Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts and Davis Not Close to a Deal

Leaf

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vontae Davis is worth 9 mil a year but Grigson probably isn't gonna pay him. There's not many CB's in the league you can leave on an island with no safety help like Davis. If you want to keep talent eventually your going to have to pay them. 

I think Davis wants around 10 million a year, which is why Grigson won't re-sign him.

$9 or $10 mil a year on a long term contract for a guy with his history of dogging it is a huge risk. He's acted like an adult in his two years in Indy, which is in his favor, but anyone who overlooks his history in college and at Miami may live to regret it.

If u think he is a shut down corner, u must of only watched like 4games last year,cuz thats about how many he was really good In.

True, and while some say nfl is a business I run my own business and I may have to lower my costs at times to get certain jobs. If he's just chasing the money he will be elsewhere. If he still wants to make good money and be on a good, young playoff contender then he'll stay.

Over paid but it sets the bar :scratch:

I was advocating hard for them to extend him last year when the market was horrible. Never listened to me and instead signed a back up QB for big money. Now we are going got pay through the beak.

I was advocating hard for them to extend him last year when the market was horrible. Never listened to me and instead signed a back up QB for big money. Now we are going got pay through the beak.

Come on now....   the Hasselback deal has nothing to do with Vonte Davis.

Nothing.     And you know that......

Of coarse it didn't have anything directly related to Davis. It is however OK to express one's feelings on how the team spends its cap space. I could go back and pull posts where I said this was going to happen. I also thought it was a waste of money to allocate to a QB like Hassleback. You probably could have given Davis something like 5 years 32-33 mill with a 11 mill signing bonus. The good CBs were signing 1 year deals for 5 mill last year. I brought up Hassle back as I thought it was a waste and for that money , you could have paid the 1st year of a Davis extension last year. 

I started this thread before the free agent market began last year and had many subsequent posts saying how it would be a coup. This was before we found out the CB market was in the dumps.

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:25 PM

Just wondering if Grigson doesn't like how the cap money matches up to the talent and asking prices , would he rather just extend Davis a year early ? Would be a lot cheaper this year than next if Davis has a good 2013.

I started this thread before the free agent market began last year and had many subsequent posts saying how it would be a coup. This was before we found out the CB market was in the dumps.

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:25 PM

Just wondering if Grigson doesn't like how the cap money matches up to the talent and asking prices , would he rather just extend Davis a year early ? Would be a lot cheaper this year than next if Davis has a good 2013.

Just because it made sense for the Colts doesn't mean Davis would have been on board with extending his deal last year.  It takes both sides to get a deal done and odds are Davis had enough confidence in his ability to have a good 2013 and then either force the Colts or another team into giving him a big contract or at worst getting tagged.  Clearly the Colts didn't do the latter so odds are Davis is going to do very well for himself on the open market. 

Just because it made sense for the Colts doesn't mean Davis would have been on board with extending his deal last year.  It takes both sides to get a deal done and odds are Davis had enough confidence in his ability to have a good 2013 and then either force the Colts or another team into giving him a big contract or at worst getting tagged.  Clearly the Colts didn't do the latter so odds are Davis is going to do very well for himself on the open market. 

Usually they work it out if the team wants to extend the player early as it's similar to a player not wanting to be franchised. Anytime you can cash in on 12-15 mill guaranteed , it's usually a pretty easy decision. Of coarse as you say , the player can opt not to do it. 

Usually they work it out if the team wants to extend the player early as it's similar to a player not wanting to be franchised. Anytime you can cash in on 12-15 mill guaranteed , it's usually a pretty easy decision. Of coarse as you say , the player can opt not to do it. 

Again, you are just assuming Davis would have done the extension.  His agent might have looked at it and said hey I don't think they will tag you (which the Colts didn't) and you'll hit the open market.  Either way not doing an extension gave Davis more options.  Had he done the extension he's signed, not singing it means he could have been come a free agent (which he is), been tagged and either done a long term deal then when you can now say I am worth the value of a top three corner in the league and you just tagged me to say so or at worst play one year under the franchise tag and then more than likely become a free agent at that point.  I don't think it was in Davis's best interest to sign an extension last year. 

Again, you are just assuming Davis would have done the extension.  His agent might have looked at it and said hey I don't think they will tag you (which the Colts didn't) and you'll hit the open market.  Either way not doing an extension gave Davis more options.  Had he done the extension he's signed, not singing it means he could have been come a free agent (which he is), been tagged and either done a long term deal then when you can now say I am worth the value of a top three corner in the league and you just tagged me to say so or at worst play one year under the franchise tag and then more than likely become a free agent at that point.  I don't think it was in Davis's best interest to sign an extension last year. 

You don't and I do. We'll never know. If what you're saying if players will turn down being extended more than welcome it .. your wrong ... simple as that. If your saying davis had special circumstances that in your opinion would have made him refuse it , that's your opinion and fine. I can't prove you're wrong anymore than you can prove your right.

No matter if we sign Davis or not I believe grigs has failed in this situation. He should have at least put transition tag on him or something should have never let him just become a free agent now the ball is all in Davis favor and we are left to either pay or let him walk and hope we can pick up a replacement

No matter if we sign Davis or not I believe grigs has failed in this situation. He should have at least put transition tag on him or something should have never let him just become a free agent now the ball is all in Davis favor and we are left to either pay or let him walk and hope we can pick up a replacement

Lol really.... Griggs failed because he didn't overpay for a inconsistent CB. Putting the tag would have gave him reeves money and he's not worth that. You better wish for Polian to come back if you want a gm to overpay for average.

Lol really.... Griggs failed because he didn't overpay for a inconsistent CB. Putting the tag would have gave him reeves money and he's not worth that. You better wish for Polian to come back if you want a gm to overpay for average.

He failed in my opinion because that let it be known he was a high priority to sign and allow him to reach the fa market to raise the cost . If you have a cheap replacement please inform me . I just don't see a player his age or younger with his potential that's not going to cost.

He graded out as the 3rd best corner in the league, and 2nd best coverage grade according to PFF.

Oh sorry. I forgot that if PFF says it, then it must be 100% accurate.

Maybe I should not even  bother to watch the games? Just go online the next day and read what PFF says happened?

There are many different grades on Vontae.  This report says only a few analysts think that he's barely cracked the top 15

Davis had an up and down season last year with the Colts, but was good enough to be ranked one of the top-15 corners in the NFL by a couple of different analysts...

...Perhaps the most concerning part of his game is the risks that he takes in coverage. There were quite a few blown assignments by him last season, and most of them were because he was trying to make a play and misjudged the football. The Colts need him to work on staying on his man.

Read more: http://sportsglory.com/nfl/colts-vontae-davis-nearing-contract-agreement/14870#ixzz2vZJpXgvp

isn't the main priority of a corners job, to stay with his man?