Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

T.Y. Hilton

Slick_Rick

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The question is can he become the #1 receiver after Reggie retires, or should Colts start to look for another WR as the #1 WR?

For the type of player in Hilton, it will be better for him to play as a #2. I think Colts still needs a tall/physical receiver to take over from Reggie.

If anyone has any doubts about his ability after the playoffs this year, they must be crazy. The sky is the limit for this kid. I believe that he will be Marvin Harrison 2.0 if his route running abilities get better.

But you know, i did make my username after him. I AM kind-of a homer.. haha

If anyone has any doubts about his ability after the playoffs this year, they must be crazy. The sky is the limit for this kid. I believe that he will be Marvin Harrison 2.0 if his route running abilities get better.

But you know, i did make my username after him. I AM kind-of a homer.. haha

No doubt he is talented. I can see him as a combination of Marvin and DeSean Jackson. But in today's NFL it is preferred to have a #1 receiver at 6-3' or above.

No doubt he is talented. I can see him as a combination of Marvin and DeSean Jackson. But in today's NFL it is preferred to have a #1 receiver at 6-3' or above.

Sure it my be "preferred" to have a big receiver, but why does his size matter? If he has the ability to be open consistently then i'm sure he can be a #1.

Heck, look at Reggie. He's not very big, but he's also proved to be a HOF receiver.

no. In today's nfl, you need to get open. Putting measureables to the position says you watch too much ESPN. That is not a good thing

With more corners being tall and athletic, today's receivers need to be able to catch those jump balls and win the physical battles from time to time. TY may be able to get open when moving the chain, but in the redzone when the space is squeezed he will not be able to make certain plays due to his height. There are guys who are both tall and quick and run good routes to get open, but it will take some efforts to find them.

If he learns to run routes like Wayne he could be #1 but I would rather see a big fast guy come in to replace Wayne thought Darick was going to be the guy but I have serious doubts now . He showed a flash in 1 one game all the others he ran bad routes wrong routes and dropped balls DHB style . Maybe after a training camp he will get all that worked out because he has the physical gifts to be true number 1 . 

The question is can he become the #1 receiver after Reggie retires, or should Colts start to look for another WR as the #1 WR?

For the type of player in Hilton, it will be better for him to play as a #2. I think Colts still needs a tall/physical receiver to take over from Reggie.

Rather TY can be a number one or not the Colts will need another WR once Reggie retires.  So I say you draft one high.  Worst case we wind up like we did when we had Reggie and Marvin.

I think size is overrated (typing that I heard Michael Scott snickering). T.Y. has improved his route running vastly this year. I don't understand how he can't be a number 1. Yes, jump balls are important in the endzone, but so is lateral speed, cuts, and sideline awareness. He and Luck seem to have a very good connection.

With more corners being tall and athletic, today's receivers need to be able to catch those jump balls and win the physical battles from time to time. TY may be able to get open when moving the chain, but in the redzone when the space is squeezed he will not be able to make certain plays due to his height. There are guys who are both tall and quick and run good routes to get open, but it will take some efforts to find them.

please stop

We need guys that can get open and catch. End of criteria

Anyone else notice the sheer progress he made during the vid?

This guy is one hell of a receiver #1 or whatever, he definitely needs to be on the field if he can learn at that pace.  His most valuable asset is his ability to completely stop his momentum mid stride and then spark.  I don't care how fast or slow you are, that is very very hard to stick to.

T.Y. has been great for us.  His problem (and what keeps him from being a #1) is his consistency.  Look at his yardage game by game and he's either over 100 or under 50.  Some of that can be attributed to our offensive inconsistency as a whole and Luck's inconsistency but he has to do a better job of producing game to game.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HiltT.00/gamelog//

Why are you guys saying he can't be a #1? do all #1 receivers have to 6-2? To me, TY is a perfect #1. The dude gets game planned against and still gets over 100. I think those last 3 games against the jags, chiefs and pats showed all of us what kind of season he's gonna have next year barring injury. I actually think that TY will take over as the #1 starting next year, with Wayne as the #2.

I'm pretty sure TY still got the majority of the snaps but i could be wrong. 

and once again. You are

Umm no he's not, I think you are. It's not really surprising given TY was our only legit receiver for a large part of the season. 

