Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Did you hear about this floating around about the NFL fix on Chargers winning the SB?

chad72

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, January 8, 2014 - post from another forum
Hidden by Nadine, January 8, 2014 - post from another forum

Best post on the Chargers' forum this morning on this one:

Originally Posted by packman76 viewpost.gif
Hmmm.

So clearly Ryan Succop is in on this, thus he intentionally missed the 41 yard FG. But if that's true doesn't that do away with the complaining that if the refs had called the penalty he'd have made the ensuing 36 yarder? Clearly, being in on the conspiracy, he'd have just intentionally missed again.

And clearly Andy Dalton is in on this as well, thus him committing 3 turnovers, 1 virtually unforced on the fumble.

And I suppose that the Dolphins and Ravens must be in on this too. Clearly that's why they both lost their last two games to open the playoff door for us.

And is Pittsburgh secretly in on this too, thus letting themselves go 8-8 so we could sneak in ahead of them? And they've only done so much complaining about it to put on a good show?

And now I see why we let Vasquez and Phillips go to Denver in the offseason. We were planting sleeper cell agents! Phillips is going to have 2 personal fouls Sunday, minimum, and Vasquez will bust out some killer holding or illegal man downfield penalties if things start going south for the Chargers.

Man, there's no telling how deep this thing runs!

The Superbowl party's going to be sweet. cheers.gif
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really felt like the fix was in for the Ravens last year. Arians comes down with an inner ear infection and can't even come to the game. The Rahim Moore brain fart and Peyton Manning pick in the Broncos game. The Pats taking the second half off in their game. And of course the SB with the holding on the last play that was not called.

Now Old Crow will appear and tell me to take a hike ... ok, ok. But that is an awful lot of things going the Ravens way. Just saying ... and I didn't even mention the deer antler spray.

Lol. Deer antler spray is the most bizarre thing I've ever heard of an athlete using to try to skirt around banned substances.

I didn't get past the first couple of sentences in the link. Sorry but when someone drops an anti-Semitic bomb like that right off the bat, I stop listening to whatever nonsense it is that may be spewing from their keyboard. 

The notion that any professional football game can be manipulated by conspiracy is pretty whacked, IMO. You're talking about a conspiracy that would involve thousands of players, coaches, team officials, etc. With that many in on it, there's no way it would ever stay clandestine. 

There have been some very questionable events leading up to super bowl's in the past 15 years or so...completely unbiased (except one ;p), here are a few exampes:

1. the year after the 9/11 attack, tom brady comes out of no where to lead the "patriots" to a super bowl on a last second field goal against a HEAVILY favored rams team.

2. "New Orleans" Saints superbowl win the year after Hurrican Katrina on a "calculated risk" onside kick after half time against our beloved undefeated regular season colts (and the awful stare down pick at the end)

3. They got 2 birds with 1 stone on this one...Ray Lewis, a symbol of passionate football (dirty if you ask me) announces his retirement and all of a sudden the wild card ravens run the table on back to back miraculous comebacks (which flacco didnt do all year) and they got the epic match up of the "Harbough brothers" (i was a year early in predicting that one)

The fact is, America (and Vegas) love under-dogs.  Look it up, something like 5 out of the last 6 super bowl winners have been wild card teams...

There are other obvious clues that either Vegas, or someone very powerful has a hand in these games...thoughts?

Add the 6th seed 2005 Steelers winning the SB right after Bettis announces that he will retire.  And in that SB, I remember thinking the officials were especially terrible.  It seemed they called a flag on Seattle anytime they crossed midfield.

Last year, when Ray Lewis announced he would retire once the Ravens' season was over, I immediately thought to myself that the Ravens were going to win the SB.  I wasn't completely serious but the thought did cross my mind...and we all know what happened.

I didn't get past the first couple of sentences in the link. Sorry but when someone drops an anti-Semitic bomb like that right off the bat, I stop listening to whatever nonsense it is that may be spewing from their keyboard. 

The notion that any professional football game can be manipulated by conspiracy is pretty whacked, IMO. You're talking about a conspiracy that would involve thousands of players, coaches, team officials, etc. With that many in on it, there's no way it would ever stay clandestine. 

