Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Its acceptable to miss work to watch the Colts?

Callie

If is the playoffs?

Last week, I had to have a fellow co-worker pick up my shift, and I in return picked up another co-workers shift so I could watch the game....

then as soon as I saw we were playing the Patriots, I realized I worked til 10.....soooo I managed to switch shifts again. I hope for a good game!

Thankfully my boss knows how big of a fan I am.... :blueshoe:

Anyone else do similar?

If is the playoffs?

Last week, I had to have a fellow co-worker pick up my shift, and I in return picked up another co-workers shift so I could watch the game....

then as soon as I saw we were playing the Patriots, I realized I worked til 10.....soooo I managed to switch shifts again. I hope for a good game!

Anyone else do similar?

You're doing it right. As long as it's always covered I'm fine with it. Being "sick" however isn't cool. 

You're doing it right. As long as it's always covered I'm fine with it. Being "sick" however isn't cool. 

wrong

missing a colts game isn't "cool"

people have sick days for a reason.  it would make me sick to know i wasn't watching the game

If is the playoffs?

Anyone else do similar?

Only in the playoffs...

In fact...all work in a 500mile radius of Indy should be required to provide AFFORDABLE video FEEDS..

Its called the  'Affordable Andrew Act'

Back in 85-86, I lived in PA, and had previously gotten tickets to the Orange Bowl to see my Oklahoma Sooners, play undefeated Penn State for the National Championship #1 vs #2. I was the lone Sooner fan on the plane, (which was dangerous in itself)..

I had just started a great full time job, and I explained the situation to my boss, that I needed to take 2 days off, since I had already spent the money...He gave me the days off without pay as personal time, because I hadn't earned any vacation. I got to see OU win its national title, one of my schoolmates playing for Penn State, and got to talk with a lot of the players, because my friend was an offensive lineman..(side note)..Also got to dance with the beautiful daughter of the owner of the hotel, and have breakfast with her the next morning, a gorgeous young goddess from the Ivory Coast...(many people asked her to dance, and she turned them all down, they dared me to ask, I went up, and asked her if she would care to dance..she replied."I though you'd never ask"..smiled and we danced til we closed the place..(though her dad was watching me like a hawk..lol)

If my boss had said no, I would have went to work..I had been waiting for a year to get in, and couldn't afford to lose one of the best jobs available...In my opinion, no game, no matter what, would I call in sick to watch a game..I can always tape it and watch it later...My families well-being far supercededs anything else..God, then Family, then Football...

When I went back to work, I gave him an autographed team photo, with a lot of the players signatures, that I got as a present from my friend, for being so kind and thoughtful for letting me attend...

That was one of the greatest times I ever had...

Side Note: who was the former starting QB for Oklahoma that year, who was hurt and knocked out for the rest of the season in a previous regular season game?...the answer night surprise you if you don't already know...I didn't get to meet him, but I got my picture taken with Keith Jackson (All-Pro TE for the Eagles)..and "The Boz"

If is the playoffs?

Anyone else do similar?

With my job if I had to work during a big game I'd probably take PTO, if it was a regular game I'd just DVR it. Or if it's a job where someone can fill in, see if you could get a sub.

You all should be ASHAMED! :no:

Bunch of lunatics missing out on a hard days work just for Colts games?

*Sips apple juice & regains breath*

Don't make no sense! Is this what society is coming to? What happened to order?!!

What if the mods of this great forum took Saturday off to watch the game? I'll tell you what'll happen

CHAOS CHAOS & MORE CHAOS :Nuke:

:panic:

Highly disappointed in all of you. Never sharing my apple juice with any of you who said you have missed work to watch the Colts :rantoff:

Back in 85-86, I lived in PA, and had previously gotten tickets to the Orange Bowl to see my Oklahoma Sooners, play undefeated Penn State for the National Championship #1 vs #2. I was the lone Sooner fan on the plane, (which was dangerous in itself)..

I had just started a great full time job, and I explained the situation to my boss, that I needed to take 2 days off, since I had already spent the money...He gave me the days off without pay as personal time, because I hadn't earned any vacation. I got to see OU win its national title, one of my schoolmates playing for Penn State, and got to talk with a lot of the players, because my friend was an offensive lineman..(side note)..Also got to dance with the beautiful daughter of the owner of the hotel, and have breakfast with her the next morning, a gorgeous young goddess from the Ivory Coast...(many people asked her to dance, and she turned them all down, they dared me to ask, I went up, and asked her if she would care to dance..she replied."I though you'd never ask"..smiled and we danced til we closed the place..(though her dad was watching me like a hawk..lol)

If my boss had said no, I would have went to work..I had been waiting for a year to get in, and couldn't afford to lose one of the best jobs available...In my opinion, no game, no matter what, would I call in sick to watch a game..I can always tape it and watch it later...My families well-being far supercededs anything else..God, then Family, then Football...

