Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What Is Owed To Peyton By The Colts?

dn4192

Many here believe that Peyton will retire a Colt and that the Colts need to show Peyton the love and not draft his replacement this offseason and this and that about Peyton Manning. So my question is what do the Colts owe Peyton? If the Colts can find a better choice for QB before his contract runs out would it be out of line to either Cut or Trade Peyton before his contract ends? Is it out of line for the Colts to ask Peyton to become the backup at some point?

Isn't it the job of the Franchise to do what is in the best interest of the Franchise? There are those here who point to the Patriots as a model franchise that the Colts should be more like in the area of mag't. Well the Patriots have shown they are willing to dump players even a tad before their decline and move on to other players. This past draft they used a pick on a QB whom could replace Brady in a couple of seasons.

The 49ers moved Joe Montana out via trade for a younger player in Steve Young and we all know what the Packers did to a legend in that city just to get Aaron Rogers into the game.

So what do the Colts owe Mr. Manning?

If I were the Colts' owner, Manning remains the starter for as long as he is healthy and effective. If another QB is brought in and shows himself to be better than Manning, then believe me, Manning will see it as well. Under such circumstance, the more talented understudy would be expected to be patient for oh, about one year. From that point forward, though, it would be reasonable that the best man for the job becomes the starter. Any "professional" player, I think, would agree.

Now, if that means that Manning becomes the back up, then it is HE who has the decision ... to either accept that back-up role, or, if he still wants to be a starter in the league, to go to team management and ask to be either traded or released so that he can try to ride another couple of years as a starter with some other team. As the owner, if that were to come to pass, I would grant HIS wish.

If I were the owner, though, I would want Manning to retire as a Colt. I would continue to pay him well for a couple of years as a back up or I would try to entice him into retirement by offering a plumb management / coaching role. If Manning wants to continue to start, but is no longer the best man for the job for the Colts, then you really have no choice but to trade or release him.

I would NOT trade or release him without his blessing, though ... unless during the process of successfully finding somebody that clearly ought to be starting ahead of Manning, Manning becomes a malcontent. If THAT were to occur, then thank you very much for all your amazing years of service, but Adios, amigo. Catch you on the flip side when you are enshrined into the team's ring of honor.

Edited by rockywoj

Assuming that the "replacement" is Luck, I respond with the following: This offseason, its' a gamble either way, but I feel, and themanagement clearly felt, that Manning is the "safer" bet. No one owes anyone anything in the NFL. But you are making one assumption (possibly 2) that no one has the answers to yet-1) Will Manning be at least as good as he was last year for the next few years? If yes, ride him out! The team has so obviously done this to great results for like 10 years, why change now? And 2) Will Luck be the second coming of Peyton Manning? I don't know that I buy it. Too often over the last few years have the hyped 1st round quarterbacks been pitched into battle to varying results, but none particularly great. Sanchez springs to mind as a "success", but that team is built REALLY well, and I find him useless (opinion). I think the college crop of quarterbacks need some grooming time. 3-4 years worth? No. More like 1-2.

I say keep Manning off IR, get some heavy practice reps toward the end of the year (if healthy) and make a decision then. But I'll bet 99 out of 100 times that the FO picks Manning to lead them out of this abyssmal season, not Luck.

knowing Manning ( which i really don't, just a fan's perspective) he seems like a very proud man. If he sees a youngester better then him, he would probably hang it up and ride the sunset and be our OC (dreams huh), and he was true to his word when he says the colts will be the only team he will play in i think

Many here believe that Peyton will retire a Colt and that the Colts need to show Peyton the love and not draft his replacement this offseason and this and that about Peyton Manning. So my question is what do the Colts owe Peyton? If the Colts can find a better choice for QB before his contract runs out would it be out of line to either Cut or Trade Peyton before his contract ends? Is it out of line for the Colts to ask Peyton to become the backup at some point?