The bottom line is that guys that are getting paid millions upon millions of dollars to play a game will do what they're told to do in order to keep making those millions upon millions of dollars.  And why would it involve thousands of players, coaches, team officials etc?  it really doesn't need to involve anyone other than the officiating crew, but if it needed to go beyond that, the HC and possibly one or two key players (key players also being among the most highly paid) on each team are all that would need to be involved.  There would be absolutely no reason to bring every person in each franchise in on it....if there was an "it" that is.

I'm with Balzer...nothing would surprise me these days.  Money and fame can make people do things that most people would consider unthinkable.  

The bottom line is that guys that are getting paid millions upon millions of dollars to play a game will do what they're told to do in order to keep making those millions upon millions of dollars.  And why would it involve thousands of players, coaches, team officials etc?  it really doesn't need to involve anyone other than the officiating crew, but if it needed to go beyond that, the HC and possibly one or two key players (key players also being among the most highly paid) on each team are all that would need to be involved.  There would be absolutely no reason to bring every person in each franchise in on it....if there was an "it" that is.

All due respect for diverging opinions...

I don't agree that the refs could influence the outcome of a game that blatantly. Yes they make bad calls, but think about the massive coordination/orchestration that would be necessary to pull that off. Certain plays would have to be called at certain times. And even making a bogus call doesn't guarantee that "team A" will win and "team B" will lose. This isn't basketball, where a ref can send one team to the free throw line 40 times in a game while the other team gets 10.

There are, what, something like 1500 players in the NFL? Obviously most teams' second and third-stringers would not have to be involved, but with 22 guys on the field at any given time, you simply could not control the outcome if you only have a couple of star players "on the take." 

If the NFL is fake, it would be the biggest sham in the history of mankind, IMO. And probably one of the most airtight conspiracies too. 

I don't agree that the refs could influence the outcome of a game that blatantly. Yes they make bad calls, but think about the massive coordination/orchestration that would be necessary to pull that off. Certain plays would have to be called at certain times. And even making a bogus call doesn't guarantee that "team A" will win and "team B" will lose. This isn't basketball, where a ref can send one team to the free throw line 40 times in a game while the other team gets 10.

There are, what, something like 1500 players in the NFL? Obviously most teams' second and third-stringers would not have to be involved, but with 22 guys on the field at any given time, you simply could not control the outcome if you only have a couple of star players "on the take." 

If the NFL is fake, it would be the biggest sham in the history of mankind, IMO. And probably one of the most airtight conspiracies too. 

Yep, I agree that a bogus call does not guarantee anything but keep the game close. That is all a team of "Conspiracy Destiny" might need to seize on that call and do something with it. Otherwise, it would be too obvious. ;)

Besides, it is fun to talk about it anyway. However, the more it gets closer, SD to the SB, the bigger the theory will loom large in people's minds. :)

Yep, I agree that a bogus call does not guarantee anything but keep the game close. That is all a team of "Conspiracy Destiny" might need to seize on that call and do something with it. Otherwise, it would be too obvious. ;)

Besides, it is fun to talk about it anyway. However, the more it gets closer, SD to the SB, the bigger the theory will loom large in people's minds. :)

Hmm, San Diego... always reminds me of "Anchorman"... "Anchorman 2" came out last month... hmmm....

;)

Realistically, it wouldn't take anyone other than the QBs.

However, I don't now nor have I ever thought that the entire NFL was fake.  I also don't buy this San Diego conspiracy either, though if they go on to win the SB...well that would be interesting.  

I was being facetious more than anything in my previous post.  The Patriots coming out of no where and winning in '01 was a bit...convenient.  However the success they've had since then pretty much disproves any type of major conspiracy.  Maybe the officiating was leaning towards the Pats that year and maybe they weren't.  To be completely honest I don't remember that season well enough to say one way or another.

Conspiracy never crossed my mind with the New Orleans SB win and as for last year, I was serious when I said that the thought crossed my mind that the Ravens would win the SB after Lewis' announcement, but I don't recall any glaringly lopsided officiating in their games.

