Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

T.Y. Hilton

Slick_Rick

T.Y Hilton is a # 1 WR, not many can do what he did in the playoffs vs the Chiefs. Size doesn't matter for a WR if your faster then everyone else and a good route runner. He's 5'10 183 lbs which is actually bigger then both Desean Jackson and Steve Smith and their # 1 WR's. He's hard to press at the line of scrimmage because of his speed and made Talib who most consider a top 10 CB look average. He also got a lot of yards vs Sherman and Grimes, both top 10 CB's and consistently runs by Jonathan Joseph everytime we play the Texans. 

I think Wayne will be the 2nd option and Rogers will develop into a #2 but T.Y will be the first option on the team. If Pep continues to keep the uptempo offense i think T.Y will get around 100 rec, 1,250 yards,10 TD's. He'll be a top 10 WR in the league next year.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree TY has done a very good job to get open, but the new generation of big WRs are redefining the word "open". For Calvin Johnson he can be open with triple coverage. Julio Jones makes average QB Matt Ryan look elite, and AJ Green makes below average QB Andy Dalton above average.

When Manning was with Colts I found he had to constantly put the ball into small windows when our undersized WRs could not get open. Look at what he has now in Denver and how "wide open" these guys are. When you have Luck - The best QB of his generation, don't you want him to have some weapons like Calvin Johnson, Julio Jones, D-Thomas, and AJ Green?

Can someone please explain to me why Hilton isn't a #1? What does size have to do with someone being a #1 receiver?

Agreed.  TY will be a legit #1 in time.He was so lucky to have had Reggie as a mentor and learn how to be a pro.  Can he be another Marvin Harrison? TY can if he can hone the route running

T.Y has much better numbers thAn Marvin had his first 2 seasons...

Marvin:  137 catches for 1,702 yards and 14 TDs

Hitlon:    132 catches for 1,944 yards and 12 TDs.

I am not sure is that qualifies as "much better numbers".  Plus Harrison had Harbaugh, Justin and Holcomb throwing to him, Hilton has had Luck and The Colts have thrown the ball 150 more times the first two years of Hilton's career than the Colts did the first two years of Harrison's career.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge TY fan, when people were crying for the Colts to trade for a receiver after Wayne got injured, I was one of the few that stated that I thought TY could handle being the #1.  Just point out their overall their numbers are similar.

What WRs in the history of the league were consistent? I'm not saying there aren't any, but I certainly don't recall any that don't, for one reason or another, "disappear" in games sometimes... Including our beloved Harrison and Wayne. Without doing the homework, I'd assume that statistical consistency among "#1" receivers is a myth.

He had 10 games with 52 or less yards.  I would say that doesn't make a #1 receiver.

The question is can he become the #1 receiver after Reggie retires, or should Colts start to look for another WR as the #1 WR?

For the type of player in Hilton, it will be better for him to play as a #2. I think Colts still needs a tall/physical receiver to take over from Reggie.

Without using the #1 label, yes the Colts could use another starting receiver. I like Whalen, Brazill, and Rogers but they are more like backups than true starters. Whalen seems to be the most ready to start from that group but he's a slot receiver.

Marvin Harrison had 8 games of 52 yards or less his 2nd season, yet he turned into a pretty good #1 WR.

who was throwing to him?  was it someone anywhere near as good as Andrew Luck?  Or a team as good as we were this year?

Also, Reggie had only 6 games of 52 or less with Collins,Painter,Orlovsky throwing to him in 2011

who was throwing to him?  was it someone anywhere near as good as Andrew Luck?  Or a team as good as we were this year?

Mostly Harbuagh and I'd say at that point in his career he was as good a passer as Luck is now.

So let's look at it with a comparable QB then.  Reggie Wayne had 9 games of 52 yards or less his 2nd year in the league.  He turned into a pretty good #1 WR.

Will TY turn into a #1, I don't know, personally I think he has the skills, hands and work ethic to become one. But whether or not he does, your criteria for which you base your conclusion is flawed.

Mostly Harbuagh and I'd say at that point in his career he was as good a passer as Luck is now.

So let's look at it with a comparable QB then.  Reggie Wayne had 9 games of 52 yards or less his 2nd year in the league.  He turned into a pretty good #1 WR.

Will TY turn into a #1, I don't know, personally I think he has the skills, hands and work ethic to become one. But whether or not he does, your criteria for which you base your conclusion is flawed.

No.  my point was he needs to be more consistent to be the #1 receiver.  I didn't say he can't, just that he has a bit to go.

Guest TeamLoloJones

To me a #1 WR is the guy defenses have to account for, and game plan to stop.  Hilton in the second half of this season became that guy.  He may not fit the traditional parameters for a #1 WR, but when opposing team coaches talk about him as the clear cut threat of our offense, then he's a #1.  When Reggie comes back and defenses have to pick their poison between him and Hilton, then throw in Fleener, Allen, and Rogers...well, good luck NFL defenses.

No.  my point was he needs to be more consistent to be the #1 receiver.  I didn't say he can't, just that he has a bit to go.

That's fair and he does have a bit to go, no doubt.  And 5 of his 10 games with 52 yards or less was after Wayne went down.  It took him a few games to get into his role and see the difference between being THE GUY and the other guy.