When I went back to work, I gave him an autographed team photo, with a lot of the players signatures, that I got as a present from my friend, for being so kind and thoughtful for letting me attend...

Side Note: who was the former starting QB for Oklahoma that year, who was hurt and knocked out for the rest of the season in a previous regular season game?...the answer night surprise you if you don't already know...I didn't get to meet him, but I got my picture taken with Keith Jackson (All-Pro TE for the Eagles)..and "The Boz"

Nice story. And respect for your boss. How did the job work out?

You all should be ASHAMED! :no:

Bunch of lunatics missing out on a hard days work just for Colts games?

*Sips apple juice & regains breath*

Don't make no sense! Is this what society is coming to? What happened to order?!!

What if the mods of this great forum took Saturday off to watch the game? I'll tell you what'll happen

CHAOS CHAOS & MORE CHAOS :Nuke:

:panic:

Highly disappointed in all of you. Never sharing my apple juice with any of you who said you have missed work to watch the Colts :rantoff:

Without question, this is the post of the New Year so far

You had a very nice boss there buddy. All I have to say is God Bless Digital Video Recorders & NFL Sunday Ticket. I never miss a Colts game now. The trick is to tell your co-workers not to tell you the score because I cannot be held responsible for my actions if they accidentally clue me into how INDY is doing. 

Even my immediate family knows not to call me, text me, e-mail me, or Skype me when Andrew Luck is under center. Everything else stops until SW1 has seen the entire game & if we lose, don't call me for at least 45 minutes if you know what's good for ya. LOL! 

Remember: I live in GB Packers Country & I take a ton of heat for not being a diehard Packers fan too. It's cool. I'm used to being the rebellious black sheep in my family anyway.  haha

Nice story. And respect for your boss. How did the job work out?

I was there for over 5 years, until the Gov't contracts dwindled, and I left to take another position in a different company, because I couldn't survive on 2-3 days if that week, esp with a baby coming. The division I was in specialized in making timer fuzes for weapons..some of which actulally had to have blasting caps inserted so that when the timer went to 0, it flicked a pin, that detonated a small blast that set off the weapon. We also did timer pieces for watches, clocks etc, but those jobs were filled by people with such high seniority, you couldn't get into them without at least 25 years...It was one of the best jobs I ever had. We also had an industrial league Basketball team, where I was the starting 2 guard at 6'2,which we won one championship, never had a losing record, and I was #2 in scoring and #3 in rebounds on the team. High game of 32 points, 5 assists, and 9 rebounds as a guard...shooting 86 and 84 percent from the free throw line for the years to lead the enitre league both years I played.

The other company I went to produced and printed computer forms. The company was bought out 11 years later, as paper filing dwindled, and e-storage became popular. I loved running that high-speed press, gave me a great workout, kept me in great shape, and worked 3 12 hour days, with every third Sunday to make up for it..So every week I had Thurdsday, Friday and Saturday off, unless I wanted OT, which was always available..

I miss it so much now BHC because now I am disabled, and cannot work with my health issues..I want so bad to go back to Indana where my wife is from, to be with her family, closer to my family, and also to go to LOS for one more game...Back before I got ill,, we went back for Thanksgiving, and my wife payed 250 a piece for 40 yard line tickets as my early Christmas present, in the upper section of the Dome, to see Monday Night Football against the Steelers. That was the year we took the bye, and Harper couldn't take the fumble the whole way back and we didn't make it to the Super Bowl..But that memory in the RCA Dome was one I'll never forget..First play of the game, right in front of me..Peyton to Marvin 80 yard TD.

I have been very blessed with a lot of great moments and memories from all different sports, whether playing or attending, so I have no regrets that now I am not in great health..It makes me appreciate more what life is really about, and thankful for all I have received. I was also given a gift of a new liver, so I also live for that person, who by their family's generous gift of life, allowed me to still be here nearly 5 years after being given a death sentence. He lives on in me, and I honor that person, whomever he or she is, abd as long as I live, they live on inside me...

Sorry for being so long-winded..its that what you asked in your post, brought back a flood of great memories..thanks..I needed to have that today..

I was there for over 5 years, until the Gov't contracts dwindled, and I left to take another position in a different company, because I couldn't survive on 2-3 days if that week, esp with a baby coming. The division I was in specialized in making timer fuzes for weapons..some of which actulally had to have blasting caps inserted so that when the timer went to 0, it flicked a pin, that detonated a small blast that set off the weapon. We also did timer pieces for watches, clocks etc, but those jobs were filled by people with such high seniority, you couldn't get into them without at least 25 years...It was one of the best jobs I ever had. We also had an industrial league Basketball team, where I was the starting 2 guard at 6'2,which we won one championship, never had a losing record, and I was #2 in scoring and #3 in rebounds on the team. High game of 32 points, 5 assists, and 9 rebounds as a guard...shooting 86 and 84 percent from the free throw line for the years to lead the enitre league both years I played.

