to be very inconsistent and continue to put our franchise QB at risk. Luck has taken a pounding in his first two seasons and it's been a true testament to his toughness, but as tough as he is, he can't continue to take the beating he's been taking. I hope Griggs has a plan in place, because I know that Griggs, has to knows how important it is for this team to field a good O-line. Getting Alex Mack would be unbelievable, and the best free agent signing of the season, for any team. I believe Griggs will do anything, to try and get Mack signed. The question is how long is he willing to wait, before he goes to plan B, because either way, we've got to have an upgrade at the center position, as well as another guard for depth, if not another starter.

I guess I just expected the O-line to be the first thing addressed in free agency, since it was our top priority, and I know Griggs is not through yet, but with Evan Dietrich-Smith being signed, I'm starting to get a little worried, The remaining centers are all well below Mack and Dietrich-smith, even Brian De La Puente is not any better than some of the other remaining centers and well below Mack and Dietrich-Smith. Mack would make this O-line very good, his pre play calls and adjustments are what sets him apart and he has plenty of physical tools to go with that talent. I guess we just have to trust that Griggs knows what he's doing and has a plan, because upgrading this O-line is still priority one, and with or without Mack, moves have to be made. Here's to hoping the Colts can field a good O-line this season. ""GO COLTS""

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

guess we're trying to set a record of o line topics but i don't agree i think we need to either sign mack or move to sign de la puente before we don't have any other options at center and i'd rather spend the money we have on a decent starter like brian instead of a 35 year old bad one game and good another center like goodwin or david bass *shutters* if we really want to upgrade the o line we'll either go all in for mack or sign de la puente to a reasonable deal and save a little money and still get a solid starter to upgrade the line

We're not getting Mack. I wish Cleveland would just sign him to a new 3-6 year contract so I can stop seeing his name on this forum. It's really getting old

:deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:

well if we're finally talking realistically who do you want to go after to upgrade the C position TKnight?

well if we're finally talking realistically who do you want to go after to upgrade the C position TKnight?

Draft, FA (Not Mack), or trust Holmes or Costco (whatever his name is)

Grigson has said time & time again he's not chasing names. He's chasing people who fit what we wanna do here & are ballers. The fact that we signed Nicks & Jones this off-season surprised me since both are kinda big name guy's.

I don't see Grigson paying a center $12 million+ for ONE season. That's stupid. For $12 million Grigson could work his magic & sign 2-3 player's

Grigson has said time & time again he's not chasing names. He's chasing people who fit what we wanna do here & are ballers. The fact that we signed Nicks & Jones this off-season surprised me since both are kinda big name guy's.

I don't see Grigson paying a center $12 million+ for ONE season. That's stupid. For $12 million Grigson could work his magic & sign 2-3 player's

i would never give mack close to that ridiculous i suspect if we go after anyone it will be for maybe 3 years 9 million if we could get de la puente for 3 mil a year and save close to 11 million after we sign our draft picks and maybe a cheap safety or guard i think we would be in a great position to have enough money to resign castonzo and our other FA's next year

i would never give mack close to that ridiculous i suspect if we go after anyone it will be for maybe 3 years 9 million if we could get de la puente for 3 mil a year and save close to 11 million after we sign our draft picks and maybe a cheap safety or guard i think we would be in a great position to have enough money to resign castonzo and our other FA's next year

But that's what y'all not understanding. Mack will cost $10 million+ for ONE year. Browns are baiting people into a deal. Grigson is good at managing our cap. Like I said, with the $18 million (think that's what the Colts writer's said we have left) Grigson can sign 3-5 player's who could help instead of throwing all that money at one player

But that's what y'all not understanding. Mack will cost $10 million+ for ONE year. Browns are baiting people into a deal. Grigson is good at managing our cap. Like I said, with the $18 million (think that's what the Colts writer's said we have left) Grigson can sign 3-5 player's who could help instead of throwing all that money at one player

There isn't anything in NFL rules that says you have to spend every last dime (or last million bucks) on free agents. I believe that money could be rolled into next year, giving the Colts some flexibility to retain or go after some critical needs that might be more important than what's facing them this year. There may not be anyone left out there that the FO and coaching staff see as being either good values or good fits. To paraphrase the TV commercial disclaimers: These are professionals.  Don't try this at home.

