Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Not Among Teams That Contacted Jairus Byrd

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000332044/article/jairus-byrd-contacted-by-st-louis-rams-on-saturday

According to the article, the Eagles, Browns, Bucs, and Rams were the teams that contacted Byrd today. I'm assuming that the Colts were not among these teams, since they were not mentioned in the article. If this is the case, I really hope we'll attempt to get him if Bethea isn't coming back. I even customized a jersey online. :(

15C9A436-4629-4B1F-9F74-733CF873763E_zps

The article says that the Rams were the only team to contact Byrd. It says that the Eagles(Chip Kelly, former head coach at Oregon), Browns(Mike Pettine, former defensive coordinator), and Bucs(his Dad, Gill Byrd, CBs coach) have connections to Byrd. We haven't contacted anyone today though.

What do you guys think about switching Darius Butler to FS?  Obviously Byrd is a really solid center fielder type FS, but from watching Butler it seems like he has a pretty good head for what the QB is going to do.  He always has a ton of pass break ups, a few Ints, etc.. They have him listed as 5'10 188 so it probably wouldn't hurt him much to put on 5-10 lbs and from his performance at the combine a few years back he's definitely an explosive speedster.  This would open up possibly drafting a young guy to handle nickel responsibilities for a year and ultimately replace Toler when ready.  THOUGHTS?????

What do you guys think about switching Darius Butler to FS? Obviously Byrd is a really solid center fielder type FS, but from watching Butler it seems like he has a pretty good head for what the QB is going to do. He always has a ton of pass break ups, a few Ints, etc.. They have him listed as 5'10 188 so it probably wouldn't hurt him much to put on 5-10 lbs and from his performance at the combine a few years back he's definitely an explosive speedster. This would open up possibly drafting a young guy to handle nickel responsibilities for a year and ultimately replace Toler when ready. THOUGHTS?????

I think instincts are paramount at FS. The criticism of Byrd is he may be limited athletically (4.7 40) but he knows were to be, plays the ball well and has great instincts. Imho, this is why it can sometimes be dicey to convert a corner to safety, athleticism alone doesn't cut it.

Also, converted corners can be a liability against the run.

That said, Malcolm Jenkins might be a nice under the radar pickup at safety.

Actually, it was all over the place the day before that Indianapolis would be among the teams that D'Qwell would be visiting. Just saying. :P

The day before?   It wasnt all over here when they released him........remember he visited Denver and 2 other teams....

'Just saying'......just because we don't know doesn't mean it isn't happening

Do you really think we havent contacted J. Byrd because we haven't heard about it?

GM: What are you guys looking at contract wise?

Byrd's Agent: [Gives Numbers]

GM: Welp, bye!

Grigson: What are you guys looking at contract wise?

Grigson: Yeah, no. Safeties are not important enough in our scheme to garner that kind of amount.

Byrd's Agent: Yeah but you need a Safety, Landry & Bethea both stink.

Grigson: Yeah, no. We like both of our guys and we like their financial impact on our salary cap as well.

Byrd's Agent: But you're cutting Toler and RJF too. You need my client.

Grigson: Wait, what?!

Byrd's Agent: C'mon man, he's a sexy signing. The fans'll love it.

Grigson: Some may but what does that have to do with anything? I'm trying to run a franchise here and not kneecap myself going forward. Give me a reasonable number.

Grigson: That number is ridiculous. I'm not paying a Safety that kind of money.

Byrd's Agent: But he's young.

Grigson: So what?! So are the Safeties coming out in the draft.

Byrd's Agent: Yeah but he's a shut down Safety.

Grigson: LOL he's a what?!

Byrd's Agent: And he can help generate pressure on the QB from your Dline. And he's a hitter too!

Grigson: Look, are you going to be serious here?

Byrd's Agent: Okay, okay, forgive me. Did I tell you about how sexy signing him would be?

Byrd's Agent: Hello?

Byrd's Agent: Anybody?

Grigson: What are you guys looking at contract wise?

Grigson: Yeah, no. Safeties are not important enough in our scheme to garner that kind of amount.

Byrd's Agent: Yeah but you need a Safety, Landry & Bethea both stink.

Grigson: Yeah, no. We like both of our guys and we like their financial impact on our salary cap as well.

Byrd's Agent: But you're cutting Toler and RJF too. You need my client.

Grigson: Wait, what?!

Byrd's Agent: C'mon man, he's a sexy signing. The fans'll love it.

Grigson: Some may but what does that have to do with anything? I'm trying to run a franchise here and not kneecap myself going forward. Give me a reasonable number.

Grigson: That number is ridiculous. I'm not paying a Safety that kind of money.

Byrd's Agent: But he's young.

Grigson: So what?! So are the Safeties coming out in the draft.

Byrd's Agent: Yeah but he's a shut down Safety.

Grigson: LOL he's a what?!

Byrd's Agent: And he can help generate pressure on the QB from your Dline. And he's a hitter too!

Grigson: Look, are you going to be serious here?

Byrd's Agent: Okay, okay, forgive me. Did I tell you about how sexy signing him would be?

Byrd's Agent: Hello?

Byrd's Agent: Anybody?

Dumb.

I'd personally rather we simply re-sign Antoine and keep it moving. Draft a kid, sign a FA kid, coach'em up and keep plenty of $$$ to spare.

Antoine probably wants a pretty fair chunk of change. This will be his last contract. The CB is what has me really concerned.

Antoine probably wants a pretty fair chunk of change. This will be his last contract. The CB is what has me really concerned.

He might. But I'm thinking it won't be Byrd type of hype money. I'm not too concerned about Vontae yet....we'll see how the market plays out. I know some guys are signing some high dollar amounts right now...but hopefully that'll level off. Or....hey, we draft a corner then. #Shucks

I'd personally rather we simply re-sign Antoine and keep it moving. Draft a kid, sign a FA kid, coach'em up and keep plenty of $$$ to spare.

We cant keep plenty of money to spare, we have to spend 89% of that 44 mill we had after the release of Satele

He might. But I'm thinking it won't be Byrd type of hype money. I'm not too concerned about Vontae yet....we'll see how the market plays out. I know some guys are signing some high dollar amounts right now...but hopefully that'll level off. Or....hey, we draft a corner then. #Shucks

Ya he wont want byrd $. IDK about finding a replacement for Vontae in the draft. Those kinds of CB are tough to find

That is correct. And we can 'technically' spend all of it without 'actually' shackling ourselves to the type of contract Byrd is demanding.

wouldn't shackle us I dont think, It wouldn't bother me if we didn't sign Byrd though I got my eye on a couple Safeties in the draft, Yeah we can also re-sign Bethea but your wasting money on a non playmaker whos a liability in coverage. I'd probably just get my FS in the draft but if Byrd is willing to come to a playoff team for a little less he would be hard to pass up