The one year that I really did wonder about though was 2005.  At first I thought it seemed as though the officiating was trying to let the Colts win.  I remember several calls in the Colts/Steelers game that I thought went in the Colts favor that shouldn't have.  However the Steelers wound up winning, and from that point forward I remember thinking that the officiating seemed to heavily favor the Steelers in their remaining games and especially in the SB against Seattle.

Ultimately you're right.  It would be near impossible to rig every game of the regular season and post season.  However, it would be completely possible to have the officiating crew favor one team over another in the playoffs to try (<---key word there) to get the best possible matchup and storyline for the SB.

According to this dude the Eagles opener thingie is all a fix for fun and might now have to end since so many have caught onto it. Heck even the networks put it up on the screen now.

im sorry but i didnt get that that...what eagle thing?

Well, a competitive team, if the game is close, can get calls and non-calls in its favor to keep the game close. He wrote this on Dec.23rd. I'm going to watch SD games more closely now :), whether it is true or not.

i saw something like this, liek really similar but for the world soccer championship. it was someone trolling, he published with different accounts in annonymous way every posible world cup bracket combination and when the world cup groupings were announced he deleted the wrong combos and claimed everything was rigged...Im not saying this is the same case but it would be worth looking for some other misterious random conspiracy theories.

I think with the amount of money that is bet on the NFL (#1 bet on sport) it would be naïve to think that games are not controlled to a certain extent to keep those in Vegas happy.

but how? I read some of the posts like the crazy things happened to the ravens, those giants, the pats after 9 11 etc...but to make that happen wouldnt that mean that players are also part of it? and that would mean way too many people knowing this which would result in a leak?

hypothetically will it be as simple as refs? I mean they can change a game but wouldnt it be too obvious?

Honestly, nothing would surprise me. I've said for 15+ yrs. that there is no doubt in my mind that the NBA is rigged and the champions are picked before the season even starts. It's the main reason why I gave up on that league yrs. ago. I would hate to think that the NFL is that way too, but ya just never know. With some of the flat out horrific officiating the last few yrs. and especially this season, something don't quite smell right. Like I said earlier, if the Chargers do indeed win it all this yr., then I'm going to seriously question the validity of the league from then on.

This is interesting to me, why the NBA? Honest question dont really watch it so i know nothing of it but i always thougth american sports were more difficult to "cheat" than on soccer.

Soccer is well known for having some crazy stuff happened... probably the most famous one was one of refs fixing matches and Juventus going to the second division as punishment of it.... FYI sending juventus to the second division would be like dissappearing the cowboys for a year.

but how? I read some of the posts like the crazy things happened to the ravens, those giants, the pats after 9 11 etc...but to make that happen wouldnt that mean that players are also part of it? and that would mean way too many people knowing this which would result in a leak?

hypothetically will it be as simple as refs? I mean they can change a game but wouldnt it be too obvious?

The NBA was fixing games based on officiating.I think the NFL refs easily can change the outcomes of games. We have seen it all season. Close games that have come down to refs calls at the end. Jets/Pats and the pushing call on the FG. KC/Chargers game no call on the over loaded side on the FG. And how about the no call on the holding on fourth and goal in the SB last year? I think the NFL has so many rules and as the players always say you can call holding on every play, makes it easy to fix if they wanted to without the players or coaches being involved.

You can't cheat to win in the NFL and only a fool would even think it remotely possible.

And, anyway, 4 different NFL officials (and especially booth review officials on a scoring play as well) can certainly count how many players are on each side of the center when they look directly at potentially the most important play of the game. No possible way to cheat on something like that.

A lot of things in life that are much more important then sports can be fixed/swayed so IMO it is a bit naïve to think sports are never rigged. I mean look, not saying it happens all the time, will happen this year etc. but I am sure it has happened and I guarantee it has happened. When this much money is involved there will always be shady holes in a lot of stories.

Besides, sometimes I hate the leagues obsession lately with hot underdog 8 to 9 win teams going on runs. Started years ago IMO and still going strong. I was happy when the Giants in 2011 beat the Pats but also groaned since it was the first 9-7 SB champion. I prefer SB champs to have 11+ regular season wins....maybe 10 but at least double digits. If they expand the playoffs this sport will become much much worse.