There isn't anything in NFL rules that says you have to spend every last dime (or last million bucks) on free agents. I believe that money could be rolled into next year, giving the Colts some flexibility to retain or go after some critical needs that might be more important than what's facing them this year. There may not be anyone left out there that the FO and coaching staff see as being either good values or good fits. To paraphrase the TV commercial disclaimers: These are professionals. Don't try this at home.

Never said we had to spend it. I said "can".

It'd be good to save it cause Mr. Andrew Luck is getting paid next off-season for sure

The Browns really * me off with how they've handled Mack. He obviously wants out and it seems to me they've just decided "* Mack. We'll force you to stay with us in your best oppurtunity to cash in and win games, and when you're older and still haven't tasted a good team we'll let you go"

If I was Mack after this I'd resent Cleveland.

Got rid of Satele = best move of the offseason. Addition by subtraction

Let Holmes enter camp as starter and battle it out with Costa.

Think he will add another Guard in the draft to compete with Thornton. And a late round swing tackles to replace Linkenbach(unless Nixon is still under contract)

I love everything Grigson has done in free agency so far this offseason. He has resigned the players that needed to be resigned. Jones is the player I wanted the most for our D-line, as he can play DT and DE and brings a real toughness to the defense, as well as Jackson, tough veteran leadership, great moves. The signing of Nicks, and the price we got him for, is on the verge of genius. We still need a free safety and I think he has a plan, whether in the draft or a veteran starter (maybe both). My biggest concern, and the teams number one priority, for the last two seasons, is the O-line. We have so much talent at the skill positions, solid running back rotation, a great mixture of youth and veteran talent at wide receiver, two of the best young TE's in the game and the very best young QB in the NFL, the sky is the limit with this group

We have got to upgrade the O-line, all this talent will go to waste if we have a below average O-line. The last two seasons we have had one of the worst O-lines in the NFL. We don't even have to have a great O-line, with all the talent we have, we just need average to good O-line. With a good 0-line this team would be unstoppable, but with a poor O-line this team will continue to be very inconsistent and continue to put our franchise QB at risk. Luck has taken a pounding in his first two seasons and it's been a true testament to his toughness, but as tough as he is, he can't continue to take the beating he's been taking. I hope Griggs has a plan in place, because I know that Griggs, has to knows how important it is for this team to field a good O-line. Getting Alex Mack would be unbelievable, and the best free agent signing of the season, for any team. I believe Griggs will do anything, to try and get Mack signed. The question is how long is he willing to wait, before he goes to plan B, because either way, we've got to have an upgrade at the center position, as well as another guard for depth, if not another starter.

I guess I just expected the O-line to be the first thing addressed in free agency, since it was our top priority, and I know Griggs is not through yet, but with Evan Dietrich-Smith being signed, I'm starting to get a little worried, The remaining centers are all well below Mack and Dietrich-smith, even Brian De La Puente is not any better than some of the other remaining centers and well below Mack and Dietrich-Smith. Mack would make this O-line very good, his pre play calls and adjustments are what sets him apart and he has plenty of physical tools to go with that talent. I guess we just have to trust that Griggs knows what he's doing and has a plan, because upgrading this O-line is still priority one, and with or without Mack, moves have to be made. Here's to hoping the Colts can field a good O-line this season. ""GO COLTS""

I am not quiite following you...you seem pleased overall yet still worried about something.  Very worried.  I'll re-read your post to see if I can pick up on it, but I am concerned that there is something on your mind yet unspoken..... :D

I'm not sure but I kind of think Grigson is going to make a play for Mack. If we don't upgrade the O-line our offense will be playing with a huge handicap. A lot of the success of the Broncos offense was because they had a very good O-line. We're 1 good interior O-lineman away from being formidable imo.

