Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

T.Y. Hilton

Slick_Rick

Lol DHB hope he resigns for vet min and plays special team he is pretty good as a gunner. But besides that no other position maybe as a long snapper haha. But yeah TY is explosive and is a game changer. But his frame is not built to be a number 1 in today's NFL.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hilton isn't built for #1 WR, I agree. We need Da'rick to really improve this offseason. He showed promise, especially with the catch against the chiefs. He has the potential to be a #1, just needs to work on a couple things. It will be interesting to see how things work out over the next few months. I'm curious if Grigs thinks we need another WR.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Hilton isn't built for #1 WR, I agree. We need Da'rick to really improve this offseason. He showed promise, especially with the catch against the chiefs. He has the potential to be a #1, just needs to work on a couple things. It will be interesting to see how things work out over the next few months. I'm curious if Grigs thinks we need another WR

I think that's overused.  I think talent, and how your team uses you has a far larger bearing on being a #1 WR, then size does.  Just look at Marvin Harrison.

IMO, 2 things are keeping Hilton from being #1 WR.

1. His route running. Needs to be more precise cuts and not rounding them off. This can be fixed by the Coaching staff.

2. The most important is that he has no explosion out of cuts. This is the reason Hilton has trouble getting a step when double covered. This can not be taught.

IMO, Hilton is a good #2 and will be great when he gets more consistent.

Hilton has no explosion in and out of his cuts? Really? His lateral quickness and short burst accelleration in and out of his breaks is most definitely his most endearing quality. Even moreso than his straight line speed, this is where he gets his seperation from and why he is so successful in finding space on intermediate patterns and underneath routes.

Hilton has no explosion in and out of his cuts? Really? His lateral quickness and short burst accelleration in and out of his breaks is most definitely his most endearing quality. Even moreso than his straight line speed, this is where he gets his seperation from and why he is so successful in finding space on intermediate patte 

He has great strait line speed, but is slow out of his cut(reason he rounds then).  No explosion out of cuts is the reason he has trouble with double coverage.

Disagree. I'm not sure why people think Rogers will be a star. He has the hands of DHB. He had many dropped passes, crucial ones at times, too. 

He has shown the ability to get away from coverage (something DHB couldn't do), but still has very average hands outside a few catches.

I just think he has potential.  Whether or not he gets there depends on a lot of factors.  But reports are that he is very intelligent and he is physically a monster.  So the potential is there

I just think he has potential.  Whether or not he gets there depends on a lot of factors.  But reports are that he is very intelligent and he is physically a monster.  So the potential is there

Agree with that. He has the potential, but he was to work on his hands. Those are & will be a problem if not corrected. He's shown he can create space between him and a DB. Hopefully he improves.

Agree with that. He has the potential, but he was to work on his hands. Those are & will be a problem if not corrected. He's shown he can create space between him and a DB. Hopefully he improves.

Rogers didn't have any problems catching the ball in college. His hands were good back then. Maybe it's just the Fleener syndrome being nervous in his first year and everything.

There used to be an old axiom in fantasy football that a receiver's third year was when they would show the greatest statistical leap. The theory was that it takes 2 full years to fully grasp the game at the NFL level.

Jerry Rice had his breakout in year 2, and we're seeing a slew of guys (led by Green, Jones, and Megatron) who seem to be indicating a more rapid transition from the college game lately.

Something about Hilton suggests to me that the old axiom might apply. He was a later round draft pick (ie. not as ready). He relies more on speed/timing/routes (which take more time to really master) than on physicality. He is cerebral, and he is a student of the game, from what I've read.

I think he really started to come into his own late in the season, and learned how to carry the load in Wayne's absence. I am expecting a BIG year from him next year.

If I were still playing FF, I'd have TY pegged as the steal of the draft, and likely to end up a top 5-10 WR by year end.

Mostly Harbuagh and I'd say at that point in his career he was as good a passer as Luck is now.

So let's look at it with a comparable QB then.  Reggie Wayne had 9 games of 52 yards or less his 2nd year in the league.  He turned into a pretty good #1 WR.

Will TY turn into a #1, I don't know, personally I think he has the skills, hands and work ethic to become one. But whether or not he does, your criteria for which you base your conclusion is flawed.

I agree. Yes his route running could be better and he drops some that he should catch. If he starts catching those and running better routes which are both very correctable I think he could for sure be our # 1. After last year I thought it was just wishful thinking after this year I think in a year or 2 TY can be our # 1 and maybe even our Harrison 2.0.

I think the main problem is that everyone wants to compare him to Marvin and or Reggie in regards to being a #1...Thats not fair to either Marv or Reggie, who are HoF caliber players...and its not fair to TY...

Could he be a #1....Maybe....but I wouldn't call it ideal....I think he is a game breaker, but I don't believe him to be a future superstar.....(I think all of his TDs coming in 2 games this season is a fairly large red flag)....

I think maybe people get caught up in size, and refuse to acknowledge anything else. I think TY has the intangibles, but not the size. Where as a majority of true #1s have the intangibles AND the size....The Calvins/AJs/Julio/Dez/DT/Marshall/Jefferys of the world have everything TY has, and more.... 

IF Ty can reach the Steve Smith/Deseas Jackson level, I think we as Colts fans would be pretty happy, but he has a LOOOONG way to go to even reach that......So lets not even bring up Marv/Reg....

If we can get 75-80rec and 1100yds an a handful of TDs from him, I think that would be best case scenario. 

I agree. Yes his route running could be better and he drops some that he should catch. If he starts catching those and running better routes which are both very correctable I think he could for sure be our # 1. After last year I thought it was just wishful thinking after this year I think in a year or 2 TY can be our # 1 and maybe even our Harrison 2.0.

I personally think his route running is fine, he just needs to learn how to set up the defenders better (which some consider part of route running I'm sure) and that comes with experience as you stated.  The game winning TD catch against the Chiefs is a great example of him learning that, he showed something that made that safety run up and as soon as that safety started to commit, Hilton hti that burst and went upfield and there was no way the safety could recover.  That was very Harrison-esque.