Isn't it the job of the Franchise to do what is in the best interest of the Franchise? There are those here who point to the Patriots as a model franchise that the Colts should be more like in the area of mag't. Well the Patriots have shown they are willing to dump players even a tad before their decline and move on to other players. This past draft they used a pick on a QB whom could replace Brady in a couple of seasons.

The 49ers moved Joe Montana out via trade for a younger player in Steve Young and we all know what the Packers did to a legend in that city just to get Aaron Rogers into the game.

We owe Mr. Manning his salary for the next 4 years...nothing more

Andrew Luck does not resemble Aaron Rodgers or Steve Young...and he's a junior in college..

Andrew Luck wont play for the Colts next year..

We owe it to Manning to let him play when he's healthy in December.

the path will quickly become clear to all at that time..

Drafting a QB will not fix the Colts problems. Have you watched our team play defense? Or the lack thereof?

You are right it will not totally fix all the issues, and I am not asking for the Colts to draft 7 QB's in teh upcoming draft. I say take the best to come out probably since Peyton and since Peyton is at best only about 3-4 seasons left playing, you grab this guy in the draft and with the remaining picks this season you adderss the D.

I don't think that the issue really has anything to do with what the Colts "owe" Peyton. He has been fairly compensated and the Colts have benefited enormously from his presence. They could part ways right now and nothing would change those fundamentals. His life is here, and he strikes me as the type of player who would rather finish what he started than go chasing rainbows, but the fact is that the Colts have every right to cut him if there are injury or performance questions, and he would have every right to sign with whomever who chose to. I'm sure that he would try just as hard for any other team. The man just wants to win.

The issue really has to do with fan pride, and the fact that watching Peyton play for another team would be excruciating. He's built a legend here, and in my eyes (and many others I suspect) the story is supposed to end a certain way. I want him to win multiple additional super bowls as a Colt, break every meaningful passing record in the books, and then ride off into the sunset. Watching him as a diminished player scratching for playing time in San Diego (like Johnny U) or Kansas City (like Joe M), etc, would just be an abomination. I would MUCH rather that the Colts play out the string with Peyton and let him retire, than actively force him out with a replacement - even if it might be in the best long-term interests of the franchise. I have a feeling that Peyton is the type of player who will recognize when he "hasn't got it" any more, and step away gracefully.

I don't think that the issue really has anything to do with what the Colts "owe" Peyton. He has been fairly compensated and the Colts have benefited enormously from his presence. They could part ways right now and nothing would change those fundamentals. His life is here, and he strikes me as the type of player who would rather finish what he started than go chasing rainbows, but the fact is that the Colts have every right to cut him if there are injury or performance questions, and he would have every right to sign with whomever who chose to. I'm sure that he would try just as hard for any other team. The man just wants to win.

The issue really has to do with fan pride, and the fact that watching Peyton play for another team would be excruciating. He's built a legend here, and in my eyes (and many others I suspect) the story is supposed to end a certain way. I want him to win multiple additional super bowls as a Colt, break every meaningful passing record in the books, and then ride off into the sunset. Watching him as a diminished player scratching for playing time in San Diego (like Johnny U) or Kansas City (like Joe M), etc, would just be an abomination. I would MUCH rather that the Colts play out the string with Peyton and let him retire, than actively force him out with a replacement - even if it might be in the best long-term interests of the franchise. I have a feeling that Peyton is the type of player who will recognize when he "hasn't got it" any more, and step away gracefully.

If Peyton is, then he is one of the very few to see that, and I hope you are right.

I really hope Luck turns out to be a bust no matter who drafts him. So sick of hearing about him.

Wasn't there even more hype around both Peyton and Leaf? I can remember it was all any sports show talked about was how these two guys were most draft haves and how this and that. Did you wish failure on Peyton also when he came out?

Wasn't there even more hype around both Peyton and Leaf? I can remember it was all any sports show talked about was how these two guys were most draft haves and how this and that. Did you wish failure on Peyton also when he came out?

Nope, but if you were there back then things might have been different.