The other company I went to produced and printed computer forms. The company was bought out 11 years later, as paper filing dwindled, and e-storage became popular. I loved running that high-speed press, gave me a great workout, kept me in great shape, and worked 3 12 hour days, with every third Sunday to make up for it..So every week I had Thurdsday, Friday and Saturday off, unless I wanted OT, which was always available..

I miss it so much now BHC because now I am disabled, and cannot work with my health issues..I want so bad to go back to Indana where my wife is from, to be with her family, closer to my family, and also to go to LOS for one more game...Back before I got ill,, we went back for Thanksgiving, and my wife payed 250 a piece for 40 yard line tickets as my early Christmas present, in the upper section of the Dome, to see Monday Night Football against the Steelers. That was the year we took the bye, and Harper couldn't take the fumble the whole way back and we didn't make it to the Super Bowl..But that memory in the RCA Dome was one I'll never forget..First play of the game, right in front of me..Peyton to Marvin 80 yard TD.

I have been very blessed with a lot of great moments and memories from all different sports, whether playing or attending, so I have no regrets that now I am not in great health..It makes me appreciate more what life is really about, and thankful for all I have received. I was also given a gift of a new liver, so I also live for that person, who by their family's generous gift of life, allowed me to still be here nearly 5 years after being given a death sentence. He lives on in me, and I honor that person, whomever he or she is, abd as long as I live, they live on inside me...

Sorry for being so long-winded..its that what you asked in your post, brought back a flood of great memories..thanks..I needed to have that today..

I realize that you addressed your reply to BHC & I apologize if I am overstepping my bounds here by replying to your post TYG. However, I just wanted to complement you on your positive outlook on life & the pleasant experiences you have had in life my friend. Acquiring a disability later in life is never easy. My father knows exactly what that is like & I was born with a physical disability myself. My only point in telling that is to illustrate that I know from my dad's experience how much more difficult it is to cope with a disability years down the road as opposed to be born with it from day one. I have no other frame of reference. My limitations have never changed where as my father struggled with what he used to be able to do with ease & can no execute as smoothly as he once did. 

I really applaud your optimism TYG. It says a great deal about your character, your gratitude, & your drive to keep moving forward despite the obstacles you continue to face everyday. Bravo my friend. Bravo.  :hat:

Having said all that...There are still days when you are entitled to vent, complain, & curse if necessary too. You would be human if you didn't. LOL! 

Not so sure about taking the time off sick to watch.. oddly I've have a weird pride in I've not had a sick day in, well I can't remember last time I was off sick. It's got to the point that I'll go to work ill to keep the "streak" going. 

However given the time difference between there and here I quite often have to watch NFL at stupid o'clock in the morning so yeah I've booked days off from work specifically to watch a game. I always book the Monday after the Superbowl off so I can get into the spirit, or should that be get into the spirits? :P 

Thankfully it being Sat night not a worry against the Pats, though I'm out for a 30th birthday so I'm going to have to make a good excuse at some point so I can get home to watch :) 

Not so sure about taking the time off sick to watch.. oddly I've have a weird pride in I've not had a sick day in, well I can't remember last time I was off sick. It's got to the point that I'll go to work ill to keep the "streak" going. 

However given the time difference between there and here I quite often have to watch NFL at stupid o'clock in the morning so yeah I've booked days off from work specifically to watch a game. I always book the Monday after the Superbowl off so I can get into the spirit, or should that be get into the spirits? :P

Thankfully it being Sat night not a worry against the Pats, though I'm out for a 30th birthday so I'm going to have to make a good excuse at some point so I can get home to watch :)

Happy early birthday SCC!

I do wonder how Colts fans outside the U.S. like you, BraveheartColt, & HungarianColtsFan see INDY games overseas. I imagine some games are broadcast pretty late at night or early in the morning. 3 A.M. really? Wow! Very impressive...Both the late hour & the ability to analyze the game too. Do you have to watch it live? Can it be recorded somehow? I don't know. I'm asking.

NFL fans abroad do deserve extra credit for their devotion to American Blue Horseshoe Football. Take a bow please for that commitment & dedication IMHO.  I sincerely mean that too. 

Happy early birthday SCC!

I do wonder how Colts fans outside the U.S. like you BraveheartColt, & HungarianColtsFan see INDY games overseas. I imagine some games are broadcast pretty late at night or early in the morning. 3 A.M. really? Wow!

NFL fans abroad do deserve extra credit for their devotion to American Blue Horseshoe Football. Take a bow please for that commitment & dedication IMHO.  I sincerely mean that too. 

Not my birthday just yet, thankfully, I'm not looking forward to turning 30 later this year :(

It can be interesting and a challenge to watch sometimes, but Gamepass makes it a lot easier certainly and I can watch a lot other games when I've got 20 minutes to kill (condensed feature is amazing for a quick look at a game). The real hump I want to get over is to follow in Braveheart's footsteps and actually go to LOS and see a game in Indy. One day :)