Nobody likes to think their favorite past time with football could be shady but it can be. Look at how many times this season alone Colts fans here have complained or seen a few awful calls go against us. It sucks when it happens to your own team more then anything. Ask Vikings fans how they feel about seeing Favre nearly crippled out there vs. the Saints and robbing their team of a chance at the title. And to this day I still think we recovered that onside kick initially.

Of course you can overcome bad calls in the end......score enough points. But, in the playoffs when all the teams are good and often have tough matchups a game can be swayed by just one or two calls.

Oh and yeah, Brady fumbled in 2001.

im sorry but i didnt get that that...what eagle thing?

The last 4 teams to play vs. the Eagles in the Eagles home opener have gone on to win the Super Bowl. I think it is 4 right now and San Diego was the opponent for Philly in their home opener this season. The guy who started this in the initial link is saying that this is a joke too with the NFL and they may have to change it now since everyone caught on.

Well perhaps if there is any truth to this rumor it will change since it has been brought to public attention but the general public won't really see it.

The only thing that gives me pause about all this is the guy wrote it December 23rd, before the final week of the regular season where SD seemed a long shot to get in over Baltimore/Miami.

Well, the Steelers did have the Jerome Bettis, native of Detroit, retirement story, finishing in a SB in Detroit??? :)

The bogus offensive PI call that took away Jeremy Stevens' TD pass from Hasselback in the SB, need I remind you? Heck, Randy Moss pushes off more and gets away with it, that was nothing compared to that.

Jets did the Peyton and Brady combo too but since those were in the wild card and divisional round, they did not make it to the SB and lost to Pitt.

Hey, Colts got the new stadium in 2008, didn't they, after the 2006 SB win??? When did the Giants and Jets get their new stadium? :) Didn't MetLife get the rights in 2011 for the new stadium?

Wait, so you're sayin' Peyton didn't build LOS?

You can't cheat to win in the NFL and only a fool would even think it remotely possible.

How much does it take to swing a game as a ref? We know there is holding and PI on every play, plus they now have complete control over all scores and turnovers...So a ref can throw a flag on ANY play and now overturn turnovers/points automatically and your argument is its not possible because it cant be done? C'mon, you gotta have something better then that...

I find this incredibly amusing.... But then I am not a conspiracy theorist about anything.

From what any of us knew about the Chargers at the beginning of the year - what sane person would have even TRIED to rig the results? We were 5-7 at our lowest point and exactly WHO outside of our locker room had any idea they had it in them to go 5-0 from that point on? Do you have any idea how really foolish it would have been for the NFL to even try to rig that result? Especially with a new GM and new Coaches? Even San Diego's fans for the most part had given up on them.

Im not saying I buy it, but I've seen crazier things.

This is interesting to me, why the NBA? Honest question dont really watch it so i know nothing of it but i always thougth american sports were more difficult to "cheat" than on soccer.

Soccer is well known for having some crazy stuff happened... probably the most famous one was one of refs fixing matches and Juventus going to the second division as punishment of it.... FYI sending juventus to the second division would be like dissappearing the cowboys for a year.

The NBA is a joke. It's so blatenly obvious that they favor large market teams not only by letting them manipulate their salary cap but also the refs give the big market teams more calls in the playoffs. It became a joke to me yrs. ago when I could easily name 3 out of the final 4 teams yr. in and yr. out. I literally pay no attention to it now though so I have no idea who they're favoring these days.

That's what makes it so implausible.....plus the fact that it would shatter the integrity of the NFL and badly jeopardize the billion $$$$ stranglehold they have among major sports.

Having said that, if anything "fixed" ever happens with NFL football.....I will head for the door and I will not come back.

I really felt like the fix was in for the Ravens last year. Arians comes down with an inner ear infection and can't even come to the game. The Rahim Moore brain fart and Peyton Manning pick in the Broncos game. The Pats taking the second half off in their game. And of course the SB with the holding on the last play that was not called.

Now Old Crow will appear and tell me to take a hike ... ok, ok. But that is an awful lot of things going the Ravens way. Just saying ... and I didn't even mention the deer antler spray.

a patriot fan accusing other team‘s of cheating...now that‘s rich. Thanks for the hearty chuckle.

I actually hope the chargers win. Just so I can lmbo at everyone and their comments about being a fool, dumb, etc. for thinking this is true. Last years playoffs had me scratching my head. This will just be sweet.