Did you say we cut or trade Mannining? Are you kidding with the cut? Luck will never be as good as Mannining. The question is, does Manning want to play on a real bad team or go and win a SB. The Colts will not have any descent years until they fire all the people involved. Luck would NEVER be able to do what Manning has and can do. Just look at all the money Irsay has made by having Manning single handedly winning games. No one would be buying any of the Colts stuff if it wernt for Manning. He should own this franchise.

You are right it will not totally fix all the issues, and I am not asking for the Colts to draft 7 QB's in teh upcoming draft. I say take the best to come out probably since Peyton and since Peyton is at best only about 3-4 seasons left playing, you grab this guy in the draft and with the remaining picks this season you adderss the D.

So let me get this straight: You want to draft Luck and keep Caldwell as head coach? Seems like a great idea since Caldwell's strength is game planning and adjusting schemes. Will be a perfect fit for a new QB. /sarcasm

Did you say we cut or trade Mannining? Are you kidding with the cut? Luck will never be as good as Mannining. The question is, does Manning want to play on a real bad team or go and win a SB. The Colts will not have any descent years until they fire all the people involved. Luck would NEVER be able to do what Manning has and can do. Just look at all the money Irsay has made by having Manning single handedly winning games. No one would be buying any of the Colts stuff if it wernt for Manning. He should own this franchise.

Yes if need be you cut Manning, why is that so hard to grasp? This is a business and you have to run it that way. As for what Luck might or might not do, we have no idea at this point. He could be better then Peyton, put up similar numbers, be average or a bust. We have no way of knowing just like we had no way of knowing what Peyton would do when he was drafted.

So let me get this straight: You want to draft Luck and keep Caldwell as head coach? Seems like a great idea since Caldwell's strength is game planning and adjusting schemes. Will be a perfect fit for a new QB. /sarcasm

I don't care if Caldwell comes back next season or not, I don't have enough info to make that call, what I do know is I have enough info to know that both Polian and Irsay do know what is best and will do so. As for drafting Luck, only an * would pass on him if you have the chance.

I remember in another thread that you are almost 17. Therefore you were...5 when Manning was drafted? Must have been a cognitive youth back then to understand sports pundits...?

Dang, I actually agree with you on something. There was much hype around Manning back then but the mood was different because the Colts didn't have a good QB back then..

I don't care if Caldwell comes back next season or not, I don't have enough info to make that call, what I do know is I have enough info to know that both Polian and Irsay do know what is best and will do so. As for drafting Luck, only an * would pass on him if you have the chance.

You don't have enough information to make either statement. If you don't follow college football then you wouldn't have seen either Luck nor his competition play. Without seeing them play then you can't say that it would be a mistake to pass on him. Only a * would make such an uninformed statement and....you're not a * are you?

Yes if need be you cut Manning, why is that so hard to grasp? This is a business and you have to run it that way. As for what Luck might or might not do, we have no idea at this point. He could be better then Peyton, put up similar numbers, be average or a bust. We have no way of knowing just like we had no way of knowing what Peyton would do when he was drafted.

Your right we didn't know how Peyton was going to pan out but as I recall we didn't have the QB of Peyton's quality when we drafted Peyton so it was not the same at all. We have a GOAT and you say trade Peyton for an unknown as of now in the NFL. Sounds dumb to me. By the way your post are getting very boring because you just keep saying the same things. Either change it up or chill for a bit.

Assuming that the "replacement" is Luck, I respond with the following: This offseason, its' a gamble either way, but I feel, and themanagement clearly felt, that Manning is the "safer" bet. No one owes anyone anything in the NFL. But you are making one assumption (possibly 2) that no one has the answers to yet-1) Will Manning be at least as good as he was last year for the next few years? If yes, ride him out! The team has so obviously done this to great results for like 10 years, why change now? And 2) Will Luck be the second coming of Peyton Manning? I don't know that I buy it. Too often over the last few years have the hyped 1st round quarterbacks been pitched into battle to varying results, but none particularly great. Sanchez springs to mind as a "success", but that team is built REALLY well, and I find him useless (opinion). I think the college crop of quarterbacks need some grooming time. 3-4 years worth? No. More like 1-2.