TY Hilton 760 Snaps out of 1071 Snaps (71%)

DHB 603 Snaps out of 1071 Snaps (56.3%)

Reggie 429 Snaps of 1071 Snaps (40.1%)

Griff 272 Snaps of 1071 Snaps (25.4%)

Brazill 236 Snaps of 1071 Snaps (22.0%)

Rogers 205 Snaps of 1071 Snaps (19.1%)

Source: http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/player-offensive-snap-count-stats/2013/

Umm no he's not, I think you are. It's not really surprising given TY was our only legit receiver for a large part of the season.

TY Hilton 760 Snaps out of 1071 Snaps (71%)

DHB 603 Snaps out of 1071 Snaps (56.3%)

Reggie 429 Snaps of 1071 Snaps (40.1%)

Griff 272 Snaps of 1071 Snaps (25.4%)

Brazill 236 Snaps of 1071 Snaps (22.0%)

Rogers 205 Snaps of 1071 Snaps (19.1%)

Source: http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/player-offensive-snap-count-stats/2013/

we were talking to start the season

and once again. You are

Both you and Tonychen are right in both aspects of your argument. TY is fine in my opinion because he beat Browner in the shehawks game several times. You have to get open and that all that matters. But corners are getting bigger, faster and physical. Da'Rick Rogers is going to be our guy next season. He needs more experience. Him catching that ball in KC game proved it.

Define the period that counts as "start" and then show your snap count numbers before dismissing him so out of hand. You may well be right but without facts you can only off opinion and in that case his opinion is as valid as yours :)

Don't worry that dude always has something negative to say about anyones opinion. I thought that's what the forum was for? So I wouldn't be to concerned about him.

T.Y. has been great for us. His problem (and what keeps him from being a #1) is his consistency. Look at his yardage game by game and he's either over 100 or under 50. Some of that can be attributed to our offensive inconsistency as a whole and Luck's inconsistency but he has to do a better job of producing game to game.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HiltT.00/gamelog//

What WRs in the history of the league were consistent? I'm not saying there aren't any, but I certainly don't recall any that don't, for one reason or another, "disappear" in games sometimes... Including our beloved Harrison and Wayne. Without doing the homework, I'd assume that statistical consistency among "#1" receivers is a myth.

Don't worry that dude always has something negative to say about anyones opinion. I thought that's what the forum was for? So I wouldn't be to concerned about him.

Oh it's all good, like I said he may well be right but I don't think you should state something with such authority without any facts to back you up, it's just arrogance. Took me 5 mins to Google the total snaps and game by game is out there too:

Assuming 4 games is a sensible definition of the start of a season. 

Wk1 (Oakland) 55 Snaps Total - TY 13 Snaps (23.6%)/DHB 19 Snaps (35.5%)

Wk2 (Dolphins) 66 Snaps Total - TY 27 Snaps (49%)/DHB  22 Snaps (33.3%)

Wk3 (49ers) 72 Snaps Total - TY 28 Snaps (38.8%)/DHB 42 Snaps (58.3%)

WK4 (Jags) 76 Snaps Total - TY 35 Snaps (46.1%)/DHB 49 Snaps (64.5%)

Total 269 Snaps Total - TY 103 Snaps (38.2%)/DHB 132 Snaps (49%)

See that wasn't so hard was it? 

So yes Gabriel you were "wrong" but it's not as clear cut as you would think. Remember still had Reggie at this point as the "#1" and whatever you think of DHB he IS a better blocker than TY and this was doing our power run/prog rock phase at the start of the season. As people often forget when calling out the coaching staff, we are not privy to all the info they are. At best we can only make educated guesses at the reasoning behind their decisions. 

I think he'll be the #2.  Rogers showed some really nice flashes last year.  If he can keep developing and stay out of trouble, he has #1 potential.

Potentail is all it is for Da'Rick right now.  for every "great" catch he has 2 drops.  he doesn't get seperation and his route running is average at best.  Hopefully he will significantly improve and reach that potential he is holding onto right now.  TY on the other hand has proven he is a solid reciever, a game changer that other teams have to game plan for.... His size will not stop him from being a #1 reciever. 

IMO, 2 things are keeping Hilton from being #1 WR.

1. His route running.  Needs to be more precise cuts and not rounding them off. This can be fixed by the Coaching staff.

2. The most important is that he has no explosion out of cuts.  This is the reason Hilton has trouble getting a step when double covered.  This can not be taught.

IMO, Hilton is a good #2 and will be great when he gets more consistent.