Define the period that counts as "start" and then show your snap count numbers before dismissing him so out of hand. You may well be right but without facts you can only off opinion and in that case his opinion is as valid as yours :)

oh I am right. I watched the games.

No need to research what I already know

Oh it's all good, like I said he may well be right but I don't think you should state something with such authority without any facts to back you up, it's just arrogance. Took me 5 mins to Google the total snaps and game by game is out there too:

Assuming 4 games is a sensible definition of the start of a season. 

Wk1 (Oakland) 55 Snaps Total - TY 13 Snaps (23.6%)/DHB 19 Snaps (35.5%)

Wk2 (Dolphins) 66 Snaps Total - TY 27 Snaps (49%)/DHB  22 Snaps (33.3%)

Wk3 (49ers) 72 Snaps Total - TY 28 Snaps (38.8%)/DHB 42 Snaps (58.3%)

WK4 (Jags) 76 Snaps Total - TY 35 Snaps (46.1%)/DHB 49 Snaps (64.5%)

Total 269 Snaps Total - TY 103 Snaps (38.2%)/DHB 132 Snaps (49%)

See that wasn't so hard was it? 

So yes Gabriel you were "wrong" but it's not as clear cut as you would think. Remember still had Reggie at this point as the "#1" and whatever you think of DHB he IS a better blocker than TY and this was doing our power run/prog rock phase at the start of the season. As people often forget when calling out the coaching staff, we are not privy to all the info they are. At best we can only make educated guesses at the reasoning behind their decisions. 

Well I've been wrong before. I guess Pags wanted to utilize more blocking....

But at least you're not a * about it unlike dudeski. 

Well I've been wrong before. I guess Pags wanted to utilize more blocking....

But at least you're not a * about it unlike dudeski.

Nothing really to be right or wrong about as I believe your point was more about DHB getting snaps over TY at the start of the season so I'd rather explore the why and how we saw his role in the offense evolve over the season to become our "#1". Stupidly I let myself get carried away with being pedantic.

I might not agree with you all the time but hey like you say at least your not an *bleep* about it and will chew the fat about stuff.

Am I being blind? I can't see it, but I am only phone at the mo. When I checked it was more snaps to DHB but I don't like the source for the numbers.

no, it was my bad. On my phone your post with the numbers were a little jumbled. I thought the total snaps was the number of snaps for TY.

no, it was my bad. On my phone your post with the numbers were a little jumbled. I thought the total snaps was the number of snaps for TY.

Oh! Ha I thought I was going mad there. I'm not suprised that DHB did over the first four. I just don't like broad statements being made with no proof offered,so I did the leg work.

I guess that makes me the fool who proves the fool :P

Oh! Ha I thought I was going mad there. I'm not suprised that DHB did over the first four. I just don't like broad statements being made with no proof offered,so I did the leg work.

Its ok to admit when were wrong. Its those who refuse to that make me bang my head against a wall

in time I am sure you all will learn that when I make a statement, just go ahead and jot that down as fact.

in time I am sure you all will learn that when I make a statement, just go ahead and jot that down as fact.

Until I see you claim that you are a horse's backside, I'm inclined to suggest any correlation to actual fact is simply coincidental or pure luck. You haven't proven to know much of anything but how to be that backside thing.

Until I see you claim that you are a horse's backside, I'm inclined to suggest any correlation to actual fact is simply coincidental or pure luck. You haven't proven to know much of anything but how to be that backside thing.

my track record is impeccable

Umm no he's not, I think you are. It's not really surprising given TY was our only legit receiver for a large part of the season. 

TY Hilton 760 Snaps out of 1071 Snaps (71%)

DHB 603 Snaps out of 1071 Snaps (56.3%)

Reggie 429 Snaps of 1071 Snaps (40.1%)

Griff 272 Snaps of 1071 Snaps (25.4%)

Brazill 236 Snaps of 1071 Snaps (22.0%)

Rogers 205 Snaps of 1071 Snaps (19.1%)

Source: http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/player-offensive-snap-count-stats/2013/

what your failing to realize is that the person you responded to is referring to the beginning of the season. when TY litereally was in the game no more than 50% of the snaps. 

I think he'll be the #2.  Rogers showed some really nice flashes last year.  If he can keep developing and stay out of trouble, he has #1 potential.

Disagree. I'm not sure why people think Rogers will be a star. He has the hands of DHB. He had many dropped passes, crucial ones at times, too. 

He has shown the ability to get away from coverage (something DHB couldn't do), but still has very average hands outside a few catches.

2. The most important is that he has no explosion out of cuts.  This is the reason Hilton has trouble getting a step when double covered.  This can not be taught.

IMO, Hilton is a good #2 and will be great when he gets more consistent.

I though that was one of his best attributes was his explosiveness on cuts. Remember in the Seahawks game when he did that little Reggie Bush back juke, the defender goes flying, another guy is closing in, but he still goes from 0-60 and burns that defender to the endzone also. I guess a back juke isnt  the same as a hitch on a route, or a cut to change direction on a route pre-catch, but I think even if what youre saying is true (which it is Im a scrub at this sort of talent eval still) he has the raw talent to fix it. There's a big difference between fast, and football fast as ol Marv used to say. i think T.Y showed the world and brandon browner he's plenty football fast. Still sends shivers up my spine when he scores, and he does the T, Y thing with his hands ha.