I say keep Manning off IR, get some heavy practice reps toward the end of the year (if healthy) and make a decision then. But I'll bet 99 out of 100 times that the FO picks Manning to lead them out of this abyssmal season, not Luck.

Ok some are getting this whole Luck thing twisted. Understand this...assuming IF the Colts draft Luck, that does not necessarily mean that they are putting all their eggs in the Luck basket right away. Thus, the team is still Manning's 1.) if he is healthy and 2.) for as long as he is the best quarterback option. In the short term, Manning would still be the man. No one in their right mind even Luck supporters are insinuating that we draft Luck, ditch Peyton and ride Luck into the new era of Colts football. That would not be in the best short-term interest of this franchise. However, I do believe that Peyton's time is limited and we have to look to the future now. We may not be in the position in the near future to grab a prospect of Luck's caliber. So if we are in the enviable position of drafting Luck, we should do it.

Now some are setting expectations on Luck expecting him to be "the second coming of Manning". Ok he will not be that. He will be Andrew Luck. Luck has his own game and it will be different than Peyton. Although Peyton may be to some the G.O.A.T. that doesn't mean that this franchise could not find success with another. This is the Colts the franchise of great qbs. Luck has physical tools that are superior to Peyton. Not saying he is a better overall quarterback but he is definitely more athletically gifted. Peyton compensates for where he falls short physically by being a cerebral mastermind. He studies, studies some more and then studies again and has perfected his craft, maximized his intellect and become a legend. Luck is more gifted physically, he can run, he can throw better, he is atheletic...i've seen him line up as a wide out for crying out loud and the boy can also lay the lumber on an unsuspecting corner back if he has to. So these guys will be different and will play different.

I think as a franchise we owe Peyton our gratitude for putting the Indianapolis version of the Colts on the map. The Manning era has seen Indianapolis finally take its place beside Baltimore as the destination of legendary Colts teams. He is the Indy Unitas. But the lesson learned from Unitas is no matter how great you become, no one man is greater than the franchise. I believe the Colts organization will do what they have to do for the betterment of the franchise. Assuming Manning is healthy, I think they will ride him out and try to fortify the team around him. But I also believe that if they are in a position to take a chance on a prospect such as Luck then they will not let having Manning keep them from doing it.

Right now we need Peyton because with him we can be a Super Bowl contender NOW. Luck is for later. The thing that Luck does for us if he proves to be legit is that he gives us more time to extend the viability of this franchise. We have more time to rebuild the Colts to become a more formidable all around team to win with Luck in the future. Things that many fans want such as changing schemes to 3-4, remaking the defensive roster with proper scheme specific personnel, etc. takes time and are transitions that we will have time to implement in the Luck era. We don't have time for that massive rebuild under Peyton so if we want to win now...we need to keep him, augment the team where we can with our remaining draft picks this year and for the duration of the Manning era and try to make another go for it.

Edited by Coltsman1788

I think I finally realize why your views are so out of sync with most fans'. To most of us, football isn't a business. It's a passion. And with passion, comes emotion. We get emotionally invested in these players, and we root for them because of that emotional attachment. That attachment is especially strong with a guy like Peyton who has been amazing on the field and a class act off of it.

If you are still hung up on the business aspect of it, imagine this scenario. You have a guy who has worked for your company for years and is a hard worker, a good worker, and respected and liked by all of his coworkers. Then you have a guy who has never really worked anywhere before, but you think he'll be a good worker. He is younger, so he can work longer than the first guy. Do you fire the guy who has given everything he has to your company to replace him with a guy who probably won't be as good (because the guy you have is the best you've ever seen and not likely to be surpassed by anyone) but can do it longer?

I really hope Luck turns out to be a bust no matter who drafts him. So sick of hearing about him.

rotfl.... what makes you think you'll hear less about him if he IS a bust, especially among his many haters here on the Forum?