If the Chargers win the Super Bowl does not equal the NFL is fixed.  It means that if you can get into the dance anything can happen.

1.  Refs alone can't "fix" a season.  A ref could fix a game.  Things of that nature  have happened before, but not a conspiracy as huge as would be necessary for the NFL.

2.  If you had more than 2 or 3 people involved it would NEVER stay quiet.  This is where all conspiracy theories go wrong.  People talk.  People file lawsuits to make money. 

3.  Players move around.  If a player on team A that "fixes" a game moves to team "B" who's game was fixed he stays quiet?!  Yeah right! 

4.  You would have to have teams willing to lay down and let another team win - that doesn't happen and won't happen.  Again a single player with a gambling debt might be vulnerable but on a 53 man team it just doesn't happen. 

5.  This whole thing is just inane and stupid and I have to say I will make me take the opinions of those espousing it with much less seriousness from this point forward. 

The games can appear less rigged because refs only need to act when necessary. 

The latest OK State vs Oklahoma is a good example.

It appeared as though the refs wanted Oklahoma to win the game. That doesn't mean they had to call a penalty every play. For example, they didn't call any penalties against Oklahoma on the final drive. However, some necessary situations arose. OK State got a pretty clear interception, but was ruled an incomplete pass, as that was necessary for Oklahoma to win, an interception would have resulted in an OU loss. 

The refs didn't need to do anything on the TD pass as it was a fair and clean TD. It wasn't necessary to make a call. But they will act when the situation requires it.   

I don't believe that every game is rigged, or that they will try and make a team win at all costs. My main concern is how overpowered the referees are. A simplification of the rule book, and perhaps fewer 15 yard penalties/automatic first downs would go a long way to limiting the power refs hold. Also being able to challenge penalties might help. 

If the Chargers win the Super Bowl does not equal the NFL is fixed.  It means that if you can get into the dance anything can happen.

1.  Refs alone can't "fix" a season.  A ref could fix a game.  Things of that nature  have happened before, but not a conspiracy as huge as would be necessary for the NFL.

2.  If you had more than 2 or 3 people involved it would NEVER stay quiet.  This is where all conspiracy theories go wrong.  People talk.  People file lawsuits to make money. 

3.  Players move around.  If a player on team A that "fixes" a game moves to team "B" who's game was fixed he stays quiet?!  Yeah right! 

4.  You would have to have teams willing to lay down and let another team win - that doesn't happen and won't happen.  Again a single player with a gambling debt might be vulnerable but on a 53 man team it just doesn't happen. 

5.  This whole thing is just inane and stupid and I have to say I will make me take the opinions of those espousing it with much less seriousness from this point forward. 

You are a sensible man. It appears common sense isn't very common.  

If the Chargers win the Super Bowl does not equal the NFL is fixed. It means that if you can get into the dance anything can happen.

1. Refs alone can't "fix" a season. A ref could fix a game. Things of that nature have happened before, but not a conspiracy as huge as would be necessary for the NFL.

2. If you had more than 2 or 3 people involved it would NEVER stay quiet. This is where all conspiracy theories go wrong. People talk. People file lawsuits to make money.

3. Players move around. If a player on team A that "fixes" a game moves to team "B" who's game was fixed he stays quiet?! Yeah right!

4. You would have to have teams willing to lay down and let another team win - that doesn't happen and won't happen. Again a single player with a gambling debt might be vulnerable but on a 53 man team it just doesn't happen.

5. This whole thing is just inane and stupid and I have to say I will make me take the opinions of those espousing it with much less seriousness from this point forward.

Lol you're a chargers fan course you would say that.

1. Is wrong

2. Is amazingly wrong and naive as far as people not talking goes. Statement of non disclosure.

3. Refs aren't players and can affect a game the most. Ie the ravens SB run.

4. See 3.

5. Chill man. I was just saying I hope they do win and I can look back and laugh.

please do not link to content that we would not allow here (racism.......profanity etc) also please do not copy and past posts from other forums, there has been far too much of that lately

We do not allow links to other forums because we do not want to get something started with another board. Copying and pasting is the same thing

please don't do it