Got rid of Satele = best move of the offseason. Addition by subtraction

Let Holmes enter camp as starter and battle it out with Costa.

Think he will add another Guard in the draft to compete with Thornton. And a late round swing tackles to replace Linkenbach(unless Nixon is still under contract)

Didn't Nixon play G in the Kansas City regular season game & made the key block that sprung Donald loose on the TD run?

Why not let him battle Thornton for the other Guard spot?

Didn't Nixon play G in the Kansas City regular season game & made the key block that sprung Donald loose on the TD run?

Why not let him battle Thornton for the other Guard spot?

Nixon is really a tackle though, I have him as our swing tackle if he is still on the roster and not a free agent

We're not getting Mack. I wish Cleveland would just sign him to a new 3-6 year contract so I can stop seeing his name on this forum. It's really getting old

:deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:

I would say it is not likely we're getting Mack.

But I wouldn't say it's impossible.     I think there's a chance.

I think there's a plan in place.    It may, or may not happen.     I think at some point,  we'll extend an offer and the Browns will or won't match.       I think it's likely that they'll match.    But I don't think it's certain.

I think Mack's agent has an idea how to structure an offer so they won't match.   I suspect we're on board with that.

Whether it's true or not we won't know.    I think we may not know for another 4-5 weeks.   But, it will be known before the draft.

So........  some patience will be required as this all plays out.

Hearing so much hype about Mack I thought we may pick him up.  Now I can tell it's pretty unrealistic, but I bet we still give him an offer.  Overall, I wanted to land EDS because he would be much cheaper and still very talented.  After seeing him crossed of the list now it's BDLP.  When will it ever end people?  I am aboard of starting the season as is.  Ive looked into Costa and I don't think he's as bad as what people has made him out to be.  Afterall, Polian has Costa rated as a C+ and BDLP as a C.  Not that it means a whole lot, because we all know about some of his biased opinions.  Just a thought though.

I'd say there is no way we pay Mack 10+ million which means he's probably going back to Cleveland. I'd like to see us get De La Puente and have Costa and Thornton battle it out for the last G spot. Would love to see T-Rich, Vick, and Bradshaw with some solid blocking! It's been too long since Edge left to see a solid running game.

Problem is.. Having 2 or 3 okay o-lineman isn't always as good as having one solid one..Last year was dreadful with the offensive line and half the time our skill players could not do their jobs! We gotta take some pressure off luck this year! With a good offensive line this team would be a top 3 team in the league!!! No doubt in my mind

I am not quiite following you...you seem pleased overall yet still worried about something.  Very worried.  I'll re-read your post to see if I can pick up on it, but I am concerned that there is something on your mind yet unspoken..... :D

Yeah, I can't quite put my finger on it either...

I would love to land Mack but not at the price I believe will be required to sign him. I would really rather have a stud guard to be honest. Maybe it's my own misperception but it seems good running teams have a versatile guard that can stand in and create a hole or pull and get in front to make a hole. 

There isn't anything in NFL rules that says you have to spend every last dime (or last million bucks) on free agents. I believe that money could be rolled into next year, giving the Colts some flexibility to retain or go after some critical needs that might be more important than what's facing them this year. There may not be anyone left out there that the FO and coaching staff see as being either good values or good fits. To paraphrase the TV commercial disclaimers: These are professionals.  Don't try this at home.

Actually, not every last million, but there are spending rules now.  I believe every team is required to 89% average of their cap in cash spends over a 4 year period from 2013 - 2016.  Cap hit and Cap cash spend is different, so it will be harder to follow.  Teams that spend less in 2013 and 2014 will be forced to spend heavily in 2015 and 2016 to make up for it.  So teams can spend or hold, but it will affect their future decisions too.

Here's a good article on it from a couple years back...

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2013/2/13/3980246/minimum-cash-spend-requirement-under-the-cba