Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Not Among Teams That Contacted Jairus Byrd

"...wouldn't shackle us I dont think..."

Of course it would.

Byrd's next contract is not going to be smoke & mirrors. Whatever the number is, that IS the number. The team signing him might be able to fudge a little here & there, offset this, push that back etc, etc. But He IS going to get paid. And the team that signs him will be on the hook for a sizable portion of the big time money that will be in that contract.

So we can get into semantics here but that to me is gonna be a shackle.

He might. But I'm thinking it won't be Byrd type of hype money. I'm not too concerned about Vontae yet....we'll see how the market plays out. I know some guys are signing some high dollar amounts right now...but hopefully that'll level off. Or....hey, we draft a corner then. #Shucks

He won't want Byrd money but Byrd is also 5 times the safety Bethea is

We cant keep plenty of money to spare, we have to spend 89% of that 44 mill we had after the release of Satele

Bear in mind, even though teams have to spend a minimum of 89% of the total cap, that figure is the average over a four-year period, not 89% per year. Although teams could spend 89% each year if they choose to do it that way.

But even if they don't meet the 89% minimum over the four-year span, they can just pay a penalty to square up.

your link only show's Byrd..where are the comparisons ??

You need a premium subscrpition to see everyone elses stats, but here is the FA Safties based on their rating system:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/01/01/2014-free-agent-safeties/

The grades aren't adjusted for snaps played, so although he doesn't have the highest grade, his averages out better because he played ~500 less snaps then the guys above him.

You need a premium subscrpition to see everyone elses stats, but here is the FA Safties based on their rating system:

The grades aren't adjusted for snaps played, so although he doesn't have the highest grade, his averages out better because he played ~500 less snaps then the guys above him.

[/quote

I say keep Bethea and let him play those extra 500 snaps.

[/quote