A good number of which I am sure will disappear into thin air if he fulfills expectations.

And does "no matter what team drafts him" include the Colts, Colts fan?

I think I finally realize why your views are so out of sync with most fans'. To most of us, football isn't a business. It's a passion. And with passion, comes emotion. We get emotionally invested in these players, and we root for them because of that emotional attachment. That attachment is especially strong with a guy like Peyton who has been amazing on the field and a class act off of it.

If you are still hung up on the business aspect of it, imagine this scenario. You have a guy who has worked for your company for years and is a hard worker, a good worker, and respected and liked by all of his coworkers. Then you have a guy who has never really worked anywhere before, but you think he'll be a good worker. He is younger, so he can work longer than the first guy. Do you fire the guy who has given everything he has to your company to replace him with a guy who probably won't be as good (because the guy you have is the best you've ever seen and not likely to be surpassed by anyone) but can do it longer?

This IS the problem. Most fans do not/will not seperate emotions from reality. I don't agree with dn4192 but I can see the Colts from a business aspect. Strictly from a business side, it would be the smartest thing to do to draft Luck if given the chance, but that does not nessasarily mean they have to cut Peyton or trade him.

People here seem to think that just because a 1st overall pick has never had to ride the bench for a few yrs. that it just simply can't be done. Thats ridiculous, if the organization feels like it would be the most beneficial thing then thats what they'll do. People here that wish Luck be a bust simply because their tired of the hype is beyond juvenile and pathetic. He's a kid that has practiced his craft to become the very best he can be and its not his fault if everybody is swooning over him.

Edited by Balzer40

rotfl.... what makes you think you'll hear less about him if he IS a bust, especially among his many haters here on the Forum?

A good number of which I am sure will disappear into thin air if he fulfills expectations.

And does "no matter what team drafts him" include the Colts, Colts fan?

I agree, and I have also said that if the Colts decide to pass on Luck and then he goes on to be great in short order, many of the haters will be saying just how stupid it was for the Colts to pass on him, espesially if Manning gets hurt again next yr. and has to retire or is just not very effective.

Edited by Balzer40

I don't think anybody is a "hater" of luck, he's clearly the top prospect in next years draft and will probably be a good player. Many of would just rather trade him for a bunch of potentially good starters rather then get a really nice bench warmer for a few years/ probable good starter. If we even end up in a situation to draft him.

I don't think anybody is a "hater" of luck, he's clearly the top prospect in next years draft and will probably be a good player. Many of would just rather trade him for a bunch of potentially good starters rather then get a really nice bench warmer for a few years/ probable good starter. If we even end up in a situation to draft him.

Maybe you didn't see the few here that were actually wishing Luck be a bust. I couldn't stand Cam Newton and thought he would be a bust, but I sure wasn't wishing that on him because thats just childish.

How about the fact that he brought your colts from mediocrity to success. How about the fact that before he got to Indy none of your fans were going to the games and you were about to ship off to Los Angeles. How about the fact that the stadium that kept the Colts in Indy was built on funds from successful seasons as a result from Peyton. How about the fact that your team can't win a single game without him. Or how about just the fact that he's Peyton. Take your pick and GET OUT OF HERE WITH YOUR POST!

Edited by Mark

How about the fact that he brought your colts from mediocrity to success. How about the fact that before he got to Indy none of your fans were going to the games and you were about to ship off to Los Angeles. How about the fact that the stadium that kept the Colts in Indy was built on funds from successful seasons as a result from Peyton. How about the fact that your team can't win a single game without him. Or how about just the fact that he's Peyton. Take your pick and GET OUT OF HERE WITH YOUR POST!

+1 on this.

This guy seems to love Luck so much. Take into consideration that his team has 3 stud TE's, over 200 yards rushing a game, and the top defense in their conference.. I somewhat hope we draft him just so we can see him fail with this mediocre running game and bad o-line.... just to see all these luck-lover call him a "bust"

Good post and that's a +1 in my book also.