Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Yoga, Pilates, what else can be done to improve the Colts' health?

chad72

I was perusing the use of yoga and pilates in the NFL.

I remember the former Giants LB Pierce stating that his Giants used Pilates to keep them well stretched.

I also read this article about the Seahawks:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9581925/seattle-seahawks-use-unusual-techniques-practice-espn-magazine

Some of their practices, I must admit, I like.

Read this article on some Detroit Lions incorporating yoga:

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2013/11/08/once-reluctant-nfl-players-say-yoga-is-not-just-for-girls-anymore/

Does anyone know if the Colts already have these incorporated into their routines? I bet Toler's hammy could use some of Yoga, haha:)

Discuss.

I been either power lifting or body building off and on for 18 years. Always thought yoga was a girly thing. I started doing it a couple years ago and it's no joke. I actually feel great doing it. Keeps me well stretched and helps with the muscle healing.

Well, DA started doing yoga last off season and he got hurt in game one lol. I guess he has started doing pilates during his rehab...said it's a life changer.

On another note, Irsay may want to take a look at the turf. Heard Will Carroll talking about how trainer after trainer has told him about LOS having the hardest playing surface in the league and the turf itself is quite sticky.

Hmm, interesting. This is my domain. The first step is finding the low hanging fruit, so to speak.

Everyone has weaknesses. Muscle imbalances and the like. All squad players should be tested for balance from the get-go. There is a significant relationship between balance and how susceptible one is too injury. Balance is something that shiuld be trained on a regular basis, especially in those who are lacking.

Finding muscle imbalances is important. Doing tests to identify these should be high on the physios to do list. With this information, various strength and conditioning exercises can be prescribed to rectify any specific problems.

Without being specific, I feel it is important to stabilize joints through hypertrophy in the surrounding muscles. To aid this stabilizing of the joints, proper taping practices should be employed. Football is one of the best sports with regards to taping. Anyone who has played in college recently will understand what I mean.

There is not a fix-all exercise or activity that can reduce injury. It is very case specific and what works for one may not work for another.

The biggest problem is that football is a collision sport. Injuries will happen. The difference between losing 2 starters to losing 10 is often luck of the draw. You never know when you are going to be hit off balance, or of another player tackles you at the knee. I know this is a bit of a cop out, but that's the reality.

I will say that football teams likely employ some of the best health professionals in the US. Trust in them, as I would guess that they are doing everything they can. There is no such thing as a perfect program.

The smartest way to do it is through diet. You can exercise and do all the activities in the world to help you out, but if you have a poor diet it won't mean as much. I think many players would benefit from a change in diet.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/writer/ken-berger/24370416 (This one especially) 

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/writer/ken-berger/24373097/nutrition-in-the-nba-part-ii-paleo-diet-taking-hold-for-variety-of-reasons

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/writer/ken-berger/24374232/nutrition-in-the-nba-part-iii-the-role-of-the-personal-trainer

While these stories have to do with NBA players, they can still be applied to most athletes (Though there would be slight tweaks to it depending on what sport you play).

Would be very interested to see a NFL team try this, because it's on a much larger scale than an NBA team and would be interesting to see how those diets would have to be tweaked to get max benefit out of NFL players. Sure it's expensive, but a NFL team could easily pay for it. 

I been either power lifting or body building off and on for 18 years. Always thought yoga was a girly thing. I started doing it a couple years ago and it's no joke. I actually feel great doing it. Keeps me well stretched and helps with the muscle healing.

I was in the same boat......Yoga is tough. 

From my experience MMA conditioning drills and grappling helped with my flexibility quite a bit. It also helps with the smaller supporting muscles that most people can't or don't work to strengthen.  I haven't pulled a muscle in years and it has helped with my back problems I had in the military.  I guess yoga would do the same for flexibility. 

From my experience MMA conditioning drills and grappling helped with my flexibility quite a bit. It also helps with the smaller supporting muscles that most people can't or don't work to strengthen. I haven't pulled a muscle in years and it has helped with my back problems I had in the military. I guess yoga would do the same for flexibility.

Yeh, MMA is pretty good for flexibility. I've been doing MMA for 7 years and I still have a very poor ROM in my shoulders though. It should be supplemented with other flexibility work.

You guys should look into PNF stretching. PNF stands for proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation. It is great for increasing ROM in short time periods.

A note of caution though. Hypermobolity in joints may lead to an increase in injury, so proceed with caution. Flexibility may improve performance though.

The biggest thing should be looking at players' motor skills. Doing functional movement tests to see where players are deficient and then rectifying it.

I did actually try one of these classes with my wife, when we were on vacation in Barbados. I called it the Pilates of the Caribbean.....

haha And I suspect you had Madeira Nightly.

(took me ten minutes to come up with that).

I couldn't agree more. My fiancee got me into it a few years ago and I thought the same thing. I've lived in the weight room and thought yoga would be nothing. It's great for your core!

I couldn't agree more. My fiancee got me into it a few years ago and I thought the same thing. I've lived in the weight room and thought yoga would be nothing. It's great for your core!

Yeah my wife comes home from her yoga classes seeing if I can do some of that stuff. No fricken way! Lol. I do like doing the p90x stretch. Which is a lot easier than their yoga video. What's crazy is how most of those pro body builders are so flexible.

chip Kelly was big on the sports science end of it. He had those boys running full speed at practices very up tempo. I heard at one point late in season they had no Ir players amazing...

The legend continues to grow.... I'm totally convinced that we should do some of the stuff the Eagles did, but they had IR players. Jeremy Maclin, for instance, missed the entire year. But they did have very few players on IR, and very few players missing practice time, very few players on the injury report (maybe that's what you meant by "Ir"?)