Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

BOOMSTICK

Bbswatching

Just a thought; if Pat kicks field goals when Vinny leaves, who would be the holder?  Matt Haselbeck?

Teams normally like three people to be in the special teams unit, so they can practice on their own. 

Hasselbeck is retiring after the 2014 season, so while he could do it, I don't think that he will.

But then, I never thought that he'd grow this nasty mustache.  http://instagram.com/p/ghGjv6I7js/

I like and would like him to stay also.  The only problem is Hunter Smith.  He also was a good punter, and fairly athletic, who got shipped out cause he wanted more money than we were willing to pay.  If he hadn't then Pat probably wouldn't be here.

If he can handle both duties that would be huge.. But if he ends up getting injured during a game we are screwed..

There is no way we would go into a season with Pat doing both duties and not have a back up kicker at least on the squad, not only to come in if Pats injured, but to be the holder as well. I do personally think the back up QB should always be the holder though, id like to think a fake field goal pass would be easier if the holder could throw

I get the feeling Pat will be successful no matter where he goes or what he does. Just one of those type people. I remember seeing him kick FG`s in a competition before the Colts drafted him, he won it. Love the tenacity he brings to punt coverage, wish other players on defense played like that sometimes 

I'm a Pat McAfee fan, and think the guy is a terrific player and probably a great guy.  That said, however, you have to look at the dollars and cents side of the football business. At roughly $3MM per year, Pat is among the highest paid punters in the league. If you assume that his net average punt is 3 yards higher than average, his contribution to total field position yardage was around +240 yds, or just over $12,000 per yard of field position. Compare that with, for instance, Donald Brown, who made $2.7MM last year, and contributed about 750 yards in total offense, or about $3,600 per yard. As a fan, I'd love to see McAfee wearing the horseshoe for many years to come, but if the price tag is just too much the Colts might be better served by picking up and 7th round guy or UDFA and investing the difference in a player who has the potential for a better return on investment. If the Colts lose Vinatieri, and McAfee can also handle the placekicking duties, then maybe he's a good investment.  I'm sure there are many on here who will disagree, but that's just my 2 centavos worth of marginal advice.

I'm a Pat McAfee fan, and think the guy is a terrific player and probably a great guy.  That said, however, you have to look at the dollars and cents side of the football business. At roughly $3MM per year, Pat is among the highest paid punters in the league. If you assume that his net average punt is 3 yards higher than average, his contribution to total field position yardage was around +240 yds, or just over $12,000 per yard of field position. Compare that with, for instance, Donald Brown, who made $2.7MM last year, and contributed about 750 yards in total offense, or about $3,600 per yard. As a fan, I'd love to see McAfee wearing the horseshoe for many years to come, but if the price tag is just too much the Colts might be better served by picking up and 7th round guy or UDFA and investing the difference in a player who has the potential for a better return on investment. If the Colts lose Vinatieri, and McAfee can also handle the placekicking duties, then maybe he's a good investment.  I'm sure there are many on here who will disagree, but that's just my 2 centavos worth of marginal advice.

But his tackling ability...and the hit on Trindon Holliday..PRICELESS

Pat can't even kick the ball through the end zone inside a dome, and we want him to take field goals as well? No thanks.

The Hunter Smith point possibly tells us that losing a punter is no big deal, as we swiftly moved from one to another pretty seamlessly.

But I still don't care, as long as we don't let him go because he wants another quarter of a million......

Funny and likable guy, yes...

A major part of the team, no...

Would like him to stay, yes! Paying him the biggest contract for a punter, no...

Great field position is a major boost to the defense, we have a great ability of downing punts behind the 10 yard line rightnow.

Funny and likable guy, yes...

A major part of the team, no...

Would like him to stay, yes! Paying him the biggest contract for a punter, no...

He has said he is not just about the money, and is not looking to be the highest paid punter.

Am I the only one that is worried about Mcafee trying out for other teams.  We need to sign him to a long term deal.  And then when vini retires.  He can do both punt and fg's. 

you don't want to put your eggs in one basket.I like  the way it is now ,he is our punter and back up kicker if need be

Great field position is a major boost to the defense, we have a great ability of downing punts behind the 10 yard line rightnow.

Ask Peyton about that....I am sure he still has nightmares as I do of Mike Scifres (Chargers) incredible punting back in 2005, 2007/2008.  It was some of the best directional punting and 'downing' inside the 10 I have ever seen.

Patty Mac has gotten better and better at this...one of the best. :)

So have him drop kick the field goal

Pat isn't that great in his punt accuracy but pretty good at controlling distance. I'm not sure if it's legal to drop kick a FG. I thought if someone drop kicks the ball it's counted as a punt.

There is no way we would go into a season with Pat doing both duties and not have a back up kicker at least on the squad, not only to come in if Pats injured, but to be the holder as well. I do personally think the back up QB should always be the holder though, id like to think a fake field goal pass would be easier if the holder could throw

Pat is already the emergency Q B. He has the skills to throw the ball if needed. 

Pat isn't that great in his punt accuracy but pretty good at controlling distance. I'm not sure if it's legal to drop kick a FG. I thought if someone drop kicks the ball it's counted as a punt.

A field goal can be dropped kicked. Seems like I remember Doug Fluty (spelling?) kicking one for the Bills a few years ago. 

Yes it is legal.  Doug Flutie did it in a game before he retired.  Drew Brees attempted one in the probowl in 09' i think.